Space Nerds In Space

Re: Space Nerds In Space

Postby charlie » 28 May 2013, 16:22

It looks pretty cool. It really reminded me of something.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby smcameron » 04 Jun 2013, 04:43

Just a little progress update. I think all the wierd glitches in the 3D view have been sorted out now. If you've been keeping up with this thread and the videos so far, you may want to skip ahead to about the 5:00 minute mark to see the new stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhgPbECMtq8

-- steve
Last edited by smcameron on 12 Jul 2019, 16:13, edited 1 time in total.
smcameron

Postby smcameron » 12 Jun 2013, 05:16

Just another progress update, Jun 11, 2013:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7aaKKBogDk
Last edited by smcameron on 12 Jul 2019, 16:13, edited 1 time in total.
smcameron

Postby smcameron » 16 Jun 2013, 22:23

Tried to do a multiplayer run at Houston's hackerspace, TX/RX Labs today, but ran into technical issues with the network. It seems the machine hosting the server process would randomly get re-assigned a new IP address. Needless to say any TCP connections established with the old IP address ceased to work. The projector screen was also terribly washed out due to it being the daytime and light flooding in through the skylights. Maybe next week will be more successful.

snis-at-txrx by smcameron, on Flickr
smcameron

Postby farcodev » 16 Jun 2013, 23:28

Keep it up! :)
farcodev

Postby smcameron » 17 Jun 2013, 00:00

BTW, in case people want to try this game (in its current unfinished state), but don't have enough linux-using friends, here's how you make a bootable live dvd containing the game that can be run on windows machines without disturbing it at all, which is what I had done for the above picture, as all those machines are windows boxes. This does assume a 32-bit Mint 13 linux install (you could install it in a vm to make the dvds, I guess.) This worked for me... if it doesn't work for you, well, you're probably on your own for now.

{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
   Install the package "mintconstructor" from the repositories
   sudo apt-get install mintconstructor

Open a terminal
    Type sudo /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintConstructor/mintConstructor.py
    In the mintconstructor window that opens:
   In the "Directory" field, choose a directory for the ISO (use a new
   directory with nothing in it for this) Make sure to select the
   "New project" radio option
        Click the browse button on the right of the "ISO file" field and
   point it to your ISO file
   (in my case I used linuxmint-13-cinnamon-dvd-32bit.iso  from here: http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=105
        Click "Next" and then "Yes" to confirm.

Wait for it to do its thing for a bit, then click the button it
    presents to open a chrooted environment (it opens an xterm).  In
    the xterm:

apt-get install build-essential
    apt-get install portaudio19-dev
    apt-get install libvorbis-dev
    apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev
    apt-get install git
    apt-get install stgit
    apt-get install openscad

If the openscad package isn't around, you can get it from here:
http://www.openscad.org/downloads.html
 and then from outside the chrooted environment, copy
openscad-2013.0.x86-32.tar.gz into your chroot directory/root
   Then, back in the chrooted xterm:

cd /root
   tar xzvf openscad-2013.01.x86-32.tar.gz
   cd openscad-2013.01/
   ./install.sh
   cd ..

git clone https://github.com/smcameron/space-nerds-in-space.git
   cd space-nerds-in-space/
   make

(now Space Nerds in Space has been built within the chrooted env.)

Once you're finished making modifications, make sure to clean up with the following commands:

Now clean up the chrooted env (and yes aptitude takes the weird
    tilde options for some reason):

aptitude purge ~c
    aptitude unmarkauto ~M
    apt-get clean; rm -rf /var/cache/debconf/*.dat-old; rm -rf /var/lib/aptitude/*.old; rm -rf /var/lib/dpkg/*-old; rm -rf /var/cache/apt/*.bin; updatedb
    history -c
    rm /root/.bash_history
    rm /root/.nano_history
    history -c
    exit

(xterm will close)

Click Next
    Give your ISO a description (which will be embedded as the name of the CD
or USB stick onto which the ISO is burnt)  Don't pick too long of a name though
because if you do, it won't work.
    Click Next

Iso image will be made

Then to run the game, burn the iso to dvd several times, and boot up all your machines from dvd.

Open up a terminal, type "sudo su -"
(no password -- it's a live dvd)

Then, cd to space-nerds-in-space

Has to be root because we installed spacenerds in space into /root/space-nerds-in-space above when
making the dvd -- this could be worked around by chowning it all to user "mint", perhaps putting it someplace
else before making he ISO image, but I don't have the exact instructions to do that, and didn't think to do it,but
if you're paranoid, you probably want to think about that.

Repeat for several machines on your lan, say, five of them or so.

On one machine that is connected to a projector, note the IP address:
(run ifconfig to figure this out.)

Then start the snis client:

./snis_client

From there, start the lobby server on localhost, start the gameserver, connect to lobby, and connect to the gameserver.
Note the shipname and password you use (make up what you want).

On the remaining machines, start snis_client, replace the lobby host "localhost" with the ip address noted above, fill in only the shipname and password as above, and connect to the lobby, then to the gameserver. You can be choosy about the 'roles' for each station at this point, but you don't have to.

That's it.

edit: btw, prior to making live dvd iso's and burning a bunch of dvds, we tried to run the game in linux installed to virtual machines on the windows boxes -- that didn't work out so well, performance was kind of crap for whatever reason. With the dvds, performance was fine at least for the few minutes the network was working.

-- steve
smcameron

Postby charlie » 17 Jun 2013, 10:25

That's good info steve. My one concern is that you don't just leave it here in the forum but get it up on the website.

Do you even have a website yet? :shock:

A github wiki would do...
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby smcameron » 17 Jun 2013, 14:25

No, don't have a website yet, though I've been meaning to make one. I suppose I was hoping to have some tolerable video of real multiplayer action before putting up a website, on the theory that not having a website is ok for now since the game is still in a really rough state as far as playability goes. Not sure I want to make a whole bunch of noise about the game only to have people try it in it's half finished state and conclude "this sucks!" I will probably just use a gh-pages branch on github.

-- steve
smcameron

Postby smcameron » 20 Jun 2013, 14:31

Running on a Raspberry Pi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3tiFIAINVQ

(Not my video, btw)
Last edited by smcameron on 12 Jul 2019, 16:14, edited 1 time in total.
smcameron

Postby smcameron » 22 Jun 2013, 13:29

Last night, ran a multiplayer session for the first time. IT WAS AWESOME!

A little rough around the edges, things are a bit unbalanced, and the game play is a little more frenetic and crazy (and hilarious) than I'd imagined it would be. Didn't really feel like "Star Trek", but it was pretty fun. In general, it was a big hit, definitely onto something cool with this game.

Unfortunately didn't get any video footage of the mayhem, or even any pictures. Maybe next time.

-- steve
smcameron

Postby charlie » 22 Jun 2013, 14:18

Yes, next time do get some footage!
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby qubodup » 23 Jun 2013, 01:25

smcameron {l Wrote}:Unfortunately didn't get any video footage of the mayhem, or even any pictures. Maybe next time.

Aaaaawww.

The most fun to present games at the recent game jams that I was part of were the ones where the audience could vote on what action to take (multiple choice text adventures for example). And Space Team is amazing fun with two players already. I can only imagine how amazing it must have been...

So yeah, video please next time. :)
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby smcameron » 29 Jun 2013, 15:15

Here's a bit of video from last night's attempt. Got off to a bit of a rough start when the server process crashed with an assert inside pthread_mutex_lock (no doubt a glibc bug ;-). Moved the server to another machine and ran it under valgrind, and we played the game for about an hour with it running under valgrind, which found nothing. Lots of rough edges with the game play that need tuning, not to mention all the functionality that isn't in the game yet, but, it's very good to finally have it in a playable state, more or less.

The video's a bit dark, and esp. the projector screen doesn't show up very well, next time I'll bring the DSLR, maybe that will help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCfrT0N0FGA
Last edited by smcameron on 12 Jul 2019, 16:16, edited 1 time in total.
smcameron

Postby farcodev » 29 Jun 2013, 19:16

Haha good one when they begin to act as a team.
Great progress! I hope that you will not be annoyed by any more network problems in the future.
Keep it up!
farcodev

Postby smcameron » 12 Jul 2013, 04:43

Just a progress update. Had a week off around July 4, and I used it to totally re-vamp the power-system of the ship. Now all systems are modelled as a resistive network with a fixed voltage, capped current power supply. So long as the resistive load does not exceed the max current that can be supplied, voltage is constant, and the requested power is delivered. When the load requires more current than the supply can deliver, voltage drops, current decreases. Gives a rather natural way to couple all the power consuming systems together.

Additionally, I've done a lot of work on the "DEMON" screen, and now, from this screen, you can delete things from the universe, add things to the universe, become a puppet-master for any non-player ship, able to drive it, shoot the weapons, and transmit communications from any non-player ship. By this means, you can act as game master and provide a little puppet show for the rest of the players.

Some video of the latest code:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUp0h6h7qI8
Last edited by smcameron on 12 Jul 2019, 16:16, edited 1 time in total.
smcameron

Postby smcameron » 23 Jul 2013, 03:50

My software renderer is working pretty well these days. Just flat shading, no texture mapping or anything fancy, but still I'm pleased.

Also has retro wireframe mode (press 'r' on the main screen to cycle through the renderer modes).

Here's an "epic space battle" of sorts: (note: skip to 27s mark to get to the action. The forum's youtube tag doesn't appear to allow you to tack on a t=0m27s URL parameter to automatically do that, unfortunately.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcEbCyKU0Qs

I'm pretty pleased with the progress I've made on this game so far, I think it's really coming along nicely.

-- steve
Last edited by smcameron on 12 Jul 2019, 16:17, edited 1 time in total.
smcameron

Postby smcameron » 05 Aug 2013, 00:53

Just a few screen shots showing some new models, laser fire, and simple lighting stuff. By modern standards, not too impressive, but considering it's done with a software renderer I made myself from scratch, I'm fairly pleased with it.

Hmm, if your screen is small, this board seems to clip the images rather than scale -- you might want to hit ctrl-minus to shrink things down to be able to see it all.

"Research vessel" model plus new station model.

Skorpio ship model.

Taking laser fire from an asteroid miner.

Disruptor and new station model. Note the lighting is from below.

Taking laser fire from a distance, and new starbase model.
smcameron

Postby smcameron » 12 Aug 2013, 01:50

Got side tracked a little bit... I was thinking about spaceship models, and how making them by hand was difficult, and I remembered shipwright -- that procedural spaceship generator that slams a bunch of canned, hand-made parts together somewhat randomly, but in pairs, and in ways that maintain bilateral symmetry, and I got inspired a little bit, though I was dissatisfied with the results of shipwright -- which is here, btw: http://ship.shapewright.com/

So, yesterday I started hacking on a little bit of openscad metaprogramming to make me some freakin' spaceships.

I called my program "ship not even wrong", (inspired by "shipwright", and by that famous quote of Wolfgang Pauli)

My program is here:
https://github.com/smcameron/opencscad -- in the ship-not-even-wrong subdirectory. It relies on opencscad to produce openscad code, and of course on openscad to process the models.

Typically, a big ship will take 30000 triangles or something, so it's probably not actually suited to Space Nerds In Space as it currently stands -- my poor little software renderer is brought to its knees by such large models. Though I did manage to get some screen shots anyway.

Oh, and the SCIENCE screen now has a "DETAILS" button that shows a rotating 3d wireframe model of the selected target...

So... too many triangles for SNIS currently, but perhaps someone else will find this freaky spaceship factory useful or entertaining. Here's a little video showing lots of ships:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnyerXljmrQ

-- steve
Last edited by smcameron on 12 Jul 2019, 16:17, edited 1 time in total.
smcameron

Postby smcameron » 23 Aug 2013, 18:45

Incremental progress.

I've added a "Tractor Beam" (that doesn't really work yet) and the Science station can now view 3D models of whatever it's scanning, and now ships are not all confined to the same flat plane, and I've started adding some lua scripting abilities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BUt21fBlRw
Last edited by smcameron on 12 Jul 2019, 16:18, edited 1 time in total.
smcameron

Postby smcameron » 09 Sep 2013, 03:07

Just a progress update. Converted to use opengl. I am however, still using the software renderer, just all the 2D drawing (e.g. triangle fills) is done with opengl. Plan is to replace the software renderer, but I'm not that far along yet. Only real 3d stuff done with opengl so far is the skybox. Oh yeah, I made a little (not very sophisticated) skybox program: https://github.com/smcameron/cosmic-space-boxinator

I also figured out how to get recordmydesktop to stop garbling the video (use the --on-the-fly-encoding option.). Unfortunately it now garbles the sound. So here's a silent video showing the new skybox.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZqBO-FdNZs

-- steve
Last edited by smcameron on 12 Jul 2019, 16:18, edited 1 time in total.
smcameron

Postby charlie » 09 Sep 2013, 10:57

Video capture on Linux is a minefield. I've yet to find a solution for just reliably recording from my webcam, let alone capture the desktop as a stream. Hours of research and hours of frustration for what should be a really well solved task. A new client seems to pop up and look promising every year then succumb to bitrot.
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Julius » 09 Sep 2013, 11:21

charlie {l Wrote}:Video capture on Linux is a minefield. I've yet to find a solution for just reliably recording from my webcam, let alone capture the desktop as a stream.

Not sure how well it captures video streams and OpenGL apps, but for a regular screencast the build-in tool of Gnome Shell (Gnone3 etc.) is pretty awesome (but not very well known):
https://wiki.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Featu ... _Recording
tl;dr: press Control+Shift+Alt+R to start desktop recording
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby smcameron » 16 Sep 2013, 03:39

Not too much to report this week, other than that the lua scripting is coming along and is now to the point that simple mission scripts are possible. There are still a lot of entry points and callbacks and what not that would be nice to have -- I'm taking it somewhat slowly to try to avoid an API explosion, since I don't have a very good feel for the sorts of things which are a good idea vs. a bad idea for such APIs, other than that it's probably better if the lua API is small, rather than large.

Here is a bit of documentation about the Space Nerds In Space lua API, still subject to change obviously.

Here are a couple of mission scripts I've made so far:

* Training misison 1 -- kind of a race around a circuit to dock with 4 starbases -- in case it's not obvious (it isn't) the way to dock with a starbase is get very close to it, then type "dock" in the comms screen. In general, all the commnications from these scripts with the player occurs via the comms screen.

* Training mission 2 -- the obvious mission, decoy mayday call leads to ambush.

I am open to ideas about the sorts of things such an API should provide to enable easier creation of a rich set of mission scripts, though I can't promise to implement suggestions, obviously.

Edit: Also, if anybody wants to take a whack at making a mission script or two, by all means, please do, and if in so doing you run into things that the API is missing that prevent you from being able to do what you want to do -- and are going to do -- let me know.
smcameron

Postby dusted » 18 Sep 2013, 11:38

There's a great tool for capturing opengl applications on linux, it's called glc, and is hooking into the opengl api (LD_PRELOAD i believe) to do high-performance screen captures, it also hooks into the audio subsystem, it produces quite large raw files which can then be converted into less-quite-large-files which can be read by tools such as ffmpeg to produce nicely-sized-files.
http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/glc.html
https://github.com/nullkey/glc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2wp2QqMeV0
dusted

Postby Arthur » 18 Sep 2013, 14:21

I recommend capturing with ffmpeg instead of using glc - the latter is no longer maintained and is a pita to install and configure properly. The former is just a pita to configure.
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur