The Dark Mod, Thief-like stealth game. Sound artists needed

The Dark Mod, Thief-like stealth game. Sound artists needed

Postby Hythlodaeus » 29 Mar 2013, 01:40

Hello everyone, I'm here on behalf of a project known as The Dark Mod. Our community project initially began as a mod for Doom 3 which aimed to recreate an experience similar to the original Thief series games, created by Looking Glass studios, yet set on a universe of its own, with its individual lore, characters, and geography. Eventually our project became much, much more, currently featuring dozens and dozens of community-made individual missions, one full campaign, and many more incoming.

With the release of the Doom 3 source, The Dark Mod decided it was time to go standalone, so everyone could enjoy the full beauty and complexity of the many fan missions available without being forced to own a copy of Doom 3.

This, of course implies the replacement of many, many art and sound assets belonging to Doom 3 which were being previously being used, with proper original content. While most textures and models have now been replaced, our most dire need at the moment are the dozens of sound effects that need to replaced. We have already drawn as much as we could from sites like Freesound and OpenGameArt, and yet we are still in need of many.

Because of this, we are currently looking for any sound artists and 3D artists willing to contribute to our cause. The Dark Mod is a fully open-source, freeware project which aims for no commercial gain. All work is being done by voluntaries, and while most artwork contributions are licensed under CC-BY-NC-SA (non-commercial share-alike), we also accept other kinds of CC-licensed artwork. All code, respecting the Doom 3 source release, is licensed under GPLv3 and the main repository can be accessed here.

Here's a comprehensive list of missing assets. It hasn't been updated in a while, and lot of those have already been replaced. At this point all the coding bits are ready for standalone so the only thing missing are the listed artwork assets.

Finally, here are a few screenshots of our project.

Image Image Image Image Image Image

And a gameplay video of one of our many missions available

youtu.be/rpo72k_LGf8

We've also got plenty of media coverage throughout the years of existence of our community:

TDM on Rock Paper Shotgun
On Kotaku.au
On PC gamer

If you're interested in helping us, please join us at our community forums. The project leads will then fill you the details of the contents needed, according to your particular set of skills and the amount of help you're willing to provide.

And remember, if you own a copy of Doom 3, you can already enjoy The Dark Mod at its fullest by downloading the latest version (1.08) here, and pick any of the fan missions available here.

Cheers, and happy stealthing!
Hythlodaeus

Re: The Dark Mod, Thief-like stealth game. Sound artists nee

Postby Evropi » 29 Mar 2013, 01:57

Wow! Pretty neat. Thief is definitely one of my favourite games of all time. Though I was not a huge fan of the storyline, I loved how you could either be extremely sneaky or hack and slash your way through the game if you were good enough. The many approaches it offered were what made it so great, and if you'vea chieved that with your maps you have already succeeded.

Will you use the Doom 3 BFG Edition graphics engine for when you go standalone? The only active fork is RBDOOM, which has actually progressed really really far, in all aspects (most notable new features are the new audio stack and Linux support).

Anyway, the game looks great! I can't actually play this as I don't have Doom 3 (had it on the first XBOX though doubt that would work), but I'd be definitely interested in helping out with 3D modelling once you make a standalone release.

Best regards,

Evropi.
You just wasted 3 seconds of your life reading this.
Evropi

Postby Hythlodaeus » 29 Mar 2013, 02:02

Do you think you can help with modelling at this point? Since most of the meshes needed at the moment are purely static objects, someone else could easily do the conversion for you. Keep in mind the faster we get D3 content replaced, the faster the standalone version will come out.

And no ATM we're not using BFG edition code. Fore more info on this refer to this thread.
Hythlodaeus

Postby Evropi » 29 Mar 2013, 02:13

Hythlodaeus {l Wrote}:Do you think you can help with modelling at this point? Since most of the meshes needed at the moment are purely static objects, someone else could easily do the conversion for you. Keep in mind the faster we get D3 content replaced, the faster the standalone version will come out.

And no ATM we're not using BFG edition code. Fore more info on this refer to this thread.

Well, I have lots and lots of free time coming up. If I could have the reference images, I could indeed help. I'm very familiar with Thief 1's and 2's art direction if that's worth anything. And yeah, I'm very poor at animation so a few static objects I'd love to contribute.

I wasn't aware that there were serious regressions in terms of lighting for the BFG edition. Surprised that id would take a step back like that - I guess they really do focus on individual games' needs rather than just tech demos passed off as games nowadays!
You just wasted 3 seconds of your life reading this.
Evropi

Postby Hythlodaeus » 29 Mar 2013, 02:16

Just register on the forums and apply for a modeler position, but tell 'em you don't have D3 copy ATM. The leads will easily provide you with the references needed.
Hythlodaeus