Community map pack???

Re: Community map pack [All systems are go!]

Postby xjojox » 01 May 2012, 09:44

wowie {l Wrote}:I frequently find that the ingame map downloader fails to work for me because my internet connection is so bad. Also, downloading large quantities of maps simultaneously is usually faster outside of the game anyway.

its because people are usually trying to send maps with lightmaps that are 20, 30mb. if you want to distribute a map through a server upload the lightmap needs to be small. The lightprecision needs to be raised to 256 before calculating the lightmap to make the smallest file possible.
xjojox

Postby Ulukai » 01 May 2012, 10:19

Wowie, I have taken a look at your map list, the Ares map on quadropolis is indeed the latest version till now, you can find it here as well: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=2119&p=27818&hilit=ares#p27818

My second map Conflict can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=2698&p=27380
Ulukai

Postby wowie » 02 May 2012, 01:20

Can't get to my computer today. Waaah... Might not be able to get on for awhile again. Isn't real life so annoying sometimes? I'd hate to get everyone hyped up for something then not be able to follow through properly. :( *Hoping I'll be back soon*
I lost the game.
wowie

Postby Four30Six » 02 May 2012, 01:46

I have a suggestion. What if someone were to set up a github account with a moderator(s) to whom maps can be submitted. If they are deemed desirable, the map will be added to the hub. Then, users can simply download them using a simple program into a folder using a program such as TortiseSVN and transfer them the game folder manually. Might be a little overly technical, however, if a good tutorial is written, it'd be one heck of an easy way to have a "live" map pack. I'd be willing to write the tutorial if people think this is a good idea. What do y'all think?
Four30Six

Postby wowie » 03 May 2012, 01:07

If the tutorial covered the basics of github, tortisesvn, and the mappack importing, that would be awesome. I'm assuming it would be a heavy setup/light maintenance type of thing where the setting it up is hard but keeping it running is a peice of cake (or a peice of LIE if you like overused memes) to do? Also multiple people running it would ensure that the mappack won't immediately die if someone (me) drops off the face of the earth. :) Also a good svn tut would encourage more people to try the RedE svn.

redeclipsemaptable.txt
(7.26 KiB) Downloaded 303 times

That version has all red eclipse forum maps and quadropolis maps.

I think the table is finished for now but I am probably very, very, wrong. Don't be afraid to download the table and look at it.
If a map isn't on the table and you want it on, modify the table then post the updated table or post the map and its info into this thread.

Map submission info needed:

Map Name: [Nameofthemap]
Map Author: [Firstname "nickname" Lastname]
Last Updated: {MM/DD/YYYY]
Is Completely Finished: [Yes/No]
Download Link: [Linktoalocationwherethemapcanbedownloaded]
I lost the game.
wowie

Postby 4rson » 04 May 2012, 13:29

pk1001100011, could you tell me where the clip errors are in Pumpstation. I might have time sometime next week to fix them. Apart from that, I also need to add in 2 jump pads to compensate for the loss of the super-duper-uber jump. If Damien has the time to do it, then of course I am happy for him to make the repairs.
4rson

Postby Ulukai » 04 May 2012, 15:19

4rson, I think you desperatly need to add some sounds to your otherwise great map pumpstation... It is a lot of fun and plays very well, but it feels cold and dead without some water / wind ambient sounds.
Ulukai

Postby TheLastProject » 04 May 2012, 19:27

Ulukai {l Wrote}:4rson, I think you desperatly need to add some sounds to your otherwise great map pumpstation... It is a lot of fun and plays very well, but it feels cold and dead without some water / wind ambient sounds.

Being honest, I find ambient map sounds quite annoying and wish I could disable them, but because I can't I just evade the areas that make the annoying sounds or sometimes the maps altogether (in the case of futuresport because it makes the sound at the spawn location).
Hats, Afros, wings and raptor feet. This game is showing progress indeed.
TheLastProject

Postby wowie » 05 May 2012, 00:35

http://fapthatmap.tk/ -- Are you rebuilding your site? It looks different from the last time I saw it...

Since nobody seems to be saying much about the table, I'm going to start making {edit2:} community mappacks for the game now by using suggestions in this thread {edit:} that are listed after this post to modify the table, then start downloading lots of maps and re-uploading them here organized into packs.
I lost the game.
wowie

Re: Community map pack [Needs community input]

Postby Ulukai » 05 May 2012, 15:14

TheLastProject {l Wrote}:
Ulukai {l Wrote}:4rson, I think you desperatly need to add some sounds to your otherwise great map pumpstation... It is a lot of fun and plays very well, but it feels cold and dead without some water / wind ambient sounds.

Being honest, I find ambient map sounds quite annoying and wish I could disable them, but because I can't I just evade the areas that make the annoying sounds or sometimes the maps altogether (in the case of futuresport because it makes the sound at the spawn location).

