PROJECT: Operation Spitshine

Re: PROJECT: Operation Spitshine

Postby John_III » 14 Feb 2013, 04:51

I actually constructed an arrow-through-head hat for TF2 a while ago, but I lost the model file on one of my hard drives. I can work on creating something like that for RE.
John_III

Postby S.E.S » 14 Feb 2013, 11:30

greaserpirate {l Wrote}:That looks pretty cool. Can you send me the file so we can merge the versions? (Assuming you worked on the old version)

Ok.

Download:
forgem.zip
(3.23 MiB) Downloaded 261 times

Replaced some of the "window" textures. Remaked slightly geometry on them.

I also used the textures from:
download/file.php?id=4441
S.E.S

Postby quintux_v » 15 Feb 2013, 02:36

greaserpirate {l Wrote}:Also, guess what I just found on Facebook:

Luckystrike-RX, you are a genius. :)

Agreed, although the monocle looks a bit weird, it might just be the lighting.

qreeves {l Wrote}:Yes, vanity items are now available in SVN. Please feel free to ask your most favourite modeller in the whole wide world to make your item for you to include in the game. Until the feature matures, I won't discriminate against submissions unless they are vulgar or whatnot. We already have a "monocle", a "top hat", and a pair of "horns". Some suggestions so far: moustache, beard, costume arrow through the head, brain sucking parasite/alien, cupid wings. I personally would like to have: king's crown, queen's crown, hair. Possibly also: shoes/heels, handbags, armour plates. Really, anything is possible.

Like I said earlier, I'd love to see some kind of "noble cape" or something, that would fit in with both the king's crown and even armor plates.

In a bump sort of way, again I ask:
quintux_v {l Wrote}:npcs: in reference to the crates/shields/barriers, what do you mean? Just decorative models or things that would be used?
rewards: do you mean like trophies, or medals of honor (accessories) or something?
[eX] member
aliases: quintux_v | blakthunder
quintux_v

Postby qreeves » 15 Feb 2013, 05:53

I will have to get back to you on that, most of them were just "throw them in there just in case people get stuff done".
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby Ulukai » 16 Feb 2013, 02:10

Venus: https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/redeclipse/ticket/379

This was a hard one because I actually always liked Venus as one of the best maps in RE. In the end I'm very pleased with the result. I think I gave it a little moderner look and tried to add some color to the map. Not only team colors (only in team games, otherwise neutral), but also lighting, water, fog, skybox etc have been altered to improve the atmosphere. Other significant changes are textures, but the environment textures are kept.

EDIT 18/02: Third version with more fixes, see ticket 379 for information. http://www.mediafire.com/?7z7gfm7mfm6h2e2

screenshot.0002.png

screenshot.0003.png

screenshot.png

screenshot.0001.png

Screenshots are outdated, rock textures have been changed since the 2nd update.
Ulukai

Postby Evropi » 22 Feb 2013, 17:02

Well, I thought I might as well chip in with my list of inadequacies in maps.
  • The map futuresport is one of my favourite maps. It could definitely do with some work on the walls on the edges and the sand texture on the ground (which is the same throughout the level, yet doesn't fit as the map is quite small and boxed in).
  • The map colony needs a great overhaul. The base with the glass and stuff looks decent, but the other, along with the rest of the map, is quite boring. Also, I've never liked its skybox. The textures of the bridge inbetween and so on are just a bit too 'roughened up'. I think it's better if less parts look rusty, so you get the full effect of the map's intended atmosphere. The same could be said for some other maps actually, like industrial
  • I've always thought tribal looked extremely outdated. It is one of the greatest coop maps, too. It is a very big map and this would need a lot of work... so maybe for the next version.
  • One tiny fix, I think the edges of the big tubes (which you can't fall into) on isolation.
  • The, uhh, frozen marsh... or whatever it is on mist just looks too weird (with reflections on anyway). It looks like patches of grass on sand from far away. And up close, it still looks weird. Change it maybe?
  • The ground texture on nova is extremely similar to the one seen on the walls. Could be changed. Maybe. But I can't think of a better texture to go there.
  • This is probably an engine thing, but could the water-splashing-on-the-ground effect be de-emphasised a little on wet? It's just a bit too strong right now, and it's on just about every tile on the walkways. This is, of course, one of the very finest-looking maps.
  • The map foundation is one of the best looking maps. No question about it. My only wish is that it had less boxes! They seriously impede freedom of movement you guys. :x

Debate, discuss, etcetera. I'm really bad at mapping, but I suppose I could try my hand at it if no-one else is going to step up. I'm familiar with Subversion and I could put these on the tracker, but I think it's better that my views are discussed here first, where players are more likely to see them. So what do you (yes, you!) think of my comments on these maps?

Note: I don't think any of these maps have been recently updated. The 'errata' here is for the maps as of version 1.31 Galactic.
You just wasted 3 seconds of your life reading this.
Evropi

Postby Ulukai » 25 Feb 2013, 17:22

Evropi {l Wrote}:Well, I thought I might as well chip in with my list of inadequacies in maps.
  • The map futuresport is one of my favourite maps. It could definitely do with some work on the walls on the edges and the sand texture on the ground (which is the same throughout the level, yet doesn't fit as the map is quite small and boxed in).
  • The map colony needs a great overhaul. The base with the glass and stuff looks decent, but the other, along with the rest of the map, is quite boring. Also, I've never liked its skybox. The textures of the bridge inbetween and so on are just a bit too 'roughened up'. I think it's better if less parts look rusty, so you get the full effect of the map's intended atmosphere. The same could be said for some other maps actually, like industrial
  • I've always thought tribal looked extremely outdated. It is one of the greatest coop maps, too. It is a very big map and this would need a lot of work... so maybe for the next version.
  • One tiny fix, I think the edges of the big tubes (which you can't fall into) on isolation.
  • The, uhh, frozen marsh... or whatever it is on mist just looks too weird (with reflections on anyway). It looks like patches of grass on sand from far away. And up close, it still looks weird. Change it maybe?
  • The ground texture on nova is extremely similar to the one seen on the walls. Could be changed. Maybe. But I can't think of a better texture to go there.
  • This is probably an engine thing, but could the water-splashing-on-the-ground effect be de-emphasised a little on wet? It's just a bit too strong right now, and it's on just about every tile on the walkways. This is, of course, one of the very finest-looking maps.
  • The map foundation is one of the best looking maps. No question about it. My only wish is that it had less boxes! They seriously impede freedom of movement you guys. :x

Debate, discuss, etcetera. I'm really bad at mapping, but I suppose I could try my hand at it if no-one else is going to step up. I'm familiar with Subversion and I could put these on the tracker, but I think it's better that my views are discussed here first, where players are more likely to see them. So what do you (yes, you!) think of my comments on these maps?

Note: I don't think any of these maps have been recently updated. The 'errata' here is for the maps as of version 1.31 Galactic.

Some maps you mention could use some small improvements, but I find that they all have their own character and feel, which is nice and makes them unique. You don't want to have the same texture over and over again in all maps either...

• Futuresport looks OK to me. Great map indeed!
  • Colony is nice as it is imo. It gives an isolated and deserted feel which I like.
  • Tribal could use some work, I agree. It is a map with great flow and could look prettier than it is now.
  • Nova is in the list for a complete makeover. Sooner or later it will change, feel free to retexture it and give it your best shot! :)
  • If I'm not mistaken, every raindrop falling down is a particle effect. They could be slimmed down a bit but it would look less realistic. When it rains, the rain isn't spread but falls down very close to each other. Maybe the particles could be made smaller, I don't know. It never bothered me anyway, I agree that Wet is a great map overall.
  • Foundation could use less boxes, but they make some great spots for cover! When playing medieval the many boxes are less interesting.
Ulukai

Postby wowie » 25 Feb 2013, 23:31

-----
Last edited by wowie on 11 Mar 2013, 03:08, edited 1 time in total.
I lost the game.
wowie

Postby greaserpirate » 26 Feb 2013, 05:21

Ulukai {l Wrote}:[*]Nova is in the list for a complete makeover. Sooner or later it will change, feel free to retexture it and give it your best shot! :)

Can I try and work on Nova? The lighting is awesome and it would be cool to see how the possibilities can be expanded. It might be helpful to know the deadline, too, just in case.

