How to avoid your game to be posted on undesired sites ?

How to avoid your game to be posted on undesired sites ?

Postby farcodev » 21 May 2012, 20:44

Hi. I have a little question for the community.

Two years ago, when the previous and failed iteration of FARC was on Sourceforge, I seen that the package of this previous iteration was listed by a site like 01.net (http://www.01net.com/telecharger/window ... 43005.html). Sorry the page is in french, but it was an unpleasant surprise to find the package here, especially for a unfinished game only in alpha...

Is there a mean to avoid to have package of our games referenced by such websites ?

It seems that since I'm on google code, this sort of thing doesn't occur anymore, I have a snapshot uploaded on it and it's (luckily) not referenced by any other site.

Thanks for your answers :)
farcodev

Re: How to avoid your game to be posted on undesired sites ?

Postby Julius » 21 May 2012, 20:59

Hmm not really a solution per se but you could contact them and claim copyright violation.

If they ask in more detail (which they probably will not) you can always argue that the material in the source repository is under a FOSS license but the final game package is not (technically it is your right to dual-license your stuff however you want). Of course they could then take your game from the repository and package (and probably compile) it themselves, but I doubt such sites will bother.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby amuzen » 21 May 2012, 22:49

If I really had to get my game unlisted for some reason, I would send an email that clearly, calmly and politely explains why I think that it would be the best for the game to not be listed on the site. I would expect this to work reasonably well if your reasoning makes sense and the site administrators are mostly sane.

Technically, there is no way to stop people from redistributing and discussing your game if it is open source. You can try to do that regardless, but it may bite you in the rear quite hard thanks to Streisand effect. You may get away with it if you are small and insignificant enough and do not threaten the wrong people, but I personally would not try my luck.

Anyway, if it were up to me to decide, I would just ignore the whole issue. If the statistics from my project are of any indication, being listed on a typical website has negligible effect since you will get about 1 hit per day if you do not actively post updates or make noise in other ways. That is not worth all the trouble in my opinion.
amuzen
LoS Moderator

Postby farcodev » 22 May 2012, 02:07

A big THANKS to you two for your answers ! :)

I'll apply your advices if it will happen again the next time
farcodev