New Release: v1.1 (Supernova Edition)

New Release: v1.1 (Supernova Edition)

Postby qreeves » 25 Jul 2011, 04:19

In an effort to maintain a good open source philosophy of "release early, release often", we are proud to announce the next release of Red Eclipse: v1.1 (Supernova Edition).

Changes include:
  • New personalization option to change your character colour. (Popular Demand)
  • New power jump (crouch and hold space) and power slide moves (crouch while landing).
  • Jetpack has been retooled into a hoverpack, which limits height off the ground. (Popular Demand)
  • Physics and weapon tweaks to make the game feel more natural and balanced.
  • Must now carry the ball into the goal in Bomber-Ball. (Popular Demand)
  • New radar system; the radarstyle variable lets you choose how you want your radar. (Popular Demand)
  • New maps; "blink" by Wicked and "error" by blarg.
  • New particles and crosshairs. (Popular Demand)
  • Work in progress league mutator, the beginnings of class-based gameplay.
  • Elimination of all poorly licensed content, should now be DFSG compliant.
  • Many bug fixes; voting menu works, etc.
.. and probably more than we could really list here. Enjoy :)

[Download v1.1 (Supernova Edition)]
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Re: New Release: v1.1 (Supernova Edition)

Postby IMMJR » 25 Jul 2011, 04:26

Congrats on the release, Quin! Also congrats to Blarg and Wicked for their additions to the already awesome Map line-up!
IMMJR

Postby Goku » 25 Jul 2011, 06:50

Mac version did not work for me. Application bounces once and quits fast. I use Snow Leopard. Ill keep trying different solutions and ill post if I figure anything out.
Goku

Postby Goku » 25 Jul 2011, 07:04

Found a solution. Make a new folder called Red Eclipse. Right click on the Red Eclipse 1.1 App and show package contents. Find the src and data folders and move them into the new "Red Eclipse" folder. move the app into that folder. It should work now. Reference how the 1.0 version looks on your mac if you cant figure it out. If it does not work for you, try copying the data and src folders instead of moving them. Very excited to figure it out so quick.
Goku

Postby qreeves » 25 Jul 2011, 08:51

@FlyingHigh and Goku: Could you perhaps try the repackaged 1.1-1_osx release and tell me if it works any better? I'm trying to get the application bundle working correctly, but packaging remotely is causing me some trouble.
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby Knitter » 25 Jul 2011, 11:01

I didn't try the first version but the repackaged works fine in OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard).
Knitter

Postby Fresh » 25 Jul 2011, 11:27

I just got into Red Eclipse, solid game. Do i have to download the whole thing (400mb) to update it? seems a bit much compared to updates in most other games..
Fresh

Postby qreeves » 25 Jul 2011, 13:12

Fresh {l Wrote}:Do i have to download the whole thing (400mb) to update it?

Unfortunately, at this point, yes. We don't currently have an easy way of updating the entire tree across all three platforms.
qreeves

Postby Julius » 25 Jul 2011, 13:21

Updating is supported with Desura under Windows, right?
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Fresh » 25 Jul 2011, 14:39

qreeves {l Wrote}:
Fresh {l Wrote}:Do i have to download the whole thing (400mb) to update it?

Unfortunately, at this point, yes. We don't currently have an easy way of updating the entire tree across all three platforms.

No problem, thanks for clearing that up. look out for Fresh at wcg Red Eclipse ^_^
Fresh

Postby Julian » 25 Jul 2011, 20:31

Repackaged file works for me, thanks.

J
Julian

Postby ZeroKnight » 27 Jul 2011, 22:52

Yay! Finally :D I'm so happy about the release ^^
I really like all the new features. Thanks a lot, qreeves, and every other dev! You guys are awesome <3

Though I gotta say, I am a bit sad to see that you can no longer throw the bomb into the goal :/
[ Github ][ WazuClan -- irc.wazuclan.com #wazuclan ][ Zero's Archive of RE Extensions, Scripts, WeapMods & More! ]
ZeroKnight

Postby riidom » 28 Jul 2011, 01:06

I pretty much agree to that, the 1.1 release feels way better to me. On a side-note: The "basket" variant of bomberball brings back the old "throw in goal" behaviour.
riidom

Postby greaserpirate » 28 Jul 2011, 02:26

I'm totally a fan of the power slide and power jump, and the idea of league-based gameplay is great. However, there are a few bugs on the Linux version- you can't join games if you set both your weapons to "random", and it randomly crashes sometimes. Also, I think when you play on a team you shouldn't get to choose your color because it's extremely confusing when a player on team alpha chooses red, etc. In addition to being confusing, it's also hard to find a color that doesn't look completely ugly on both team colors besides black, grey and white. Also, I think the new fire particles are too harsh-looking and rough-edged. I liked the old ones better.. but again, that's just my opinion, and I can always go back and change it.

Can't wait to see the final version once the bug fixes are done!

Friendship is Magic Voice Chat Mod
(Map) Trespass
(Map) Suspended
Find out more about >DOOM< here: www.redoomclan.tk
greaserpirate

Postby PSYKORGASM » 28 Jul 2011, 09:47

Not sure if its a bug but when I've been using the shotgun and get involved in an explosion, it drops the shotgun on the floor and leaves me for about 5 seconds with the hands and arms still in position of holding the weapon as if its turned invisible, only to realise it's on the damn floor.

It's happened about 3 times so far, I'll get a pic next time if you want.
PSYKORGASM

Postby riidom » 28 Jul 2011, 12:59

Noticed that too, was just too quick dead afterwards to realise anything.. also happened only with shotgut so far.
@greaserpirate: The team colours override the personal colours completely, so there is nothing to worry about.
riidom

Postby NetMassimo » 28 Jul 2011, 16:45

I installed RE 1.1 after playing with version 1.0 since it was released. The new version of the background music is really cool. :cool:

I noticed Blink (and you're dead! ;) ) map so I tried it and had great fun. With the new version's improvements the game experience is better so RE is really becoming a fantastic game. Congratulations to all the developers and artists for a terrific job!
Ciao :-)
Massimo
NetMassimo

Postby Kitsune » 28 Jul 2011, 17:21

riidom, only half the skin chanegs in Team mode's, there is a pattern that still shows your selected color, thats what he's talking about.
Kitsune

Postby qreeves » 29 Jul 2011, 07:01

PSYKORGASM {l Wrote}:Not sure if its a bug but when I've been using the shotgun and get involved in an explosion, it drops the shotgun on the floor and leaves me for about 5 seconds with the hands and arms still in position of holding the weapon as if its turned invisible, only to realise it's on the damn floor.

That's reload jamming, it happens if you interrupt a reload process on a weapon too much. It has a random chance of happening and the chances vary depending on the weapon.
qreeves

Postby ZeroKnight » 29 Jul 2011, 23:48

I just noticed a bug with player color. I was on the Quake.Fr 1.1 server when myself and OLI noticed that the player color you chose isn't what shows in game. OLI had his player color set to a green color, but I saw him as purple. I have my color set to a green as well, and he saw me as a light blue. I guess no one noticed it since everyone just thinks that color is their color. But look into it, ask people what your color is, you may be surprised. :/

Also, is the Team Balance going to be fixed sometime soon? I made a talk bind specifically saying to press F7, lol...too bad no one listens.

Other than those two bugs, 1.1 has been absolutely amazing so far, and I haven't noticed anything else wrong.
[ Github ][ WazuClan -- irc.wazuclan.com #wazuclan ][ Zero's Archive of RE Extensions, Scripts, WeapMods & More! ]
ZeroKnight

Postby greaserpirate » 30 Jul 2011, 00:21

Some other things I noticed: flak collisions are buggy(flak doesn't have the same type of collisions as the original, so if fire is set to sticky, flak fire will still bounce). Also, there aren't any variables controlling the speed and energy usage of the power slide and power jump; or if they are, they've been coupled with other variables, which is not a good solution.

But I agree, this version rules.

Friendship is Magic Voice Chat Mod
(Map) Trespass
(Map) Suspended
Find out more about >DOOM< here: www.redoomclan.tk
greaserpirate

Postby LuckyStrike-Rx » 30 Jul 2011, 01:34

Good Job for the release, downloading right now.
As soon as I get my new PC and some free time, I start redoing pistol 1rst, finish website CSS, then SG/Flamer. Grunt is also getting old...
LuckyStrike-Rx

Postby qreeves » 30 Jul 2011, 16:13

greaserpirate {l Wrote}:Some other things I noticed: flak collisions are buggy(flak doesn't have the same type of collisions as the original, so if fire is set to sticky, flak fire will still bounce). Also, there aren't any variables controlling the speed and energy usage of the power slide and power jump; or if they are, they've been coupled with other variables, which is not a good solution.

Flak now has their own collision variables (weapflakcollide[1|2]), as do the power slide and jump moves (impulsepower*). Sorry, I neglected to update the menus when adding and changing things again :)
qreeves

Postby orbitaldecay » 31 Jul 2011, 01:44

I too have noticed the color bug. There seem to be 2 bugs related to color:

1. The color you see doesn't match the color other people see.
2. Your color changes when you change your name.
[ Wazu Clan ][ irc.wazuclan.com #wazuclan ][ http://www.orbitaldecay.com ]
orbitaldecay

Postby qreeves » 31 Jul 2011, 06:27

Now fixed upstream in revision 2733.
qreeves