Also, Luckystrike, can you close the Forge ticket? It's been sitting around for a while. I could also submit a merged version with SES's textures but since they aren't included I think it's done until further notice.

And nice job with Venus Ulukai, it looks awesome :)

Friendship is Magic Voice Chat Mod
(Map) Trespass
(Map) Suspended
Find out more about >DOOM< here: www.redoomclan.tk
greaserpirate

Postby Ulukai » 26 Feb 2013, 09:27

greaserpirate {l Wrote}:
Ulukai {l Wrote}:[*]Nova is in the list for a complete makeover. Sooner or later it will change, feel free to retexture it and give it your best shot! :)

Can I try and work on Nova? The lighting is awesome and it would be cool to see how the possibilities can be expanded. It might be helpful to know the deadline, too, just in case.
And nice job with Venus Ulukai, it looks awesome :)

Of course you can work on Nova, it's up there for grabs! First come, first serve, go get your hands on it :) I don't think there is a real deadline. My bet is 1.4 will still take some time with all the new things that are in development now such as the vanity items. And if it won't be ready for 1.4, it will probably get included in 1.5 if Quin and / or the original author are happy with the result.

And thanks for Venus... :) All I did was fix bugs, retexture some things and choose new colors, but of course LuckyStrike did all the hard work when he made the map originally, so better thank him. This is an awesome map!
Ulukai

Postby quintux_v » 27 Feb 2013, 05:07

Ulukai {l Wrote}:And thanks for Venus... All I did was fix bugs, retexture some things and choose new colors, but of course LuckyStrike did all the hard work when he made the map originally, so better thank him. This is an awesome map!

Agreed, it's a great map, but I've got a couple of nitpickings which may or may not be on your end. The bots seem to randomly stop here and there, and I think that part might be a general issue, although it could be waypoints. Also, there's an off-center set of grenades on top of the blue team base, seen here:

20130226205102.png

Additionally, though it's more a funny feature than an issue, there's a ruined section which you can climb and shoot through. :D
[eX] member
quintux_v

Postby Ulukai » 27 Feb 2013, 10:25

Quintux, we can fix the issues you mentioned but some more information would be helpful.

Can you point us to some places where the bots get almost certainly stuck?
Where is the place you can shoot through?
Ulukai

Postby Evropi » 27 Feb 2013, 15:20

Talking of problems with the new Venus - though I can't clearly remember the situation in the old one, it would be nice if it were possible to wallrun on the rocks up the sides of the map. Also, the wallrun occasionally breaks on the wall of the cave near the Omega base (very rarely, but still annoying).

Otherwise, yes, the reason I didn't post anything in the past is because these are obviously not map-breaking annoyances and you made the map bloody gorgeous. Great job Ulukai.

Just my $0.02. :)
You just wasted 3 seconds of your life reading this.
Evropi

Postby greaserpirate » 01 Mar 2013, 04:55

Nova's coming along pretty well. Here's a changelog:

-added new textures including: trim, monitors instead of 'lego squares' in flag rooms, light pillars, some contrast in floors, etc.
-clipped a few bumpy places (lower area of bases, middle of side hallways)
-added a few grates like in Blood Frontier
-a few (3) subtle particles in lava

Still, there's a problem: the lava texture could look a lot better. A while ago on the forum we were introduced to Nobiax's lava texture. I checked the license; it's CC-BY-SA and he added a note: "Absolutely free to use or to modify in any kind of work (personal, commercial or else)". I modified it in GIMP to make it look more reddish and brighter. Here's the result in the context of the map:
supernova.png
old screenshot, from v1.1

Feedback is welcome; I'm probably not done yet.
Attachments
nova_1.3.zip
Updated again!
(3.1 MiB) Downloaded 304 times
Last edited by greaserpirate on 03 Mar 2013, 07:00, edited 2 times in total.

(Map) Trespass
(Map) Suspended
greaserpirate

Postby Ulukai » 01 Mar 2013, 08:49

Hello greaserpirate. I took a look at the updated supernova and I like the changes you made so far. You're definitely going in the right direction, but I think you should continue the overhaul and replace more original textures because with the sci-fi textures that you're using the contrast between some original textures / materials is becoming bigger. Only as an example, you find 2 screenshots with small tips, I'm sure you'll figure out what to do with them :)

screenshot.png

The colored tiles are often used as some kind of light source, which is very odd. I'm not sure if these tiles fit anywhere in the level...

screenshot.0001.png

The rock textures don't belong in the inside of a sci-fi base.

The particles in the lava look superb, it gives it a very dangerous feel and brings the lava to life. The map cargo could benefit from this as well imo, which is otherwise a great map! Well done.
Maybe you could choose a nice skybox to complete the new look of supernova and remove the cloudbox which is already present in many other maps.
Ulukai

Postby greaserpirate » 02 Mar 2013, 04:44

I've updated Nova again:

-replaced 'rock'-ish texture
-added lights in place of several colored tiles (the colored tiles give the map a nice feel though so I won't completely replace them).
-replaced the 'metal squares' texture touching the lava, since curves made the squares bump into each other
-other texture fixes/updates
-changed skytexture to a mix between Ulukai's 'Red Eclipse' with Penguin's 'Wrath' in purple
-did a /genpvs, just for good measure

Screenshot:
supernova.png
v1.2

I think it might be complete now. That is, unless people have more suggestions.

Ulukai {l Wrote}:The particles in the lava look superb, it gives it a very dangerous feel and brings the lava to life. The map cargo could benefit from this as well imo, which is otherwise a great map!

I'm glad you like it! Should I update Erosion with them, and maybe other maps (Tower, Hinder, and/or Error)?

Also, the lava texture was found to be slightly too pixelated. I'm not sure I know how to fix this, but if any Photoshop/Gimp pros out there want to help, that would be great. The current lava texture looks a bit dull and flat, and there are quite a few maps that use lava.

(Map) Trespass
(Map) Suspended
greaserpirate

Postby Ulukai » 02 Mar 2013, 11:07

v1.2 looks fabulous Greaserpirate, great work! Can I make 2 more suggestions?

screenshot.0002.png

These concrete-lined blocks look out of place imo. Can you find a more metal / sci-fi texture to fit this area? They appear here and there in the level. While I think it's a nice texture, this map could use another texture here.

screenshot.png

screenshot.0001.png

I played with the offset of the ground texture for this area. You can line it up better and make it look like plates with the same size instead of randomly placed plates. Can you see the difference? Oh and on the left side of both screenshots (where the lava is) you can see a texture error on the floor.

It's only nitpicking because the rest of the map is awesome imo. You replaced the textures with great care and spent a lot of time on little details like in the bases and the bridges over the lava. And if it would be my call, I'd say to have these lava effects in every level where lava is, hell yeah! :) Ask permission of Quin to update the official maps with it. Maybe you'll need permission of the original authors as well.

As a final note, I think you can update the "mapauthor" line to both favorito and your name... Then you should post this on the tracker to have Quin review the map. He's quite busy at the moment though...
Ulukai

Postby Dratz-_C » 02 Mar 2013, 15:49

Greaserpirate,
Do you see how the texture underneath the translucent cover, just above the lava is not aligned on the x axis to be symmetrical? If you want to make it look the same on the left as the right you can either offset half of it by half or offset the whole length by 1/4. If Ulukai was nitpicking then I have your edit under a magnifying glass.
Cheers
Dratz-_C

Postby greaserpirate » 03 Mar 2013, 07:19

Dratz-_C {l Wrote}:If Ulukai was nitpicking then I have your edit under a magnifying glass.

By all means, bring the microscopes! :) Feedback is always welcome.

I've updated again:
-new 'middle trim' textures for each base
-moved around tiles and metal window-border whadjamacallits, added some floor vents in the middle chamber

Screenshot:
supernova.png
v 1.3; the download link is above

This is probably going to be the final version; but then again 'art is never finished, only abandoned'.

I've also improved the modified Nobiax texture. I editied it in GIMP to blur the edges wherever it looked blocky, and I think the result looks much better.

(Map) Trespass
(Map) Suspended
greaserpirate

Postby restcoser » 03 Mar 2013, 11:23

A small question, maps that are right now in Operation Spitshine are those that are currently played often. But there are also some more dead or abandoned maps, that don't look that good (at least imho).(Biolytic comes to mind)
What happens to those?
restcoser

Postby Ulukai » 03 Mar 2013, 14:59

Biolytic is actually a new map since v1.3. Why do you think it looks bad? It looks OK to me, we can't use the same textures over and over again, each map needs it's own feel and Biolytic certainly is a map with it's own character.

In the announcements Quin describes clearly what the process of improving maps is, I'm not going to repeat all the arguments and given that he took his time to write down the procedure I suggest that you read his articles to fully understand why not everyone can improve whatever map he would want to for inclusion in the game.
Ulukai

Postby restcoser » 03 Mar 2013, 17:33

Yeah, I guess you are right. I probably just don't like the visual style and blockiness of it. I know that not every map can be improced at will, because of that it was a question, no meant as an insult against biolytic.
Just meant it could look better than it currently does. But if not, then no problem at all.
restcoser

Postby quintux_v » 04 Mar 2013, 05:54

Ulukai {l Wrote}:Can you point us to some places where the bots get almost certainly stuck?
Where is the place you can shoot through?

I'm working on my RE-less laptop right now, but for the bots, they don't get stuck... they just stop and shoot, sometimes like a n00b will (before they've learned to always keep moving). The place you can shoot through is the ruined wall near one of the bases.
Evropi {l Wrote}:you made the map bloody gorgeous. Great job Ulukai.

greaserpirate {l Wrote}:Still, there's a problem: the lava texture could look a lot better. A while ago on the forum we were introduced to Nobiax's lava texture. I checked the license; it's CC-BY-SA and he added a note: "Absolutely free to use or to modify in any kind of work (personal, commercial or else)". I modified it in GIMP to make it look more reddish and brighter.

I'm glad to know something finally contributory has come out of that topic.

Ulukai {l Wrote}:The map cargo could benefit from this as well imo, which is otherwise a great map! Well done.

Agreed.

greaserpirate {l Wrote}:I've updated again

...and it looks absolutely wonderful. Great job.

greaserpirate {l Wrote}:I've also improved the modified Nobiax texture. I editied it in GIMP to blur the edges wherever it looked blocky, and I think the result looks much better.

That's good to hear, I'd have suggested that it was resolution issues.

restcoser {l Wrote}:A small question, maps that are right now in Operation Spitshine are those that are currently played often. But there are also some more dead or abandoned maps, that don't look that good (at least imho).(Biolytic comes to mind)
What happens to those?

I'm agreeing about the whole "dead maps" revival idea, maybe the next map to be fixed should be determined via poll? Also, I have to agree that Biolytic doesn't seemed to be played very often. Honestly, I don't think I've played on it more than 10 times. Out of curiosity, has anyone talked to raiden in a while?
[eX] member
quintux_v

Postby raiden » 04 Mar 2013, 08:10

quintux {l Wrote}:...Out of curiosity, has anyone talked to raiden in a while?

Just for the case: I'm busy from time to time, but I'm still here and fine :). I'm working on a later map at the moment and will be back in the game itself soon.
sorn
cutec
syndicate
metalhead

ingame: .uEn|r4iden
raiden

Postby qreeves » 04 Mar 2013, 10:33

http://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=4171 - please stick to maps I have given to the community to remix, unless you have spoken to the map author directly about the issue. Just because you or other people don't like a certain map does not mean everyone feels the same way, and talking like this in a public forum is more than certain to hurt someone's feelings.

For the record, Cinta and I play on Biolytic quite often; it is a map with true atmosphere (right down to the choice of music), and not "just another arena map".
Exactly, I'm only having a hard time to get to the central flag in KOTH DTF.
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves