Red Eclipse is used in a Kinect tech augments demonstration!

Red Eclipse is used in a Kinect tech augments demonstration!

Postby Sniper-Goth » 10 Jan 2013, 01:12

Thats it, i just saw that microsoft was showing a new tech for Kinect, and with what game they demonstrated it... thats right, Red Eclipse!
Its just so awesome to see it in action.

Link for the news: http://www.destructoid.com/new-kinect-t ... 2076.phtml
Red Eclipse in game name: Sniper-Goth/Sniper-quake3. Maps in the making: DOTA style map, ringed, train, ladder race,.
Sniper-Goth

Re: Red Eclipse is used in a Kinect tech augments demonstrat

Postby raiden » 10 Jan 2013, 01:45

Interesting, I ask me why they use open scource games like RE and Supertux cart for their commercial, instead of material from Microsofts own subsidiaries? Probably it's the blame of the commissioned publicity agency. They wanted to avoid problems with copyrights maybe? It's a bit strange for my taste.
sorn
cutec
syndicate
metalhead

ingame: .uEn|r4iden
raiden

Postby ballist1c » 10 Jan 2013, 01:53

Direct link:

youtu.be/re1EatGRV0w

Haha, you are a bit late, Sniper-Goth. LuckyStrike and I posted some blurbs on the video, that were top comments for a short while:

RedEclipseFps {l Wrote}:Hey everybody! The game you are seeing is NOT Halo, it is in fact Red Eclipse. Red Eclipse is a free, open-source, arena FPS with a focus on multiplayer and fast parkour action. We have loads of maps, balanced weapons, and an overhauled game engine based on Cube 2. It is always in development, so stop by our website to download our latest release, and let us know what you think :) - The Red Eclipse Team

I also posted it on Reddit
Image Joseph "ballist1c" Calabria

Bloodlust // Abuse // Insidious // Longest Yard 2000
ballist1c

Postby Sniper-Goth » 10 Jan 2013, 01:54

At least the player base will increase.
I already saw some new faces that came because of this commercial.
Free propaganda is always a good thing.
Red Eclipse in game name: Sniper-Goth/Sniper-quake3. Maps in the making: DOTA style map, ringed, train, ladder race,.
Sniper-Goth

Postby raiden » 10 Jan 2013, 02:04

For fun, NOT seriously: if qreeves would accuse them we had a much bigger publicity :).
sorn
cutec
syndicate
metalhead

ingame: .uEn|r4iden
raiden

Postby Evropi » 10 Jan 2013, 02:06

Funny how Microsoft is demonstrating its products with open source software... oh, how the mighty have fallen! feels good man
You just wasted 3 seconds of your life reading this.
Evropi

Postby wowie » 10 Jan 2013, 05:20

Did I just see what I thought I saw?
I lost the game.
wowie

Postby Ulukai » 10 Jan 2013, 09:51

Nice to see it in action, and always fun to see a new technology but I wouldn't wanna play like this... It takes away all the focus!
Ulukai

Postby TheLastProject » 10 Jan 2013, 16:58

Oh wow, this is awesome! I hope this'll help the community grow something. Yay, free advertising!
Hats, Afros, wings and raptor feet. This game is showing progress indeed.
TheLastProject

Postby Julius » 10 Jan 2013, 17:55

Heh, came here to post about it... quite nice tech and cool advertisement for RedEclipse. There seems to be also a very short section with SuperTux cart and another FPS I couldn't quite identify, the old Nexuiz maybe?
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Evropi » 10 Jan 2013, 18:29

Julius {l Wrote}:Heh, came here to post about it... quite nice tech and cool advertisement for RedEclipse. There seems to be also a very short section with SuperTux cart and another FPS I couldn't quite identify, the old Nexuiz maybe?

That would be Halo, chap... I recognised it straight off the bat, it has the famous needler gun there. You can see all the games in the tiny credits at the bottom after the end of the video, anyway.

PS: Red Eclipse is not written in PascalCase, and SuperTuxKart is written as I wrote it (though Microsoft rendered the title as 'Super Tux Cart').
Evropi

Postby Julius » 10 Jan 2013, 19:33

Ahh... now I remember ;) strange that they only "flash" it at the end.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby unixfreak » 11 Jan 2013, 01:49

That's pretty awesome. Reminds me of the burger king advert that featured Sauerbraten.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_UItuqV0c4

Probably comes down to them not having to pay licensing fee's or something along those lines.
unixfreak

Postby qreeves » 11 Jan 2013, 03:23

"-by" asks that they give us credit for the artwork, zlib just asks really nicely. It is probably due to the awesome attention we've paid to our licenses that enables everyone, not just Microsoft, to do neat things like this.
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby ballist1c » 11 Jan 2013, 03:29

qreeves {l Wrote}:"-by" asks that they give us credit for the artwork, zlib just asks really nicely. It is probably due to the awesome attention we've paid to our licenses that enables everyone, not just Microsoft, to do neat things like this.

