Want to make FOSS "sequel" to ROTC: ETH. Stuck! Need advice.

Re: Want to make FOSS "sequel" to ROTC: ETH. Stuck! Need adv

Postby Julius » 21 Nov 2013, 07:36

On the second part: Would be cool and 1500$ seems possible, but the current lack of a usable Linux port of Torque3D MIT (AFAIK) will severely limit the interest by the core potential funders.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Julius » 25 Nov 2013, 18:27

You can try it anyways though... and it looks like a Torque3D linux port will materialize eventually.

Try avoiding anything that needs advanced lightning though, as the current opengl port doesn't support that (yet).

Would be definitely nice to see ROTC fully open-source (and maybe improved further)!
A FOSS cyberspace Tribes like game would be soo awesome ;)
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby fr1tz » 08 Dec 2013, 00:01

Alright, the crowdsourcing campaign for an open-source version of Revenge Of The Cats: Ethernet is now online: http://igg.me/p/597505/x/2337550 Warning: Contains video with strongly swiss-german-accented english :)
fr1tz
RotC Moderator

Postby Julius » 08 Dec 2013, 15:11

Great, posted about it on the blog and also contributed to the campaign:
http://freegamer.blogspot.com/2013/12/h ... fully.html
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Julius » 25 Jan 2014, 14:05

Cool updated website:
http://ethernet.wasted.ch/

One week left to liberate and update RotC and $1048 (of 1500) pledged.
Looks like we can make it with a final promotion drive.

Have you talked to the Project GREED people of the Torque3D fork? Could be a nice sample game for their project and maybe someone from there wants to donate too.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Julius » 25 Jan 2014, 14:11

P.S.: How about making an update on the indigogo page showing off some of the sequel progress you have shown in this thread to excite people about what additional game-modes could show up in this game in the future?
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby fr1tz » 27 Jan 2014, 18:22

Hi Julius. First off all thanks for contributing and promoting the campaign. It helped a lot :)

P.S.: How about making an update on the indigogo page showing off some of the sequel progress you have shown in this thread to excite people about what additional game-modes could show up in this game in the future?

Naw, the gameplay is still way too clunky plus the existing footage kinda sucks and I don't have the time or means to produce anything better. Also, the visitors-to-pledges ratio is actually pretty decent. The problem is just that the IndieGoGo page doesn't get that many visitors in the first place.

Have you talked to the Project GREED people of the Torque3D fork? Could be a nice sample game for their project and maybe someone from there wants to donate too.

I haven't. Great idea, thanks.
fr1tz
RotC Moderator

Postby Julius » 27 Jan 2014, 19:29

Well, interesting project updates give other websites an excuse to publish something about the campaign again *hint* :)
(Although I think the potential of our site has been maxed out)

I also think you can push the MacOSX port a bit more, seems equally likely as the Linux port by now.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby fr1tz » 27 Jan 2014, 23:17

IndieDB is my best bet to reach a lot of people. But so far they refused to show my news submissions about the campaign on the homepage (including the one announcing linux support). Maybe it's just a matter of the right admin looking at it, since there are quite a lot of "low content"/kickstarter-pimping articles there.
fr1tz
RotC Moderator

Postby Julius » 30 Jan 2014, 12:49

Congrats for the successful indigogo! I think that link on the linux-gaming reddit group really helped (who ever did it).

Any stretch goals for the last 48h?
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Julius » 30 Jan 2014, 16:11

Another thing: now that RotC is going to be fully open-source we could set you up with a sub-forum on here. Generally that should give you better options and more likely interaction with open-source developers than on indiedb (where the current link to forums points at on your website).
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby fr1tz » 30 Jan 2014, 18:39

Yay! Thanks to everybody who helped make it happen!

A forum here would be great. But what name? Perhaps "OpenROTC" until the new name for the game has been voted on?

I've been trying to think of stretch goals. Occulus rift support would be nice, but that's probably too expensive. I'm already going to contribute a chunk of the 1500 bucks to Luis' campaign for more/better ports of the engine once it goes live, so maybe a "half of all the money raised over $1500 will be added to that chunk" kinda thing?

Other suggestions very much welcome :)
fr1tz
RotC Moderator

Postby Julius » 30 Jan 2014, 22:08

I guess since Occulus support is already in Torque3D this will show up quickly by someone who has a dev. kit already.

Support of the Linux Porting effort is cool, but I think Luis has already contributed to your campaign, so that would be just sending money in circles ;)

Maybe for a stretch goal you can think about controller (and on-screen control) support, given that a Android version of Torque3D is planned? Not sure how easy that would be.

I will talk to the other admins about the forum, I think changing the name later doesn't pose a problem either.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Julius » 01 Feb 2014, 15:10

Forum now available here: viewforum.php?f=87

Once this takes off we can add more subforums if wanted.
Julius
Community Moderator