Game Testing 2.3

Game Testing 2.3

Postby CryHam » 22 Mar 2014, 11:24

So, let's use a testing topic for each version.
We are getting close(r) to release (no idea maybe a month).
Testing master is very welcome (for anyone building from sources).
And if I forgot any bugs or things you wanted in next version, speak now or never :cool:
CryHam
SR Moderator

Re: Game Testing 2.3

Postby Wuzzy » 01 Apr 2014, 21:55

Test result: SEGMENTATION FAULT. xD
viewtopic.php?f=78&t=5409
Wuzzy

Postby Wuzzy » 02 Apr 2014, 19:42

Since the segfault has been fixed, I continued testing.

Here are more problems I bumped into (with numbers so you can refer to them more easily):
  1. If I open the pick window in the layers tab of the editor. I can open and close it with the tab key here. But if I go to a different tab, for example, grass while keeping the pick window open, the tab key does not close this window anymore. I have to go back to the layers tab again.
  2. The vegetation and objects tabs both show a preview model. If I switch from the vegetation model tab to the objects tab, the preview image of the vegetation model tab is also seen in the objects tab until I make a selection there. This also works in the other direction. If I select an object in the object tab and go to the vegetation model tab, the old preview image of the object is shown there, as well until I make a new selection.
  3. The terrain brush window behaves weirdly. Did you notice that horizontal scrollbar. It is very weird. You can drag it not left and right but up and down! The horizontal scrollbar also appears in the terrain generator tab. It’d probably best to remove the horizontal scrollbar completely.
  4. Neat that you added a little arrow on the track preview map. However, if you use the reverse button, the arrow seems to be slightly displaced.
  5. The road materials roadAdesert, roadAdesertDark and roadCdesert have a silly yellow/black striped texture, which looks awful. But only on terrain. On bridges, the proper texture gets used. Very strange. o_O
  6. When using the material graphics settings “Terrain: high” and “Triplanar: max 2”, this happens: http://i.imgur.com/M4spXyc.jpg

Some questions:
  1. In the editor I found a new static object called “sphere_inst”. I can place it but it is completely invisible. What does that do?
  2. In the screen2 settings, there is a “sleep interval”. I can set it to -1. What does that mean?
  3. I can set the master volume up to 1.6. Does a volume over 100% even make sense?
  4. I would like to test the current German strings with the current stage of Stunt Rally. What do I have to do?

And at last, a suggestion.
    e. I like the new pick window. Perhaps the entry for “nothing” or “not used” for the track material should be denoted as such—and not just an empty string.

Whew. Good that I tested. And that’s just what I found by testing about an hour. I need to test Stunt Rally more thoughly. I will report back then.
Wuzzy

Postby Calinou » 03 Apr 2014, 09:23

Wuzzy {l Wrote}:I can set the master volume up to 1.6. Does a volume over 100% even make sense?

When you set volume over 100%, generally, the low spectrums will be get increased, not the higher ones, to avoid saturation. VLC does this. So, it does work, but it makes the sound less accurate.
Calinou

Postby CryHam » 05 Apr 2014, 15:25

Wuzzy {l Wrote}:Whew. Good that I tested. And that’s just what I found by testing about an hour. I need to test Stunt Rally more thoughly. I will report back then.

Great that you did. And I like that you tested editor, since nearly nobody does, and it has changed.
Sorry for delay, I had an issue with some crap malware.
So:
1. Fixed. Tab should close anywhere in edit window now.
2. I know. I'll see what's easier, either loading on tab change, or making separate 3d preivews.
3. You mean the sub-tab with brushes images right. Yeah resizing doesn't size that area. I'll try to fix it.
4. Ugh. Probably would be better to just make a manual object not use Mygui. Sth is bad with center offset.
5. Fixed on master. The black-yellow stripe is the missing texture. Or name spelling or wrong case.
6. What the hell is going on here ? I see this 1st time. No idea. Can you test it some more in editor, is it on every layer, screen or texture based etc..

a. Fixed. Shouldn't be there.
b. -1 means it won't sleep. Sleep 0 does call sleep with 0 ms, while -1 doesn't at all.
c. Is just a multiplier, it will overdrive if every sound is loud. But if you e.g. make engine quieter and simply want to make rest louder, you can use just this 1 slider, not change all.
d. Already possible. (Wait until "Sync translations." appears on https://github.com/stuntrally/stuntrally/commits/ this is usually triggered by Tapio and few hours needed after launchpad has its period :oops: (does its cycle)).
e. Too much trouble. And it should never be empty, only on not used layers.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby dimproject » 06 Apr 2014, 11:20

Car info shows on English only.
Description text for UV with mistake.
To show.zip
(376.99 KiB) Downloaded 316 times
dimproject

Postby CryHam » 06 Apr 2014, 14:05

Right.
Can somebody test if terrain goes black after resolution change ?
If it does only on windows than it's not that bad.
But I got also black terrain on Lowest preset.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby Wuzzy » 06 Apr 2014, 16:52

CryHam {l Wrote}:Can somebody test if terrain goes black after resolution change ?
If it does only on windows than it's not that bad.
But I got also black terrain on Lowest preset.

Not for me, CryHam. Can you give me instructions how you reproduce this on your system?

CryHam {l Wrote}:e. Too much trouble. And it should never be empty, only on not used layers.

Okay. I can live with that. It is not so important, after all.

Okay, here are more test results:

1. Select a challenge in the challenge tab. Open the “track” tab. Now go back to the challenge tab and select a different challenge. Go back to the track tab. You will see the same tracks of the previous challenge until you click one of the buttons “>” and “<”.
  2. If you reset with F4, the Ext close camera may bounce, sometimes heavily. This is no problem if you have a countdown of 3. But with a very low countdown, this can be irritating.
  3. I was now finally able to finish the challenge Persian Fun in reverse mode. In reverse challenge mode mode the last track (D14-JumpCrazy) is simply driven in forwards direction as well. Okay, this may seem like a bug to some but I think it’s a valid solution, far better than not being able to win the challenge at all. Long story short: Problem solved!
  4. Editor: The “fine tuning” tab in the options has a scrollbar which is far larger than the area itself. Which means a part of the scrollbar is invisible all the time.
  5. The building “pers corral” has some strange wood stuff way below ground level. I do not think it really belongs to the building.
  6. Changing the speedometer type freezes the game for a moment. But only if you drag the bar, not just single-click it.
  7. If you click on an arrow on any slider, the slider instantly goes to the exteme end. This is not how sliders in many other GUI-based applications work.
  8. If you have at least 10 boost, the number in the GUI gets written over the boost symbol.
  9. There are a quite some non-translatable strings. I cover this in detail in a suggestion thread about cleaning up the GUI.
  10. If you load a custom track from current stable versions in the editor, the textures are expectedly messed up, because they use the old textures and the new version does not have them anymore. Is is possible to somehow automagically convert “old” tracks to the coming version?

About that strange graphics bug I posted in my previous post at number 6: This bug is so weird it deserves its own thread. I’ll open a new thread if I have more test results.
Wuzzy

Postby CryHam » 06 Apr 2014, 22:54

TODO (I'll try fixing those): 1, 2.
Low priority todo: 6, 7.
4. Hmm, where is this ? Which tab, slider etc.
5. No need to do this, is just few (not seen) triangles, won't matter.
8. 10 is probably too much for boost. IMO boost always is a better choice. Currently 6 is max.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby CryHam » 06 Apr 2014, 22:56

As for 10. Converting old track.
Well texture names changed completely, names are very different, there is many more textures now, and there aren't direct equivalents to old ones.
I.e. it's up to you to pick those which you like.
You can ofc use copy terrain layers from other track (but be careful, it will override terrain angles, height etc).
Other way is just checking out which textures that track uses and picking them in yours.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby CryHam » 06 Apr 2014, 23:13

Well terrain is just plain black if I change screen resolution, being already in game (driving) and always in editor, new game fixes it.
But IDK how to fix it yet (need to recreate blendmap texture ?) may be to slow, this happens due to the crap directx lost/reset device and releasing textures (how didn't it happen before, and why didn't it break shadows idk, maybe those weren't manual like now blendmap and terrain textures).
And by default game doesn't auto load track so people mostly will change screen res. in menu, before load and that works.
CryHam
SR Moderator

Postby Wuzzy » 07 Apr 2014, 18:07

CryHam {l Wrote}:4. Hmm, where is this ? Which tab, slider etc.

Oops, I was lost in translation. It is actually called “Tweak”. You find it in the options tab in the options menu in the editor. It is used to change huge amounts of material parameters.

CryHam {l Wrote}:5. No need to do this, is just few (not seen) triangles, won't matter.

Oh well. It is just a little irritating at most, so not really important.
Wuzzy

Postby dimproject » 10 Apr 2014, 00:14

What's wrong with models (gum_tree, tree.07, tree.09, rock.05)
in A1-StuntPark, rock.05 model in A2-PipeCoil?
To show.zip
(1.05 MiB) Downloaded 317 times
dimproject

Postby dimproject » 16 Apr 2014, 22:30

Car info shows something on English only.
To show.zip
(190.22 KiB) Downloaded 310 times
dimproject