Tomatenquark collaboration?

Tomatenquark collaboration?

Postby Julius » 03 Jun 2020, 20:18

As mentioned in the other thread, maybe a good idea to look into Tomatenquark: https://tomatenquark.org/

It is a libre take on Sauerbraten, which is using the same or at least very similar engine as Blue Nebula.
Julius
Community Moderator

Re: Tomatenquark collaboration?

Postby Julius » 03 Jun 2020, 20:19

There is also: https://inexor.org/

Not sure about the status of it though. They seem to diverge significantly from the normal Cube2 engine though. Edit: ah, they restarted from ground up, but with a similar technical design.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby TheAssassin0 » 04 Jun 2020, 17:06

freem has got in touch with Tomatenquark. There might be some potential for collaboration in terms of development, we'll have to see.

The main person behind Tomatenquark is also a (former?) Inexor dev. Inexor is not a Cube 2 fork any more, they started over AFAICS.

Maybe we can host some events or make marketing for each other? Non-development collaboration, basically.
TheAssassin0
BN Moderator

Postby freem » 05 Jun 2020, 14:51

I should go back to their discord someday, but am pretty busy with personal stuff to do those days.

In short, this more a "why not" for now, nothing more. The easiest stuff we could share are probably tools and hints (which would already be a lot) when one of our side find interesting stuff or have problems. I only spent few hours on their discord after all.
freem
BN Moderator

Postby charlie » 11 Jul 2020, 14:13

Whatever happened to http://tesseract.gg and is it similar enough to Sauerbraten to use?
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Julius » 11 Jul 2020, 14:30

I think that upstream RE implemented the Tesseract rendering engine is one of the reasons for this fork. I might be wrong though :cool:
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby TheAssassin0 » 20 Jul 2020, 11:30

A minor one, at most. Let me cite our README:

Blue Nebula is a fork of Red Eclipse 1. While the Red Eclipse team have moved their game on to another engine for their latest release, 2.0, this also meant a total conversion of the gameplay, in our opinion sacrificing some of the best aspects.

IMO tesseract is more of a tech demo than an actual game to play. There's been some forks or ports of other games onto its engine.
TheAssassin0
BN Moderator