Zombie Mod 0.9.0

Zombie Mod 0.9.0

Postby orbitaldecay » 14 Oct 2011, 07:08

Hey all,

I've been working on a zombie mod. Basically, everyone intially spawns on a human team except for 1 (or a couple, depending on settings) zombie(s). Everytime a zombie kills a human, they become a zombie. Once everyone becomes a zombie, the round ends. There are a few other little features that can be tweaked. It's currently running on [Wazu] Zombie Mod. Take a look and tell me what needs fixing :)

http://www.orbitaldecay.com/code/zombiemod-0.9.0.zip

Edit:
A few other things that are worth mentioning: the mod is entirely server side, so it works with vanilla RE. Also, there are some new vars to play with that are explained in the README. My original intention was to only let zombies melee. Unfortunately, the AI code melees very poorly, so the server is currently running zombies with swords. This can be changed with the sv_zombieweapon variable.
[ Wazu Clan ][ irc.wazuclan.com #wazuclan ][ http://www.orbitaldecay.com ]
orbitaldecay

Re: Zombie Mod 0.9.0

Postby Ulukai » 14 Oct 2011, 13:46

Sounds like a lot of fun! If this works out, could it be implemented as a mutator or is it technically too different?

Are zombies stronger than humans or maybe they can't be killed? Because 1 vs all would require quite some skill :)
Ulukai

Postby orbitaldecay » 14 Oct 2011, 15:08

No, zombies have more health to compensate for their other shortcomings. I've written it in such a way that it could be included as a mutator, but I don't know if it would be worth doing so. Depends on how polished and balanced I can get it.
orbitaldecay

Postby riidom » 14 Oct 2011, 16:14

Played one match so far, half of it alone, half of it with a mate. First impressions:
- Avoiding team damage is more important than in any other game variation. If you get teamkilled, you can very nicely do revenge as zombie right after respawn, that is a pretty nice side-effect (didnt happen in my match, though).
- When I started alone, I was only human against 4 bot-zombies. Is that the way it is intended?
- Having a way to thin out the number of zombies would be nice. Maybe there can be a counter for total number of zombies, that gets decreased by 1 each time a zombie spawns? Or there are items placed that need to be destroyed by humans and once all are gone, zombies cant respawn anymore (e.g. a turret that does no (big) damage but has plenty of health). There could also be a single turret with very much health, and each time a zombie spawns, the turret looses some energy (like a battery-driven zombie-factory, that runs out of energy while producing/getting shot). I have no clue what idea is easiest to implement, and of course "surviving over time" works too, maybe better with more players.

I'm amazed to see how that will turn out! With more matches and more players there will be better feedback too, I hope.
riidom

Postby inpersona64 » 15 Oct 2011, 00:24

FlyingHigh {l Wrote}:Very nice! I think humans should have more limits to what they can do and zombies should get infinite pulse. However this would only work on maps made specifically for this mode

+1

I'm thinking humans either have to find their weapons, or spawn with only ONE WEAPON and the Pistol as default.
inpersona64

Postby orbitaldecay » 15 Oct 2011, 15:55

FlyingHigh {l Wrote}:Very nice! I think humans should have more limits to what they can do and zombies should get infinite pulse. However this would only work on maps made specifically for this mode

One of the problems with this mod being strictly server side is that I have no control over movement or impulse at all. That's all done completely client side.

inpersona64 {l Wrote}:I'm thinking humans either have to find their weapons, or spawn with only ONE WEAPON and the Pistol as default.

I don't think I understand what you mean. Humans do spawn with only a pistol.
orbitaldecay

Postby inpersona64 » 15 Oct 2011, 16:26

orbitaldecay {l Wrote}:I don't think I understand what you mean. Humans do spawn with only a pistol.

I'm talking Arena wise. I mean is the Zombie mode just like regular TDM, or is Arena ever tossed in there? Cause I mean, if it is, that's what i was referring to. If its just a "find your weapon and kill teh zombie" mode, then nvm.
inpersona64

Postby bovineuniversity » 23 Oct 2011, 00:37

Can you control what happens if someone suicides? Some dink was suiciding when he was infected or got in trouble, coming back as human. An anti-coward feature.
bovineuniversity

Postby orbitaldecay » 23 Oct 2011, 03:42

bovineuniversity {l Wrote}:Can you control what happens if someone suicides? Some dink was suiciding when he was infected or got in trouble, coming back as human. An anti-coward feature.

Yeah, I've been thinking about that, it seems to be a persistant problem. The thing is, even if it penalizes someone for explicitly suiciding, they can still intentionally fall into lava or some other map hazard. Hmm...
orbitaldecay

Postby kr1egsgott » 23 Oct 2011, 08:33

Suicide is quite helpful when you get stuck or to the "mystic place".
I don't know if its a big challenge but maybee allow it like every 60 seconds?!

I would be suprised if someone comes up with a good idea about the map-hazards (no offense ;) ).
Imho Zombie-Mod needs special maps anyway.
kr1egsgott

Postby Ulukai » 25 Oct 2011, 14:45

I played a game of Zombie Mod last night but I found it way too easy. The zombies are not challenging and seem rather dumbed down, don't know why. Maybe they should be able to kill you instantly. We played multiple maps and zombies never killed all humans. Suddenly some players got cured, but it wasn't clear why... When does that happen?
Ulukai

Postby ZeroKnight » 25 Oct 2011, 15:42

Lol I haven't played recently, but this is rather surprising. When we first launched it, it was quite the opposite. Was rare for humans to survive ;)
[ Github ][ WazuClan -- irc.wazuclan.com #wazuclan ][ Zero's Archive of RE Extensions, Scripts, WeapMods & More! ]
ZeroKnight

Postby Kenzieone(Jesus) » 30 Oct 2011, 01:40

This is wayyyy too easy. I've heard complaints of it being boring, gallery shooting, etc. To even the odds I've even tried to make a zombie kill me, and they haven't been able to. Maybe spawn with swords?
"[player] was:
shown the light
given kungfu lessons
impaled
chargrilled
cooked alive
fireballed

by Jesus
Kenzieone(Jesus)

Postby orbitaldecay » 30 Oct 2011, 21:12

Kenzieone(Jesus) {l Wrote}:This is wayyyy too easy. I've heard complaints of it being boring, gallery shooting, etc. To even the odds I've even tried to make a zombie kill me, and they haven't been able to. Maybe spawn with swords?

Yes, the bots are very bad at melee. I've set it up to spawn with swords again.
orbitaldecay

Postby Goku » 01 Nov 2011, 04:56

Overall this is a fun gametype. There are only a few suggestion I could think of atm.

- it would be great if the zombie team had the playermodel of the zombie grunts.

- the method of curing should be more apparent. im not fully sure i understand how it works now.

- maybe you need to find one variable to tweak to even the chances of zombies or humans winning.

- the map selection should be narrowed down to maps that work perfectly with the gametype. there are a few that work better than others.

these are just some things ive been thinking since i started testing the gametype. thanks for the mod
Goku

Postby kr1egsgott » 01 Nov 2011, 10:06

My suggestion would be to give them swords and make them not use parkour. However, I dont know what effect this would have together with the maps.
kr1egsgott

Postby greaserpirate » 01 Nov 2011, 17:54

Even if the teams are uneven, you could still compare individual players' scores instead of team scores because you change teams so much that it's hard to have allegiance to one or the other throughout the whole game.

Also, is there any way you can make this not override all the gamemodes?

(Edit: Actually, since the "bin" folder size is so small you could compile as many copies of the game as you want, so if you want to play Zombie mode you can just rename the "bin folders, but this still isn't an ideal solution).
Last edited by greaserpirate on 01 Nov 2011, 22:29, edited 1 time in total.

Friendship is Magic Voice Chat Mod
(Map) Trespass
(Map) Suspended
Find out more about >DOOM< here: www.redoomclan.tk
greaserpirate

Postby bovineuniversity » 01 Nov 2011, 18:05

shouldn't it be "expert" mode? i.e. you have to do a headshot on the zombies to kill them? that's how real zombies are. :)
bovineuniversity

Postby ZeroKnight » 01 Nov 2011, 19:23

Hey guys, your suggestions are noted, rest assured. Orbital (the magnificent man coding this little gamemode of mine) is busy with school, and will be until the end of December, so not many modifications can be made at the moment, as he's done the coding (I'm still not good enough at C++) and he has control over the server.

I can't speak for orbital, but it does look like he comes online when he can. I'm glad you guys like this, and I just wish I was better with code to advance it for you. So, not much can happen right now, but comments are being noted by me and probably orbital, so don't be discouraged :)
[ Github ][ WazuClan -- irc.wazuclan.com #wazuclan ][ Zero's Archive of RE Extensions, Scripts, WeapMods & More! ]
ZeroKnight

Postby orbitaldecay » 01 Nov 2011, 19:50

Thank you Zero. I do indeed keep an eye on the forum :) To the weapon comments - I have reinstated swords, so zombies spawn with swords again. The server should be reasonably balanced at this point (at least playable).

@bovineuniversity

Yes! I have tinkered with this, but it is extremely difficult to balance. If I could make the zombies move slowly, this would work well. But as far as I can see that is not possible without modding the client. Modding the client would mean that the server would no longer work with vanilla RE :(

@kre1gsgott

Turning off parkour might be possible, but to be honest, playing without parkour drives me nuts. So I haven't explored that option.

@ Goku

Again, one of the limitations of keeping it compatible with vanilla RE is that I am not able to add new player models :( The cure system is admittedly pretty weak - everytime a zombie is killed by a human there is a 20% chance that they will be cured. This was done in an attempt to balance gameplay a little (so zombies don't dominate the humans so quickly). I'm looking for less confusing ways to do this.
orbitaldecay

Postby Goku » 01 Nov 2011, 23:31

something similar to the titan meter in ut3 would work well.

instead of a 20% chance, you can fill your cure meter by 20% with each kill or by doing damage. that way people have a goal to monitor as they attempt to get cured.

The zombie models already exist within the game, but i have no clue how you would get a team to spawn with that model.
Goku

Postby orbitaldecay » 01 Nov 2011, 23:46

Goku {l Wrote}:something similar to the titan meter in ut3 would work well.

instead of a 20% chance, you can fill your cure meter by 20% with each kill or by doing damage. that way people have a goal to monitor as they attempt to get cured.

I really like that idea! Though again, this is something that would require client side modding :( If this ever becomes something that finds its way into the main branch, this (among many other ideas mentioned) would be neat to see.

Goku {l Wrote}:The zombie models already exist within the game, but i have no clue how you would get a team to spawn with that model.

I did not know that. Perhaps we can find a way to make this work after all...
orbitaldecay

Postby Goku » 02 Nov 2011, 00:20

im looking for the zombie models from onslaught, however im not having much luck locating that. I think the grunt models in data/models/actors/grunt would work better than the normal playermodel if the onslaught zombie models cant be used.

heres the grunt model that should be doable if all the animations are there. Im not sure if the onslaught models have enough animations to be playable.

another thing i have been thinking is the balance between zombie and human teams winning could be achieved without messing with the game mechanics. If the time limit of each map could be subdivided into say 2-5 minute rounds (the number would be the crucial variable to tweak) the humans could have a chance of surviving the "everyone has been infected" several times in one game. right now it feels like you play until everyone is infected several times then the last round the humans have a chance.

one more thought, right now you switch teams so much the player has few team oriented goals. a possible way this can be fixed is if each team read as a free for all list. it would not change the way the score works but would eliminate the team feel. it feels like an individual effort when surviving zombies already but u could team up if you want.

lol, im sure both of those suggestions would require the mode be in a official release
Goku

Postby kr1egsgott » 05 Nov 2011, 20:02

kr1's todays blahblah:
-> The Sword is too powerful, zombies need only one hit most of the time. 3 hits would be ok for me.
-> Bots steal weapons... X)
-> Bots are not removed when the horde grows.

Ideas from others I like:
-> Cure-Bar. Like when you kill a zombie a bar rises. The heighter the value the heighter the chance to cure someone. initial value 20.
-> Zombiefy our favorite suiciders after like 3 suicides/jumpoffs.
kr1egsgott

Postby qreeves » 06 Nov 2011, 09:54

Well, orbital may have time next month or so, hopefully by then I will have a house to live in and can get back to working on RE so we can integrate this idea properly.
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves