README: New Release slated for 28th January 2012

README: New Release slated for 28th January 2012

Postby qreeves » 26 Jan 2013, 07:07

Hello community! On the 28th of January 2012, Red Eclipse will be featured on Sourceforge's projects of the week. This would likely be due to the influx of interest generated by the IllumiRoom project. As such, I think it is prudent that we at least get a 1.3.5 point release out so that the new mechanics can be deployed. Over the next day or so I will be retuning everything in SVN to that end, and it would be appreciated if everyone can get involved in testing it and reporting back your thoughts/issues here.

If you intend on getting a map/mod in the release, I'd wrap it up and post it on the tracker ASAP.
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
User avatar
qreeves
 
Posts: 1290
Joined: 17 Mar 2011, 03:46
Location: Queensland, Australia

Re: README: New Release slated for 28th January 2012

Postby TheLastProject » 26 Jan 2013, 12:12

I'm going to assume not everything has been added yet, but for now:
- The mines are quite polished, and really add to the gameplay a bit, without damaging any of the core mechanics. Just, awesome! I wonder if people are still going to be using grenades a lot, though.
- I've had issues using my mouse after pressing ESC to get to the main menu during intermission. It just wouldn't move. On any moment which is not intermission, the main menu worked fine for me. Seeing how I moved to Gentoo only a week or two ago and have little clue about how to maintain a stable system, this could be completely on my side. I would appreciate it if others could check if they could reproduce this issue, just to make sure it's not just me.
- The "background changes" during intermission are quite nice, and definitely an improvement over the old, static "image".
- A lot of bots instantly die as soon as they spawn on cutec, when the mode is deathmatch (not team). I had 5 bots instantly die. After this short initial weirdness, the game seems to continue normally.
- The weapon crosshairs are quite nice.
- I've heard people talk about mine spawns, but I spawn with 4 mines when the match starts and didn't see any mine spawns. What are mine spawns used for? In case the server is set up not to let players spawn with mines?

Long story short: There seem to only be a few very minor issues.

P.S.: I see new access levels were introduced. What is the difference between them? I looked through diff #4720, but I couldn't really get a clear image about what which level can do.
Hats, Afros, wings and raptor feet. This game is showing progress indeed.
TheLastProject
 
Posts: 432
Joined: 06 Nov 2011, 17:04

Re: README: New Release slated for 28th January 2012

Postby raiden » 26 Jan 2013, 12:35

That are good news.
I don't know the bot issue on cutec until now and would take a look on it, but sadly my computer is hopelessly broken. I have ordered a new one, but it lasts probably a week, until I have it. After that I will not have much time for these things probably :(. However, I'll try the best to free some time then, although this is too late.
sorn
cutec
syndicate
metalhead

ingame: .uEn|r4iden
User avatar
raiden
 
Posts: 331
Joined: 23 Jan 2012, 12:59
Location: Berlin, Germany

Re: README: New Release slated for 28th January 2012

Postby qreeves » 26 Jan 2013, 12:59

TheLastProject wrote:- I've had issues using my mouse after pressing ESC to get to the main menu during intermission. It just wouldn't move. On any moment which is not intermission, the main menu worked fine for me. Seeing how I moved to Gentoo only a week or two ago and have little clue about how to maintain a stable system, this could be completely on my side. I would appreciate it if others could check if they could reproduce this issue, just to make sure it's not just me.

I can't reproduce the issue.

TheLastProject wrote:- The "background changes" during intermission are quite nice, and definitely an improvement over the old, static "image".

Yeah, I thought seeing as SpecTV is designed to keep you occupied while you are waiting, that it would be appropriate. The mouse input and third person redesign helped make this one happen.

TheLastProject wrote:- A lot of bots instantly die as soon as they spawn on cutec, when the mode is deathmatch (not team). I had 5 bots instantly die. After this short initial weirdness, the game seems to continue normally.

I think it is happening because they appear to spawn fully solid for some unknown reason (the problem is my code, not cutec). RE prohibits people spawning inside something by killing them, but bot obituaries are hidden by default if they don't have a human component.

TheLastProject wrote:- The weapon crosshairs are quite nice.

The clips around the crosshair? I had to redesign them a little to allow it to properly reflect changes to server side variables. Previously, we were just drawing slices of a static image, so when the ammo capacity of a weapon changed, it was rendered unusable (I compensated by just drawing slices of the progress circle). With the new system, I am rendering each piece individually, with automatic scaling depending on size; the end result means that on servers with custom settings, you will always see a proper clip for the weapon you are using. This also lets me do some cool effects, like spin the little ammo piece(s) as you shoot, or change weapons.

TheLastProject wrote:- I've heard people talk about mine spawns, but I spawn with 4 mines when the match starts and didn't see any mine spawns. What are mine spawns used for? In case the server is set up not to let players spawn with mines?

"spawnmines" is set to "2" for testing, because maps currently do not have any spawns for them. I will change the setting prior to a release, once I've gotten (most) maps updated.

TheLastProject wrote:P.S.: I see new access levels were introduced. What is the difference between them? I looked through diff #4720, but I couldn't really get a clear image about what which level can do.

Currently, nothing other than look pretty and give you more power than those beneath you in the chain. Eventually, it will form part of the "RE system of government"; doctrines soon to be drafted, in coalition with the community, that will govern RE operations. Levels such as "operator" and higher will be able to set temporary global bans, "administrators" permanent ones, etc. I am implementing a clear chain of command, as I am tired of dealing with interpersonal disputes within the community.
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
User avatar
qreeves
 
Posts: 1290
Joined: 17 Mar 2011, 03:46
Location: Queensland, Australia

Re: README: New Release slated for 28th January 2012

Postby TheLastProject » 26 Jan 2013, 15:11

qreeves wrote:
TheLastProject wrote:- I've had issues using my mouse after pressing ESC to get to the main menu during intermission. It just wouldn't move. On any moment which is not intermission, the main menu worked fine for me. Seeing how I moved to Gentoo only a week or two ago and have little clue about how to maintain a stable system, this could be completely on my side. I would appreciate it if others could check if they could reproduce this issue, just to make sure it's not just me.

I can't reproduce the issue.

Figures. Well, thanks for testing!

qreeves wrote:
TheLastProject wrote:- A lot of bots instantly die as soon as they spawn on cutec, when the mode is deathmatch (not team). I had 5 bots instantly die. After this short initial weirdness, the game seems to continue normally.

I think it is happening because they appear to spawn fully solid for some unknown reason (the problem is my code, not cutec). RE prohibits people spawning inside something by killing them, but bot obituaries are hidden by default if they don't have a human component.

That figures why it seemed to sometimes happen on other maps as well. On cutec, however, it happened quite often, so I thought it was worth mentioning.

qreeves wrote:
TheLastProject wrote:- The weapon crosshairs are quite nice.

The clips around the crosshair? I had to redesign them a little to allow it to properly reflect changes to server side variables. Previously, we were just drawing slices of a static image, so when the ammo capacity of a weapon changed, it was rendered unusable (I compensated by just drawing slices of the progress circle). With the new system, I am rendering each piece individually, with automatic scaling depending on size; the end result means that on servers with custom settings, you will always see a proper clip for the weapon you are using. This also lets me do some cool effects, like spin the little ammo piece(s) as you shoot, or change weapons.

I actually meant the weapon-specific crosshair feature, which I, for some silly reason, never noticed in the UI menu before. The clips around the crosshair are pretty sweet as well, the way they "disappear" as you shoot is fluid and simply beautiful. The minimal HUD is also quite nice, although it makes it hard for me to know which weapons I can switch to. It's not in the menu anyway, so this very slight "issue" (that others probably don't mind at all) isn't worth complaining about now :P

qreeves wrote:
TheLastProject wrote:- I've heard people talk about mine spawns, but I spawn with 4 mines when the match starts and didn't see any mine spawns. What are mine spawns used for? In case the server is set up not to let players spawn with mines?

"spawnmines" is set to "2" for testing, because maps currently do not have any spawns for them. I will change the setting prior to a release, once I've gotten (most) maps updated.

That makes sense, thanks!

qreeves wrote:
TheLastProject wrote:P.S.: I see new access levels were introduced. What is the difference between them? I looked through diff #4720, but I couldn't really get a clear image about what which level can do.

Currently, nothing other than look pretty and give you more power than those beneath you in the chain. Eventually, it will form part of the "RE system of government"; doctrines soon to be drafted, in coalition with the community, that will govern RE operations. Levels such as "operator" and higher will be able to set temporary global bans, "administrators" permanent ones, etc. I am implementing a clear chain of command, as I am tired of dealing with interpersonal disputes within the community.

Good to know. Seeing what happens every now and then, I can quite understand you being tired of dealing with this. A system like that should be pretty perfect, assuming you make sure that those with a reasonable amount of power are trustable, but I trust your ability to chose well.
Hats, Afros, wings and raptor feet. This game is showing progress indeed.
TheLastProject
 
Posts: 432
Joined: 06 Nov 2011, 17:04

Re: README: New Release slated for 28th January 2012

Postby Dratz-_C » 26 Jan 2013, 17:07

Thanks quin,
This is pleasant news.
TheLastProject wrote:I've had issues using my mouse after pressing ESC to get to the main menu during intermission. It just wouldn't move. On any moment which is not intermission, the main menu worked fine for me. Seeing how I moved to Gentoo only a week or two ago and have little clue about how to maintain a stable system, this could be completely on my side. I would appreciate it if others could check if they could reproduce this issue, just to make sure it's not just me.
No, this temporary freeze happens to me too and has for months--I should have reported it like you did.
TheLastProject wrote:I'm going to assume not everything has been added yet, but for now:
- The mines are quite polished, and really add to the gameplay a bit, without damaging any of the core mechanics. Just, awesome! I wonder if people are still going to be using grenades a lot, though.
It will be interesting in subsequent testing to see where they are placed and make sure those are good spots.
TheLastProject wrote:The weapon crosshairs are quite nice.
I like the ammunition reload spin around the crosshair.
Cheers
User avatar
Dratz-_C
 
Posts: 409
Joined: 03 Mar 2012, 00:13
Location: North Carolina, United States of America

Re: README: New Release slated for 28th January 2012

Postby Sniper-Goth » 26 Jan 2013, 17:13

About the new release, will it be compatible with Cube 2 Sauerbraten "colletor edition" maps?
Red Eclipse in game name: Sniper-Goth/Sniper-quake3. Maps in the making: DOTA style map, ringed, train, ladder race,.
User avatar
Sniper-Goth
 
Posts: 221
Joined: 27 Aug 2012, 20:10

Re: README: New Release slated for 28th January 2012

Postby riidom » 26 Jan 2013, 20:19

Can confirm the mouse freeze issue on win xp.
User avatar
riidom
 
Posts: 216
Joined: 25 Jan 2010, 02:02
Location: irgendwo an der Elbe

Re: README: New Release slated for 28th January 2012

Postby Dratz-_C » 26 Jan 2013, 20:37

SockeToon/Riidom and I just confirmed the following issues with the newest svn.

Urgent priority:

Mouse does indeed freeze in about 1 out of 3 games for f2 and f3 during the intermission.

Mine2 does not arm on any pitch other than a right angle. It just explodes. Tested on ghost, venus and battlefield.

High priority:

Mine1 and mine2 stuck to a player orbit the player properly as the player turns but do not yaw to match the players rotation. To test this, have someone throw a mine on you and then turn while keeping an eye on their mine.

I have just submitted these 3 issues to the tracker.

Cheers
User avatar
Dratz-_C
 
Posts: 409
Joined: 03 Mar 2012, 00:13
Location: North Carolina, United States of America

Re: README: New Release slated for 28th January 2012

Postby Dratz-_C » 26 Jan 2013, 23:13

LuckyStrikeRX,
See if you can use these for the mine and mineclip.
mine.png
mineclip.png
mine.xcf
Cheers
Last edited by Dratz-_C on 27 Jan 2013, 04:54, edited 3 times in total.
User avatar
Dratz-_C
 
Posts: 409
Joined: 03 Mar 2012, 00:13
Location: North Carolina, United States of America

Re: README: New Release slated for 28th January 2012

Postby wowie » 27 Jan 2013, 00:10

Dratz-_C wrote:quin,
See if you can use these for the mine and mineclip.
-snip-
Cheers

Nice!
I lost the game.
User avatar
wowie
 
Posts: 314
Joined: 15 Mar 2012, 22:22

Re: README: New Release slated for 28th January 2012

Postby greaserpirate » 27 Jan 2013, 01:26

Sniper-Goth wrote:About the new release, will it be compatible with Cube 2 Sauerbraten "colletor edition" maps?


Yes.

Also, ubuntu user reporting in, can confirm mouse is frozen on intermission. :(

Being featured on SF is quite an honor; but man, that's a tight deadline. If there's anything I can do to help things move more quickly, let me know.

Friendship is Magic Voice Chat Mod
(Map) Trespass
(Map) Suspended
Find out more about >DOOM< here: www.redoomclan.tk
User avatar
greaserpirate
 
Posts: 350
Joined: 22 Jun 2011, 18:23

Re: README: New Release slated for 28th January 2012

Postby qreeves » 27 Jan 2013, 02:50

Note to everybody: If you intend on getting a map/mod in the release, I'd wrap it up and post it on the tracker ASAP. Cutoff time will be about 2PM UTC (12AM AEST[+10]).
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
User avatar
qreeves
 
Posts: 1290
Joined: 17 Mar 2011, 03:46
Location: Queensland, Australia

Re: README: New Release slated for 28th January 2012

Postby Blindman » 27 Jan 2013, 21:05

- I've had issues using my mouse after pressing ESC to get to the main menu during intermission. It just wouldn't move. On any moment which is not intermission, the main menu worked fine for me. Seeing how I moved to Gentoo only a week or two ago and have little clue about how to maintain a stable system, this could be completely on my side. I would appreciate it if others could check if they could reproduce this issue, just to make sure it's not just me.

it isnt just you, dooes it on linux mint 13 as well
Blindman
 
Posts: 80
Joined: 22 Feb 2012, 05:10

Re: README: New Release slated for 28th January 2012

Postby qreeves » 27 Jan 2013, 23:59

Blindman wrote:
- I've had issues using my mouse after pressing ESC to get to the main menu during intermission. It just wouldn't move. On any moment which is not intermission, the main menu worked fine for me. Seeing how I moved to Gentoo only a week or two ago and have little clue about how to maintain a stable system, this could be completely on my side. I would appreciate it if others could check if they could reproduce this issue, just to make sure it's not just me.

it isnt just you, dooes it on linux mint 13 as well

I was FINALLY able to reproduce this last night, traced the path in my head back to some input handling code. Will take a look at it today.
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
User avatar
qreeves
 
Posts: 1290
Joined: 17 Mar 2011, 03:46
Location: Queensland, Australia

Re: README: New Release slated for 28th January 2012

Postby Remilia Scarlet » 28 Jan 2013, 04:15

qreeves wrote:The clips around the crosshair? I had to redesign them a little to allow it to properly reflect changes to server side variables. Previously, we were just drawing slices of a static image, so when the ammo capacity of a weapon changed, it was rendered unusable (I compensated by just drawing slices of the progress circle). With the new system, I am rendering each piece individually, with automatic scaling depending on size; the end result means that on servers with custom settings, you will always see a proper clip for the weapon you are using. This also lets me do some cool effects, like spin the little ammo piece(s) as you shoot, or change weapons.

Yes! I was waiting for something like this...
The ring always looked so ugly >_<

Any chance something like that could be used for the actual crosshair (not in this version of course...)? It would guarantee that it is actually centred and would allow for accurate 3-point crosshairs also...

Is there an option that allows you to disable the spinning ammunition counter?
Remilia Scarlet
 
Posts: 46
Joined: 04 Jul 2011, 18:24
Location: Gensokyo

Re: README: New Release slated for 28th January 2012

Postby qreeves » 28 Jan 2013, 10:30

Remilia Scarlet wrote:Is there an option that allows you to disable the spinning ammunition counter?

Code: Select all
// "round-the-clock" rotation of texture, 0 = off, &1 = flip x, &2 = flip y, &4 = angle, &8 = spin
VAR(IDF_PERSIST, meleecliprotate, 0, 12, 7);
VAR(IDF_PERSIST, pistolcliprotate, 0, 12, 15);
VAR(IDF_PERSIST, swordcliprotate, 0, 12, 15);
VAR(IDF_PERSIST, shotguncliprotate, 0, 12, 15);
VAR(IDF_PERSIST, smgcliprotate, 0, 12, 15);
VAR(IDF_PERSIST, flamercliprotate, 0, 12, 15);
VAR(IDF_PERSIST, plasmacliprotate, 0, 12, 15);
VAR(IDF_PERSIST, riflecliprotate, 0, 12, 15);
VAR(IDF_PERSIST, grenadecliprotate, 0, 1, 15);
VAR(IDF_PERSIST, minecliprotate, 0, 1, 15);
VAR(IDF_PERSIST, rocketcliprotate, 0, 12, 15);
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
User avatar
qreeves
 
Posts: 1290
Joined: 17 Mar 2011, 03:46
Location: Queensland, Australia

Re: README: New Release slated for 28th January 2012

Postby Remilia Scarlet » 28 Jan 2013, 21:32

Thank you~

Something concerning the mines (svn)...
When touching a wall and throwing a mine (secondary or primary) they fall through geometry (perhaps attach to th wrong side? Bleeping can still be heard)...
Image
Image
Image

Although in the screenshots I had set the gamespeed lower I can confirm that this happens at 100 also...
Remilia Scarlet
 
Posts: 46
Joined: 04 Jul 2011, 18:24
Location: Gensokyo

Re: README: New Release slated for 28th January 2012

Postby TheLastProject » 28 Jan 2013, 22:35

Remilia Scarlet wrote:Thank you~

Something concerning the mines (svn)...
When touching a wall and throwing a mine (secondary or primary) they fall through geometry (perhaps attach to th wrong side? Bleeping can still be heard)...
[...]

Although in the screenshots I had set the gamespeed lower I can confirm that this happens at 100 also...

I have confirmed this bug with all affinities, including flags and the bomber ball. I've made a ticket here: #327
Of course, it's great to have players report issues, and we're all glad that you're taking the time to do that, but as you can see, it has already been reported, and will hopefully be taken care of before the release.
Hats, Afros, wings and raptor feet. This game is showing progress indeed.
TheLastProject
 
Posts: 432
Joined: 06 Nov 2011, 17:04

Re: README: New Release slated for 28th January 2012

Postby Remilia Scarlet » 28 Jan 2013, 22:53

I was searching tickets for "mine" and "collision" >_<

Also, when wepcliprotate is set to 4 the counters will occasionally fade out from the wrong direction if an attack that consumes multiple units is used.
Remilia Scarlet
 
Posts: 46
Joined: 04 Jul 2011, 18:24
Location: Gensokyo

Re: README: New Release slated for 28th January 2012

Postby quintux_v » 29 Jan 2013, 03:15

qreeves wrote:On the 28th of January 2012, Red Eclipse will be featured on Sourceforge's projects of the week.


Whoo! :D

qreeves wrote:This would likely be due to the influx of interest generated by the IllumiRoom project.


Oh, irony...

qreeves wrote:As such, I think it is prudent that we at least get a 1.3.5 point release out so that the new mechanics can be deployed


Sweet. Totally looking forward to this. Also, I love the new mine models, who made'em?
[eX] member
aliases: quintux_v | blakthunder
User avatar
quintux_v
 
Posts: 187
Joined: 24 May 2012, 00:14

Re: README: New Release slated for 28th January 2012

Postby qreeves » 29 Jan 2013, 11:26

LuckyStrikeRx made the new mine model. Snazzy, eh?
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
User avatar
qreeves
 
Posts: 1290
Joined: 17 Mar 2011, 03:46
Location: Queensland, Australia

Re: README: New Release slated for 28th January 2012

Postby Julius » 29 Jan 2013, 12:16

Yeah nice one, just the arms sadly look really low quality in direct comparison (edit: personally I would just cut them completely from the game and adjust the weapon models to not have them visible at all).

Ahh and it's the 29th already... a release is happening soon?
“You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete” - Buckminster Fuller
User avatar
Julius
Moderator
 
Posts: 1482
Joined: 06 Dec 2009, 14:02

Re: README: New Release slated for 28th January 2012

Postby qreeves » 29 Jan 2013, 14:30

Release is being pushed back, ended up being too much of a scramble (thank you, everyone [yes, even myself]). If anyone was hoping to submit content and missed the deadline, consider it extended until Friday.
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
User avatar
qreeves
 
Posts: 1290
Joined: 17 Mar 2011, 03:46
Location: Queensland, Australia

Re: README: New Release slated for 28th January 2012

Postby raiden » 29 Jan 2013, 15:20

A good decision. It's better to release a bit later and have a better result :) .
The new mines are looking very nice, indeed.
Nothing against the players arms: I like them how they are.
sorn
cutec
syndicate
metalhead

ingame: .uEn|r4iden
User avatar
raiden
 
Posts: 331
Joined: 23 Jan 2012, 12:59
Location: Berlin, Germany

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests