Wipeout Mod

Wipeout Mod

Postby Julius » 26 Nov 2012, 20:59

Totally OT:
CryHam is probably not going to like this idea (well maybe he does, even though I am proposing something evil ;) ) but since I absolutely despise the cars physics (yes I know they are intentionally like that, and it is probably realistic) I would love to see a mod of this game that replicated WipeOut. The trackeditor with the splines just seems to be made for that, and I am sure the bullet physics could simulate a glider quite awesomely. Besides that... adding guns to a racer has never done any bad ;)

Given my current time contraints, I would be still up to try and model some cool WipeOut like Gliders. Maybe someone else would be interested to do the coding part?
Edit: maybe this would be a nice start: http://www.blendswap.com/blends/staff-p ... nner-ship/
or this, even though personally I don't like the style: http://www.blendswap.com/blends/vehicle ... ar-type-r/
or this as a start: http://www.blendswap.com/blends/vehicle ... -vehicles/
Julius
Community Moderator

Re: Information

Postby CryHam » 26 Nov 2012, 21:42

@Julius
Yes, I'm nearly done with completely renewing current simulation (parameters, tires, etc).
Sure it is evil, but I kind of like the idea. I'm not against forks or total conversions of Stunt Rally, even if you want to make another NFS.
I'm just against of changing Stunt Rally from what it is and what I like. But it would be cool and fun to see it forked to something like that.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Re: Wipeout Mod

Postby Julius » 27 Nov 2012, 17:10

Ok sounds good, I will give it a try again for version 1.9 then. However I am pretty spoiled by the Colin McRae series when it comes to WRC Rally car physics.

Sound nice that you would approve a WipeOut mod. Personally I am not a big fan of forks just to work on mods... as far as possible the main codebase should remain the same I think. In how far is the gameplay code abstracted in let's say a scripting language, and is there easy support for mods, e.g. drop in replacements of the script code?

Not much of a programmer myself though, so this can only see the light of day if someone with more time and programming experience steps up and volunteers.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby CryHam » 27 Nov 2012, 17:46

Ah. Well the code is just what it is, a big bloat class for game with many variables and few sews into VDrift simulation. Doesn't sound good at all, but it was the fastest way. I'm usually programming to have something done, not to program just for art and readablity. Thus there aren't many classes, and mods or scripting weren't ever even thought of :(. But I'm not discouraging anyone, I keep small files and put comments on crucial parts. I also know it all I'll say and if anyone has questions (not too many) I can answer them. I had to learn VDrift's code the same way, I'd say it's normal theese days, that you receive a big code base and just dig into it and understand from inside how it works.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby Julius » 27 Nov 2012, 18:16

Ahh.. that sounds not that promising... so it's out of my programming league for sure.

I had a closer look at the BeamRunnerShip mesh linked above though, and with a few modifications it would probably be made into a quite awesome source mesh for a normalmap etc., and the lower-poly version shouldn't be too much work either. It even includes a cockpit, but I have an cooler version in mind already if one was to make a cockpit "hud" also.

So I would be still up to making a cool hover-ship model for such a game, if anyone is also interested.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby charlie » 27 Nov 2012, 22:49

This makes me curious about the status of Ecksdee and its assets.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby charlie » 27 Nov 2012, 23:00

There's also Racer which is in a pretty playable state (SVN download required I think) and TheRush which I haven't looked into.
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Julius » 28 Nov 2012, 15:06

Yeah, there have been a few attepts... but they all died off more or less as far as I can tell.
There is one mighty contender coming up via the Blender3D engine: http://devlog-martinsh.blogspot.com/201 ... oject.html some more info later on the same blog, by a guy who is behind the most awesome BGE stuff so far. However in how far it will actually be FOSS I don't know.

As for the Stuntrally mod... well that seems like a really low hanging fruit so to say, and the cool editor will certainly make community building much easier.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Sneer » 27 May 2013, 03:30

I'd love to see a wipeout mod...I actually thought that while testing Stuntrally tonight. Hovercraft would fit to the physics very well.
Sneer

Postby charlie » 29 May 2013, 01:33

@julius: the video (posted here) was quite cool:

youtu.be/WdDdCLCLJWE
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby rubberduck » 29 May 2013, 07:22

yes, and in the second lap there are some obstacles
https://notabug.org/rbduck/Nucleagacy
my puzzle / action game in godot 4
rubberduck

Postby Julius » 29 May 2013, 08:19

Yeah that BGE project is quite cool, however as most stuff done with BGE it is more or less an prototype only and using Stunt Rally as a base would be much more beneficial in my opinion as it already has a cool track editor and multiplayer etc.
Julius
Community Moderator