SuperTuxKart 0.8.1 Release

Re: SuperTuxKart 0.8.1 Release

Postby heyda » 27 Nov 2013, 20:57

Hi, I like to thank you all for the nice update and all your hard work at STK 0.8.1 :)

Just one last question to me: When will the Ubuntu PPA can be updated, so I can promote the update at my social networks?

Good job!
heyda

Postby Auria » 28 Nov 2013, 00:17

heyda {l Wrote}:Hi, I like to thank you all for the nice update and all your hard work at STK 0.8.1 :)

Just one last question to me: When will the Ubuntu PPA can be updated, so I can promote the update at my social networks?

Good job!

There is no "official" PPA, so we cannot say; all PPAs are maintained by external contributors and we do not know when they will update their PPA
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby kosmi » 28 Nov 2013, 06:40

Thanks for fixing some npots from rc version :cool: .

But why Hacienda track is so slower now :o , it is maybe 3 times slower then in 0.8... something in that house make it slower :think: .
kosmi

Postby kosmi » 28 Nov 2013, 07:35

hacienda_track.b3d file iz now 4.4 times bigger, seems to me that make it slower for me ;). Actualy it started to be slower with [r12354] of blend file:

http://sourceforge.net/p/supertuxkart/c ... enda.blend

Says "Minor modification to hacienda by samuncle", but who knows what is that minor modification that make it 3 times slower :).

edit:
Then "Revert accidental subdivision of the hacienda house" i tried that also, that make it half in size but that does not revert speed :D .

Yep ;) with r12354 blend file is 1.5 MB and exported it is 3.2 MB.

Just before that in r12085: blend is 674.6 KB and exported size is 475.7 KB.

I am not experianced in bledering so don't know the cause, i just see metal_transfo.png and transformer is added :oops: .
kosmi

Postby samuncle » 28 Nov 2013, 12:31

Yes that's true. I increased the poly count of hacienda.

Now the track is smoother and less bumpy. The driving is better.

Unfortunately everything has a cost so yes more poly = more things for the gpu = a bit slower.
But keep in mind that our current bottleneck is animations. Not the polycount.

The first version of hacienda had 6000 poly.

Next gen tracks will have 150 000 poly.
samuncle
STK Moderator

Postby kosmi » 28 Nov 2013, 14:29

samuncle {l Wrote}: The first version of hacienda had 6000 poly. Next gen tracks will have 150 000 poly.

No, i don't like what you write :D .
kosmi

Postby heyda » 28 Nov 2013, 20:47

Auria {l Wrote}:
heyda {l Wrote}:Hi, I like to thank you all for the nice update and all your hard work at STK 0.8.1 :)

Good job!

There is no "official" PPA, so we cannot say; all PPAs are maintained by external contributors and we do not know when they will update their PPA

I see and accept the answer ;) But please don't forget, that a lot of your users are maybe basic linux users and might only benefit, if they get STK via their OS package manager. Don't worry, I will just wait :)
heyda

Postby Arthur » 29 Nov 2013, 00:18

Yeah most distros package the game for their users so they can get it from their OS package managers once they have updated it. There are different policies among the distros for updates but that is really not anything we can do about.

Though we'd welcome any volunteer(s) for helping us release .deb or other formats on release day.
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby xeno74 » 30 Nov 2013, 09:53

Image Image

There are good news about the 0.8.1 FreeBSD port:

Thanks for the notice, port update is in progress.

-- Dmitry Marakasov . 55B5 0596 FF1E 8D84 5F56 9510 D35A 80DD F9D2 F77D amdmi3@amdmi3.ru ..: jabber: amdmi3@jabber.ru http://www.amdmi3.ru
xeno74

Postby Funto » 30 Nov 2013, 11:06

SuperTuxKart was featured on Phoronix: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTUyODM
SuperTuxKart 0.8.1 is sadly a rather minor update but does have a new racing track, several updated traces, "soccer" and "egg hunt" modes, new karts, Wiimote support, a new SuperTux difficulty level, and other new in-game assets and effects.

Discussion here: http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?89682-SuperTuxKart-0-8-1-Linux-Racing-Game-Speeds-Ahead
Funto

Postby vicocorico » 30 Nov 2013, 14:10

Congratulations for the new release!
The game is truly getting greater and greater each time!

I wanted to mention one little "bug":
When trying to win a challenge in the story mode, a time limit is often involved with a countdown on the top right of the screen (for instance 50:00 seconds).
If the countdown goes to zero the message "Challenge failed" is displayed in red. But it can happen that this red message is displayed even if the challenge has been won. This happens if you cross the finish line some milliseconds before the end (at 49:95 sec for instance). The countdown will not stop and display "Challenge failed" for 1 or two sec before the final results are printed on the screen. And this, even if after that your time in the final board is shown as 49:95 and the game credits you for having won the challenge.
I just find it a little bit disturbing: in close final rush, when you sprint for the finish line while looking at the clock and first think you lost because of the message but finally notice that you won.
vicocorico

Postby Auria » 30 Nov 2013, 20:58

vicocorico {l Wrote}:Congratulations for the new release!
The game is truly getting greater and greater each time!

I wanted to mention one little "bug":
When trying to win a challenge in the story mode, a time limit is often involved with a countdown on the top right of the screen (for instance 50:00 seconds).
If the countdown goes to zero the message "Challenge failed" is displayed in red. But it can happen that this red message is displayed even if the challenge has been won. This happens if you cross the finish line some milliseconds before the end (at 49:95 sec for instance). The countdown will not stop and display "Challenge failed" for 1 or two sec before the final results are printed on the screen. And this, even if after that your time in the final board is shown as 49:95 and the game credits you for having won the challenge.
I just find it a little bit disturbing: in close final rush, when you sprint for the finish line while looking at the clock and first think you lost because of the message but finally notice that you won.

Hi,

you are right, I have created a ticket : https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/super ... icket/1118

We will look to fix that for next release
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby NeonKnightOA » 01 Dec 2013, 15:27

First, I want to congratulate the dev team for creating such an awesome game.
I've been playing the game since 0.6, but only recently I've registered into these forums. :P
Clearly, the game has evolved in such a very great way. 0.8.1 and 0.8.0 have proven to be very good steps in the right direction.

"Practice good sportsmanship. You were a n00b once, too." - UT3 advice
"The ratio of critics to creators is something like 10,000:1. The ratio of good critics to bad: 1:10,000." - Fast Eddie
"The ones who speak loudest, are usually the least productive" - Skillz, UTFiles admin
"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody" - Bill Cosby
NeonKnightOA

Postby Auria » 01 Dec 2013, 17:48

NeonKnightOA {l Wrote}:First, I want to congratulate the dev team for creating such an awesome game.
I've been playing the game since 0.6, but only recently I've registered into these forums. :P
Clearly, the game has evolved in such a very great way. 0.8.1 and 0.8.0 have proven to be very good steps in the right direction.

Thanks!
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby ctdabomb » 01 Dec 2013, 21:36

Whoops :p how did I miss this? congrats! sorry I haven't been around as much lately.
Some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help smiling when you shove them down the stairs.
ctdabomb

Postby schnitzel » 03 Dec 2013, 11:09

Excuse my noobness. I can't seem to find how to post a separate thread. So posting here. Concerning the multiplayer mode: I can't find any split screen option there. Also what are the requirements to play split screen? I guess I need more than only one keyboards, no?
schnitzel

Postby Auria » 04 Dec 2013, 00:14

schnitzel {l Wrote}:Excuse my noobness. I can't seem to find how to post a separate thread. So posting here. Concerning the multiplayer mode: I can't find any split screen option there. Also what are the requirements to play split screen? I guess I need more than only one keyboards, no?

Multiple gamepads is recommended. However, if you only have keyboards, then you can go in the options screen and add a second keyboard configuration that uses different keys. Then when you start a multiplayer game, each player can press their fire key
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby xeno74 » 05 Dec 2013, 19:40

xeno74 {l Wrote}:Image Image

There are good news about the 0.8.1 FreeBSD port:

Thanks for the notice, port update is in progress.

-- Dmitry Marakasov . 55B5 0596 FF1E 8D84 5F56 9510 D35A 80DD F9D2 F77D amdmi3@amdmi3.ru ..: jabber: amdmi3@jabber.ru http://www.amdmi3.ru

SuperTuxKart 0.8.1 for FreeBSD is here!!!!!! --> --> --> --> http://www.freshports.org/games/supertuxkart :)
xeno74

Postby galaxy51 » 06 Dec 2013, 21:25

Newer is better by default?
The new release seems to follow that slogan.
There are many really really exciting new features in it, they were mentioned yet, and I love them! But on the other hand assets of the game got obviously hurt by doing too much.
All your good and amazing work got damaged in the end by overshooting.
So how could you murder the „Old Mine“ track? It is dead as a doornail, at the best it's a zombie. And what is that curious thing „STK Enterprise“ good for?
I cant even imagine, not to mention see, where I have to drive on. „Unplayable both they are“ like the little green man would say.
„Adjust the brightness of your monitor“ was your advise with the last release (I love such ... advise!).
Shouldn't it be possible to play your game without a night vision device?
galaxy
galaxy51

Postby charlie » 06 Dec 2013, 21:57

galaxy51 {l Wrote}:Newer is better by default?
Shouldn't it be possible to play your game without a night vision device?
galaxy

Good news! This will no longer be a problem for you! However you may need to compile SVN unless you can wait for 0.8.2 to tweak your STK visual experience.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby samuncle » 06 Dec 2013, 23:05

Hello galaxy51
Newer is better by default?
The new release seems to follow that slogan.

Yep that is what we are trying to do ^^.

There are many really really exciting new features in it, they were mentioned yet, and I love them!

But on the other hand assets of the game got obviously hurt by doing too much.
All your good and amazing work got damaged in the end by overshooting.
So how could you murder the „Old Mine“ track? It is dead as a doornail, at the best it's a zombie.

The old mine was completely redone (The topology is much better now). The problem is lights. Currently supertuxkart uses multiplicative lightmap. So a texture can only become darker, not brighter. That's unfortunate but it's how the old fixed pipeline works :(.
I'm at 1000% aware of the problem, and I'm right now trying to find a solution. With the GSoC we a much better lighting system. We will probably have a kind of HDR to add more light to our tracks.

And what is that curious thing „STK Enterprise“ good for?

STK enterprise replaces the old stars track. You can argue about tastes and colours for hours, but in our opinion the new one is much better.

„Adjust the brightness of your monitor“ was your advise with the last release (I love such ... advise!).

It's sad but true :(. Many people have their monitor unbalanced and uncalibrated. As charlie saids it won't be a problem in the future since the artist and the player will be able to tweak the brightness of the game (the gamma color).

But currently it's a WIP feature and it's still not implemented in the options.

If you want to add more brightness in the mine or STK enterprise you can tweak yourself the lightmaps. The tracks are stored in "(where stk is installed)/data/tracks". Lightmaps are texture that store lights. They are similar to this one. You can tweak them in gimp (just add more light for instance) or you can remove them. You will loose shadows but the track will become brighter.
samuncle
STK Moderator

Postby Funto » 08 Dec 2013, 09:15

Charlie >> I wouldn't advise people to play on trunk except if it's just for testing (or developing of course), as it's very unstable now :)
Funto