Special maps for events

Special maps for events

Postby TheAssassin0 » 08 Jun 2020, 14:30

Many games provide some specials on certain days in the year. For instance, Halloween or Christmas. I think it'll be a good idea to implement such events in Blue Nebula, too.

There are a few Blue Nebula maps that might work for days like Easter, Halloween, Christmas etc. For Halloween, there's a deli remix, ghost night might work, too. For Christmas, we have a remix of dutility. And we could imagine a lot more. I could imagine to just add e.g., snow to a map and maybe a few more details, et voilà, you got a Christmas map.

What do you think? Should we do such events? Maybe you have own ideas for additional events?

Note: of course, such events could only be held on servers that participate. Those will be likely the servers operated by our team (as of yet, we don't have official servers), perhaps we're going to implement some update/distribution system for this purpose.
TheAssassin0
BN Moderator

Re: Special maps for events

Postby freem » 08 Jun 2020, 16:13

Interesting idea, but at least for dutily chrismas (on this one, I even prefer the variation to the original) there's a bit of rework to do. In dutily's case, I think the jumpers's area of effect is too small, for example. Easy to fix, of course, but there is something that annoys me with Cube2's map system: only one author, and no real way to have variation, AFAIK.
Another problem is, we don't have much maps. Playing only one map on some days would be... boring.
freem
BN Moderator

Postby Lyberta » 09 Jun 2020, 03:05

Deleted.
Last edited by Lyberta on 01 Oct 2021, 03:58, edited 1 time in total.
Lyberta

Postby Matadula » 14 Jun 2020, 21:56

Sounds good. I would like if those special maps where only temporarily available, so they really felt "special" :)
Matadula

Postby freem » 18 Jun 2020, 02:32

you would need to convince server owners first though?
freem
BN Moderator

Postby TheAssassin0 » 18 Jun 2020, 14:18

The idea is to do it on our own servers, i.e., the servers us BN devs run, or any official ones we might have set up until then. Other server operators are of course free to join us. We might just provide a map/config pack for them somewhere. We could even provide special Docker containers.
TheAssassin0
BN Moderator