Hard mutator in races?

Hard mutator in races?

Postby Norakam » 31 Jul 2020, 15:55

I have an idea. What if we make it possible to select the 'hard' mutator in races. This would mean that you don't respawn at checkpoints. This would make it harder to complete a lap but it would also be preferred by some people (especially with the 'timed' mutator) because it would make it faster to return to the start so you don't have to suicide after every time you die.
Norakam

Re: Hard mutator in races?

Postby TheAssassin0 » 01 Aug 2020, 11:38

Good idea. For the easier maps, this'll increase the fun factor for experienced players in the race mode. I think a gamemode-specific mutator would be better here, as hard already is known as "disables radar and regeneration". We could replace one of the already existing ones (pretty sure gauntlet is hardly ever played). OTOH, reusing hard has one interesting advantage: it could likely be done in a backwards compatible manner, i.e., existing RE clients could play on BN servers, vote for the mode and make use of it without any problems.
TheAssassin0
BN Moderator

Postby shacknetisp » 01 Aug 2020, 14:28

For the convenience aspect, there is already a checkpointspawn variable (client-side) that can disable respawning if you're working toward a record rather than just completion.
I am Beha
shacknetisp

Postby Norakam » 01 Aug 2020, 20:15

shacknetisp {l Wrote}:For the convenience aspect, there is already a checkpointspawn variable (client-side) that can disable respawning if you're working toward a record rather than just completion.

Ooh I didn't know about that variable. I will definitely use it in all races from now. :) That's actually better than a mutator too because everyone can do it the way they like.
Norakam