[FEATURE LIST] Registration system and other useful features

[FEATURE LIST] Registration system and other useful features

Postby TheAssassin » 09 Feb 2013, 00:26

Hey all developers out there!

I mentioned it already in the IRC, but writing it down will help to speed up the whole process. Since there was no suitable thread I'm on creating a new one now.

The Red Eclipse server is missing some important features to be improved. I'll name the most important ones here:

Registration system
  • Central registration, used to be verified on all servers.
  • API to integrate the system in custom modifications of the servers (means a how-to request verification on the master server)#
  • A secure request protocol using hash functions maybe
  • A registration page on redeclipse.net
  • Maybe something like who is able to send unlimited requests (verified server, won't go bruteforcing passwds), and non-verified requests (limited to 10 per minute e.g.)
  • to be continued...

Scripting
  • An implementation of a scripting language like (preferred ;) ) Python for modifying the servers.
  • An API to interact with the master server handling requests
  • A function to remote control the server (could be done by me, if there's an API with documentation)

Maybe these features could be useful, too:
  • global cheater database (not to ban names/IPs, just to inform the server owners who should be looked at a bit more detailed)
  • to be continued

If you want to contact me, you can do this in the IRC (I'll connect my BNC to it soon).
TheAssassin

Re: [FEATURE LIST] Registration system and other useful feat

Postby TheLastProject » 09 Feb 2013, 13:33

TheAssassin {l Wrote}:[*] Central registration, used to be verified on all servers.

Just wanted to say that this feature already exists. If you've ever seen a moderator or administrator join the server (something along the lines of "TheLastProject authenticated as thelastproject (administrator)"), this is the central registration system we have, which works on any server connected to the master server. However, there is no way to register yourself yet, as you have stated.

TheAssassin {l Wrote}:[*] global cheater database (not to ban names/IPs, just to inform the server owners who should be looked at a bit more detailed)

We have a "Troublemakers" topic on the forum, but I honestly wonder what use a database like this would have. As you might expect, cheaters get dealt with. Just labelling them cheaters and letting them roam free doesn't seem like something which is really beneficial to the community. That is, unless you mean a "this guy might be a cheater, but we're not sure" system, which I'm not really a fan of either. Labelling players as possible cheaters can be quite damaging to their reputation, so that is a kind of system I surely wouldn't want to support. Either we find out they really are cheating, in which case they will be dealt with, or they are treated like just any normal player.
Hats, Afros, wings and raptor feet. This game is showing progress indeed.
TheLastProject

Postby TheAssassin » 09 Feb 2013, 15:28

TheLastProject {l Wrote}:Just wanted to say that this feature already exists.

I know the Auth key system. The new Sauer release brought improvements in this system, although I still don't understand it completely.
This just has to be extended, and I know there will be a "Player" role in it. It's just there to keep in mind this will be feature of it.

TheLastProject {l Wrote}:We have a "Troublemakers" topic on the forum, but I honestly wonder what use a database like this would have.

If I've learned one thing from Sauer it is that any forum posts won't bring a solution for this. You can watch the worst try on Achille's #cube2 blog (I know it's just 4 fun but most new players take it too serious).
The NoobLoungers are pioneers in cheat prevention. I haven't seen such a big anti-cheat system like theirs. For example they've got automatic map hack recognition (they've recorded all available positions manually). But the best system is their cheater database. The project "Cheater Hunters" collects information about who cheated, when, how, what name, where from, ... This might help cheat prevention, since it does not kick, but remind admins/moderators "Hey, that guy could have cheated once!"
TheAssassin

Postby ballist1c » 09 Feb 2013, 19:23

Something like this should be named Feature Request or Wishlist; Feature List (IMO) implies that the features are already implemented ingame, and is misleading.

TheAssassin {l Wrote}:Registration system
    blablablablablablablaaa

TLP already mentioned the "auth" system that global mods like him and I use. We have discussed this before, and agreed on a user/clan "handle" system. It is entirely up to quin to implement this though ( as it often is). Once this is done I have agreed to write a database playerstat system for RE.

TheAssassin {l Wrote}:Scripting
  • An implementation of a scripting language like (preferred ;) ) Python for modifying the servers.
  • An API to interact with the master server handling requests
  • A function to remote control the server (could be done by me, if there's an API with documentation)

There is nothing wrong with CubeScript; if you want to adapt, go ahead. See REDocs for all our documentation.

TheAssassin {l Wrote}:Maybe these features could be useful, too:
  • global cheater database (not to ban names/IPs, just to inform the server owners who should be looked at a bit more detailed)
  • to be continued

I agree that we need a PunkBuster equivalent for Cube-based games, would be infinitely helpful.
Image Joseph "ballist1c" Calabria

Bloodlust // Abuse // Insidious // Longest Yard 2000
ballist1c