RELEASE: 1.4 (Elara Edition)

Re: RELEASE: 1.4 (Elara Edition)

Postby bonifarz » 28 Mar 2013, 17:07

Snipe {l Wrote}:Speaking of weapons, I'm still unable to get the desired flak weapons to work for certain weapons. Is there a way to modify them or are they all now just use a fixed set weapon vars that can't be changed?
[...]
If there's some set of vars we're missing please let us know.

As you can see on the wiki, there are plenty of new flak variables, and some of the features we have known as flak are now labeled as frag (e.g. fragtime, fragweap, fragrays). To be honest, I have not fully understood the new system for flak and frag variables, but it seems that you can do many more things now than you could before. You may have noticed my first attempt to port old weapon mods, and i think part of that does not work yet. Also, I wonder if the convention for the collision vars have changed, the description has remained the very same, though.
Last edited by bonifarz on 28 Mar 2013, 17:13, edited 1 time in total.
bonifarz

Postby Snipe » 28 Mar 2013, 17:08

Ulukai {l Wrote}:
Snipe {l Wrote}:PEBKAC?

PEBKAC = Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair ( = the problem is YOU :p )

bonifarz {l Wrote}:To be honest, I have not fully understood the new system for flak and frag variables, but it seems that you can do many more things now than you could before. You may have noticed my first attempt to port old weapon mods, and i think part of that does not work yet. Also, I wonder if the convention for the collision vars have changed, the description has remained the very same, though.

clearly I'm not then only one, so enlighten US on just what do we need to know about the new frag vars :x ?
Snipe

Postby Ulukai » 28 Mar 2013, 17:34

Snipe {l Wrote}:clearly I'm not then only one, so enlighten US on just what do we need to know about the new frag vars :x ?

Take it easy, don't be offended. I'm not a variable ninja myself, I was just translating the message. I suggest you take a look at http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/r ... nds_Tables to see if it can help you.
Ulukai

Postby Xaran » 28 Mar 2013, 22:12

First of all.
Snipe {l Wrote}:I work with Xaran from time to time trying to come up with something for an improved campaign mode and one of those times I saw him make some kind of artillery strike out of the rocket, awesome :cool: !
SSSSSHHHHHHH! :x
secondly
Ulukai {l Wrote}:
Snipe {l Wrote}:clearly I'm not then only one, so enlighten US on just what do we need to know about the new frag vars :x ?

Take it easy, don't be offended. I'm not a variable ninja myself, I was just translating the message. I suggest you take a look at http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/r ... nds_Tables to see if it can help you.

I've tried those new variables. They register as known variables, but they don't do anything to change appearance or behaviour. eg. "rocketflakpartcol2" registers, but when I apply it "rocketflakpartcol2 0x8822DD" there's no change in flak color.
Xaran

Postby qreeves » 29 Mar 2013, 00:32

Snipe {l Wrote}:Speaking of weapons, I'm still unable to get the desired flak weapons to work for certain weapons. Is there a way to modify them or are they all now just use a fixed set weapon vars that can't be changed?
qreeves {l Wrote}:
Snipe {l Wrote}:I hate to be the first to post a complaint on this incredible release especially since its so soon afterwards, but the change in weapon vars is really screwed up. None of mods that ppl took time to make work right due to the changing of the names, which isn't the worst problem. The biggest problem I've noticed is that modded weapons can no longer be expressed in any of the flak (now frag) weapon vars and something that took away the plasma secondary's special gravity bomb effect

Sorta sounds like a PEBKAC to me, seeing as you can still do everything you used to be able to do, but much more. Maybe you should learn the new variables better.

PEBKAC?

And I've tried changing the fragweapons (1-21) nothing they're all fixed weapons. I work with Xaran from time to time trying to come up with something for an improved campaign mode and one of those times I saw him make some kind of artillery strike out of the rocket, awesome :cool: ! but I doesn't work anymore since the properties of the frag weapons changed.

If there's some set of vars we're missing please let us know.

Works for me; /grenadefragweap1 6 spews out $grenadefragrays1 plasma balls spread out by $grenadefragskew1 as intended.
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby qreeves » 29 Mar 2013, 00:39

Xaran {l Wrote}:First of all.
Snipe {l Wrote}:I work with Xaran from time to time trying to come up with something for an improved campaign mode and one of those times I saw him make some kind of artillery strike out of the rocket, awesome :cool: !
SSSSSHHHHHHH! :x
secondly
Ulukai {l Wrote}:

I've tried those new variables. They register as known variables, but they don't do anything to change appearance or behaviour. eg. "rocketflakpartcol2" registers, but when I apply it "rocketflakpartcol2 0x8822DD" there's no change in flak color.

Because you're changing the colour of rockets as flak, not the flak that rockets create. This is why they were renamed, if you had listened; frag events are triggered as a weapon explodes, and creates projectiles of fragweap type, flak controls the individual fragweap projectiles. To be honest, it is hard to give you a good answer with an example when you are providing so little information on what you are trying to do, due to a desire for secrecy. I will lay it out one final time:

• Fire a rocket primary; on impact, it explodes with default settings.
  • rocketfragweap1 is set SMG primary, so rocketfragrays1 number of those are made.
  • The projectiles then flying around are of colour smgflakpartcol1 each doing smgflakdamage1 damage.
  • One impact, the flak does it's damage/explodes. As flak may not create more flak the process ends here.
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby bonifarz » 29 Mar 2013, 07:05

qreeves {l Wrote}:
  • Fire a rocket primary; on impact, it explodes with default settings.
  • rocketfragweap1 is set SMG primary, so rocketfragrays1 number of those are made.
  • The projectiles then flying around are of colour smgflakpartcol1 each doing smgflakdamage1 damage.
  • One impact, the flak does it's damage/explodes. As flak may not create more flak the process ends here.

Thanks for your patience, Quin, this answer is clear and unambiguous. So to reproduce the behavior of old weapon mods, the base and flak variables should be modified consistently.

EDIT: Just tried it, works all as expected, thanks.
Bonifarz {l Wrote}:Also, I wonder if the convention for the collision vars have changed, the description has remained the very same, though.
Ah, the answer is obvious, if only lazy me had taken a look at the new weapon vars gui.
coll.jpg
coll 1.3 (left) and 1.4 (right), the ordering of the check boxes corresponds nicely to that of the logical bits.
coll.jpg (23.53 KiB) Viewed 35445 times

Tiny little bug (typo): The flakdamage field attempts to set fragdamage. Oh, I see this was already part of ticket 474
bonifarz

Postby Snipe » 30 Mar 2013, 02:32

Now that the whole flak and drag issue is settled, what about the plasma secondary? The change made to the hitpush variable makes it impossible to get the pulling effect the plasma secondary's supposed to have. Negative hitpush behaves like the 'stun' variable and the 'slow' variable (which was removed). Major hindrance to weapon potential.

Known weapons affected by this change are:
Plasma secondary
(download Xaran's mod menu to see the following weapons)
Duality bomb secondary
YinYang rocket secondary
Grappling beam primary
G79-C12 plasma secondary
Tech-IX grenade secondary
Snipe

Postby qreeves » 30 Mar 2013, 04:26

Snipe {l Wrote}:Now that the whole flak and drag issue is settled, what about the plasma secondary? The change made to the hitpush variable makes it impossible to get the pulling effect the plasma secondary's supposed to have. Negative hitpush behaves like the 'stun' variable and the 'slow' variable (which was removed). Major hindrance to weapon potential.

Known weapons affected by this change are:
Plasma secondary
(download Xaran's mod menu to see the following weapons)
Duality bomb secondary
YinYang rocket secondary
Grappling beam primary
G79-C12 plasma secondary
Tech-IX grenade secondary

Reverse hit push is a bug already fixed in SVN, and stun is now; stunfall stunscale & stuntime. Kthx.
qreeves

Postby 4rson » 31 Mar 2013, 08:55

Ulukai {l Wrote}:

I always knew this as a "PICNIC"

Problem in chair, not in computer.
4rson

Postby Ulukai » 01 Apr 2013, 21:16

4rson {l Wrote}:
Ulukai {l Wrote}:

I always knew this as a "PICNIC"

Problem in chair, not in computer.

Haha I like that one as well!
Ulukai

Postby inpersona64 » 01 May 2013, 14:07

Hey everyone, I know its been a long time since I last posted something in this forum. Believe it for not, I had taken a long break from Red Eclipse, mostly to discover other games. I played here and there, just offline, so needless to say I am pretty late discovering the new version of RE (last week I looked it up).

I like everything about it for the most part. I think "Battlefield" is probably my new favorite map, mostly because it's small and I had a really good game on it with some players while playing "Survivor - Deathmatch". I think the orientation of the sword kind of makes me play better with it (perhaps it's a placebo effect). And being able to see my legs...really awesome in my opinion, but this is coming from a guy who likes Crysis. Actually just recently finished Crysis Warhead...

I should have some Red Eclipse content showing up on my page more this month, but I just wanted to tell you guys what a good job was done on this version of the game. I haven't really discussed everything I liked about the new update but those are the top main things I like.

Oh, and the mines are pretty cool. I feel that if you've played any game that uses claymores (COD for example) that mines shouldn't be that hard to understand and utilize. The animation when they're flying through the air is kind of funny though (as if you were flipping them like a coin or something).

A remake of Bloodgrounds (from BloodFrontier) would be awesome too. Just a thought. ;)
inpersona64

Postby greaserpirate » 01 May 2013, 16:34

I'm glad you're back, and glad you liked the additions :) .

inpersona64 {l Wrote}:A remake of Bloodgrounds (from BloodFrontier) would be awesome too. Just a thought. ;)

Me and Ballistic worked on a Campgrounds remake a while ago. (It's much less cramped and you can't camp on the pillars). If people want it, I can make it my main priority.

Friendship is Magic Voice Chat Mod
(Map) Trespass
(Map) Suspended
Find out more about >DOOM< here: www.redoomclan.tk
greaserpirate

Postby Ulukai » 01 May 2013, 18:28

Welcome back Inpersona64 ! The new version is awesome indeed, and it's even better when you know in how little time everything is put together. Enjoy the game and see you online!

Greaserpirate, I think another remake from BF would be cool indeed. If you find the time to finish it that would be great.
Ulukai

Postby ballist1c » 01 May 2013, 20:19

greaserpirate {l Wrote}:I'm glad you're back, and glad you liked the additions :) .

inpersona64 {l Wrote}:A remake of Bloodgrounds (from BloodFrontier) would be awesome too. Just a thought. ;)

Me and Ballistic worked on a Campgrounds remake a while ago. (It's much less cramped and you can't camp on the pillars). If people want it, I can make it my main priority.

+1, we can easily get back together and finish it if people want it.
Image Joseph "ballist1c" Calabria

Bloodlust // Abuse // Insidious // Longest Yard 2000
ballist1c

Postby Jamestonjes » 06 May 2013, 15:49

What about (if possible) making the sword feel a bit like Star wars Jedi knight 2s light saber and also including a block ability to it(for other swords) and deflect (for guns) that requires perfect timing otherwise it won't work but when it does the sword barer gets the points
In game name: MaxPayne >DOOM<
maps: Nameless,Pillars of Doom(incomplete)
Jamestonjes

Postby Danfun64 » 18 Nov 2013, 14:47

Quick question. Is there a way to turn the new death by lava message off? I don't like it, and it doesn't fit right with the red eclipse for kids mod. (The message being '"falls into lust" or something like that.)
Danfun64

Postby TheLastProject » 18 Nov 2013, 15:43

Danfun64 {l Wrote}:Quick question. Is there a way to turn the new death by lava message off? I don't like it, and it doesn't fit right with the red eclipse for kids mod. (The message being '"falls into lust" or something like that.)

That death message is only used on the map "bloodlust", being some pun on the name.

I'm not sure how you're distributing your mod, but the easiest would probably be to edit line 101 in the file "bloodlust.cfg" in game/fps/maps/ to your liking.

As an example, to reset it to the default death message, change:
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
// obitlava "was consumed by lust"

to
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
obitlava ""

If you want something else than the default message, just set it. Also, don't forget to uncomment the line, or the map's default values will be used.
Hats, Afros, wings and raptor feet. This game is showing progress indeed.
TheLastProject

Postby unixfreak » 18 Nov 2013, 15:53

Danfun64 {l Wrote}:Quick question. Is there a way to turn the new death by lava message off? I don't like it, and it doesn't fit right with the red eclipse for kids mod. (The message being '"falls into lust" or something like that.)

You can change the obituary message by using "obitlava <message>" if creating a new map. It doesn't let you change it during a game though, each map sets their own persistent message.

You can disable all messages to make sure it doesn't show up:
options >> user interface >> console >> obituaries >> off

Although (my opinion) i wouldn't think that word would be bad for kids, it isn't being used in a sexual context.
unixfreak

Postby Danfun64 » 18 Nov 2013, 17:03

I didn't really understand the context, i thought that message appeared in all cases of lava death.

Thanks for explaining!
Danfun64

Postby BioHazardX » 06 Dec 2013, 21:02

Nine months have already passed from 1.4 version, and we're waiting for 1.5. I know that will be released when it is ready, but is there a chance before Christmas as a gift, or nothing, for the next year?
SURVIVAL STRATEGY!
BioHazardX

Postby TheLastProject » 06 Dec 2013, 21:20

BioHazardX {l Wrote}:Nine months have already passed from 1.4 version, and we're waiting for 1.5. I know that will be released when it is ready, but is there a chance before Christmas as a gift, or nothing, for the next year?

I haven't heard any hints drop regarding a release yet, so I wouldn't get your hopes up. However, the SVN client which will be the 1.5 client is still compatible with 1.4, so you can download it and play with it on 1.4 servers, if you want to give yourself a Christmas gift, assuming you can figure it out. The wiki page is here: http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/redeclipse/index.php?title=Obtain_development_version.
Hats, Afros, wings and raptor feet. This game is showing progress indeed.
TheLastProject

Postby BioHazardX » 08 Dec 2013, 16:43

Ok, thanks, I'll try TortoiseSVN to build RE 1.5-dev on my PC.
SURVIVAL STRATEGY!
BioHazardX