arand <3
Image Joseph "ballist1c" Calabria

Bloodlust // Abuse // Insidious // Longest Yard 2000
ballist1c

Postby arand » 11 Jan 2013, 11:20

I've split further licensing discussion into a separate thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=4029
arand

Postby cdxbow » 11 Jan 2013, 23:14

I come back from the beach to find this, has there been some strange quantum probablity fluctations, or scrambling of the timelines? This is extroidinary that MS would use RE to demonstrate some new tech. Next thing you know Bill Gates will start giving away all his money......
cdxbow

Postby Evropi » 12 Jan 2013, 01:08

cdxbow {l Wrote}:I come back from the beach to find this, has there been some strange quantum probablity fluctations, or scrambling of the timelines? This is extroidinary that MS would use RE to demonstrate some new tech. Next thing you know Bill Gates will start giving away all his money......

I see what you did there :) Yikes! $28 BILLION!
Evropi

Postby quintux_v » 12 Jan 2013, 01:22

cdxbow {l Wrote}:This is extroidinary that MS would use RE to demonstrate some new tech.

I wonder if they're becoming fearful of the power of open source and are attempting to work with it, like Steam has.
[eX] member
aliases: quintux_v | blakthunder
quintux_v

Postby brett.r.jones2 » 17 Jan 2013, 19:57

Hi All,

Brett Jones here (one of the creators of IllumiRoom).

I just wanted to say that you guys are doing a really awesome job with Red Eclipse. The code is super easy to understand, the game is really visually rich and it is really fun to play.

Thanks!
brett.r.jones2

Postby greaserpirate » 18 Jan 2013, 02:22

brett.r.jones2 {l Wrote}:Hi All,

I just wanted to say that you guys are doing a really awesome job with Red Eclipse. The code is super easy to understand, the game is really visually rich and it is really fun to play.

Thanks!

It's great to hear from you, and I'm glad you enjoy Red Eclipse! :)

One thing I was wondering: from the video it looked like you were able to move around and shoot using a controller. Did you also try incorporating any of the impulse moves? I've always wondered what the parkour system would be like on a controller.

Friendship is Magic Voice Chat Mod
(Map) Trespass
(Map) Suspended
Find out more about >DOOM< here: www.redoomclan.tk
greaserpirate

Postby qreeves » 18 Jan 2013, 04:41

brett.r.jones2 {l Wrote}:Hi All,

Thanks!

Hey, nice to hear from you! I must admit, news of Red Eclipse being featured in the IllumiRoom project took us by surprise. I'm glad it was able to help you guys, and that you were able to enjoy yourselves while doing so, we've all put a lot of work into polishing the game over the last few releases. Things like this really demonstrate that our hard work is paying off, and I think it was a bit of an ego boost to everyone in the community, loyal to the project.

I understand that you are working in a commercial environment and may not be able to share or disclose much about your work, but if there's anything we can help your team with please don't hesitate to let me know. I'd also be very interested in any feedback those involved with the Red Eclipse portions of your project might have. Having some perspective in the commercial sector, and not just in the community, could probably help Red Eclipse become even more awesome in the future. I believe a free exchange of ideas, information, and resources are what contribute best to a project (at least, in Open Source).

That being said, if you're ever in Australia demonstrating the IllumiRoom and care to let the creator of the game have a crack at it, or just want to get some feedback or talk some shop with an Open Source game developer, let me know. I'd be quite interested :) - Thanks for using Red Eclipse in your demonstrations, I think it will help us a lot moving forward.
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby Ulukai » 18 Jan 2013, 10:30

Kind of you to stop by here. Good to hear that you enjoyed RE while testing the new IllumiRoom, we hope you will continue showing it off in future videos ;)
Ulukai

Postby Sniper-Goth » 29 Apr 2013, 15:24

New video released about IllumiRoom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ4hWa6y ... r_embedded

I still don't know how to use the youtube links correctly in the posts :p
Sniper-Goth

Postby Dratz-_C » 30 Apr 2013, 03:43

Sniper-Goth,
This is a nice video. Existing games need open access to the source code to be modified for use with the IllumiRoom. Red Eclipse is featured in the new video. To embed a video in a post, click the youtube button, the one on the right. Then from the full Uniform Resource Locator (URL) for the video copy the video ID, the letters and numbers after the = symbol and before the possible & symbol, between the two sets of youtube square brackets.
This:
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
[youtube]sJ4hWa6y710[/youtube]
not that:
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ4hWa6y710&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

I have embedded the video for you this time. Thank you for finding it.

youtu.be/sJ4hWa6y710
Cheers
Dratz-_C