Are you kidding me? Sounds contribute to the overall atmosphere of a map...
Ulukai

Postby wowie » 05 May 2012, 15:42

I hate to sound rude but could you take The Great Ambience Debate to another thread... please? Just make a new thread and link it here/copy relevant posts there. I'm looking for maps, not discussions about maps. No hard feelings. :)
I lost the game.
wowie

Postby Ulukai » 06 May 2012, 15:28

wowie {l Wrote}:I hate to sound rude but could you take The Great Ambience Debate to another thread... please? Just make a new thread and link it here/copy relevant posts there. I'm looking for maps, not discussions about maps. No hard feelings. :)

This is not an offtopic debate... :? You're looking for maps, preferably finished ones. I'm just saying that ambient sounds are IMHO part of a finished map and that 4rson could improve his map like this to include it in your mappack.
Ulukai

Postby wowie » 06 May 2012, 16:15

You make a good point. Ok. I'll rest my case. I don't even know where to download pumpstation anyway because I can't find a link or release date... could someone provide those?
I lost the game.
wowie

Postby wowie » 06 May 2012, 16:24

(Posting from a mobile device I can't edit my previous post excuse the double post)

edit (sorta): also I don' really consider them to be "my" mappacks. They're everyone's maps. I'm just someone who though it would be a good idea to have to them all in one place.
I lost the game.
wowie

Postby D.A.M.I.E.N. » 07 May 2012, 12:13

pk1001100011 {l Wrote}:Here is version which I have from Damien, so probably the newest: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7995627/pumpstation.zip
But I'm not sure, it's 4rson's map.
As I said before, glitchy, needs some fixes and waypoints (I forget to tell before).

But I got this version from you, pk. So.. now I don't know which is newest. According to the thread "Map Showcase" viewtopic.php?f=53&t=1950&start=50 , there is pumpstation 1.1, with waypoints and corrected some things.. even I remember that 4rson worked on improvement there, but the link expired already. On the version that you sent me I fixed the clips and even some things, but there are still a little bit more of things to do.
D.A.M.I.E.N.

Postby 4rson » 07 May 2012, 17:00

There should be way points in the map already. The easiest way to check if you have the latest version is to die in the water and see if it gives you a custom death message. However, I will find time sometime in the next week or so to add some jump pads and maybe a couple of ambient sounds.
4rson

Postby Boognish » 08 May 2012, 03:02

Do you guys accept all kinds of maps? I'm working on something special for you guys ;)
Boognish

Postby wowie » 09 May 2012, 02:51

Anything goes, really; as long as it's fun. Since I'm not getting a large amount of feedback,
I'm going to start gathering up all the maps and ignoring whether or not they get a recommendation.
Also, I'm going to gather up all of the 2010/early 2011 maps into one pack so there isn't several packs with only one map in them.
I lost the game.
wowie

Re: Community map pack???

Postby srbs » 09 May 2012, 06:37

qreeves {l Wrote}:
TheLastProject {l Wrote}:
wowie {l Wrote}:A quick search reveals that unix/linux/etc has Shell script but we still don't have a mac equivelent...

MAC is Unix-based and runs Bash scripts (.sh) just fine.

Yes, but you can't execute them from Finder (the OSX file browser), which is why we use the trickery we do in the ".app"

Well, technically you can if it has +x. Then to have it run in the directory it resides in, I have used this,
#guarantee you are in the directory you are in (src: http://stackoverflow.com/a/246128)
cd -P "$(dirname "$0")"
srbs

Postby Four30Six » 09 May 2012, 08:14

Howdy all!

I got a repository set up for the map pack, although I'm still trying to learn all the in's and out's of committing changes.

It's called REMP (Red Eclipse Map...Pack... well you get the idea)--

Nonetheless it now exists:

Here is the link:

https://github.com/Four30Six/REMP

Once I get some more time, I will write up a tutorial on how to fetch this data easily. For now, if you know how to do it, have at it.

Submissions can be sent to gitremp"at"gmail"dot"com (fighting spam one day at a time).

If you are submitting maps, remember to set yourself as the author, and submit ALL 3 files required:

These files are:

<map>.cfg
<map>.mpz
<map>.png (screenshot included with save)

Let me know what y'all think. I included some random map I found to show the file structure.

Until next time,
Four30Six
Four30Six

Postby wowie » 09 May 2012, 14:44

A quick reminder: all maps except time trial maps should also include a .wpt for bot paths.

Also a little off topic but I like http://www.google.com/recaptcha/mailhide/ for posting email adresses publicly without getting spam.
http://www.google.com/recaptcha/mailhide/d?k=01UE_2txzApFKcV48JAQVF_w==&c=AQDSp1aayHN0lRadkxkYYyP7BA_1Q-QycaHEGwOZTZ8= <--That link leads to the gitremp email adress.

Edit: And also using the user content directory instead of the data files from the game would be a little better to prevent accidental overwrites to vital files:

{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
In Windows the User Content directory is at Username\My Documents\My Games\Red Eclipse. You may need the necessary rights for this folder in windows vista or windows 7.
This is a separate directory from the Installation directory C:\Program Files\RedEclipse\data but the game treats both directories as the same allowing you modify game content without replacing the original game assets.

ex: any maps you save in game are stored in Username\My Documents\My Games\Red Eclipse\maps
all default maps in the installation directory are stored in C:\Program Files\RedEclipse\data\maps
any maps you have downloaded from a server are located in Username\My Documents\My Games\Red Eclipse\temp

for Windows the user content directory is Username\My Documents\My Games\Red Eclipse
for Mac OS the user content directory is /Users/<name>/Library/Application Support/redeclipse
for Linux the user content directory is ~/.redeclipse

The file structure in the red eclipse user content directory is exactly the same as the red eclipse data directory,
in order to add a map, simply create a folder labeled "maps" inside the user content directory then drop your map in.
The same thing works for almost any other game files you want to add/replace.
Once you find your user content directory it's a good idea to create a shortcut to it and put the shortcut where you can easily find it.

Also: AWESOME!
I lost the game.
wowie

Postby Four30Six » 09 May 2012, 18:41

I'll make the appropriate changes as soon as I get home!

I wasn't 100% on which files to use or where. Thanks for the info!

-fts
Four30Six

Postby wowie » 10 May 2012, 00:44

I'm going to take all of the one's I've already gathered (the ones on the above table) and send them in via email when I have the time, then, after that,
{edit:} I can't because the combined file size is too big for my email, plus I haven't figured out how to send email attachments using my sourceforge email alias.
If you want to you can use the table to download all of the maps individually, it took me about 2 hours to do, so make sure you don't have to do anything for awhile before trying it.

everyone can submit their own maps if they want them included.
I think, with the system you are setting up, it will be easy for users to submit their own maps.
Now, with this system, everyone can submit their maps (and updates to their maps) themselves.
Emailing a group of files isn't hard. It isn't hard at all.
I'm also going to suggest again that you allow more people than just yourself write access so if one person disappears a new repository doesn't have to be made.

Also, the relevant part of the conversation that was discussed earlier now posted here, so nobody has to look for it:

Four30Six {l Wrote}:I have a suggestion. What if someone were to set up a github account with a moderator(s) to whom maps can be submitted. If they are deemed desirable, the map will be added to the hub. Then, users can simply download them using a simple program into a folder using a program such as TortiseSVN and transfer them the game folder manually. Might be a little overly technical, however, if a good tutorial is written, it'd be one heck of an easy way to have a "live" map pack. I'd be willing to write the tutorial if people think this is a good idea. What do y'all think?

wowie {l Wrote}:If the tutorial covered the basics of github, tortisesvn, and the mappack importing, that would be awesome. I'm assuming it would be a heavy setup/light maintenance type of thing where the setting it up is hard but keeping it running is a peice of cake (or a peice of LIE if you like overused memes) to do? Also multiple people running it would ensure that the mappack won't immediately die if someone (me) drops off the face of the earth. :)
redeclipsemaptable.txt
(7.26 KiB) Downloaded 297 times

As soon as this gets to the point where we're confident it will continuously run without crashing and burning anytime soon, I think it would be a good idea to start a separate thread with an organized first post that has everything on it, including a tutorial video, the submission email link, and a short information blurb stating what will happen to maps submitted, ask for a threadlock to painlessly euthanize this thread, etc, etc, etc... But that's for later. Right now we have to get it fully operational, and be sure it can be kept that way without falling apart.
I lost the game.
wowie

Re: Community map pack[Read entire thread, Submit your own m

Postby Four30Six » 11 May 2012, 08:23

Hey sorry for the delay. I'm stuck to using my phone at the moment. My system with the github setup is sitting in pieces in front of me (all easily assembled, no worries) As soon as I get back online I'll contact you wowie and find a way to get a few of your maps to test for the hub if you don't mind. You do great work by the way! Feel free to email me at the gitremp email anytime with ideas. That github and tutorial along with setting up a ubuntu server for a friend are the first things on my weekend agenda. Have a great weekend and I'll post up here as soon as things are up and running in a stable, non "crash and burn" fashion. =P

-fts
Four30Six

Re: Community map pack[Read entire thread, Submit your own m

Postby wowie » 11 May 2012, 09:10

A few of my maps? I only have one map I've made myself. All the rest in that table up there are simply links to other maps.
Also, look what I found: TortoiseGit. It's tortoiseSVN for github.
I'm going to try using it later, and, if it works, a tutorial will be simple and easy enough that I might even be able to make it..
Do whatever you want to do first. Doing something you don't like will usually just quickly kill your interest in it. :)
I lost the game.
wowie