Website, Part two (plan, roadmap, final decisions)

Website, Part two (plan, roadmap, final decisions)

Postby StefanP.MUC » 10 Sep 2011, 17:02

Now that a general idea and consenus on the future of the website exists, I think it's time to start thinking about the procedure, the general plan, how to change from the status quo to the new website, so that we can quickly fill and update everything with content and the OD theme to attract new devs and users for a quicker development and bigger player base in the future.

This clean, new topic is for final adjustments and opinions and to keep it central. Here is my suggested roadmap:

What software?
Main framework - Wolf CMS (central Website + Blog)
Development Wiki - MediaWiki
Source Documentation - HTML generated by Doxygen
Bug/Feature Tracker - Trac on SF
Forum - FreeGameDev

Server structure
The main URL opendungeons.sourceforge.net leads to the start page from WolfCMS, the central starting point.
The subdir /wiki holds the MediaWiki software that is used for the dev wiki, linked from a static page in the CMS.
The subdir /docs holds the Doxygen html output, linked from a static page in the CMS.

Navigation on CMS
  • Frontpage - similar to the current wiki start page, reached by click on Logo
  • About - Holds more indepth information, small gallery
  • Download - Holds links to the latest stable version for all platforms + short introduction about trunk version (incl. link to dev wiki)
  • Blog - WolfCMS blog, used to post updates (releases, teaser screenshots and dev milestones)
  • Development - gives a short introduction and has all links to relevant pages (build instructions, guidelines, roadmaps, doxygen, trac ...)
  • Forum - directly links here

How to switch?
Not exactly sure on this one, please post opinions and comments about what's the best way here. I think we should try a complete "restart":
Backing up the Wiki contents, then deleting the databases and install newest versions of WolfCMS and MediaWiki. In MediaWiki we then re-import the contents from the backup.
StefanP.MUC

Re: Website, Part two (plan, roadmap, final decisions)

Postby svenskmand » 11 Sep 2011, 09:20

About the switch just make opendungeons.sf.net/testsite point to the new site and let opendungeons.sf.net point to the wiki. Then when every thing is done and well tested then we can change the link so that opendungoens.sf.net points to the main CMS site.
Jamendo.com - The best music store on the net, uses CC licenses.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby oln » 11 Sep 2011, 09:26

Mediawiki is the newest version by the way, I upgraded it recently.
oln

Postby StefanP.MUC » 20 Sep 2011, 15:26

Who is going to do this (someone with admin rights for the OD project has to)? I only have ftp access, but no ssh and no database access. So I can't for example upload zip files and extract them via ssh on the server (directly uploading 4000+ files for doxygen is no fun and takes several hours...)
StefanP.MUC

Postby oln » 20 Sep 2011, 15:32

I have given you admin rights, though I think you might already have had ssh access. I am not able to do much work right now as I am in a pretty bad shape.
oln

Postby StefanP.MUC » 20 Sep 2011, 15:43

Thanks. But last time I tried I had only FTP access. I'll try again now.
StefanP.MUC

Postby StefanP.MUC » 20 Sep 2011, 16:42

Yeah, now I have full access. :)

Doxygen: http://opendungeons.sourceforge.net/documentation/
(still needs some good front page and settings, currently it's just code crawl with maximum possible graphical output, without good frontpage etc.)

WolfCMS: http://opendungeons.sourceforge.net/wolfcms
(I'm currently working my way through the admin panels. What admin password shoudl we take? The MySQL admin password?)
StefanP.MUC

Postby svenskmand » 20 Sep 2011, 17:02

The documentation page looks good, only the colors should maybe be changed to fit the OD color theme and then you should use the new banner logo on the top instead.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby StefanP.MUC » 20 Sep 2011, 17:08

I tried with the big logo, but it uses a rather big space. And I'm not sure if the common developer needs to see the big logo all the time. ;) I think it's more important for the regular website. But let's hear some more opinions, currently eveything needs some review first, anyways.
StefanP.MUC

Postby StefanP.MUC » 20 Sep 2011, 18:47

If anyone wants to help with the CMS:
Admin panel: cms root + /admin
user: admin
pw: same as MySQL DB admin password

By the way, do you think it would be good to have a central mail address that all admins can access (used as admin mail for software and maybe a general address that players can write to)?
StefanP.MUC

Postby svenskmand » 21 Sep 2011, 00:00

You can just resize it ;)

StefanP.MUC {l Wrote}:If anyone wants to help with the CMS:

By the way, do you think it would be good to have a central mail address that all admins can access (used as admin mail for software and maybe a general address that players can write to)?

For now I think the best is for the players to use the forum, as we check the forums every/multiple times a day
Attachments
NewODLogoBanner.png
This should do it ;)
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby StefanP.MUC » 21 Sep 2011, 18:42

Yes, that's better. I'll use that on the next docs update.

By the way, we shouldn't all use the same admin account on WolfCMS. You can create your own account (with admin rights, too) from the admin panel when you log in as "admin" (Users->Create new user).
StefanP.MUC

Postby StefanP.MUC » 22 Sep 2011, 10:57

Could need some design advices as I'm currently playing around with the CSS of the CMS.

- what background should the header have? The stones makes the logo hard to read. Is the parchment good for the header or is it only supposed for content background? Or should we simply take a solid color for the header bg?

- what background for the navigation? Solid color (which?) or also some image (which?) ?

- The page content is dived in three columns (left column which I use for quicklinks, center which is the actual content and rigth column is for links sub pages), what background should they have? I can also remove columns (for example the right one, don't think we ever need subpages).

What font colors should I take?

The most easy one would be to make the whole background perchment, font color white.
StefanP.MUC

Postby svenskmand » 22 Sep 2011, 12:48

The images/svgs are here: and the design looks like this.

StefanP.MUC {l Wrote}:Could need some design advices as I'm currently playing around with the CSS of the CMS.

- what background should the header have? The stones makes the logo hard to read. Is the parchment good for the header or is it only supposed for content background? Or should we simply take a solid color for the header bg?

The stones are fine when they have a gray gradient above them (see the second link above). The parchment is only for the content background.
StefanP.MUC {l Wrote}:- what background for the navigation? Solid color (which?) or also some image (which?) ?

Last time we agreed on the gray menu (see second link above).
StefanP.MUC {l Wrote}:- The page content is dived in three columns (left column which I use for quicklinks, center which is the actual content and rigth column is for links sub pages), what background should they have? I can also remove columns (for example the right one, don't think we ever need subpages).

If you want submenus like you have in the development link (the quick links), which I like, we can make them appear below the menu, but only when the respective link is clicked. I can make an extension of the menu in the svg where we can do this.

I do not think we need those columns, we only need the center column for the content.
StefanP.MUC {l Wrote}:What font colors should I take?

That should be decided after the design is roughly done.
StefanP.MUC {l Wrote}:The most easy one would be to make the whole background perchment, font color white.

That would be too boring in my opinion. But we agreed along time ago for the design in my second link, if you have suggestions for changes then lets hear them.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby StefanP.MUC » 22 Sep 2011, 14:11

Ah, I totally forgot about this design. Thanks for the reminder. :D I'll try to get this working then.
StefanP.MUC

Postby oln » 23 Sep 2011, 10:03

I think the parchment background is a bit too bright for white text. Would it be possible to make it darker, or have a darker square in the area where there is text?
oln

Postby oln » 23 Sep 2011, 14:01

StefanP.MUC {l Wrote}:If anyone wants to help with the CMS:

Logging in as this didn't work.
oln

Postby StefanP.MUC » 23 Sep 2011, 14:32

Did you take the right password? We have three db users with different rights. You need the "admin" one.

Btw, I'm getting at the limit of my css knowledge. Getting the borders like this is hard (CSS2.1 doesn't support image borders and CSS3 isn't officially out).
StefanP.MUC

Postby svenskmand » 23 Sep 2011, 15:07

Oln the text color will be change according to the background later when the design is finished more.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby oln » 23 Sep 2011, 15:09

Just ignore the round borders for now then, it's not a big deal.

I tried the one that was listed as database admin. Though, maybe you could make me an account with admin rights and pm me the details (will change the password), then I can use that.
oln

Postby StefanP.MUC » 23 Sep 2011, 15:12

PMs are disabled here. :D

I try to overwrite the password with the db password again.
StefanP.MUC

Postby StefanP.MUC » 23 Sep 2011, 15:15

Ok, I did set the admin password again to the db admin password. username is still "admin". Logging in this way works for me.
StefanP.MUC

Postby oln » 23 Sep 2011, 15:20

Worked now, made an account, so you can reset the pass.
oln

Postby StefanP.MUC » 23 Sep 2011, 15:27

oln {l Wrote}:Worked now, made an account, so you can reset the pass.

I don't know to what. I am surprised that it wasn't the db password the first time. :D
StefanP.MUC

Postby svenskmand » 23 Sep 2011, 19:08

StefanP.MUC {l Wrote}:Did you take the right password? We have three db users with different rights. You need the "admin" one.

Btw, I'm getting at the limit of my css knowledge. Getting the borders like this is hard (CSS2.1 doesn't support image borders and CSS3 isn't officially out).

Why can you not just use a table?

It is beginning to look good :)

Oln: could you make me an account also? Just email me the password.
svenskmand
OD Moderator