Music tracks that I composed

Music tracks that I composed

Postby capricom45 » 26 Jan 2015, 21:36

Hey everyone,

I'm just wondering if any of the music tracks that I composed (They are located here, by the way: https://soundcloud.com/capricom44) can be incorprated into STK

feel free to send me a PM if the License isn't clear on them

(Opinions?)
Last edited by capricom45 on 18 Jul 2015, 21:24, edited 1 time in total.
Socially banned since 2014, a somewhat sleepy musician
capricom45
 
Posts: 98
Joined: 10 Oct 2014, 14:05

Re: Music tracks that I composed

Postby Auria » 27 Jan 2015, 01:08

Hi,

thanks for your interest, though the songs I have listened to do not quite correspond to the style we are looking for in STK. The songs in the game are a little more "cartoonish" than this, generally with few electronic elements and with melodies you could hum to.
Image
User avatar
Auria
STK Moderator
 
Posts: 2754
Joined: 07 Dec 2009, 03:52

Re: Music tracks that I composed

Postby capricom45 » 27 Jan 2015, 10:37

Hi Auria, sorry to hear that.

the style has to be a bit "cartoony"? as in funny?
Last edited by capricom45 on 18 Jul 2015, 21:58, edited 1 time in total.
Socially banned since 2014, a somewhat sleepy musician
capricom45
 
Posts: 98
Joined: 10 Oct 2014, 14:05

Re: Music tracks that I composed

Postby 0zone0ne » 27 Jan 2015, 21:57

The kind of music in SuperTuxKart is more based around memorable melodies and harmonic progressions, and must be designed from the very core to be played over and over, potentially thousands of times. The musical approach for SuperTuxKart that Krobonil and I have been going for recently is similar to the music in Mario Kart 8, which includes a variety of genres that have been mixed and matched to suit the game, predominantly featuring jazz and jazz-rock style music. Some examples:


youtu.be/E1kKtcNYbr8

youtu.be/Xk6sgD9rK0c

youtu.be/lPcCQ7l6HqU

youtu.be/bS__CN75lBk

youtu.be/yMXZuBDeRGU

The music only needs to be 60 to 80 seconds long, but it should have a clear structure with sections, e.g. having an evolving melody with the same accompaniment all the way through will not work. The music should also loop nicely. I have a technique for creating seamless loops that I can explain if you want.

I hope this helps!
User avatar
0zone0ne
 
Posts: 317
Joined: 26 Aug 2012, 02:34

Re: Music tracks that I composed

Postby capricom45 » 11 Feb 2015, 22:34

2 things:
1.) you might want to check the link again (I removed the old music tracks because I lost the project that had the sources)

2.) I'm using an obscure DAW, so it might be tricky to do a seamless loop
Socially banned since 2014, a somewhat sleepy musician
capricom45
 
Posts: 98
Joined: 10 Oct 2014, 14:05

Re: Music tracks that I composed

Postby capricom45 » 13 Mar 2015, 22:44

Bump (considering my last reply was a month ago)

I did a few tweaks: http://1drv.ms/1EtvJQk <- not a soundcloud link this time.

Is there anything wrong with the music tracks I just posted?
Socially banned since 2014, a somewhat sleepy musician
capricom45
 
Posts: 98
Joined: 10 Oct 2014, 14:05

Re: Music tracks that I composed

Postby Auria » 16 Mar 2015, 00:06

Hi,

well you do not seem to really understand the kind of music we are looking for. Your "happy tunes" songs, for instance are quite a bit too "electronic" for the STK main game, and lack a clear melody you could sing to. "Guitar chords" does not feel like a complete song, it's guitar only, without rythm (percussions, etc.) and again no clear melody. "George Ellinas" apparently is a remix ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbn8wiqHJok ) ? The original in this case is much better TBH, your version is so fast it's a little ridiculous
Image
User avatar
Auria
STK Moderator
 
Posts: 2754
Joined: 07 Dec 2009, 03:52

Re: Music tracks that I composed

Postby capricom45 » 16 Mar 2015, 12:57

Nope, Sorry.

Maybe for 1.0 I'll figure something out
Socially banned since 2014, a somewhat sleepy musician
capricom45
 
Posts: 98
Joined: 10 Oct 2014, 14:05

Re: Music tracks that I composed

Postby capricom45 » 18 Mar 2015, 22:23

Should the STK team need a 'dark' melody, I might be able to provide it
Socially banned since 2014, a somewhat sleepy musician
capricom45
 
Posts: 98
Joined: 10 Oct 2014, 14:05

Re: Music tracks that I composed

Postby samuncle » 19 Mar 2015, 02:58

why not but I recommend to learn the basis of music making. It seems you need more knowledge. This isn't something bad or hash it's just a fact. We all need to learn something before we can master it.

Your music seems not tuned. It looks like patches of different melody put together. I'm not a musician but melodies have to follow each other in a harmonious way.
Even "noise" like music (dubstep etc) have a melody and a structure.

Don't give up but don't expect to be a master in 2 hours. It takes time to achieve something great. Maybe other musicians on the forum could give you advices since i'm not a musician.

Sam
Image
User avatar
samuncle
STK Moderator
 
Posts: 698
Joined: 16 Mar 2010, 21:28

Re: Music tracks that I composed

Postby capricom45 » 29 Mar 2015, 22:41

Last time I got burned. This is probably my last attempt at producing music for STK.

the structure of the song is simple:
Drums are on C (Do if you use the solfege system)
Guitar alternates between A and G (Sol and La, respectivly) which you can hear. as for the random jumpstart at the guitar section? that's a mistake on my part

http://1drv.ms/1CngrJr is the song, no harmonics yet, becuase I don't want to make a mess of a song
Socially banned since 2014, a somewhat sleepy musician
capricom45
 
Posts: 98
Joined: 10 Oct 2014, 14:05

Re: Music tracks that I composed

Postby XGhost » 30 Mar 2015, 11:45

Hi capricom

First of all I'm very happy about your commitment! ;)
I'm not a professional musician but I'm playing the trumpet since about 12 years in many formations (symphonic, orchestral, jazz big band etc) and think that I can give you some advices.

I personally don't like the crunchy sound of your guitar, but maybe this is just my opinion. I also hear the same basic rhythms and the same two or three tones over and over again :| . I'm unable to recognise a specific music style.

0zone0ne wrote:The kind of music in SuperTuxKart is more based around memorable melodies and harmonic progressions, and must be designed from the very core to be played over and over, potentially thousands of times. The musical approach for SuperTuxKart that Krobonil and I have been going for recently is similar to the music in Mario Kart 8, which includes a variety of genres that have been mixed and matched to suit the game, predominantly featuring jazz and jazz-rock style music.


As 0zone0ne said, for STK fits funky and jazzy sounds best.
Little note:
STK is a fast and fun kart racing game. In this case I like funk very much. Funky music is always pushing forward: Never ever dragging! In your song you unfortunately drag a lot. There are many parts that aren't in time.
Jazz can be fast too, where swing is more "lay back".

I don't know how long you play the guitar or how good you really are as a musician, but I think when you compose or play music for STK you should be able to play something like this:
https://youtu.be/0QA22o2AYcU

I don't want to be mean or something but I also don't want to build up false hope. I like to see people working for STK and thank you for your hard work.

Along these lines, keep playing, make music and don't give up! :)
Cheers
User avatar
XGhost
 
Posts: 110
Joined: 02 Jan 2014, 15:49
Location: Siebnen (Switzerland)

Re: Music tracks that I composed - and an apology

Postby capricom45 » 22 May 2015, 17:32

First of all, I'd like to apologise to Auria and 0zon0ne for not listening to them, at all.
Sorry.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I composed a new music track and added a drum remix to it,
Original: http://1drv.ms/1L7HLim
Drum Remixed version: http://1drv.ms/1EnLmmz

Is there still an incompatibility with STK's music style?
capricom45
 
Posts: 98
Joined: 10 Oct 2014, 14:05

Re: Music tracks that I composed

Postby Auria » 23 May 2015, 01:01

Hi,

you are definitely making a lot of progress and going in the right direction :) Though I wonder if it is really a good idea to try making songs especially for STK? Maybe you should be making songs first and foremost for your own enjoyment? You clearly have a lot of dedication, but it seems like what you want to make is not soundtrack music - your latest songs are much, much better than the previous ones but don't really sound like racing game soundtracks

If you really want to make a song for STK, it should be targeted at being a song for a specific track, then find references of what it may sound like, make samples and post them for discussion, use instruments related to that specific track/environment. In the end a STK song should be tailored for a specific track (or category of tracks) and sound less like guitar-centric "garage band" recordings? (I'm not saying garage band in a negative way btw, I mostly mean it doesn't sound like soundtrack meant for any specific track. It's also much more guitar-centric than any of our other songs). For instance the zen garden track has a sountrack with asian sounds, and so on and so forth - for soundtrack it's very important to make it with something specific in mind

So at this point, it's clear you've made a lot of progress - maybe what you lack most is the comittement to try and make a song for a specific environment, and with more instruments than just guitar-base-drums (those are perfectly fine in a general context, but not quite for STK though)
Image
User avatar
Auria
STK Moderator
 
Posts: 2754
Joined: 07 Dec 2009, 03:52

Re: Music tracks that I composed

Postby capricom45 » 23 May 2015, 23:31

Auria wrote:Hi,

you are definitely making a lot of progress and going in the right direction :) Though I wonder if it is really a good idea to try making songs especially for STK? Maybe you should be making songs first and foremost for your own enjoyment? You clearly have a lot of dedication, but it seems like what you want to make is not soundtrack music - your latest songs are much, much better than the previous ones but don't really sound like racing game soundtracks

If you really want to make a song for STK, it should be targeted at being a song for a specific track, then find references of what it may sound like, make samples and post them for discussion, use instruments related to that specific track/environment. In the end a STK song should be tailored for a specific track (or category of tracks) and sound less like guitar-centric "garage band" recordings? (I'm not saying garage band in a negative way btw, I mostly mean it doesn't sound like soundtrack meant for any specific track. It's also much more guitar-centric than any of our other songs). For instance the zen garden track has a sountrack with asian sounds, and so on and so forth - for soundtrack it's very important to make it with something specific in mind

So at this point, it's clear you've made a lot of progress - maybe what you lack most is the comittement to try and make a song for a specific environment, and with more instruments than just guitar-bass-drums (those are perfectly fine in a general context, but not quite for STK though)

Thanks, I understand. Guitar-bass-drum tracks are easier for me to produce (mostly because the instruments are available), but I understand that they aren't 100% compatible with STK's style.
Socially banned since 2014, a somewhat sleepy musician
capricom45
 
Posts: 98
Joined: 10 Oct 2014, 14:05

Re: Music tracks that I composed

Postby capricom45 » 25 May 2015, 20:52

I am taking Auria's considerations, however, I'm going on a planned hiatus to get a proper instrument. (I'm going to be around)
Socially banned since 2014, a somewhat sleepy musician
capricom45
 
Posts: 98
Joined: 10 Oct 2014, 14:05

Re: Music tracks that I composed

Postby capricom45 » 05 Jun 2015, 23:54

Just because I'm on a hiatus, that doesn't mean that I'm not active.
Why? I did a small track on Thursday, and it sounds like this: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5a0T ... authuser=0

Feedback is welcome
Socially banned since 2014, a somewhat sleepy musician
capricom45
 
Posts: 98
Joined: 10 Oct 2014, 14:05

Re: Music tracks that I composed

Postby ArDanWol » 06 Jun 2015, 02:23

capricom45 wrote:Just because I'm on a hiatus, that doesn't mean that I'm not active.
Why? I did a small track on Thursday, and it sounds like this: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5a0T ... authuser=0

Feedback is welcome

Hey, this sounds nice! :D One suggestion I would make is that you shorten it up a little. You have a few parts in it that repeat over and over with very little or no variation. Maybe cut those sections down to about four to five repetitions (max!) before it moves along to something else. Other than that, I think it sounds great! I can't quite think what style of track this would go along with, but I'm sure the devs can figure that out! ;)
I'm know pretty much everywhere else on the internet as "Kpenguin"
"Profanity is one language all computer users know" - Murphy's 50th Law of Computers
Software bugs are impossible to detect by anybody except the end user - Murphy's 31st law of software
Each computer code has five bugs, regardless of how many bugs have been already found - Murphy's 50th law of software
"That's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature!"
User avatar
ArDanWol
 
Posts: 181
Joined: 07 Nov 2014, 17:36
Location: Ohio, USA

Re: Music tracks that I composed

Postby 0zone0ne » 06 Jun 2015, 03:30

I can't stress this enough: you need to choose a location in-game that you want to make music for before writing anything. For a game like this, which such varied environments, just writing music and hoping it will fit somewhere will almost never work. The music for each environment should describe that environment, by using specific instruments and perhaps pulling elements from musical genres or styles that the environment is often associated with.

I have a question for you: when writing this music, how far are you prepared to go out of your comfort zone in order to create something that fits? When I started writing the music for Cocoa Temple, the track designer and I decided on a style heavily inspired by the music of south American countries, such as Brazil. However, I had absolutely NO idea how to write this style of music. To get a feel for the kind of music that would fit the track, I had to listen to hours of music I honestly would otherwise never listen to. I had to research the instruments that where used, and how they were played, so I could use them in my music appropriately. I had to analyse the music and work out its defining traits, and the elements that made that style different to other styles. What I'm saying is, writing music for varied environments like this is not easy. You need to be able to research and analyse different styles of music to work out something that fits. More importantly, you need to be prepared to have a go at making music in styles you're never made before, or perhaps ever even listened to before.
User avatar
0zone0ne
 
Posts: 317
Joined: 26 Aug 2012, 02:34

Re: Music tracks that I composed

Postby capricom45 » 06 Jun 2015, 13:43

0zone0ne wrote:I can't stress this enough: you need to choose a location in-game that you want to make music for before writing anything. For a game like this, which such varied environments, just writing music and hoping it will fit somewhere will almost never work. The music for each environment should describe that environment, by using specific instruments and perhaps pulling elements from musical genres or styles that the environment is often associated with.

I have a question for you: when writing this music, how far are you prepared to go out of your comfort zone in order to create something that fits? When I started writing the music for Cocoa Temple, the track designer and I decided on a style heavily inspired by the music of south American countries, such as Brazil. However, I had absolutely NO idea how to write this style of music. To get a feel for the kind of music that would fit the track, I had to listen to hours of music I honestly would otherwise never listen to. I had to research the instruments that were used, and how they were played, so I could use them in my music appropriately. I had to analyse the music and work out its defining traits, and the elements that made that style different to other styles. What I'm saying is, writing music for varied environments like this is not easy. You need to be able to research and analyse different styles of music to work out something that fits. More importantly, you need to be prepared to have a go at making music in styles you're never made before, or perhaps ever even listened to before.


1.) Did I ask "Where does the track fit?" ?
No, I didn't. I asked "What do you think about this music track in general?"

2.) With the right instruments, I can hit almost any genre. Be it: Rock, Metal, R&B, dubstep, trap, whatever.

Also, I asked another musician somewhere else about the track, his response:
Sounds cool!! I think it develops a little slowly (especially since there's no real "melody" yet) but I like the groove.

@ardanwol thanks, I'm aware that it's repetitive.
Socially banned since 2014, a somewhat sleepy musician
capricom45
 
Posts: 98
Joined: 10 Oct 2014, 14:05

Re: Music tracks that I composed

Postby Krobonil » 06 Jun 2015, 17:39

1.) Did I ask "Where does the track fit?" ?
No, I didn't. I asked "What do you think about this music track in general?"

If you just wanna know how your music* is, then you're wrong here.
There are nice platforms like Soundcloud where you can publish your music and User can type filters to find their genres.

OzoneOne made a good description what can help you to make the music fits to STK and Auria also given a good feedback.
What exactly are you looking for except to find out how your track is in general?
2.) With the right instruments, I can hit almost any genre. Be it: Rock, Metal, R&B, dubstep, trap, whatever.

And with enough experience and skills it will fit to STK.

About Ozone's feedback:
I also make me an impression about the surroundings before I start to compose. A nice hint ;)
For example I listened to this one many times: (On which track was I working?)

https://youtu.be/IFhCs-Wgdak
Composer
User avatar
Krobonil
 
Posts: 66
Joined: 01 May 2010, 22:29
Location: Switzerland

Re: Music tracks that I composed

Postby capricom45 » 06 Jun 2015, 18:34

Krobonil wrote:
1.) Did I ask "Where does the track fit?" ?
No, I didn't. I asked "What do you think about this music track in general?"

If you just wanna know how your music* is, then you're wrong here.
There are nice platforms like Soundcloud where you can publish your music and User can type filters to find their genres.

OzoneOne made a good description what can help you to make the music fits to STK and Auria also given a good feedback.
What exactly are you looking for except to find out how your track is in general?
2.) With the right instruments, I can hit almost any genre. Be it: Rock, Metal, R&B, dubstep, trap, whatever.

And with enough experience and skills it will fit to STK.

About Ozone's feedback:
I also make me an impression about the surroundings before I start to compose. A nice hint ;)
For example I listened to this one many times: (On which track was I working?)

https://youtu.be/IFhCs-Wgdak


OK, that sums up it a bit easier for me to understand.

What exactly are you looking for except to find out how your track is in general?

How easy is it on the ears, and can it be looped easily?

as for
For example I listened to this one many times: (On which track was I working?)

https://youtu.be/IFhCs-Wgdak

I'm guessing the lighthouse track?

Does that melody sound like it can fit into the "Shiny Suburbs" track?
Socially banned since 2014, a somewhat sleepy musician
capricom45
 
Posts: 98
Joined: 10 Oct 2014, 14:05

Re: Music tracks that I composed

Postby 0zone0ne » 07 Jun 2015, 12:09

Ok, I'm sorry if I sounded a bit harsh before, or if I was difficult to understand... What I'm trying to say is, don't you think the location of the music in the game needs to be established before you start writing a piece? The way you write a song will often depend on the genre. Different genres means more than just different instruments... Bluegrass is written in a different way than death metal. :p

If you want, I can send you a few new music demos that Krobonil and I have to been working on recently. This might give you an idea of the variation of styles, but also how we have tried to keep consistencies over all the music. The problem is, I'm not sure how I can privately message you... I don't think the music ready to be made public yet.

PS: I think you might want to have another guess at Krobonil's last question there. ;) (Or I could be wrong, then I've made a right fool of myself, ha)
User avatar
0zone0ne
 
Posts: 317
Joined: 26 Aug 2012, 02:34

Re: Music tracks that I composed

Postby capricom45 » 07 Jun 2015, 13:02

0zone0ne wrote:Ok, I'm sorry if I sounded a bit harsh before, or if I was difficult to understand... What I'm trying to say is, don't you think the location of the music in the game needs to be established before you start writing a piece? The way you write a song will often depend on the genre. Different genres means more than just different instruments... Bluegrass is written in a different way than death metal. :p

If you want, I can send you a few new music demos that Krobonil and I have to been working on recently. This might give you an idea of the variation of styles, but also how we have tried to keep consistencies over all the music. The problem is, I'm not sure how I can privately message you... I don't think the music ready to be made public yet.

PS: I think you might want to have another guess at Krobonil's last question there. ;) (Or I could be wrong, then I've made a right fool of myself, ha)

You were somewhat harsh. I did plan, but couldn't execute it properly up until i found this beat: http://1drv.ms/1HTZpm8 (urban-ish/hip-hop)
That is true. Metal and Bluegrass are different.

You can contact me via email (58dc0263@opayq.com - Don't worry about the domain, it will arrive into my inbox - Not going to mention my real email)
or on IRC (I'm c44m)

Guess #2: "Landing In Gran Paradiso"?

Edit: Whoops: http://1drv.ms/1KifhUF how's that for a jazzy track?
Socially banned since 2014, a somewhat sleepy musician
capricom45
 
Posts: 98
Joined: 10 Oct 2014, 14:05

Re: Music tracks that I composed

Postby 0zone0ne » 08 Jun 2015, 11:19

@ capricom45
I tried emailing you, please tell me if it arrives and don't forget to check in spam. :)
User avatar
0zone0ne
 
Posts: 317
Joined: 26 Aug 2012, 02:34

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests