Information (old)

Information (old)

Postby CryHam » 26 Nov 2012, 19:39

This subforum is for posting about Tracks, cars, or any other content (objects, trees, etc).
So you should post here eg. if you are making a track, or to share comments on existing content.

Please remember that (in my vision) this game is NOT about cars. :?
It is about tracks ;) and driving on gravel, in nature sceneries, or on mad stunt tracks.
That's why there are over 100 tracks and just 10 cars.
It takes a lot of time to model a car (and we keep to GPL, CC BY SA and similar licensed material). It is also difficult to make them "feel" different in game and making it fun and drivable, especially on all tracks.

I also want to mention that I made about 95% of SR tracks :o (only 5 were made not by me).
VDrift tracks are an exception here of course. If you like them too much, check out the game VDrift.
Also I was developing Editor, this makes the newly created tracks look better, that's why I sometimes do a "renew" on some of older tracks.
Use the detailed track view (with many columns), to see all track statistics, and sort the list eg. on tracks rating, lenght, pipe/loops amount and so on.

If you plan on making a track, watch the Editor tutorial (10 chapters, 44 minutes total): Track Editor.
For me making a short track requires 1hour, long tracks take about 6hours of editing (including test driving and editing again), this will definitely take a LOT longer if you don't know editor yet.

Technically it is possible to make static objects (buildings, etc, eg. in blender) export them and and put them on track, but this takes much more time.
Night city tracks won't be possible, there is only 1 light (sun) on scene.
And lastly, this is NOT any other game's clone, so posts about wanting to make SR like other game (especially commercial) will be considered evil.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Re: Information

Postby charlie » 26 Nov 2012, 20:25

Here's the first 4 video tutorials for the Stunt Rally Track Editor.

All 10 are indexed on the wiki:
http://code.google.com/p/vdrift-ogre/wi ... o_Tutorial

They are also available on Crystal Hammer's YouTube channel.

Stunt Rally Track Editor - Chapter 1: Introduction

youtu.be/nJrpQbwzlXE

Stunt Rally Track Editor - Chapter 2: Terrain

youtu.be/FDJFRgW52ms

Stunt Rally Track Editor - Chapter 3: Road, basic

youtu.be/ylUySzCSjd8

Stunt Rally Track Editor - Chapter 4: Road, advanced

youtu.be/Gycjc7noflY
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Hero » 05 Dec 2012, 02:22

Pretty nice!

How long have you been working on this?

Just some ideas. Have contest for track making with a reward of... what about you make a great track and E-Mail it to the winner. Then you can release it at another time.

Publicize where ever possible. This game is really good so you won't really need to photo shop shots that much.

Thanks,
Hero
Keep your mouth closed while chewing your food! That's ALL I hear.

For more game forums go to opengameforums.zxq.net and register today!
Hero

Postby CryHam » 13 Dec 2012, 23:00

Started around Dec 2009. So it's 3 years now. First release was in Apr 2010.
CryHam
SR Moderator