PreTrac team vpalette ticket posted for vetting

PreTrac team vpalette ticket posted for vetting

Postby Dratz-_C » 16 Aug 2013, 21:41

In 5703 and at least back to 1.3, "vpalette 1 3" and "vpalette 1 4" produce multi team palettes that display in normal 2-team games.

How to reproduce:
1. Open an editing session on a new map
2. Create 4 separate cubes big enough to easily see
3. Turn on all-faces texture mode with the "0" key
4. Click a face on cube 1 and enter "vpalette 1 1"; put a player spawn on it for team 1
5. Click a face on cube 2 and enter "vpalette 1 2"; put a player spawn on it for team 2
6. Click a face on cube 3 and enter "vpalatte 1 3"; put a player spawn on it for team 3
7. Click a face on cube 4 and enter "vpalette 1 4"; put a player spawn on it for team 4
8. Save the map and open it in a 2-team match

Expected result:
Cubes 3 and 4 display grey-scaled "vpalette 1 0"

Actual result:
These cubes are yellow- and green-paletted

Cheers
Last edited by Dratz-_C on 17 Aug 2013, 18:16, edited 1 time in total.
Dratz-_C

Re: PreTrac team vpalette ticket posted for vetting

Postby qreeves » 17 Aug 2013, 01:50

Is that really the expected result? I can do that, but I'm not sure if we should.
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby Dratz-_C » 17 Aug 2013, 06:52

Quin,
Thanks for responding to my preliminary report. Your post makes me question myself. It is not necessarily that I believe you created optional team paletting this way by accident, just incompletely respecting whether the (later-established?) multi mutator is active. I cannot think of a scenario where a result other than what I have pushed should be expected. I have never seen a 2-team map configured for only teams Kappa and Sigma, with no Alpha nor Omega teams present. When maps allowing multi are played in the standard Alpha and Omega team mode my expected result prevents unnecessary, undesirable team-color distraction of players to inactive areas of the maps. On Ulukai's "Canals," for instance, when teams Kappa and Sigma are off, their weapons toggle to off yet, inconsistently, the texture palettes remain saturated with yellow and green. It seems to me that Ulukai saw no practical advantage in using vpalette over vcolor even though his was a competent multi map. These texture palettes cannot presently be configured to differentiate between multi and team. I think that this may have influenced John_III's decision to go with team enforced "vpalette 1 5-8" paletting on Keystone2K because it worked as expected. In my map "Quaternion" I have used optional team texture paletting, and triggers for models and particles so that they display differently in ffa, team, and multi. Big areas of my map still partly appear active in exclusively Alpha versus Omega team games because the "vpalette 1 3," and "vpalette 1 4" textures tell me they are inhabited when they are not.

When a team optional Alpha, "vpalette 1 1," team optional Omega, "vpalette 1 2," team optional Kappa, "vpalette 1 3," or team optional Sigma "vpalette 1 4" paletted area is seen in "free for all" mode, because no players are in teams, the palettes are changed to "vpalette 1 0" signifying that no teams exist. When a team optional Kappa, "vpalette 1 3," or team optional Sigma "vpalette 1 4" paletted area is seen in the default Alpha and Omega team mode, because no players are in the Kappa and Sigma teams, the palettes should be changed to "vpalette 1 0" signifying that no Kappa nor Sigma team exists.

I am not the best or clearest salesperson. When you have time, please consider communicating to me what is logically or practically wrong with my above reasoning. Perhaps you could delineate what it is that you are unsure about and why it might be more important than preventing distraction and dispersal among non-multi, team players in my type of multi map and many others that would begin to consider using optional team paletting due to it behaving consistently. As an aside, this ambiguity also happens with particles which can duplicated and linked to different triggers to fix it. Conversely, textures cannot be linked to triggers, meaning there is no workaround for team colors being displayed for multi teams that are not present. It's late and I have to go to sleep. Good night and maybe I will return tomorrow.
Cheers
Dratz-_C

Postby qreeves » 17 Aug 2013, 07:42

Your reasoning reasoning is sound, I believe if we want those colours to remain in two-team games I should create another set of palettes for the occasion. Please feel free to create the ticket :)
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby Dratz-_C » 17 Aug 2013, 19:05

Thank you for the ticket authorization. In the future, would you like me to forum-vet another preTrac ticket for particle multi- versus 2-team-paletting? Alternatively, I could add it as a Trac post under this ("vpalette 1 3-4" produce multi team palettes that display in normal 2-team games) ticket. Right now it is mentioned in an aside at the end of the detailed reasoning in thread post 3 and Trac Ticket #581. Should this particle team optional palette information be important, I would like to facilitate your finding it. As a map editor user, I think having texture vpalettes and particle palettes behaviorally agree is practical for memorization and efficient for workflow. It is just not imperative because of the trigger-linked, duplicate-particle workaround.
Cheers
Dratz-_C

Postby qreeves » 18 Aug 2013, 01:26

They both use the same palette selection code, so it is not necessary to add any further items related to palettes.
qreeves

Postby Dratz-_C » 18 Aug 2013, 05:19

That is wonderful. You have my sincere gratitude for working on said palette selection code.
Cheers
Dratz-_C

Postby Dratz-_C » 20 Aug 2013, 01:08

Quin,
Thanks for reading this again. Following the procedure at the top of the thread, SVN 5728 still does not, in 2-team matches, revert optional team Kappa and Sigma palettes to "1 0." Please refer to the attached image for what I am experiencing. It seems the same as before the fix.
5714_multi-vs-team-palette.jpg
Cheers
Dratz-_C

Postby qreeves » 20 Aug 2013, 01:16

Please reopen the ticket, I will fix it when I am at a computer again.
qreeves

Postby Dratz-_C » 20 Aug 2013, 02:58

I reopened the ticket. Thanks again for reviewing it.
Cheers
Dratz-_C

Postby Dratz-_C » 21 Aug 2013, 01:07

As a confirmation, the team optional multi-to-neutral conversion is now happening in 2-team deathmatch. You've done a wondrous job fixing this issue so quickly.
Cheers
Dratz-_C

Postby qreeves » 21 Aug 2013, 01:36

No problem, thanks for noticing the bug :P
qreeves

Postby Ulukai » 21 Aug 2013, 14:17

I hate to spoil the fun here, but I don't think everything is as it should be with your latest fix :p
Just start a local team game on a map like Bath or Venus and you will immediately notice what I mean: team colors are not applied in 2-team modes. Also in editing mode you can't see which color you painted the textures with vpalette. This makes it very difficult to see what you actually choose as a color in the editor.

Bath is the most obvious choice here to see what's going on.
Ulukai

Postby Dratz-_C » 21 Aug 2013, 15:24

Hi Ulukai,
While the fun started with team optional palettes, "1 0-4," indeed now team forced palettes, "1 5-9" no longer work. Fire this map up in multi jetpack and take a look using an earlier version of "Red Eclipse" and then the latest SVN. The center 4 cubes and particles are paletted "1 1-4." The outer cubes and particles are paletted 1 "6-9." I will put a rectangular prism in the center showing "1 0" and "1 5" later as well as write about palettes in edit mode.
5714_multi-vs-team-palette.zip
Cheers
Dratz-_C

Postby Ulukai » 21 Aug 2013, 16:28

Dratz-_C {l Wrote}:Hi Ulukai,
While the fun started with team optional palettes, "1 0-4," indeed now team forced palettes, "1 5-9" no longer work. Fire this map up in multi jetpack and take a look using an earlier version of "Red Eclipse" and then the latest SVN. The center 4 cubes and particles are paletted "1 1-4." The outer cubes and particles are paletted 1 "6-9." I will put a rectangular prism in the center showing "1 0" and "1 5" later as well as write about palettes in edit mode.
5714_multi-vs-team-palette.zip
Cheers

The maps where I know I only used "vpalette 1 0", "vpalette 1 1" and "vpalette 1 2" values do work fine in team games, but you can't see any team color or neutral forced color on the texture in editing mode. The texture then looks just like the stock texture.

Such examples are Ares and Enyo.
Ulukai

Postby qreeves » 22 Aug 2013, 00:05

Can you attach your test map? I'm having a lot of trouble even understanding the code on my new medication, so I think I need a reference.
qreeves

Postby Dratz-_C » 22 Aug 2013, 00:25

[Edit: Version B should help more with being certain all palettes and palindexes work for textures, particles and applicable mapmodels. The broken team enforced, "1 5" (why this is dark-scarlet instead of enforced team-neutral mid-gray I do not know) "1 6," "1 7," "1 8" and "1 9" palettes and their palindexes are in the upper-right zone of the screenshot; you can see the kappa mapmodel labeling "1 8" on the top border of the screenshot. When editing or playtesting, just look up more for the rest of them. The short particle lightning and flattened rough torus are for team enforced palette and palindex "1 5" which is again dark scarlet instead of mid-gray. The long particle lightning and tall rough tori display team enforced palette and palindexes "1 6," "1 7," "1 8" and "1 9." Still in the top zone of the screenshot, working my way down, the team spawn-optional, "1 0," "1 1," "1 2," "1 3" and "1 4" palette and palindexes are displayed in the rectangular prism with the short particle tape and the cubes with the long particle tapes, respectively.
It may start to get easier to make sense of the palettes as you cross the line into the bottom zone. The bottom cubes are in 3 rows numbered "0.," "I." and "II." and corresponding to the entire palindex ranges of palettes 0, 1 and 2. Row and palette 0 is the flicker pulse palette with palindex 0 being "off," 1 being low-luminance flicker, 2 being high-luminance flicker, 3 being disco-ball flicker, 4 being low-luminance pulse, 5 being high-luminance pulse, and 6 being disco-ball pulse. Row and palette 1 is team with palindex 0 being neutral, 1 being Alpha blue, 2 being Omega red, 3 being Kappa yellow, 4 being Sigma green, 5 being always-enforced dark scarlet which I think might better be mid-gray, 6 being always-enforced Alpha-blue, 7 being always-enforced Omega red, 8 being always-enforced Kappa yellow and 9 being always-enforced Sigma green. Row and palette 2 is weapons with palindex 0 being off dark-mid-gray, 1 being spawn-optional pistol light-gray, 2 optional being optional sword blue, 3 being optional shotgun yellow, 4 being optional S.M.G. orange, 5 being optional flamer red, 6 being optional plasma mid-aquamarine, 7 being optional rifle purple, 8 being optional grenade green and 9 being optional mine dark-aquamarine. Palindex 10 is always-enforced rocket dark-mid-red-orange. Palindexes 11-20 are always-enforced versions of palindexes 0-9. Palindex-corresponding cubes and particles 0-9 are plain and tapes, respectively. Palindex-corresponding cubes and particles 10-20 are perimeter spiked and lightnings respectively. "Neutral" or "off" particles are always short. The rest are long. Team mapmodels marking test shapes are small when they are team spawn-optional and large when they are always-enforced.
I have to get to sleep for my psyco-social rehabilitation program and Introductory Spanish class tomorrow. This map and instructions for using it are all I can readily do to help you today. I hope that it is practical. I am again grateful for your consistent work on these palindexes.
5714_multi-vs-team-palette-_b.zip
]
I had attached it in my last recent post.
Cheers
Dratz-_C

Postby qreeves » 23 Aug 2013, 02:39

That scarlet colour was team "enemy", I didn't realise I never added it to the palette set. This bug should finally be fixed in r5734.
qreeves

Postby Dratz-_C » 23 Aug 2013, 03:24

I think all of that work was well-worth the result and thank you. I'll evaluate the changeset when, as usual, I can make or get a working x86 binary. [Edit: In r5736, the palettes and palindexes now seem to work perfectly.]
Cheers
Dratz-_C

Postby Dratz-_C » 03 Sep 2013, 23:42

Please see this related post for information on a new palette anomaly concerning 4 weapon palindexes.
Cheers
Dratz-_C