Major screen tear like bug?

Major screen tear like bug?

Postby RushKing » 09 Dec 2013, 04:09

Hello, I am running manjaro linux with optimus/bumblebee and becuase I don't like the input lag vsync causes, I am using the vblank_mode=0 command to dissible it when I use primusrun. The tear like frames poping up look like the level background color and it dosen't happen in the other games I installed. It dosen't look like regular tearing.
RushKing

Re: Major screen tear like bug?

Postby qreeves » 09 Dec 2013, 05:20

You will need to provide further information on your setup, including the init portions of the Red Eclipse log.txt.

In general, you are supposed to only render as many frames as needed by the video card for each frame. If a frame updates in in the middle of it being flushed to the screen it will result in screen tearing. The industry accepted solution is to cap your frame rate at the refresh rate of your output, generally by using vsync. In cube engine games, you can also try /maxfps N where N is the number of frames per second to render (commonly 60).

In any case, it still requires the engine to pause before going to the next frame, no matter what you do. Input is buffered; the idea of input lag has never been proven and is likely just a rumour people like to spread because it makes them feel like all their effort actually has a point. That being said, we can't really provide system specific help when you intend on doing things contrary to the way the game was intended to be used. There isn't a team of support personnel waiting to debug this for me, I hope you understand.
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Re: Major screen tear like bug?

Postby RushKing » 09 Dec 2013, 08:25

qreeves {l Wrote}:You will need to provide further information on your setup, including the init portions of the Red Eclipse log.txt.

In general, you are supposed to only render as many frames as needed by the video card for each frame. If a frame updates in in the middle of it being flushed to the screen it will result in screen tearing. The industry accepted solution is to cap your frame rate at the refresh rate of your output, generally by using vsync. In cube engine games, you can also try /maxfps N where N is the number of frames per second to render (commonly 60).

In any case, it still requires the engine to pause before going to the next frame, no matter what you do. Input is buffered; the idea of input lag has never been proven and is likely just a rumour people like to spread because it makes them feel like all their effort actually has a point. That being said, we can't really provide system specific help when you intend on doing things contrary to the way the game was intended to be used. There isn't a team of support personnel waiting to debug this for me, I hope you understand.

I caped it at 120 and the issue is gone. Thanks for your help.

Here is my PC setup anyways:

Laptop: Lenovo Y580
Video Card: GTX 660m
Video Driver: video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-bumblebee 2013.04.29 (non-free)
Processor: i7-3610QM
OS: ManjaroLinux 0.8.8, Kernel: 3.12.2-1-MANJARO x86_64 (64 bit)
RushKing