Milestone 3

Milestone 3

Postby Julius_Freezer » 08 Jun 2013, 15:28

Hi, everybody. I was playing SuperTux this morning and suddenly remembered that we didn't have Milestone 3 yet. I checked the SuperTux wiki and there have been no meaninful edits in over a year. Does anyone know what happened to the project, or if there is anything I can do to contribute?

--Julius_Freezer
Julius_Freezer

Re: Milestone 3

Postby ctdabomb » 10 Jun 2013, 15:35

well, we are still "working" on milestone 2. the task list for it is here: http://supertux.lethargik.org/wiki/Mile ... ment/Tasks
imo we could release M2 now, in hopes of generating more interest in the project, but I don't really know about that with the inactive shape of things.

we would love it if you can contribute. what skills do you have that you would like to contribute? art, code, etc...?
Some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help smiling when you shove them down the stairs.
ctdabomb

Postby rubberduck » 10 Jun 2013, 16:04

ctdabomb {l Wrote}:we would love it if you can contribute. what skills do you have that you would like to contribute? art, code, etc...?

some years ago i made something

i have some images here ( i made more than 20)
Attachments
st2.png
st1.png
https://notabug.org/rbduck/Nucleagacy
my puzzle / action game in godot 4
rubberduck

Postby charlie » 10 Jun 2013, 16:56

Release early, release often. You want interest in the project? Make releases.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby LMH » 10 Jun 2013, 22:10

Yeah, Milestone 2 has not even happened yet. Although I would not say the game in it's current form is ready for a sable release, a development snapshot however is well overdue. I agree that the lack of announced progress is a significant problem for the project, but the development team is mostly MIA. I think I'm the only one who has pushed any changes in the past ten months, and that's mostly just trying to incorporate minor tweaks and bug fixes that others have put together in order to keep things limping along.

The general decay of many of the SuperTux related websites is another problem. I think some people may still be unaware that the project has moved to Google code, and when they see things like the bugtracker with expired security certificates that doesn't help. The wiki and bugtracker should probably be consolidated into those on Google code, but again those with ownership of the older websites do not appear to be around for whatever reasons.

There may be some things ctdabomb and I can do to help out, but what we can do is pretty limited.

rubberduck {l Wrote}:some years ago i made something

I would love to see these levels, they look very interesting. If you get them to me, I can make them accessible as an add-on.
LMH

Postby charlie » 11 Jun 2013, 00:24

You can still make a release LMH. And just do what you can with the web material. Consider reducing it to a more manageable size - use the issue tracker with Google Code, close down the out of date one. Make sure it is clear on the website to go to Google Code.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby rubberduck » 11 Jun 2013, 06:57

i will upload them

is there a link to the Google Code-site, i think, that from http://supertux.lethargik.org/ should be a link to the new site

and what is to do before the next release
rubberduck

Postby rubberduck » 11 Jun 2013, 18:47

i have them here:

http://platen-software.de/sebastian/sup ... uck.tar.gz

when i made it, i wanted to make my own "world", the worldmap is oly a "collection" of all playable levels, so i don't have a "real" worldmap now

my st-version is 0.3.3-GIT rexported
and my st-editor-version is 0.3-svn
rubberduck

Postby LMH » 12 Jun 2013, 03:36

You're probably right that between ct and I we can put together a release (not sure if anyone else is around). I've actually considered this, but have devoted what small time I have to the ensuring that the minor progression at least continues. Probably about time (overdue) to reconsider.

I also agree about consolidation. However, much of the old web material is inaccessible to all but the primary owners. I think best that can be done is more explicit links toward Google Code. The homepage is probably the most important thing to change but also the one with the least access.

I will see if ct and I can put together a snapshot release soonish. See if we can poke the developers some.

