RELEASE: Red Eclipse v1.3 (Galactic Edition)

RELEASE: Red Eclipse v1.3 (Galactic Edition)

Postby qreeves » 01 Sep 2012, 03:31

The Red Eclipse Team is proud to announce their new release, version 1.3 codenamed "Galactic Edition".

This release sees a semi-stabilisation of the gameplay in favour of implementing a variety of bugfixes and user requests. We've removed some old cruft and implemented a few new game types to replace them, like coop (humans fight high powered bots), and king-of-the-hill (control and defend one flag). Due to the popularity of the impulse/parkour system we have introduced a new "impulse vaulting", where you can hold down your parkour key to "vault" over low obstacles, making it that much easier to navigate around busy levels.

We invite you to download it and give it a go, each release brings us that much closer to a polished game. If you have any feedback, feel free to leave a comment and let us know what you think. We're also still looking for a new trailer to be featured on our home page, as the one we are using now is 4 releases old! If you think you can help make a professional video, check out the thread on our forums: http://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=2237

We hope you enjoy playing this game as much as we enjoy creating it. As always, you can download Red Eclipse from our website: http://www.redeclipse.net/

Full Changelog

Gameplay:
  • New "impulse vaulting" movement (press Q next to an obstacle to use it to propel yourself upward)
  • Points no longer given for consecutively dropping and picking up affinities (flags/ball)
  • AI now uses "random walk" when no waypoints are present
  • Players in time trial are now non-solid by default (/{sv_}trialstyle)
Weapons:
  • Rocket launcher now spawns in instagib
  • Melee no longer requires an impulse action before (back to 1.1 behaviour)
  • Flamer primary and secondary range and size reduced, secondary fire lifetime of particles increased
  • Pistol recoil slightly increased, secondary now fires twice as many particles with more spread, but with less damage and longer intervals
  • SMG secondary now fires balls which after a short distance explodes into a large amount of radial flak
  • Shotgun recoil increased
  • Plasma primary damage and radius reduced, primary and secondary recoil increased
  • Rifle recoil increased
Maps:
  • Institute, new map
  • Biolytic, new map
  • Ares, updated to version 1.9
  • Conflict, new map
  • Fourplex, new map
  • Starlibido, new map
  • Industrial, new map
  • Oneiroi, new map
  • Pumpstation, new map
  • Dawn, removed from rotations
  • Neodrive, new time-trial map
  • Hawk, new time-trial map
  • Ubik, clip/water/door fixes
  • Alphacampaign, removed
  • Canals, new map
  • Wet, tweaked obstacles
  • Keystone, revamped as "Keystone2k"
  • Isolation, added bomber-ball waypoints
Interface & Menus:
  • Brush selection now mapped to K+wheel (unbound in 1.2, J+wheel in 1.1)
  • Added ability to save and automatically use arena loadouts
  • Show player count on server browser
  • Show unresponsive servers (bottom of server list)
  • Several new international keycodes are now bind-able as WORLD_{0..95}
  • Added ability to mark map favourites (pinned to top of map list)
  • Now possible to skip dead players while spectating (on by default in duel & survivor; /followdead, /spectvdead)
  • Added on-screen help for commands/vars/etc. (work in progress)
  • Blank names are no longer possible
  • Added Texture preview on hover in browser
  • Bot info hidden on scoreboard per default
  • Joins/leaves no longer shown when connecting/disconnecting
  • Added player model preview in profile selection
  • /kidmode (reduced blood & gore) is now persistent
Modes & Mutators:
  • Hover mutator removed
  • Added "gamespeedlock" to independently allow servers to unlock "gamespeed" (still checks varslock though)
  • Added {mode,muts}idxname variables for mode and mutator values
  • Added server variable "<weap>reloads" now defines the number of times a weapon can reload (-1 = infinite, 0 = never, 1+ = count)
  • Bomber-ball basket (possible to score by throwing ball into goal) set as the default, moved from mutator to server-side variable (bomberbasket)
  • Removed campaign and teambalance 3,
  • Added new mutator "coop" (humans vs bots)
  • Added new mutator "king of the hill" for defend the flag
  • Multi and team mutators are now mutually exclusive
Modding & Data Assets:
  • Removed kitchen and kitchen1 textures from trak4 (unused)
  • track_11, track_12, new music
  • Skyboxes: arid2, interstellar, miramar, stormydays - added; dusk - removed
  • Now possible to link playerstart/affinity/checkpoint to mapsound/particles/lightfx
  • Added texture based slippery physics (textcoastscale and vcoastscale, sets as a scale of floorcoast/slidecoast, only works on top facing textures)
  • Added sigma/kappa concrete textures and mapmodels
  • Added style parameter for /editmat (empty/non-empty/entirely-solid/non-entirely-solid)
Multiplayer & Servers:
  • Added server hosting and player guidelines for the master server
  • mapname.wpt and mapname.txt is now included when sending a map
  • Allow players to cast votes for ones made by an admin which conflict with a lock control
  • Added ability to lock demos/spec/kick/ban to specific access levels (master/auth/admin), likewise for {mode,maps,vars,vote}lock
  • Expanded admin control (can now add allows, mute, and limit team changing)
  • Renamed privileges: master->helper, auth->moderator
  • Added ability to specify a ban/kick/etc. reason
  • Added ability to get client hostname (/echo (gethostname <cn>) or /showhostname to show on scoreboard)
  • Intermission now waits full time before proceeding to the next map
  • Added auto-mute on chat spam (warns on 3 lines per 10 seconds, mutes after 3 warns)
  • Voting mid-game now requires unanimous vote
  • Added selectable voting styles (/voteinterm, /votestyle)
  • Client-based servers no longer put into private mode
Core & Install:
  • Corrected icon size for x32 and x48 versions
  • SDL 1.2.15
  • Remove "-r" command-line option
  • Enet 1.3.5
  • 64bit builds for Windows
  • Use APP/app
  • variables for name abstraction (simplifies forking/install renaming)
  • *nix icons stored as PNG/XPM, no ImageMagick needed in system-install process
  • all-licenses.txt added, exhaustive copyright/license breakdown
  • Basic math commands in CubeScript now accepts multiple arguments
Additional Fixed Bugs:
  • #103 - [minor] Revenge-seeking remains after team-change
  • #112 - Fix server browser sorting full servers to the bottom
  • #115 - When joining mid-match, bomber-ball affinities aren't enabled
  • #128 - Buff state not properly synchronised
  • #129 - Spawn rotation problems
  • #136 - Arena-expert and submodes are bugged (rocket & grenade select issues)
  • #132 - venus geom errors
  • #135 - ghost geom errors
  • #117 - Team-duel problems (force cycle team member after 3 wins)
  • #113 - Botbalance issues (breaks if teambalance = 2 or team imbalance is > 1)
  • #154 - Fix darkness omega bb-goal to be at same position as alpha
  • #158 - Possibility to miss first checkpoint on testchamber
  • #164 - synchronise death count in resume/frag messages
  • #165 - ghost clipping (disable odd sniper spot)
  • #148 - replaced tabs on texture gui with scrolling pages
  • #141 - can select a team while in spectator to join the game on a specific team
  • #126 - Looping focus-oriented sounds persist after target change (new camerapos code takes care of attenuation already)
  • #130 - Auth Identification Announcements (printed such that it is visible to the authing user)
  • #120 - -g option does not work with absolute paths
  • #177 - (roughly) predict time remaining in server list
  • #102 - Some flat geometry walls acts as crouch-entrance
  • #189 - overcome MAXSTRLEN limitation in N_COMMAND/N_EDITVAR by dynamically allocating and transmitting arguments
  • #197 - synchronise sticky grenade offset position across the network
  • #207 - corrected bug with projectile "in wall" checks
  • #209 - ghost texture tweaks
  • #211 - Going in water doesn't reset the "able to double jump" state
  • #210 - Map Bath has some texture errors
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Re: RELEASE: Red Eclipse v1.3 (Galactic Edition)

Postby ballist1c » 01 Sep 2012, 03:52

WOO! This is WAY more than I expected, or ever managed to see in the tracker! Can't wait to get off my phone and download this ASAP in the morning! Love ya Quin! ;)

P.S. Tournament will start next week - no longer a 1v1 tourney due to popular request

And obviously full video review in the morning, the trailer I will put out next weekend as well! :D
Image Joseph "ballist1c" Calabria

Bloodlust // Abuse // Insidious // Longest Yard 2000
ballist1c

Postby Boognish » 01 Sep 2012, 05:06

w00t! Dling right now
Boognish

Postby Remilia Scarlet » 01 Sep 2012, 05:38

Just because I saw you changed it I tested it...
Range of 45 damage o_O
^That is the highest I got a screenshot of...
Direct hit by smg secondary fire, mostly headshots (by gamespeed binding (thank you quin))...
Remilia Scarlet

Postby Calinou » 01 Sep 2012, 05:46

Remilia Scarlet {l Wrote}:Just because I saw you changed it I tested it...
-snip-
-snip-

How do you show damage dealt over head like this?
Calinou

Postby qreeves » 01 Sep 2012, 05:50

{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
/aboveheaddamage 1

And yes, it is supposed to be like that. You are using 4 ammo after all :)
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby Dratz-_C » 01 Sep 2012, 14:16

To all involved in making 1.3.1,
Congratulations! From the new features, maps and editor functions to the bug fixes, people are going to love this release. Presently, I can also stop my obsessive compulsion to download the SVN for a good while.
Cheers
Dratz-_C

Postby Karoushi » 01 Sep 2012, 15:12

Looks good, It will solve some problems I was having on my servers.

Thanks for this release and your work reeves (and everyone else too!).

Going to dl and install now, servers coming down for update.
Karoushi

Postby DrachenComputer » 01 Sep 2012, 15:14

Qreeves you should pack more well maps I next version or in a Official Mappack something like that.
DrachenComputer is >DOOM< clan Officer. Visit >DOOM< clan here: http://www.redoomclan.tk
Visit DrachenComputer on facebook.
DrachenComputer

Postby Karoushi » 01 Sep 2012, 15:25

DrachenComputer {l Wrote}:Qreeves you should pack more well maps I next version or in a Official Mappack something like that.

Maybe we can throw together a Community map pack, I will have some maps to toss in there as well.

One that needs to be polished: Nivellensem
One that needs to be finished: Spaceport
And another map I know from an old FPS that I want to remake in RE.

Hmm, just testing the 64bit .exe and it is giving me missing .dll errors. Does the bin64 folder need the bin folders dlls? Or just needs to have a different folder structure?
Tried moving the 64b exe into the bin folder (renaming old) but it still doesn't work. I think there may be a problem?
BTW I used the patch version.

Also, as far as I can tell the [weap]reloads (-1 / 0 / 1+) is saying it's range is only 0 through 1 - so do -1 and +1 features not work or is this a bug? I kind of thought [weap]reloads +-insert number here- would set an ammo count for the weapons (which is kind of what I want).
Last edited by Karoushi on 01 Sep 2012, 15:46, edited 2 times in total.
Karoushi

de- and reinstall on win 7 (64-bit)

Postby raiden » 01 Sep 2012, 15:34

A beginner question maybe, but how I can uninstall the old version properly and reinstall the new one on windows ? I remember some problems when I tried to get 1.2, coming from 1.1. Version 1.3 cannot start, because of the missing "msvcr100.dll" file? I know allready that the file comes with the Visual C++ Runtime, but couldn't solve the problem yet. I try a system restore now...
Last edited by raiden on 01 Sep 2012, 15:46, edited 1 time in total.
sorn
cutec
syndicate
metalhead

ingame: .uEn|r4iden
raiden

Postby Boognish » 01 Sep 2012, 15:40

Raiden

I am having the same problem. I haven't been able to get onto Red Eclipse because of that error, and it wont even let me onto my 1.2 client after i tried to install the new release.
Boognish

Postby Karoushi » 01 Sep 2012, 15:48

Boognish {l Wrote}:Raiden

I am having the same problem. I haven't been able to get onto Red Eclipse because of that error, and it wont even let me onto my 1.2 client after i tried to install the new release.

I simply used the patch version and copied and pasted the files into the directory, the 64bit exe was the only thing that didn't work for me. Though I should mention that the exe that still works still says v1.2 Cosmic edition in the titlebar...

Are we having issues with this release? :(

It might work if you uninstall then remove the RE directory then re-install from the full 1.3 install.

I am going to go ahead and say the patch doesn't work, the .zip patch didn't replace the 32bit .exe and therefor didn't patch the game - considering that the 64bit exe won't work for me - I don't see this patch working, I guess I will either wait for a new patch or settle for re-installing the full game...

Hover mode is still listed in the 1.2 exe and since I can't use the 64bit exe I don't see how this works.

Downloading full install to check it out.

@bonifarz yeah I tried the patch .zip and it didn't work at all. I am trying full install right now.
Last edited by Karoushi on 01 Sep 2012, 16:12, edited 1 time in total.
Karoushi

Postby bonifarz » 01 Sep 2012, 15:58

I had no problems at all on my windoze machine. I left the 1.2 install as is, copied the user data to keep a separate folder for the old version and then ran the installer. The batch file correctly launches the 64-bit build, which runs flawlessly. Only thing worth opening a ticket on the bugtracker are maybe some texture errors near glass walls on testchamber, but that could be a driver issue.
bonifarz

Postby Karoushi » 01 Sep 2012, 16:19

bonifarz {l Wrote}:I had no problems at all on my windoze machine. I left the 1.2 install as is, copied the user data to keep a separate folder for the old version and then ran the installer. The batch file correctly launches the 64-bit build, which runs flawlessly. Only thing worth opening a ticket on the bugtracker are maybe some texture errors near glass walls on testchamber, but that could be a driver issue.

Just launched after using full install and it put my monitor into a resolution that it wasn't meant for and didn't even launch the game, it could damage peoples monitors.

Eh, looks like we have some issues still with this release.

Yup, giving me nothing but problems...

Okay finally I got it to launch without issue, sheesh.

Kind of messy, but I am at menu now - testing everything else will continue to report.

Report: The 64bit .exe can't be set to the same settings (on the .exe properties) as the 32bit exe (it does execute through the full install though) so the mouse will click "through" the application - with no known bugreport/fix except setting compatibility to vista sp2(for 64bit exe).

So basically, I can launch the 64bit exe into the menu but if I click more then twice on the game it will become a black screen and refuse to function properly; the way to fix this on the 32bit exe was to set its compatibility to windows xp sp3 and the three bottom options, "disable visual themes, disable desktop composition" and "disable display scaling on high DPI settings". However the compatibility setting for win xp sp3 isn't available for the 64bit exe. So instead just set it to vista sp2, seems to work.

I don't know what the issue is with the mouse problem, my os is Win7 64bit.

Not a real issue, using the 64bit exe would be nice but the 32bit can be patched to use more then 2gb of ram so it is okay until things get sorted/figured out.

Is the "patch" for 1.31 itself? I initially thought it was for v1.2 to v1.31.

Guess it is a patch for 1.31 the time for the .exe's differs, the timestamp from the full install reclient.exe is 9/1/2012 5:17 AM and the one for the patch is 9/1/2012 6:25 AM.

Perhaps my own misunderstanding, but might want to clear it up a bit. :P

after patching still have the same problems mentioned above with the 64bit exe.
Last edited by Karoushi on 03 Sep 2012, 15:15, edited 3 times in total.
Karoushi

missing msvcr100.dll, after uninstalled version 1.2

Postby raiden » 01 Sep 2012, 17:27

Ok, I could fix my problem now, after installing the "Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x64)". This works for win 64-bit systems, if you lost the dll- file like me. "Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86)" should work for other windows systems with 32 bit. Windows seems to delete these .dll- files, when uninstalling the programm which makes use of it and there is no other, which needs them (or the whole visual c++ 2010 r p). So my problem isn't very common probably, but maybe this helps someone.
sorn
cutec
syndicate
metalhead

raiden

Postby 4rson » 01 Sep 2012, 18:27

Great work! I look forward to giving it a try this evening.
4rson

Postby raiden » 01 Sep 2012, 20:02

To give a first feedback: every change I could find in the game is useful and pleases me well. There are new maps, the moving ability was updated (couldn't really test until now), the bots behave a bit different, the interface became some really useful features (e.g. the map selection marks). There are also some bugfixes. The new 64 bit support works fine for me. There are also some new features for the editor, inclusive new skyboxes ... . I can't enumerate all news here, because of the changelog that isn't necessary also, but my first impression is that the update is worthwhile and a good next step.

Some things which attracted my attention: the map longest yard seems to has still a geometrical glitch under a "main/middle/platform" (I thought that was me in my personal version via editing mode only, but it seems to be original ?). The other thing are the louder hit sounds I recognized at first. For my personal taste it's adjusted a bit too loud. I mean that *ding*,... *ding*,*ding*, these sounds only. Could anybody explain me where this is set (probably one of the config files), or how exactly I can set this for my taste (commands or anything else)?

That is all, a nice release again :).
sorn
cutec
syndicate
metalhead

raiden

Postby Karoushi » 01 Sep 2012, 22:27

raiden {l Wrote}:To give a first feedback: every change I could find in the game is useful and pleases me well. There are new maps, the moving ability was updated (couldn't really test until now), the bots behave a bit different, the interface became some really useful features (e.g. the map selection marks). There are also some bugfixes. The new 64 bit support works fine for me. There are also some new features for the editor, inclusive new skyboxes ... . I can't enumerate all news here, because of the changelog that isn't necessary also, but my first impression is that the update is worthwhile and a good next step.

Some things which attracted my attention: the map longest yard seems to has still a geometrical glitch under a "main/middle/platform" (I thought that was me in my personal version via editing mode only, but it seems to be original ?). The other thing are the louder hit sounds I recognized at first. For my personal taste it's adjusted a bit too loud. I mean that *ding*,... *ding*,*ding*, these sounds only. Could anybody explain me where this is set (probably one of the config files), or how exactly I can set this for my taste (commands or anything else)?

That is all, a nice release again :).

Turn down sound in the sound settings?

The 64bit .exe doesn't work for me, if I click on the game it will turn black and stop working.

The bots are acting Strange for me, every once in awhile they will just stop shooting each other and start jumping around each other like they are trying to kick each other or something, but they just jump around...

EDIT: I think I fixed the bot problem I was having on my server by getting rid of the old server config and replacing it with the new example config that includes the new options and removed some old ones.

EDIT2: The 64bit.exe works if you set compatibility to vista sp2. Don't know why I didn't just try this yesterday.
Last edited by Karoushi on 03 Sep 2012, 15:11, edited 1 time in total.
Karoushi

Postby quintux_v » 02 Sep 2012, 02:58

Karoushi {l Wrote}:The bots are acting Strange for me, every once in awhile they will just stop shooting each other and start jumping around each other like they are trying to kick each other or something, but they just jump around...

Maybe it's just my lack of experience (aka noobness), but it seemed like kicking was a lot harder to do than it used to be.

ballist1c {l Wrote}:P.S. Tournament will start next week - no longer a 1v1 tourney due to popular request

And obviously full video review in the morning, the trailer I will put out next weekend as well!

I'm looking forward to seeing both the tournament videos (if you do that) and the trailer.

@qreeves: I just realized that I was playing against you (as your pseudonym) earlier... hard for me to wrap my mind around that. Just another reason to love RE.
[eX] member
aliases: quintux_v | blakthunder
quintux_v

Postby qreeves » 02 Sep 2012, 04:25

quintux_v {l Wrote}:@qreeves: I just realized that I was playing against you (as your pseudonym) earlier... hard for me to wrap my mind around that. Just another reason to love RE.

Haha, yeah. It's a bit like that. I make RE because it is a game I want to play.
qreeves

Postby Karoushi » 02 Sep 2012, 06:29

qreeves {l Wrote}:
quintux_v {l Wrote}:@qreeves: I just realized that I was playing against you (as your pseudonym) earlier... hard for me to wrap my mind around that. Just another reason to love RE.

Haha, yeah. It's a bit like that. I make RE because it is a game I want to play.

And that is the best game!

I am just going to post this download link here for a demorecording of some gameplay on my server for ballistics trailer.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/5ivrlf

BTW what is the file format that the demo recording uses?

Just wanted to update that I still get some kind of problem with the bots, I think it has something to do with them spawning outside of the map and it breaks the rest of the bots - then they just wander around the map without shooting each other.

It is kind of irritating.
Karoushi

Postby Calinou » 02 Sep 2012, 08:46

Demos are in .dmo format and can only be read by Red Eclipse (/demo demoname, can be tab-complete'd).
Calinou

Postby raiden » 02 Sep 2012, 10:02

raiden {l Wrote}:...The other thing are the louder hit sounds I recognized at first. For my personal taste it's adjusted a bit too loud. I mean that *ding*,... *ding*,*ding*, these sounds only. Could anybody explain me where this is set (probably one of the config files), or how exactly I can set this for my taste (commands or anything else)? ...

I solved this for me, by simply using "audacity", an open source music editor. In the .../sounds/sfx folder of RE there are the files damage- damage8. They come in .ogg- format, that guarantees high quality sounds. I backuped them and used the Fft- filter of audacity, to lower the volume of these spevific files, exported this back to RE and tadaa: everything is fine for me :) .
sorn
cutec
syndicate
metalhead

raiden

Postby qreeves » 02 Sep 2012, 10:06

You can edit data/sounds/sfx/packages.cfg, format of each line is:
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
addsound <filename> <volume> <radius>
qreeves