Guy Fawkes Masks

Guy Fawkes Masks

Postby cdxbow » 02 Aug 2013, 01:56

model.jpg

I don't have a real need for these but someone could try them in RE, these are models of the Guy Fawkes masks the hackivist group Anonymous use. The smallest is 242 verts and the higher poly one is 600 vert. There are obj of both sizes and an 242 vert md3 export. The licence is CC by SA 3.0
guy_fawkes_mask242.zip
(316.5 KiB) Downloaded 455 times

I missed this at the time, but Anonymous claim to have stopped a Mr Karl Rove from trying to steel the last US election. The design of the Anonymous videos is sort of scary, with a look that harks back to the band Devo.

youtu.be/98frqrKFnQ8
COMMENT REMOVED AND APOLOGIES
cdxbow

Re: Guy Fawkes Masks

Postby Ulukai » 02 Aug 2013, 07:45

Haha, this could make for a nice vanity object indeed :)
Ulukai

Postby Dratz-_C » 04 Aug 2013, 20:47

Cdxbow,
Yes, this less detailed mask should make a fine vanity. I thought it was funny that at 1:06 the messenger says the following. "We are watching and monitoring all of your servers." Could this be the new "all your base are belong to us"? [Edit: I deleted my reply to a removed comment because it did not add to the discussion.]
Cheers
Last edited by Dratz-_C on 10 Aug 2013, 03:34, edited 1 time in total.
Dratz-_C

Postby Lyberta » 06 Aug 2013, 11:58

I'm pretty sure incorporating this one into RE will result in cease and desist letter from Warner Bros.
Lyberta

Postby greaserpirate » 06 Aug 2013, 13:12

FaTony {l Wrote}:I'm pretty sure incorporating this one into RE will result in cease and desist letter from Warner Bros.

The news of the case would be spread throughout the Internet because of its implications for British people and/or Anonymous, after starting a Kickstarter for the lawsuit Quin would be so flooded with money from enraged internet activists he'd have to buy EA, and our servers would be overloaded with activity as our name becomes universally known... muahaha

And can they even do that? Guy Fawkes' Night marks a British national historical event, and masks were used long before V for Vendetta. But I know some companies push copyright law to ridiculous levels; I think Warner Bros is the company that has the rights to "Happy Birthday", which they make millions off of even though the tune is just 'good morning to you' with different words.

EDIT: Wow, intellectual property is messed up. But I still vote for including it, because Warner Bros isn't likely to go after us because we're just paying tribute and we're an Internet community with no money.

Friendship is Magic Voice Chat Mod
(Map) Trespass
(Map) Suspended
Find out more about >DOOM< here: www.redoomclan.tk
greaserpirate

Postby TristamK » 06 Aug 2013, 17:53

Warner Bros

I hate them...
why ?
Look on link -> http://www.mediafire.com/error.php?errn ... ios51b6q1s
Here MUST be my file. ZIP File with name ARGO. ZIP file with MY map argo. Why they delete them ? They delete it because theirs film http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argo_(2012_film) have name like my map. This is stupid :(
the question : Why don't they sue the Jason ? Because he create a ship with name like theirs film -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argo LOL
Sorry for my bad English. Sometimes i use google translator.
The official group of the Cube 2 Sauerbraten and Red Eclipse in vkontakte -> https://vk.com/cube_engine_news - VK support English too ;) . Also you can find all news about Cube 2\Red Eclipse in this group too
Topic with FULL information about Time-Trial . All maps , video , tutorials here . Also here you can see all best times on maps .
My youtube chanel
TristamK

Postby qreeves » 06 Aug 2013, 23:03

That is terrible Tristam. In cases like this I think we could claim fair use, especially considering the free nature of the project (sometimes it is better to ask for forgiveness rather than permission). If we include it and they send a cease and desist, we will just cease and desist.
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby cdxbow » 07 Aug 2013, 01:29

Let me get this right - Warner Bros made media fire drop a map by TristamK called Argo because of copyright reasons based on the name from greek mythology? That's F******.

We need Anonymous now. Immediate attack on Warners. Take no prisoners!

Added: I have emailed mediafire about this:

This was a game map called Argo for the FOSS game Red Eclipse. This is the error I got when I tried to load it, I think it gives the file number in the error. http://www.mediafire.com/error.php?errn ... ios51b6q1s

It was named after the character from Greek mythology. Now I don't know how Warner Bros can claim copyright infringements on a name that has been kicking around in the public domain for at least a few thousand years. Could you please explain?

I will let you know if they respond and will follow up with Warners as I will expect I will have to. These scumbags who patent everything they have no right to, are evil. Patenting genes is perhaps the worst example, and I am not referring to new 'manufactured or modded genes', rather those natural genes which have been shaping us for millions of years, I just don't understand how that can be allowed. Thankfully the courts seem to moving away from allowing patents on natural genes.
cdxbow

Postby Lyberta » 07 Aug 2013, 23:11

The solution is to stop playing/watching/listening to/reading proprietary works.

This particular design of Guy Fawkes mask is proprietary and we should stay away from it because it gives awareness to a proprietary work. Proprietary works should be deprived of exposure so they don't get recognition on a cultural level.
Lyberta

Postby TheLastProject » 08 Aug 2013, 11:18

FaTony {l Wrote}:The solution is to stop playing/watching/listening to/reading proprietary works.

This particular design of Guy Fawkes mask is proprietary and we should stay away from it because it gives awareness to a proprietary work. Proprietary works should be deprived of exposure so they don't get recognition on a cultural level.

Is there a non-proprietary design of it? From a Free Culture point of view, that would be quite interesting, especially seeing the cultural recognition the work already has.
Hats, Afros, wings and raptor feet. This game is showing progress indeed.
TheLastProject

Postby Lyberta » 08 Aug 2013, 12:23

TheLastProject {l Wrote}:Is there a non-proprietary design of it? From a Free Culture point of view, that would be quite interesting, especially seeing the cultural recognition the work already has.

Not that I'm aware of. The freedom is almost nonexistent in modern media.
Lyberta

Postby qreeves » 09 Aug 2013, 00:02

Just use a hockey mask? I'm pretty sure Jason Vorhees can't trademark that.
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby cdxbow » 09 Aug 2013, 00:15

I went looking to see if I could find an image of a 'traditional' guy fawkes mask and could find none. Articles referencing guy fawkes night all talk about masks, but none seem to have survived, photographed and put online. There is a good article tracing the rise of the mask as icon, see http://hilobrow.com/2012/04/30/mask/ The author feels the mask has only indirect relationship to guy fawkes. I found a paper guy fawkes mask from the 60's distributed with comics, but it is a very different beasty, and not really stylistically related.
wizzer-guy_fawkes.jpg

Some venetian mask are of similar design. And as Quin said, a generic hockey mask should have no trademark issues, and remains spooky, but perhaps adds a slasher element.
cdxbow

Postby cdxbow » 09 Aug 2013, 07:25

I tried a hockey mask(TM). First way was to try to chop down a high poly mask. It didn't work very well at all, the problem was the little holes. To keep them vaguely round the best I could do was get it too about 1500 polys. Next approach I took a very low poly ellipse, took the back off and punched a hole it, then I took just the eyes and the nose from the best previous efforts and plonked them in the hole. So far, under 400 polys, and it looks like this:
Image18.jpg

Probably can do a bit better with both look and poly count.

(TM) Copyright some miserable bastard
cdxbow

Postby qreeves » 09 Aug 2013, 12:41

Its SciFi, you could use triangles and call it "dramatic effect" :P
qreeves

Postby Dratz-_C » 09 Aug 2013, 21:55

Hi Folks,
Without wanting to take away from the hockey mask in production, and good job on that so far, I think some other of masks could work. You'll have to excuse the use of links rather than the images themselves because of my internet content filter disallowing forwarding to individual images. I apologize for it. An alien mask or a skull mask might be popular. An expression mask could also be good enough to use, even the one that covers only your eyes. Another possibility would be a ninja mask. I think a ballistic face mask could be competent, too. Otherwise it might serve as a good base for another mask.
Cheers
Dratz-_C

Postby quintux_v » 09 Aug 2013, 22:30

@cdxbow: Nice work on the Guy Fawkes mask, I hope that it may be included. The hockey mask could use some work, maybe just starting with a low-poly instead of decimating a high-poly could be better. Does misfit have a symmetry/mirror feature?

@dratz: let's not forget the gas mask, jester's mask and superhero mask.

EDIT: hey, look what I found. http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?204894-RESSOURCE-Guy-Fawkes-Mask-Free-Blender-Model
[eX] member
aliases: quintux_v | blakthunder
quintux_v

Postby Dratz-_C » 10 Aug 2013, 03:32

Quintux_V,
Yes, there are many more. I even looked at gas masks. I just picked what I thought would fit the best. For the Guy Fawkes subject, that work disallows commercial usage. Also, I believe we have found that it would be in violation of a Warner Brother Pictures copyright and that our insistence on using their stylized version of the mask could jeopardize the integrity of the "Red Eclipse" project. The history of the mask is a weighty subject and I think it is difficult to give a sinister character charm.

Cdxbow,
On the assertion that we will keep working on the mask, I think we should consider making it look more like the actual man who lived from 1570 to 1606 Imageand a measured blend of other terrorist people with beards such as Ted Kaczynski and Osama bin Laden. These people all had traditional wide beards. Warner Brothers Pictures copyright is of their stylized vertical narrow black line beard version. The unibomber had a short beard. Osama bin Laden had a long beard with a vertical white stripe, considerably wider than the the entire beard in Warner Brothers Pictures' Guy Fawkes Mask. Calling the vanity "Evil Mask" could further isolate us from any word searches for "Guy Fawkes Mask." So my vote is for a full, short beard with a wide, light, vertical stripe below the mouth. It would probably look like my mockup below.
evil_mask.png

Cheers
Dratz-_C

Postby Dratz-_C » 13 Aug 2013, 03:08

I hope I didn't just kill this topic. :?
Cheers
Dratz-_C

Postby cdxbow » 13 Aug 2013, 05:43

evil_mask.png: Dratz reveals he is a South Park Animator!

Thanks for the suggestions. I am looking for inspiration in old masks, but there does not seem to be any specific guy fawkes masks to either model on or try to deny the V for vendetta copyright by TimeWarner, so sadly I don't think it can be used. I think I might try a generic mask, and see how hard it is to make it into various others, as suggested earlier eg alien mask, skull mask, expression mask, ninja mask. Basically they have eyeholes, a mouth, sometimes nostrils, so perhaps one mesh could be nudged around, much of the flavour is from the texture in any case.

I'm interested in the masks because they can be quite disturbing, and I think they could make a good, scary visual element in a game. For MekArcade the AIs' may manifest as masked entities/gods, and both androids and mandroids could have masks as faces. What's a mandroid you ask? See the MekArcade Galactopedia entry: http://mekarcade.com/site/node/98 for an outline. Here is an image of a Mandroid Commander, including its parentage, you can see Zeta was a bit too liberal with the anal probe, thus the mandroid has inherited all of Wolfs animations.
zeta-mandroid1.jpg

Added: Forgot the scary clown mask, 150 verts, md3 and obj formats, a rough texture which sort of suits.
clown.jpg

clownmask01.zip
(32.19 KiB) Downloaded 314 times
cdxbow

Postby Dratz-_C » 13 Aug 2013, 21:11

cdxbow {l Wrote}:evil_mask.png: Dratz reveals he is a South Park Animator![...]

You want me to animate that thing? Forget it....
Cheers
Dratz-_C

Postby cdxbow » 14 Aug 2013, 01:16

I tried applying the mask to a robot, to make what you could call an anonobot, but it didn't look very good. Perhaps it needs the cape. The mask is on a rigged, working but headless model.
anonobot.jpg

This one, is getting a bit more of what I want. Not rigged yet.
android_mask.jpg
cdxbow

Postby greaserpirate » 14 Aug 2013, 03:37

Dayum, those droids look good. (Is that Sauron's Eye on the last one though?)

Also, I checked out the wiki, and HOLY CRAP that's a lot of lore. I wish RE had this much... I have some ideas but definitely not an entire history of the world up to the 35st millenium.

Friendship is Magic Voice Chat Mod
(Map) Trespass
(Map) Suspended
Find out more about >DOOM< here: www.redoomclan.tk
greaserpirate

Postby cdxbow » 14 Aug 2013, 06:28

I don't know if its saurons eye, but the name of the image I pinched it off was draco, I thought it had to do with UFO folklore, rather than gaming. Anyway in the spirit of all things alien, here's a mod of that droid mesh, rendered with 3 different skins.
display.jpg
cdxbow

Re: Modelling Alien Worlds

Postby cdxbow » 20 Aug 2013, 15:51

alien1.jpg

alien6.jpg
cdxbow