Stunt Rally - version 1.9

Stunt Rally - version 1.9

Postby CryHam » 15 Jan 2013, 17:35

We just released 1.9.

Main features: complete changes in simulation, and renew of all tracks.

Only new screenshots with this release, here.

Downloads

Changelog

Homepage

Have Fun !
CryHam
SR Moderator

Re: Stunt Rally - version 1.9

Postby Julius » 15 Jan 2013, 20:35

Great downloading now... and also made a blogpost about. Looking forward to test the new vehicle handling!
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby CryHam » 15 Jan 2013, 21:21

Thanks.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby Tapio » 17 Jan 2013, 09:59

I'd be interested to hear how people like the two new simulation modes.
Tapio

Postby charlie » 17 Jan 2013, 16:10

It looks gorgeous but sadly a bit too gorgeous for my laptop.

Would it be possible to add a couple of graphics options - such as turning shadows on/off? (And any other major performance clinchers that spring to mind.)
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby CryHam » 17 Jan 2013, 16:57

Sure there is.
Just go to Options, tab Graphics and on top you have a combo with graphics settings presets.
Pick Low or even Lowest. Best to do now is Quit and restart game (so options are saved).
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby Julius » 17 Jan 2013, 18:44

Ahh that could be a bit more prominent as an option... I also missed it at my first try.

However even when turning it to "low" the FPS on my actually quite beefy gaming laptop (runs Crysis with little problems) rarely go much above 25fps. So it seems there is plenty optimization possible. Also, unless I start in "high" and turn the graphics down in the game, I get some serious transparency issues in all settings below "high": the car being almost invisible (except for the windows) as long as I stay on the track (and many world props being totally invisible too).

Last but not least... the car seems very static... the springs should probably react more to steering and thus let the car look less like it was a toy "scrubbing" along the track.

Concerning the new car handling... only tested the "easy" mode and that seems finally quite enjoyable... even though I don't see how it is especially easy to drive with it ;) Overall I would say that you definitely found the right direction this time.

P.S.: are there plans to model the interior of the car to have 1st person view? Somehow it is much cooler to drive that way :)
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby CryHam » 17 Jan 2013, 20:57

Well, it is written in the first lines of Quick Help text if you enter Help, and in Readme.txt, it simply can't be easier.

Laptop is laptop, you can't have performance from 50W laptop like from a 500W computer. And we don't support/target laptops.
Optimisation is always possbile, just needs programmers/testers, that know it and would spend time for it. I doubt that one could make a rich 3D game working on laptop and computer, you know how FLOSS games look, and we have a lot of vegetation.
There is probably more CPU/GPU needed for 1.9 because of some changes, also small textures aren't working.

Interesting, it runs Crysis at which fps ? Don't forget Crysis was a great engine developed and optimised by hundreds of people.
Can you make an issue or topic in bugs with screenshot of this and include logs ? I didn't know of such issue yet.

Suspension is stiff, car wouldn't drive in pipes (just bounce of walls) if it was soft. And also in easy mode center of mass is artificially low, it's not in Normal mode.
Well it's a simulation after all, it's not meant to be easy, other games are.

Unfortunately there aren't any plans to model anything, especially cars, we don't have any artists in team.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby ctdabomb » 17 Jan 2013, 21:02

some of the cars have the logo of the company that makes them. Is using the car design and especially the logo illegal or something? that doesn't quite seem right.....
Some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help smiling when you shove them down the stairs.
ctdabomb

Postby CryHam » 17 Jan 2013, 21:09

I don't know exactly. VDrift has few logos. Using real car names in game is wrong true, that's why they have those short 2-3 letter names.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby charlie » 18 Jan 2013, 00:02

It became very playable once I turned down the options. Not sure how I missed it; I think there seems to be several sets of options, which is probably why.

It is a really cool game/sim so far. The driving is quite tough. One thing that compounds it, I feel, is that there the arrow to the next checkpoint isn't very helpful. Almost every time I went off track, no matter how certain I was that I was back on the right road, I constantly got the 'wrong checkpoint' sign.

Have you played NFSW? The checkpoint system on that, a vertical tower of light, is really helpful. It gives you something visual to aim for, whereas the arrow at the top means you have to divert your attention from driving to constantly check it out.
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Julius » 18 Jan 2013, 18:06

I disagree about the comment that Laptops can't play games well... but maybe there is an issue with Bumblebee (Optimus on Linux) and Stunt Rally only uses the on-cpu intel card on my computer... not sure, but that sometimes happens.

Btw... what is the license of the art assets you are using? The .txt in the data directories I checked only mentions their creators, not under which license they are.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby CryHam » 18 Jan 2013, 18:47

Eh, which one doesn't ? They have every info possible with license and even link. If its something from VDrift then it's probably GPLv3.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby Julius » 18 Jan 2013, 18:53

I checked those in the cars directory. But you are right... most others do. A pity that there are so many non-Free works in the game (e.g. non FOSS compatible licenses).
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby CryHam » 18 Jan 2013, 21:57

@Julius
Yes I know, I wish there wasn't any too.
@Charlie
About the checkpoint arrow, that's true. I made long time ago the simplest checkpoint system that works. Then some time later scrawl made the arrow.
There are some tracks like A2-PipeCoil or F16-Clew or S13-Hole that show the worst side of it (i.e. struggling to work). But notice also that NFS has very easy, really straight roads and also you can't drive off road much. Or if you can you won't meet another line of the same track, even going in other direction. On those tracks you do, a lot, and very near.
I made some remarks as I though of new implementation here. Tracking car position on spline was my idea. Has the lowest priority, ie. I'm not touching it, needs a lot of coding and tweaking and not sure if it'd be better.

If you see "Wrong checkpoint" that usually means pressing F12 (go to last good checpoint), especially if you don't know the track, or what you missed.
Anyway knowing tracks helps too, I know them so well that I never use the arrow.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby charlie » 19 Jan 2013, 01:04

The checkpoint system I refer to doesn't require straight roads. There is simply an area, usually the circumference of the track, that once the car enters it then the next checkpoint lights up - direction is irrelevant. You can see a light beam in the sky where the next checkpoint is. Rage also uses this for rally points during the battle arena mode for racing (example).
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby wowie » 22 Jan 2013, 04:33

I just tried this and I think it's great, except for the optimization.
I'm right on your "recommeded specs" (and a desktop) and I have to run this game on "lowest" to get a playable framerate.

Julius {l Wrote}:However even when turning it to "low" the FPS on my actually quite beefy gaming laptop (runs Crysis with little problems) rarely go much above 25fps

So it seems there is plenty optimization possible.

CryHam {l Wrote}:Laptop is laptop, you can't have performance from 50W laptop like from a 500W computer. And we don't support/target laptops.

Optimisation is always possbile, just needs programmers/testers, that know it and would spend time for it.

Just so you know, crysis is one of the most demanding PC games in existence. Here is a pair of screenshots:

-snipped- (crysis screenshot)

A computer that can run THAT should have no issues running this:

-snipped- (stunt rally screenshot)

I know nothing of coding, but it looks like some optimizations could be done. In the mean time, I'll have a bunch of fun playing it the way it is now. :)

Also, nice work including splitscreen mode. Most PC games don't even think about implementing it,
even though it's pretty much standard on every multiplayer console game in existence. :D
Last edited by wowie on 22 Jan 2013, 22:44, edited 2 times in total.
I lost the game.
wowie

Postby Julius » 22 Jan 2013, 17:55

Ahh, don't use those "fake" Crysis promo screens... it doesn't look that nice at all on my laptop ;)
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby wowie » 23 Jan 2013, 00:18

For some reason today it runs with great FPS on medium, and good FPS on high. Still could be better optimized, though.
I lost the game.
wowie