Thanks for posting your levels rubberduck, they seem to be well constructed (although I did notice some game objects such as coins/bonus blocks appearing in the background or foreground making them inaccessible). I've only started playing through them, but I think people will really enjoy them. Would you like to construct your worldmap before I make them accessible through the game client? I noticed you did not specify a license. Typically "GPL 2+ / CC-by-sa 3.0" is used in levels as it is the same as the game and only really just needs to be declared. This basically means that they can be copied and even modified so long as the changes are documented and original authorship is acknowledged. However, you can license it any way you want and should probably look into what the licenses mean yourself. I'll hold off adding them until you decide.
LMH

Postby rubberduck » 12 Jun 2013, 06:28

when i made them, i hadn't the target to upload them anywhere, i only mde them for me, so i don't have a license at the moment

i don't want to make a worldmap now, you can make one, you also can improve the levels, if some aren't so good

LMH {l Wrote}: I did notice some game objects such as coins/bonus blocks appearing in the background or foreground making them inaccessible)

i don't know where it is exactly, but sometimes i made this extra, to make the game harder, it could be like a trap, if you think there is real ground, and you want to go/jump there, you fall
rubberduck

Postby LMH » 12 Jun 2013, 23:00

Understood. It sounds to me that you would be okay with the GPL/CC license given you don't mind if I change things. I'll put it in unless you object. I just don't want people to freak out with a bunch of terminal warnings or to worry about potential plagiarism issues if I can at all help it.

I'll see about making a worldmap/tweaking, but it may be a while before I have time. I'll probably make it available first, then work on it when I find time.
LMH

Postby rubberduck » 13 Jun 2013, 06:45

yes, that's ok
there is also a reason, that i don't want to work on them, it's because i work on a supertuxkart-track
rubberduck

Postby Julius_Freezer » 20 Jun 2013, 20:36

Hey, OP here. I'll gladly contribute if there's anything I can do.

ctdabomb {l Wrote}:We would love it if you can contribute. what skills do you have that you would like to contribute? art, code, etc...?

I don't know the language SuperTux is written in, so my programming abilities are useless. I do have skills with the GIMP and a lot of experience with Milestone 1 level design. (By the way, how does one make levels for Milestone 2? There's no editor with the game as in M1.)

...On that topic, how do I contribute something to the project once I have created it? I made some frozen badguy graphics a while ago and couldn't figure out what to do with them. (Forgive my ignorance, I'm kind of unfamiliar with how all this works :().
Julius_Freezer

Postby LMH » 22 Jun 2013, 00:14

Excellent questions. I'll see if I can answer them for you. The development version of the editor is available separately from the game, it currently lives in its own GIT repository:

http://code.google.com/p/supertux/source/checkout?repo=editor

So if you have been able to install the GIT version of the game, then it should be straightforward to obtain the code for the editor. Between the documentation with the code and the info on the wiki, you should be able to find all the additional dependencies needed to build and run the editor. I cannot remember the detail, but if you run into issues you can ask and I may be able to help.

I could actually use some art for a project that I'm currently working on. I've been trying to focus on more of the code, and was going to put together a "call for art" so that I could guarantee that it would be used and wouldn't have to take forever to make something with my rudimentary art skills. I'm trying to make some glow-effects to make dark levels more viable and clean. Anyway I could use the following:
    - New candle (light source) graphics (need an on and off state): would like the cave torch animated (no wall behind), a light bulb, maybe a glowing crystal, anything that would make good ambient light that could be controlled (on/off color).
    - images for a walking fireball enemy, need animations for: walking, sleeping, waking, and dying/extinguishing. I was thinking just a ball of fire with two sinister dark spots for eyes and smaller balls of flame that move for the feet. It would be nice if the flames were a little nicer than what is currently used in the game, that is a little more believable perhaps with transparency on the edges.
    - Eventually I'll need images of tux wearing a miner's hat for a new powerup all the same states as needed for fire/ice tux including the worldmap.
Of course you can contribute with anything that seems to be lacking, not just my little pet project. I'm open to suggestions.

There are many ways you can contribute content. The most elegant way would be to have your own clone of the project on Google Code that you could change directly. The easiest way would be to post them here. Normally the bugtracker is used for submitting work, but it might be good to move away from that and use the issues list on Google Code instead. Basically if you get them to me, I can make it work. And that includes your frozen badguy graphics if they are for enemies that still lack them.

