Looking for art for easter game mode

Looking for art for easter game mode

Postby hiker » 04 Apr 2013, 02:27

Hi,

as you might be aware of I've recently added an 'Easter Egg' mode: the idea is that there are Easter eggs hidden on the tracks, and players have to find them. That would be a nice child-friendly mode (when played without a time limit), and could even be an exciting challenge (on hard you first would have to find all eggs, then identify the fastest way to actually reach all of them in time).

At this stage I am looking for:
  • An icon to be used in the mode selection GUI (atm I am using the battle mode icon)
  • A model for the Easter egg. Atm I am actually using the bunny from Northern Resort, which at least is missing some colors (like black nose). I am not sure if bunnies is actually the way to go (though my daughter loves it ;) ). Perhaps a colorful Easter egg might be better? Though someone suggested a story about a mother bunny looking for her baby bunnies ... ;)

Also I'd love to get more tracks with Easter eggs. It's actually amazing how many nicely hidden Easter egg locations you can find on even a small track like math class - there must be a huge potential in some of the larger tracks (not to mention overworld - so I am not sure at this stage if it would work, but if someone adds easter eggs there I'll make sure to get it to work). Easter eggs are defined just like items, just select the corresponding level (since Easter egg locations should be different on easy, medium and hard). On easy you should easily see them (think of kids mode). Medium needs some looking around. On hard it should involve looking at more remote spots, and might even involve difficult driving (perhaps jumping with nitro to an otherwise inaccessible location and needing to press rescue to come back).

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Re: Looking for art for easter game mode

Postby E-Dragon » 04 Apr 2013, 13:32

Sounds funny , can´t wait to get myself searching and flying through whole tracks to get some easter eggs. :twisted:
Really like this :D
E-Dragon

Postby ctdabomb » 04 Apr 2013, 14:17

icon idea, you know how there are all those icons of tux as different people/things? maybe one of tux as an egg? just an idea
Some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help smiling when you shove them down the stairs.
ctdabomb

Postby Totoplus62 » 04 Apr 2013, 19:33

I can try to make an icon when i'll have free time, just need to know if it's bunny or egg :) there: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4332
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Features under CC-BY 3.0, CC-BY-SA 3.0 or equivalent GNU license
Image SuperTuxKart Popularity
Totoplus62

Postby hiker » 08 Apr 2013, 03:56

Totoplus62 {l Wrote}:I can try to make an icon when i'll have free time, just need to know if it's bunny or egg :) there: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4332

For the icon it doesn't matter that much - just go with bunny, no one will be surprised if eggs need to be collected, as long as the eggs are Easter eggs ;)

Thanks!
Joerg
hiker

Postby Totoplus62 » 09 Apr 2013, 16:52

Ok for bunny i will look at this soon
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Features under CC-BY 3.0, CC-BY-SA 3.0 or equivalent GNU license
Totoplus62

Postby fraang » 10 Apr 2013, 00:15

I have created a 3d model with uv map and textures of a Easter egg.
I hope you like it. If you have any ideas for the painting/coloring let me know. ;)

http://opengameart.org/content/easter-egg
fraang

Postby hiker » 10 Apr 2013, 07:07

fraang {l Wrote}:I have created a 3d model with uv map and textures of a Easter egg.
I hope you like it. If you have any ideas for the painting/coloring let me know. ;)

http://opengameart.org/content/easter-egg

Looks great. Not sure when I'll have time for it, GSoC is taking its toll ;)

Thanks!
Joerg
hiker

Postby tavariz91 » 10 Apr 2013, 13:14

fraang {l Wrote}:I have created a 3d model with uv map and textures of a Easter egg.

Nice job! I really like all of them. In game there could maybe be an egg color for a particular mission and three missions to do?

Oh nostalgy, I remember Nanosaur :)

An idea: maybe you could put a small rabbit on the egg?

Edit: Image
Based on fraang's eggs, in 5 minuts with gimp and libreoffice. Just an idea for the easter game mode button :) but I'm no designer.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I will fight up to death so that you have the right to say it"
- Voltaire
tavariz91

Postby Totoplus62 » 10 Apr 2013, 19:18

tavariz91 {l Wrote}:Just an idea for the easter game mode button :) but I'm no designer.

Interesting :)

This is what i did:
How it looks ingame:
(I put the eggs in the same order as tavariz :p )

Hope you will like it :) (I have another version if we only have to catch rabbits, but as i see its going to be eggs)
Last edited by Totoplus62 on 10 Apr 2013, 19:58, edited 2 times in total.
Totoplus62

Postby tavariz91 » 10 Apr 2013, 19:28

I really like it!

Maybe you should put blue on the top: if the yellow half-circle is the sun, then should it not be in the sky? :)

The rabbit's eyes seems to me a bit too small for me.
Si here's my idea (I feel proud :D) of improvements:

Regards,
tav'
"I do not agree with what you say, but I will fight up to death so that you have the right to say it"
- Voltaire
tavariz91

Postby Totoplus62 » 10 Apr 2013, 19:38

Well, i disagree about the blue sky 'cause i want to keep "consistency" with the other icons (main colors etc...)
I firstly made like you for the eyes but i wasn't completely convinced...maybe you're right i don't know :think: , i will wait for more feedback
Totoplus62

Postby tavariz91 » 10 Apr 2013, 19:39

oeuf course :) we need advices.

Maybe with the same blue as on the follow the leader button it could be better.
- Voltaire
tavariz91

Postby hiker » 11 Apr 2013, 07:44

Totoplus62 {l Wrote}:Well, i disagree about the blue sky 'cause i want to keep "consistency" with the other icons (main colors etc...)
I firstly made like you for the eyes but i wasn't completely convinced...maybe you're right i don't know :think: , i will wait for more feedback

I think a blue sky might actually be better, but perhaps some of the other icons should be changed as well: e.g. "normal mode" should have a blue sky as well (and all should have a yellow sun), and the blue skies should be the same colour.

For now I have committed Totoplus's version, for the simple reason that it had rounded corners which was consistent with what we have. But feel free to improve further!

Thanks a lot!
Joerg
hiker

Postby tavariz91 » 11 Apr 2013, 09:51

OK. Actually I don't know what happened with transparency. My original picture had (and always have) it. Anyway, this is what I did. I took the yellowsun and the blue sky, putted it on all icons, and it looks much better (IMHO) :cool:

So, here it is:

I don't know how to get the easter mode active (I'm on the nighty 12472, found on samuncle's site) so I pasted the icon with gimp. I gave the background a more cartoonish look too. You might like it or not, I thought it could be an idea, but needs work. Anyway, all modified files are in the zip, so just take a look and give me feedback :)

Edit: New idea for normal mode button (I won't give you more for now, I promise!). Included in the zip file.
Attachments
newmodes.zip
(557.49 KiB) Downloaded 347 times
Last edited by tavariz91 on 11 Apr 2013, 10:55, edited 1 time in total.
- Voltaire
tavariz91

Postby Totoplus62 » 11 Apr 2013, 10:35

tavariz91 {l Wrote}:oeuf course :) .

:lol:
hiker {l Wrote}:and all should have a yellow sun

I agree about the sun :)

Well, i'm sure we did the same thing with tav' in the same time that's funny :D

Here is the new set of icons (And i worked again on rabbit hair)

I'm happy there is more people to make 2D art :cool:

@ tav': your new "background" is interesting :) but be careful with saving to not reduce the quality --> compression rate (it often happen with jpeg). Then with your modes icon, that's good but there are some minors mistakes as the position of the sun for example (look the black line ;)); next step will be a icon for the "god level" AI... ;) you could try it if you want to do it

EDIT:
I love tavariz idea about normal mode :o
One gift is enough i think because it has to stay clear and simple :)
Last edited by Totoplus62 on 11 Apr 2013, 11:23, edited 3 times in total.
Totoplus62

Postby tavariz91 » 11 Apr 2013, 11:05

Really really better than mine with your sun B)

About the new background, I don't know anymore how I did it, but I remember I had to resize it a bit (to keep the same size as the original).
As said, I will ehance it.

While you were posting, I added (to avoid double-posting :p) another icon for normal mode. It looks better in game. Something else, what do you think of the small clouds I added for the rabbit?

Regards,

tav'

RE-Edit: taccled, re posting after totoplus :)
Last edited by tavariz91 on 11 Apr 2013, 11:32, edited 3 times in total.
- Voltaire
tavariz91

Postby Totoplus62 » 11 Apr 2013, 11:20

tavariz91 {l Wrote}:While you were posting, I added (to avoid double-posting :p) another icon for normal mode.

I did not think about it ;) i think your idea was great, look my last post editing.

tavariz91 {l Wrote}:Something else, what do you think of the small clouds I added for the rabbit?

Good but i wanted icon's sky to be the same for all the icon :) it has to stay clear IMHO.
Totoplus62

Postby tavariz91 » 11 Apr 2013, 11:33

About the sky, IMHO there should be something, I think it looks a bit "empty", and clouds could give depth.

In GIMP: Take the original background one, invert colors, use the pencil effect, reinvert colours, and you'll get this (I didn't made the sames mistakes as for the first one.) :) :

Do you know if the games supports animation (I mean GIF, or animated PNG) ?
For the "loading" icon, it could be great to see the clock working :D

EDIT: updated background for a better colour balance (on my screen). I keep the old one if needed somewhere on my laptop. I took the mini size image in the forum for better visibility :cool:
- Voltaire
tavariz91

Postby GunChleoc » 11 Apr 2013, 22:23

I like the clouds, but I also think there should be consistency. Maybe it is porrible to try some clouds with the other icons as well? Of cours,e there is less space because of the road. Or is it possible to add the road to the easter egg icon, wiht a bit of extra grass in the front for the eggs?
GunChleoc

Postby hiker » 12 Apr 2013, 01:25

Hi all,

great work here, I love this discussion. The new icons look fantastic!
Totoplus62 {l Wrote}:Here is the new set of icons (And i worked again on rabbit hair)

I've committed them, including the new normal mode - I love the idea.

I'm happy there is more people to make 2D art :cool:

Indeed!

next step will be a icon for the "god level" AI... ;) you could try it if you want to do it

I was about to ask - yes, that would be great. There were some links in the ticket (https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/super ... ticket/778), but they are CC-NC, so we can't really use them. Also, since you are working on them, a matching battle mode and soccer icon would be great!

Keep up the great work you two!

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby tavariz91 » 12 Apr 2013, 10:20

Thanks for your feedbacks :cool:

I had enough time to try a god mode icon.

Not so easy, I didn't wanted to use an existing one, so i did it :)

It's a tribute to someone. If you can tell me who, then this icon is good enough :p .
Monty pythons!

Maybe the beard and clouds should be separated... What do you think?

And ingame:

So... What do you think?

I add XCF files to edit itt as you wish :) (Licence WTFPLv2, I couldn't find better :cool: )

Will work on a new battle mode and soccer icon soon.
Attachments
difficulty_god.zip
(522.09 KiB) Downloaded 332 times
Last edited by tavariz91 on 12 Apr 2013, 10:38, edited 1 time in total.
- Voltaire
tavariz91

Postby bonifarz » 12 Apr 2013, 10:31

hiker {l Wrote}:
next step will be a icon for the "god level" AI... ;) you could try it if you want to do it

I was about to ask - yes, that would be great. There were some links in the ticket (https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/super ... ticket/778), but they are CC-NC, so we can't really use them. Also, since you are working on them, a matching battle mode and soccer icon would be great!

hiker {l Wrote}:
bonifarz {l Wrote}:You can actually make them quite a bit harder than that. The settings i once experimented with are found in this topic.

Thanks for this. I've recently added them as 4th level AI to our current trunk.

The icons that I have used in the "mod" linked above were also licensed under CC-BY-NC-SA, so the same problem there. It should not be hard to make another devil tux, though.

EDIT: Mhm, why not giving it a try myself? Right, I have just spent a few minutes on this and the painted detail is way too fuzzy, but maybe it will be useful for someone else to pick this up. There are no derivative works contained except for the medium difficulty icon of STK - which is a pain to work with because of the very low resolution :lol:

The attachment difficulty_devil.png is no longer available

difficulty_devil.xcf
the corresponding gimp file for anybody who wants to tinker
(89.37 KiB) Downloaded 338 times

Have fun
Last edited by bonifarz on 12 Apr 2013, 12:31, edited 2 times in total.
bonifarz

Postby tavariz91 » 12 Apr 2013, 10:51

GunChleoc {l Wrote}:I like the clouds, but I also think there should be consistency. Maybe it is porrible to try some clouds with the other icons as well? Of cours,e there is less space because of the road. Or is it possible to add the road to the easter egg icon, wiht a bit of extra grass in the front for the eggs?

I tried to put the road behind the rabbit but it was not concluant IMHO. I tried to put clouds in the icons too, but it was not better at all.

So, what I did was to keep the road's hape and use it as a patron for the clouds on the easteregg's button. It remind you the same shape without having directly the road.

I tried with or without white eyes.

Again, what do you think? :D Got too much time today!
- Voltaire
tavariz91

Postby Ludsky » 12 Apr 2013, 12:45

bonifarz {l Wrote}:
hiker {l Wrote}:

hiker {l Wrote}:
bonifarz {l Wrote}:You can actually make them quite a bit harder than that. The settings i once experimented with are found in this topic.

Thanks for this. I've recently added them as 4th level AI to our current trunk.

The icons that I have used in the "mod" linked above were also licensed under CC-BY-NC-SA, so the same problem there. It should not be hard to make another devil tux, though.

EDIT: Mhm, why not giving it a try myself? Right, I have just spent a few minutes on this and the painted detail is way too fuzzy, but maybe it will be useful for someone else to pick this up. There are no derivative works contained except for the medium difficulty icon of STK - which is a pain to work with because of the very low resolution :lol:

difficulty_devil.png

difficulty_devil.xcf

Have fun

Is good, i prefer this difficulty devil ^^ Image
Ludsky