Re: I built a big city

Postby Julius » 23 Jan 2020, 22:46

I smell cheating with a level editor. The coastine is too boxy :p
Julius
Community Moderator

Re: I built a big city

Postby Wuzzy » 26 Jan 2020, 01:41

No cheating here. :cool:
This is played in version 2019.1 in the default scenario “The_Unknown” which I just played waaay beyond the main objective. The coastline is identical, you can verify it.

I can't remember how long it took me to build this, but I did play all day or three. My latest savegame tells me I saved “77 times”. ^^

I'm also surprised how well it turned out. Initially the city was much smaller with much more economy buildings. But then I said to myself “screw it!” and demolished as many economy buildings as I could (before it would become unsustainable) to make more room for houses. Seriously, I did not expect to be able to cram so many houses on the island without the economy crashing down. But it's is surprisingly stable. Turns out, your people are much more forgiving if you don't meet some of their demands (even at high levels) if taxes are low. With minimum taxes, they seem only to get angry if you fail, like, most demands or basic demands.

First step was to first … well, just win the scenario. That took the longest, since most of the building types were new to me and I struggled for a long time with huge money loss.
Build up the economy and advance to the highest stages, also keeping the taxes low. And meet the demands. OK, easier said than done … Eventually I reached a critical point in which I could reduce tax for everyone, and later even minimum, at which point the people flood in like crazy and I still made a ton of money simply because there's so many paying citizens. ^^ I noticed that low taxes can really attract citizens fast. In early stages I wouldn't recommend low taxes as it can make you bankrupt dangerously fast. You kind have to find the sweet spot in which you still make enough money to pay operation costs but don't scare away people.

Anyway, I definitely had a lot of fun. :)

Even if the game is still incomplete.

EDIT: I should probably add that while I crushed most economy buildings, I have a LOT of fisher huts and salt works. First, food is very important. Fishermen and salt works have the advantage that they occupy coastlines instead of the mainland, so I could spam the entire coastline with them without losing any buildable land that houses need. :)
Attachments
Crazy_Neuland_2.zip
My savegame
(398.06 KiB) Downloaded 289 times
Wuzzy