Tomatenquark collaboration?

Tomatenquark collaboration?

Postby Julius » 03 Jun 2020, 20:18

As mentioned in the other thread, maybe a good idea to look into Tomatenquark: https://tomatenquark.org/

It is a libre take on Sauerbraten, which is using the same or at least very similar engine as Blue Nebula.
“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away.” - Philip K. Dick
Julius
Community Moderator

Re: Tomatenquark collaboration?

Postby Julius » 03 Jun 2020, 20:19

There is also: https://inexor.org/

Not sure about the status of it though. They seem to diverge significantly from the normal Cube2 engine though. Edit: ah, they restarted from ground up, but with a similar technical design.
“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away.” - Philip K. Dick
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby TheAssassin0 » 04 Jun 2020, 17:06

freem has got in touch with Tomatenquark. There might be some potential for collaboration in terms of development, we'll have to see.

The main person behind Tomatenquark is also a (former?) Inexor dev. Inexor is not a Cube 2 fork any more, they started over AFAICS.

Maybe we can host some events or make marketing for each other? Non-development collaboration, basically.
TheAssassin0
BN Moderator

Postby freem » 05 Jun 2020, 14:51

I should go back to their discord someday, but am pretty busy with personal stuff to do those days.

In short, this more a "why not" for now, nothing more. The easiest stuff we could share are probably tools and hints (which would already be a lot) when one of our side find interesting stuff or have problems. I only spent few hours on their discord after all.
freem
BN Moderator

Postby charlie » 11 Jul 2020, 14:13

Whatever happened to http://tesseract.gg and is it similar enough to Sauerbraten to use?
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Julius » 11 Jul 2020, 14:30

I think that upstream RE implemented the Tesseract rendering engine is one of the reasons for this fork. I might be wrong though :cool:
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby TheAssassin0 » 20 Jul 2020, 11:30

A minor one, at most. Let me cite our README:

Blue Nebula is a fork of Red Eclipse 1. While the Red Eclipse team have moved their game on to another engine for their latest release, 2.0, this also meant a total conversion of the gameplay, in our opinion sacrificing some of the best aspects.

IMO tesseract is more of a tech demo than an actual game to play. There's been some forks or ports of other games onto its engine.
TheAssassin0
BN Moderator