Hail to the thief, Sourceforge removed my project

Re: Hail to the thief, Sourceforge removed my project

Postby farcodev » 26 Aug 2011, 03:47

I especially want to thank all of you in this thread for your kind support ! :)

Tomorrow is a day off for me and i'll pass it to continue to continue to dev this 0.5 version.

And for the 0.5.1 i'll remove this annoying asset ;)
farcodev

Postby malevolent » 08 Sep 2011, 09:40

farcodev, you should remove the sourceforge banner from your home... maybe they can sue you to innapropiate image use XDDD
malevolent

Postby farcodev » 09 Sep 2011, 19:31

Oops done.

Ya they could sue me for that, lol
farcodev

Postby mdwh » 11 Sep 2011, 19:13

I wonder why SF doesn't follow the DMCA, which I thought was meant to provide a system to handle these issues? AIUI, if someone thinks he's infringing, they request SF to remove it. But here's the key thing: if the person disagrees, he can make that claim, which means it's then up for the 3rd person to sue him, and there's no liability for SF, who have just followed the rules.

So I don't know why SF have taking it upon them to delete something just based on some 3rd party claim. Yeah sure, we can all play lawyers and say maybe it is infringing, but that's missing the point - the point is it should be left to the 3rd party and farcodev to sort it out, with the ruling decided in a court if that's what the 3rd party wants to do.

(Personally I find Launchpad a more friendlier place. Also helps that they don't have a "we can do whatever we like with your work" IP clause like SF does for the non-code portions of projects, which doesn't exactly make it compatible with open source... I did raise this issue with them, and the reply from one of their lawyers didn't at all match up with what their TOS actually says, which doesn't exactly inspire confidence as to how they handle legal copyright issues.)
mdwh

Postby charlie » 11 Sep 2011, 22:06

Hi mdwh. I think the point here is that SF.net believed that they had made sufficient attempts to contact farcodev, and that as the matter had not been resolved to their satisfaction they no longer wished to host the project. I don't think it is an issue of liability. They do not want to provide free resources to projects they feel are not in the spirit of open source / software freedom. I'm sure if farcodev was a paying customer, they'd have a far more relaxed policy that erred on the side of maintaining the customer.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby farcodev » 11 Sep 2011, 22:36

@mdwh: I also like (ironically) the way they keep the right to keep the files of a project even long time it has been disabled. At least it's not a problem anymore for FARC...
And I'm not surprised that you had issues with their clauses too, it's bad that SF is so a reference in FOSS world...

@charlie: exactly, and why they should care about non-customers and unknown devs in the world. As free occupants of their server space we don't have much weight.

Anyway SF is past now, even if most of the web site traffic came from their site, well I think I'll live with that :)
farcodev

Postby KIAaze » 28 Sep 2011, 17:38

farcodev {l Wrote}:Thanks but since 2005 !!!
I posted my raging answer hehe

here's the proof:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/692/unled2tx.jpg/

I remember that in 2005 i had an email about it and removed the 3 screenshots, but there was nothing else because there's only THIS spacecraft in question, it's why the "multiple violations" make me laugh.

So reproduce a 3d object like this completely by yourself and put it in a FOSS is a crime, ya right.

So in this case there's many deletions to make in load of other projects... And all 3d artists that remake same models too.

Coming in a bit late here, but:
Is it normal that it says: image has been removed due to ToS violations? Or did sourceforge not like what you posted on imageshack?
KIAaze

Postby sireus » 28 Sep 2011, 21:32

Does it say that? For me, it only says "This photo has been removed."
sireus

Postby farcodev » 29 Sep 2011, 02:54

Ya, since this "case" is closed i removed the pictures.
farcodev

Postby mdwh » 29 Sep 2011, 22:38

Well, I guess it's true they may remove something because they want to, even if they don't have to legally.

But the flip side is, if they want to uphold the "spirit of open source / software freedom", I'd say that also means not supporting dodgy copyright infringement claims. This is surely the very thing completely against the spirit of open source and software freedom.

Anyhow, I guess the main problem is not hearing back from farcodev in time. What's the outcome - are they willing to reinstate it now that farcodev asserts it isn't a copyright violation?
mdwh

Postby FreakNigh » 29 Sep 2011, 22:54

Maybe there is a governmental conspiracy involved.
FreakNigh

Postby farcodev » 03 Oct 2011, 17:45

@mdwh i don'T plan to go back to SF, and they don't plan to reinstate the project too.

@FreakNigh lol ya, there's some men in black in front of my house since :S
farcodev