New iconset

New iconset

Postby jymis » 04 Sep 2016, 18:51

Here comes the new iconset (in progression, so post subject to updates)

(Click on picture to enlarge it, better for seeing it)

Do we have a problem wtih Beastie license ? (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BSD_Daemon) even so i've done a CCBYSA3 license file meantime you check it.
Attachments
iconset_board.png
Last edited by jymis on 07 Feb 2017, 10:55, edited 9 times in total.
jymis

Re: New iconset

Postby Ludsky » 04 Sep 2016, 19:53

I Love Your Icons (Gavroche my favorite ♥)

What is the second kart oh part "Others" ?
Ludsky

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 04 Sep 2016, 20:50

This is a nice WIP set. :)
I don't know if everyone agrees, but, IMO, the icons should look as closely as possible compared to the characters on the karts. Adiumy and GNU are the least similar.
Last edited by GeekPenguinBR on 06 Sep 2016, 01:13, edited 1 time in total.
"Making cool harmless games makes the world a better place".
GeekPenguinBR

Postby jymis » 04 Sep 2016, 21:24

@Ludsky:
Thanks !
It's Godot \o/

GeekPenguinBR {l Wrote}:This is a nice WIP set. :)

Thank you !

GeekPenguinBR {l Wrote}:I don't know if everyone agrees, but, IMO, the icons should look as closely as possible compared to the characters on the karts. Adiumy and GNU are, the least similar.

Yay, we have to improve both, their icons and their 3d model.
Even if I do better icons now, be sure that we will make models that fits.
jymis

Postby ArDanWol » 04 Sep 2016, 23:44

jymis {l Wrote}:Yay, we have to improve both, their icons and their 3d model.
Even if I do better icons now, be sure that we will make models that fits.

Aduimy got a makeover in 0.9. I don't think we need to change him again.
I'm know pretty much everywhere else on the internet as "Kpenguin"
"Profanity is one language all computer users know" - Murphy's 50th Law of Computers
Software bugs are impossible to detect by anybody except the end user - Murphy's 31st law of software
Each computer code has five bugs, regardless of how many bugs have been already found - Murphy's 50th law of software
"That's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature!"
ArDanWol

Postby Auria » 05 Sep 2016, 00:25

Looks nice, though I'm a little unsure about the Xue and Pidgin ones, i think I prefer the current icons for those. The other ones look great!

Generally speaking, we should also first determine why we need to change icons? What is the goal? Most current icons look pretty good so it would nice to have some sense of why we'd change them before you work a lot on that? For Hexley, I agree it could more in line with the others. I'm not sure however why the Xue icon would need changing?
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby 0zone0ne » 05 Sep 2016, 03:06

I feel like if all the character icons have to be redone, they should be done to match the rest of the game's art style. Right now they don't really look like they fit to me. I'm not completely familiar with the style myself (samuncle is here for that) but maybe going for an almost oil-painted look would be more suitable?
0zone0ne

Postby Akien » 05 Sep 2016, 07:54

jymis {l Wrote}:@Ludsky:
Thanks !
It's Godot \o/

A thousand kudos to whoever contributes a Godot kart for STK! \o/ Might ask around in the Godot community, who knows :D
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby Ludsky » 05 Sep 2016, 08:35

Auria {l Wrote}:Looks nice, though I'm a little unsure about the Xue and Pidgin ones, i think I prefer the current icons for those. The other ones look great!

I'm agree with you, i have already say this on the topic : Wilber 2016.
Ludsky

Postby jymis » 05 Sep 2016, 10:59

Just added Gnu, Duke and Tux.

Picture above updated.

It seems that Duke is under BSD license so, as Beastie and maybe Hexley, feel free to change that in my text and svg files.

@Auria:
The goal is simple and obvious: design harmony. There's no patchwork of icon's designs in other games (i mean beautiful games, designed only by a pro team, even if sometimes players propose ideas which are retained but redesigned by the team), otherwise it would look weird. Icons have the same inline, the same outline, the same kind of shadow and lights, morpho, typo, ect.
As i said in Wilber's post, Amanda and Emule are the goodest made between all the old icons, that's why i will remake them in last. For Amanda i think i'll just add my white inline which be visible on top ears only, but that's for the harmony; sad that i can't find the svg file btw.
I'm hesitating too for Xue's one. My problem is, 1, that the current one doesn't fit with new icon's design (but you already know that by my lines above), 2, that Xfce's mouse doesn't have any iris (and that's the case ingame too), 3, that the current shape is flatlike.
If you prefer i can only add to the current Xue's icon my white inline style, put the 2-3 icons existing in comparison in another post, and organize a vote ?
My problem with my Pidgin's version is more the eyes, but for you it's the whole shape, yes ? I think i'll do a second proposal for Pidgin, but can you seriously tell me that you prefer without any more explanations the pale old one. It's a bit demoralizing. Please think to graphists who sadly works for commercial companies and where we often say to them ‹ Hum, i prefer that proposal, yes, the 'less pretty one', why ? Because people doesn't know art, color theory, they like shrill things, maybe because they can do the same, maybe because they buy it more › ;(
I respect the person who did the current one, because he conrtributed to a game that was at start intended for childs. But it's old…
If i've did it like this it's because i've thinking to better 3d design at the same time. That's why i've made Tux like this too. Of course it can chance, but even if you dislike my current one can you seriously prefer the old one ? Everyone ? x)

@0zone0ne:
It seems to me that samuncle prefer works on environments (we talked recently about our involvements for the game).
Oil-painted would be gorgeous maybe, but if there's someone who can do that here, i think he would have appeared. Plus, certainly the team prefer works with vector art, because it's more convenient. Raster graphics are victims to quality loss when resizing. If you want to resize raster graphics, you have to make large pictures, so enormous files. And a vectorial oil-painted would not really be anymore oil-painted, and would take too much days of work for one icon. :/

@Akien:
Maybe I'll make one kart for Godot (of course i have some ideas for him, otherwise he wouldn't be here ^^), but not this year i think: current roster first :)
Last edited by jymis on 25 Feb 2017, 00:23, edited 1 time in total.
jymis

Postby Ludsky » 05 Sep 2016, 20:15

Gnu icon is very good but i don't like Tux icon (same as Pidgin for me). For Tux & Pidgin : It will be great to put just a head (remove the neck).
Ludsky

Postby Auria » 05 Sep 2016, 23:50

Sorry for not giving more details. Sometimes it's hard to describe!

For pidgin I agree with Ludsky that he looks like he was beheaded ;) a head without a neck would probably be better (though i must admit that somehow I don't really have a problem with the Tux icon, despite it being very similar... I can't really explain why sorry)
For your Xue icon, it's hard to describe, she looks "shocked" or "suprised"

Regarding the Duke, I don't think we want the duke in STK at all. I'm not sure if the design of the duke is open-source or not, but I don't think we want to start borrowing stuff that belongs to Oracle. Also, all other characters are animals or humanoids and the duke doesn't fit that design

Apart from that, I really like your Beastie, Tux and Hexley icons!
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 06 Sep 2016, 00:39

Hi, Again!

Another different opinion to help you (or maybe, to confuse you even more :lol: ):

GNU
You did a very good job on GNU! :)

jymis {l Wrote}:Plus, certainly the team prefer works with vector art, because it's more convenient. Raster graphics are victims to quality loss when resizing. If you want to resize raster graphics, you have to make large pictures, so enormous files.

Totally correct! Even more when we talk about small icons.

TUX
Not only GNU is very well done, but the other icons are really very good too, however, about Tux I tend to agree with Ludsky. IMHO, your Tux (which is really very well made) has some physical treats best appropriated for female characters. The mix of big eyes, the small beak and the neck's contour with a bell shape like a coca-cola bottle or a thinner waist, give some delicate appearance, what is most appropriated for a female character. This is just a different point of view expressed by a different artist, not a harsh criticism, of course.

Humans are programmed to recognize as male characters those ones who look stronger due to certain physical details, while the most delicate shapes are interpreted as female (feminists will hate this, but that's the way the things are. Period). Instead the small beak and a thinner neck, a male character should have larger neck and beak. I'm not saying that your Tux looks girlish, but, with some other details added, your icon could perfectly fit Penny, if she will be part of the game again. However, your Tux is already ok. ;)

As example, I made a Tux over yours, but giving him more masculine treats like a bigger beak and a larger neck.
Tux Icon.jpg

XUE
I know it was intentional, but, maybe with iris and pupil, Xue may looks less "shocked" or "suprised".
Xue.jpg
Xue.jpg (20.55 KiB) Viewed 28279 times

Wait for more comments. If some people have the same impression ("Xue looks scared" or something thus), this is a feedback you should consider, IMO.

Anyway, your set of new icons is very well made and I can't wait to see Elephant, Amanda and Adiumy. :D
GeekPenguinBR

Postby jymis » 09 Sep 2016, 13:03

Thanks for your explanations and reviews !

@GeekPenguinBR: excellent Penny version ^^ even if it's not plan to reintegrate her to the roster.

I'll see what i can improve after the karts i'm reworking will be finished.

Debate: do you think Elephpant have to possess tusks or not ?
jymis

Postby ArDanWol » 09 Sep 2016, 14:30

jymis {l Wrote}:Debate: do you think Elephpant have to possess tusks or not ?

No. His 3D character doesn't have tusks, does it? Please correct me if i'm wrong.
"Profanity is one language all computer users know" - Murphy's 50th Law of Computers
Software bugs are impossible to detect by anybody except the end user - Murphy's 31st law of software
Each computer code has five bugs, regardless of how many bugs have been already found - Murphy's 50th law of software
ArDanWol

Postby jymis » 09 Sep 2016, 17:40

Elephpant and Puffy added.

Picture above updated.

Enjoy !
Last edited by jymis on 25 Feb 2017, 00:24, edited 1 time in total.
jymis

Postby Ludsky » 09 Sep 2016, 20:01

Elephant is good :) Puffy is so lol :p So strange, i like ^^

Good Job ;)
Ludsky

Postby ArDanWol » 09 Sep 2016, 20:53

Puffy looks tired
ArDanWol

Postby jymis » 09 Sep 2016, 22:38

ArDanWol {l Wrote}:Puffy looks tired

Far view indeed. But with good size i don't feel that
jymis

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 10 Sep 2016, 03:04

jymis {l Wrote}:@GeekPenguinBR: excellent Penny version ^^
:)

Good job on the icons! Half job already done. :D
GeekPenguinBR

Postby jymis » 10 Sep 2016, 09:49

Alternative proposal for Xue.
Attachments
iconset_xue_comparison.png
iconset_xue_comparison.png (77 KiB) Viewed 28025 times
jymis

Postby Ludsky » 10 Sep 2016, 18:32

Sorry, but i don't like your alternative icon, i prefer your old (than i do'nt like also)

For the moment i prefer current icon for Xue
Ludsky

Postby Auria » 11 Sep 2016, 00:44

I like most of your icons, but regarding Xue I think I also agree the current one is better, maybe we can stay closer to that? I understand the need to make things uniform but we are also allowed to keep what works well
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby jymis » 11 Sep 2016, 21:04

Fear my Pidgins army !
I introduce to you: Robert Pidgin, Maxwell Pidgin, …

More seriously, it's hard to make a choice currently, help me all, say me the one you prefer. :)

edit: updated iconset progression picture for Amanda's arrival !
Attachments
pidginicons.png
jymis

Postby ArDanWol » 12 Sep 2016, 03:17

I personally like Pidgin Harry, Pidgin Larry, and Pidgin Terry...

In all seriousness I like 1, 5, and 7 the best.
ArDanWol