unnamed plasma gun

unnamed plasma gun

Postby Unnamed » 02 Nov 2013, 12:57

And I restarted again trying to make it look a bit like LuckyStrike-Rx's plasma concept.
Here's the result:
screenshot.0077.jpg
new design

download plasma model (updated)

--------------------------------

I started to make a weapon model some time ago. Now the mesh is allmost finished I think. The next thing I will have to do is UV mapping.
To save some time it's better not to change the mesh after UV mapping, so I ask now what should be changed. I think it could look better.
It has 900 verts now. I think it looks like a plasma gun, but maybe I am wrong.
weapon_01.jpg
The two right pictures show how it could look while shooting.

plasma01.zip
.blend file of the old model
(137.93 KiB) Downloaded 358 times

I continued with another design wich fits better to the style of RE imo:
screenshot.0045.jpg

download plasma model
Last edited by Unnamed on 27 Dec 2013, 10:43, edited 7 times in total.
Unnamed

Re: unnamed plasma gun

Postby Ulukai » 02 Nov 2013, 16:48

I like the handle and the back. The idea of the blob coming from inside the 3 flaps is nice as well, but it looks kinda "in your face", a little bit blunt. Maybe it could be refined a little better or maybe you give the right accents with textures on this mesh, I honestly have no experience in this field.

Anyway, great to see you pickup weapon models! I'm a fan of your work and I'm sure we all would love to see some finished models from your hand. :)
Ulukai

Postby TheLastProject » 02 Nov 2013, 17:30

Ulukai {l Wrote}:Anyway, great to see you pickup weapon models! I'm a fan of your work and I'm sure we all would love to see some finished models from your hand. :)

This, pretty much. Weapon models is something RE has been suffering on for quite a long time. Having some new models for the weapons could really help us a lot.
Hats, Afros, wings and raptor feet. This game is showing progress indeed.
TheLastProject

Postby freezurbern » 03 Nov 2013, 21:55

i'm by no means a modellor or artistic in this fashion, but i think it is a little fat (as in circumference). when i try comparing it to the RE player and how big it'd be to hold it seems like it could be either stretched outwards or shrunk in circumference.
just my opinion, can't wait to see the finished product!
Red Eclipse username: skiingpenguins
freezurbern

Postby qreeves » 04 Nov 2013, 02:31

Concept is interesting enough, keep in mind that you'll probably have to align them to the current player model animations (unless you're able to fix them too).
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby quintux_v » 04 Nov 2013, 06:19

Very nice, kind of reminds me of Lucky's lost work in progress from http://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=3853. It's good to see we have someone else working on this, I'd like to see it get completely finished however. Good luck!

Unnamed {l Wrote}:I think it looks like a plasma gun, but maybe I am wrong.

I think it looks just fine, maybe while charging the secondary the "wings" can expand :cool:
[eX] member
aliases: quintux_v | blakthunder
quintux_v

Postby BioHazardX » 04 Nov 2013, 10:40

That's awesome!
Please, don't drop your project. I hope to see this in the next versions.
SURVIVAL STRATEGY!
BioHazardX

Postby Unnamed » 04 Nov 2013, 17:13

Ulukai {l Wrote}:I like the handle and the back. The idea of the blob coming from inside the 3 flaps is nice as well, but it looks kinda "in your face", a little bit blunt.

I think I know what you mean, but I have no ideas how to change it.

freezurbern {l Wrote}:i'm by no means a modellor or artistic in this fashion, but i think it is a little fat (as in circumference). when i try comparing it to the RE player and how big it'd be to hold it seems like it could be either stretched outwards or shrunk in circumference.

I stretched it allready a bit. Maybe not enough. I hope it won't look too fat with textures.

qreeves {l Wrote}:Concept is interesting enough, keep in mind that you'll probably have to align them to the current player model animations (unless you're able to fix them too).

I'll do, but for the first person view I need definitely a new reload animation.

quintux_v {l Wrote}:I think it looks just fine, maybe while charging the secondary the "wings" can expand :cool:

I had the same idea.
Unnamed

Postby Julius » 04 Nov 2013, 19:58

Please post the model itself or at least a 1st person view similar how it would be seen in game.

The overall shape is not bad, but I agree that is might be a bit to "fat" and I am also a bit reserved as RE really isn't following the typical UT2004 style, but your model looks right out of such a game.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Unnamed » 04 Nov 2013, 20:29

I added the .blend file to the first post.
Julius {l Wrote}:The overall shape is not bad, but I agree that is might be a bit to "fat" and I am also a bit reserved as RE really isn't following the typical UT2004 style, but your model looks right out of such a game.

I even don't know how UT2004 looks like :)
Unnamed

Postby Unnamed » 06 Nov 2013, 16:24

This is another design.
It looks too small and I had no idea where to put the magazine.
Now I sliced the weapon in two parts and the magazine comes out of the weapon.
Maybe it fits better. It has 800 verts now.
weapon02.jpg
Unnamed

Postby Julius » 06 Nov 2013, 16:41

Had a quick look at the plasma.

Try to avoid very long and thin tris as those often lead to shading errors, also think about the poly (and detail) distribution more in regards to what is actually visible close up. There are examples of highly detailed pipes at the bottom, that are rarely ever visible close-up while the main visible part at the top of the mesh is made up of very few polygons.

Otherwise... I still think the designs look too "SF arena shooter" like, which IMHO are already plenty available and so far it was a welcome change that RE had a different style for the most part... try to make the designs slimmer and semi realistic.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Unnamed » 06 Nov 2013, 17:06

Julius {l Wrote}:Otherwise... I still think the designs look too "SF arena shooter" like, which IMHO are already plenty available and so far it was a welcome change that RE had a different style for the most part... try to make the designs slimmer and semi realistic.

Right, I think this is what I don't like at the design. Maybe I'll continue with the second design I made (and I could add two flaps there like at the first design).
Unnamed

Postby Julius » 06 Nov 2013, 21:02

I still think a modular weapon concept that allows many different looking weapons out of a set of parts would be a cool concept for RE.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby freezurbern » 09 Nov 2013, 00:54

Julius {l Wrote}:I still think a modular weapon concept that allows many different looking weapons out of a set of parts would be a cool concept for RE.

Pick up a scope = rifle
pick up an extended clip = smg
bigger barrel = shotgun
energy clip = plasma
Red Eclipse username: skiingpenguins
freezurbern

Postby Unnamed » 09 Nov 2013, 18:40

freezurbern {l Wrote}:Pick up a scope = rifle
pick up an extended clip = smg
bigger barrel = shotgun
energy clip = plasma

And every weapon has the same base model where the other parts will just be pinned on? All weapons would look simmilar. :|

I think I need to restart with the first model. I removed the front part now.
Now I exported the second model to md5 to see if it works.
screenshot.0016.jpg
no textures btw

The existing animations are working (except the reload animation ofc).
Well, the weapon looks a bit boring like it is now. Maybe it won't with textures and the reload animation I am thinking of.
Unnamed

Postby Ulukai » 09 Nov 2013, 19:30

Not bad, maybe a little bit flat, especially the upper part? I think it will look better when you add some holes / grates for airflow and a couple of buttons / switches on it.
Ulukai

Postby Unnamed » 09 Nov 2013, 21:32

That's a good idea. I will add these details with textures.
atm it's just a plain grey texture with the edges drawn on it.

edit: I made the animations now. Well, not the reload animation for the player model, only for the weapon. The hand moves to the wrong place now.
Still the texture are not finished, but I made a normals texture.
Last edited by Unnamed on 13 Nov 2013, 19:19, edited 1 time in total.
Unnamed

Postby Unnamed » 13 Nov 2013, 19:19

I made the textures now and uploaded it.
download plasma model
I still need a new reload animation for the player model. idk how to do this.
Unnamed

Postby BioHazardX » 14 Nov 2013, 12:13

Screenshots please, I don't know how to open a 3d file.
SURVIVAL STRATEGY!
BioHazardX

Postby Unnamed » 14 Nov 2013, 14:05

You don't need to open it. You can put the files to your red eclipse home directory.
But I'll add a screenshot to the first post.
Unnamed

Postby greaserpirate » 15 Nov 2013, 04:56

You did a nice job with the detailing, but the base texture looks a bit out of place. If you can, could you use something darker and with clearer borders?

The weapon looks great though, and the reload is really dynamic and cool-looking.

Friendship is Magic Voice Chat Mod
(Map) Trespass
(Map) Suspended
Find out more about >DOOM< here: www.redoomclan.tk
greaserpirate

Postby Ulukai » 15 Nov 2013, 14:15

I tried your model too, and while it has potential I think you're not quite there yet.

You have a cool reload idea, but the animation is only so-so right now. Hands don't touch the gun / clip, it should be more dynamic and bruter.
The texture looks flat / dull indeed and I think it can use more detailing. The small colored glowing part at the left side indicates its ammo but it's hardly noticeable right now. It would be more logic if that's more visible at the topside somewhere. I'm not sure if putting all the details in textures only is a good idea. Would it be a hard job to add some on the model itself?

Sorry for being so hard on you, I hope you know I hugely appreciate your work and I'm a fan of your projects. Hopefully this gets in a finished state once so that we have at least a new working model, you're sure doing a tremendous effort for us all trying so hard. :)
Ulukai

Postby Unnamed » 20 Nov 2013, 17:37

updated: added more details
Unnamed

Postby Evropi » 20 Nov 2013, 22:40

Since you're still refining the model, I thought I should post LuckyStrike-Rx's plasma concept. Feel free to take any ideas from this you wish... or none at all!
You just wasted 3 seconds of your life reading this.
Evropi