Your favourite tracks (old).

Your favourite tracks (old).

Postby CryHam » 26 Nov 2012, 21:24

Allright. I really want to know - what tracks do you like most.
Feel free to write why, or If you know write what do you like most on tracks.
Please also post how long you played the game, so I know eg. if it was 1 day or 3 months.
You can browse all tracks online here: http://stuntrally.github.com/tracks/index.html

For me it will be: Test1-Flat and TestC8-Align :lol:
Okay kidding, played first too much while developing.
Hah, this will be difficult, so I'll make a probably too long, grouped list:

From long, rally tracks: A3-Canyon, J13-Tropic/J17-JungleCanyons, F12-HighPeaks, V2-Volcanic, G2-Coast/G5-Climb
From stunt tracks: S14-Refinery, S12-Infinity (or simply the most difficult tracks)
From the short fast curly tracks: J3-Rocky, T3-Orange, C2-CanyonRun/C1-Hairpins, F7-blur3, I8-Pharaoh, D1-simple
Since I'm also a "mud and water fan": I10-Treasure, J18-Tiny, J16-MudMad, J11-Temple
From the weird tracks: X1-Magic, V1-Dark, F13-Castle, D12-Sandstorm, R1-Mars
My favourite scenery would be Autumn.

If I could pick just 1 now, it would be S7-HighMadness, IDK, it's just like from a fairytale.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Re: Your favourite tracks.

Postby Tapio » 27 Nov 2012, 10:57

Generally speaking the most awesome tracks for me are usually long-ish "adventure" tracks where the altitude differences are big (e.g. IIRC, Tropic has a stunning segment of road high in the mountains right after you've speeded through a narrow passage between water at a sea level). So most of your favourite "long rally tracks" are mine too. From shorter tracks I can't currently remember my favorites (and no SR at hand), but their advantage is less frustration if you screw up because restarting won't take you back too much. Those "weird tracks" you listed are actually pretty good candidates for my top list, though I haven't made my mind about Sandstorm yet. I'm not a huge fun of mud.

PS. I don not share your opinion that Infinity (or any pipe track really) is most difficult. For me they are mostly pressing forward, with some boost if enabled. (E.g. some shorter completely pipe track I literally drove 2 laps without steering at all.)
Tapio

Postby CryHam » 29 Nov 2012, 20:45

I didn't mean Infinity is most difficult, just that I like the most difficult stunt tracks.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby javafxdude » 14 Dec 2012, 13:53

I like that one best which come close to a real track. I dont like tracks being too long, rather something that can drive in up to 2min max for one round. Fantasy look and pipes are also not my cup of tea, but its cool that it can be created !
Wondering if could do a start-end kind of track, like RB Rally (oops I compared...), lets say like in a real point-to-point challenge.
javafxdude

Postby qubodup » 14 Dec 2012, 16:00

javafxdude {l Wrote}:Wondering if could do a start-end kind of track, like RB Rally (oops I compared...), lets say like in a real point-to-point challenge.

Maybe try another game? :)
http://trigger-rally.sourceforge.net/
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby CryHam » 14 Dec 2012, 16:33

Real life tracks are hard to create here. We have a square terrain (bigger means more area) and long point to point tracks don't need that, but 2 min tracks are ok to fit on it. Yeah. I still like RBR look even now, even with that simple vegetation it's still more of it because it's only near road. We'll see how SR will do when I implement only near road vegetation. Of course it will look bad away from road, or from top.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby javafxdude » 15 Dec 2012, 03:45

I like the idea, think you can make a nice point-to-point track even in a square map, of course in RB Rally it is not a free world where you can drive everywhere, you always get blocked somewhere in the bushes. But in SR you would just drive into the default green area (behind the near-track vegetation) or create a new spline type "fence" (either invisible or as concrete wood version) that can be 'drawn' somewhere parallel to the track if you like do so.

PS: I just digged out my RB Rally CD to get some 'inspiration' (still works in Win7 plus G25 FF wheel). Its from 2004, both distributor and developer went broke later ! Still can keep up with a lot of newer racing software. Definitely a milestone in racing software.
javafxdude

Postby CryHam » 15 Dec 2012, 09:25

Yes. I was thinking of making a mode to create those spline forest walls. Just a closed spline that makes an area that has either a texture of dense forest or makes in that area low quality trees (eg. 4 triangles, or just impostors).
RBR is my favourite game of all times. And I really like it being so difficult. Has a strange history, even when both got broken, the game still has active mods, new tracks and fans.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby wowie » 22 Jan 2013, 07:08

Infinity is fun and easy. I like it. Here's my performance after just a few hour's play:
wowie - Infinity XM.zip
(1.5 MiB) Downloaded 370 times

If I learn the editor, I might make a couple pipe tracks of my own.
I lost the game.
wowie

Postby CryHam » 23 Jan 2013, 20:54

Yup. Kudos to everyone driving Infinity clean (without any crash/boost/flip). It's not very difficult and it's fun.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby DromEd » 18 Apr 2013, 18:17

To answer the topic, my favorites tracks are the ones where I find the heightmaps the most beautifull/immaginative.
It can be strange to some people and I understand it, to mention track names, some like "Canyon" or "HighPeaks".
DromEd

My favourite: I9-Web

Postby Wuzzy » 30 May 2013, 21:09

Well, it seems I like every single track of the game except the asphalt tracks and test tracks and tracks copied from other games. OK, the test tracks aren’t meant to be played but I really hate the asphalt tracks and the tracks imported from other games. It just feels wrong to drive on these asphalt tracks. Probably it is because the physics on asphalt seem to be bad. It also seems as if the asphalt tracks are there just for testing purposes as well. No wonder in a game called StuntRally! ;-) The imported tracks just don’t seem to fit well into StuntRally at all. It is probably best for me to ignore these tracks.

But my single favourite track is I9-Web. Seriously, the preview image alone is awesome and it very fun to drive. It is not incredibly difficult to finish the track but I find it challenging to finish it without crashing once. :D I still haven’t achieved it yet, but I’ll probably work on it. I think it makes a lot of sense to drive the “360” here, although it is an island track, because you need to go full speed. :)
I like it because it is one of the tracks with long and wide streets and you can go full speed most of the time, thanks to the banked roads. And, boy, this track also looks amazing. :-)

Also, I9-Web is currently pretty unique. There is no other track like that, sadly. :( I wish there were more tracks like that.

I played Stunt Rally for a while. I didn’t play it often but I know the game for quite a long time (>1 year).
Wuzzy

Postby CryHam » 31 May 2013, 08:45

Wow. I wouldn't suspect so negative opinion about asphalt. Well it's there because it was possible, and not very much trouble.
Yeah, I did let my imagination go far, making I9-Web. It was 22km in 1.9, now it is 13km in 2.0. I scaled it down, it was rather boring and too long before.
CryHam
SR Moderator