This reminds me that the wiki could really use some love improving on info like this. I'm terrible at keeping up with such, but that is another area where one can contribute.
LMH

Postby KRC1023 » 11 Jul 2013, 18:10

Hmmm... If I could get info on how to make a worldmap, I would gladly take on that task, as I have plenty of spare time to devote to it. Now if only I could learn how to program...
KRC1023
Registered Linux User #555528
youtube.com/user/krc1023
KRC1023

Postby ctdabomb » 11 Jul 2013, 19:21

I assume you have the editor already?
the easiest way to make a new worldmap is to open an existing one, and then save it somewhere else. then edit it how you want :)
Some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help smiling when you shove them down the stairs.
ctdabomb

Postby rubberduck » 12 Jul 2013, 07:27

i have a question, how much is it to do for the next milestone release, i don't want a date, when, i only want to know, how much for next release to do

i heard, that you have not much time for develoment, is that true??, is that the reason, that last time no new milestone released??

or is it an other problem, that slows development??
rubberduck

Postby KroArtem » 12 Jul 2013, 23:30

no programmers, afaik it's the main issue.
KroArtem

Postby Knitter » 13 Jul 2013, 11:45

Sorry if I'm asking something that is already answered but I got a bit lost on the various topics about the project. What exactly is the project' status? I mean, what are the resources (is it only google code or any other links) and are the devs working on the project?

I don't know what code I cloned/checked before but I don't think it was from google code, and the editor at that time was C#/Mono based and was a pain to setup in OSX, also I'm registered in a bug tracker that seems to have some user activity but no dev activity or at least no answers.
Knitter

Postby LMH » 13 Jul 2013, 23:23

KroArtem {l Wrote}:no programmers, afaik it's the main issue.

This is close to the main issue. The developers have mostly moved on to other things, and not enough of their knowledge was passed on to others to take up the work. Thus very few are able and available to make significant changes to the source. I've been trying to keep things up as much as I can, but it's not a one-man job and my efforts are somewhat minimal. My programming knowledge is also not quite to par to get all the way to milestone 2. I'd like to say that milestone 2 is close- rework the main levels some and correct some of the critical bugs so that the game is reasonably stable then release. I think that probably many additional ideas and goals should be shelved at this point and efforts should be focused on making what is there now work. At least another snapshot should be out soon- 0.3.4 is basically set, but I don't have quite enough privileges to post it appropriately. I hope it will help jump-start some interest and draw some talent to the project.

Knitter {l Wrote}:What exactly is the project' status? I mean, what are the resources (is it only google code or any other links) and are the devs working on the project?

Google Code is the primary resource at the moment. The IRC channel is typically awkwardly quiet, and as has been noted both the bugtracker and wiki are pretty much ignored. The developers are more-or-less AWOL, so I have been the only one to have made any changes in the better part of the last year- and that has been pretty hindered due to my own personal commitments. The editor is also pretty neglected and much work is needed there. It is by the way still mono based.
LMH

Postby ctdabomb » 18 Jul 2013, 17:15

Just to let you know, we are going to be having a meeting today at 18:00 UTC on #supertux (IRC) to discuss the future of the game.

See you there,
ctdabomb
ctdabomb

Postby Sauer2 » 20 Jul 2013, 12:47

Just out of curiosity: What conclusion did you came to?
Sauer2

Postby ctdabomb » 22 Jul 2013, 14:41

copied from the mailing list:
  • 3.4 needs to be packaged. Who are the packagers?
  • Finish up the 2 todo lists about icy world and release 3.5 (no discussion about who would do certain things.)
  • Make a todo list for the forest world. When that is finished, release the full/final M2/0.4 with the forest world as part of the main storyline.
  • It would be nice to move as much website stuff as possible to google code. Though that might be just the bug tracker.
  • Knitter said he would like to work on some code stuff, but was a bit intimidated/discouraged by the spread out and disorganized documentation.
that was basically it. Sort of unorganized and impromptu, but it worked.... I propose we have another meeting sometime soon that has a better agenda and more people know about in time. (lets give ourselves and others a couple days to prepare!)
ctdabomb

Postby Sauer2 » 22 Jul 2013, 20:12

Thanks.
Sauer2