Linux client unable to connect to Windows Red Eclipse server

Linux client unable to connect to Windows Red Eclipse server

Postby kd » 22 Nov 2013, 22:33

Hello,
I have a Red Eclipse server running on our LAN on a Windows XP computer. Ports are open on Windows Firewall. Other Windows XP computers on the LAN are able to find and connect to the server. We have one Linux laptop (Linux Mint 15) that is unable to find (and hence connect) to the LAN. (Servers on the WAN or internet are found and displayed just fine.) The firewall program installed/used on our Linux Mint laptop is Firestarter. Tried opening ports 28800, 28801, 28802 (incoming and leaving as outgoing permissive settings on the Linux Mint machine but still wasn't able to find the server on our LAN. The server (on our LAN) was only found it when the firewall was completely disabled. I noticed one time that the server was trying to access port 53116 on the Linux Mint laptop, so I opened that port. Then Red Eclipse found the server. However after restarting Red Eclipse server, the Linux Mint laptop no longer found the server on the Win XP machine.

I don't want to completely disable the firewall every time I or one of my kids want to play Red Eclipse on our LAN. Can you help please to explain what is going on and how to fix? Thanks!
kd

Re: Linux client unable to connect to Windows Red Eclipse se

Postby qreeves » 23 Nov 2013, 02:33

You need to open 28801 and 28802 UDP. The problem with questions like this is; we provide support for Red Eclipse, not routers and firewalls.
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby TheLastProject » 23 Nov 2013, 11:34

Having to completely disable your Linux Mint firewall for it to work, even if you forward the correct ports, does seem to indicate the problem lies with the firewall software, instead of with Red Eclipse. I have been able to connect just fine to a local Windows server from a Linux system, with Parabola, Gentoo and Debian all working without a problem. You would probably be better off searching for support for the Firewall software or see if alternative firewall software works without an issue.

Assuming the systems on your LAN are trustable, disabling the firewall is probably a very minimal security issue, as your router still won't route just any random connection to your system, especially not if there are multiple systems behind it because it wouldn't know which system it would have to send it to (which is why you always need to "port forward" to allow outside connections to a system), so only systems on your local network could "connect at any port" (which, in reality, turns into "any port which has software listening on it", which you are not likely to run a lot of).
Hats, Afros, wings and raptor feet. This game is showing progress indeed.
TheLastProject

Postby kd » 24 Nov 2013, 04:50

As mentioned, I did open the standard ports 28801 and 28802 including 28800 per the settings in servinit.cfg. No RE server on our LAN could be found on our Linux laptop but our other Windows laptop did find the server. On Linux Mint, the firewall program Firestarter has the ability to list IPs and blocked ports trying to be accessed on my Linux laptop. After stopping and running the RE server multiple times on our Windows laptop, Firestarter reported a different random blocked port in the 50000s. After opening that particular port on the Linux laptop and clicking "Update" (server list) in RE, then our RE server showed up. The seems there is an additional port being used to at least broadcast the server. Has anyone encountered this? Is there a setting in servinit.cfg I've overlooked? This does not appear to be a firewall issue but behaviour in Red Eclipse and a random ports it's using to broadcast itself and needed to connect a Windows-based RE server and a Linux-based RE client.

Again, thank you for your help. :)
kd

Postby qreeves » 24 Nov 2013, 08:06

It is definitely not an issue with Red Eclipse. You'll find that is a randomly assigned outgoing port that is opened in response to the connection by the operating system. Make sure you are also enabling UDP packets. That's about the extent of help we can give you with your firewall.
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves