Community map pack???

Community map pack???

Postby wowie » 25 Apr 2012, 02:53

So, I did a quick forum search using the terms "community map pack" and returned 5 unrelated results, and no related results.
So, I'm assuming this doesn't exist or if it does, it's not posted here. Here is my question: Is there a map pack made entirely of
maps that the community made that were good, but either were not good enough to make it into the official release or didn't generate
enough interest to get included?? I'm wondering how easy it would be to make a huge map pack full of community maps, complete with it's
own installer and/or detailed README so even people new to the game can find and download all of the community maps in one place? If it already
exists somewhere, tell me so I can save myself a lot of work. If it doesn't, tell me how I could get started, and mention things I may not have thought of.

Have a nice day/night(use appropriate one for your location lol)! :D
Last edited by wowie on 23 May 2012, 15:08, edited 6 times in total.
I lost the game.
wowie

Re: Community map pack???

Postby inpersona64 » 25 Apr 2012, 03:15

Unfortunately, the idea for a "Red Eclipse Map Pack" came up a couple of months ago and never really saw the light of day. Mostly because if you make an installer, it would have to work for Windows, Mac, and Linux. So that's three installers. I think that though if someone wanted to create a map pack, they could just have a folder zipped up (.zip, .7z, or .mou is fine i guess) and placed in a thread entitled Red Eclipse Map Pack #__ (with the underscore space depicting which map pack number it is. Which maps go into the map pack could be decided by perhaps the devs (Quin and any others) or by the community. If by the community, they would have to be maps that the community have deemed 'completed' entirely. This way, no one has to keep updating their maps or keep downloading updated versions of their maps (for example 1.06, 1.07, and 1.08 versions of maps are what I mean).

I do like the idea of a map pack, and i suppose installers do make it easy and probably more uniform. And I think it would be a nice tradition to start. Like every 2 months (or 3 months) a new map pack is released including all the completed maps from the last 2-3 months. And if you make a map but haven't finished it in 3 months, then it can just be included in the next map pack. :)
inpersona64

Postby TristamK » 25 Apr 2012, 12:38

Maybe then we can start decide what cards to include in the map pack ? If this solves community sure .
Sorry for my bad English. Sometimes i use google translator.
The official group of the Cube 2 Sauerbraten and Red Eclipse in vkontakte -> https://vk.com/cube_engine_news - VK support English too ;) . Also you can find all news about Cube 2\Red Eclipse in this group too
Topic with FULL information about Time-Trial . All maps , video , tutorials here . Also here you can see all best times on maps .
My youtube chanel
TristamK

Postby rocknroll237 » 25 Apr 2012, 19:14

How about releasing a map pack with its own auto-updating script (for example a .bat file)?
rocknroll237

Postby Fallen » 25 Apr 2012, 19:36

.bat is only for Windows (?)...
I think that game just should have auto-updater (option to check update in options or somewhere in main menu), and to have options to install 'additional maps' from there too.
Sentenced to the Eternal Damnation...

BloodFrontier...

+++ Sorry for my English +++
Fallen

Postby wowie » 25 Apr 2012, 20:52

Before we do all of that though it would be good to find a community member who knows at least a little bit of programming, for now start small and work towards bigger and better things, gradually, not all at once! For now it would just be a zip file with a detailed installation README. Don't suggest so many installer ideas yet until we get someone who knows how to program it. The first thing that would be needed would be a programming language and the only suggestion so far is a Batch file, which is windows exclusive as far as I know. A quick search reveals that unix/linux/etc has Shell script but we still don't have a mac equivelent... or even better, something cross-platform compatible. Start small.

Before we worry about any of that fancy junk, we need to figure out map inclusion standards. My idea as for what standards would be like for map inclusion:

The map has to be submitted for review.
Two out of three reviewers would have to pass a map.
The standards for passing a map:
-no obviously unfinished maps/parts of the map.
-Maps rated based on several standards on a five *star* scale:
--Graphics/aesthetics (rate based on looks)
--Flow/feel (perhaps tested by resetting all map textures and turning on fullbright to test only how the map plays?)
--Performance/optimization (tested by using some map as a "benchmark" to test other maps against, then compare average fps in ballistic onslaught deathmatch?)
--give ideas here. categories should be broad but not too broad.

Ideas for seperating into different smaller packs:
1(*) star map pack
2(**) star map pack
3(***) star... etc.
All star pack (top ten community maps as rated by entire community)
campaign only pack
multiplayer only pack
time-trial only pack
themed map packs (all maps included have a similar theme, e.g. urban environments, abundance/lack of a certain weapon, size of map, etc.)

We need to get a standardized rating system and pick some maps first! :lol:

Also, what about a server (or servers?) for running the map packs in multiplayer...?
I lost the game.
wowie

Postby TheLastProject » 25 Apr 2012, 21:17

wowie {l Wrote}:A quick search reveals that unix/linux/etc has Shell script but we still don't have a mac equivelent...

MAC is Unix-based and runs Bash scripts (.sh) just fine.
Hats, Afros, wings and raptor feet. This game is showing progress indeed.
TheLastProject

Postby wowie » 25 Apr 2012, 21:25

TheLastProject {l Wrote}:
wowie {l Wrote}:A quick search reveals that unix/linux/etc has Shell script but we still don't have a mac equivelent...

I'm new to programming, thanks for the clarification. :)
Edit: my link is heading to the wrong page, I must have copy/pasted the wrong url. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_shells <-- this is the right link.
Last edited by wowie on 25 Apr 2012, 21:51, edited 1 time in total.
I lost the game.
wowie

Postby qreeves » 25 Apr 2012, 21:48

TheLastProject {l Wrote}:

Yes, but you can't execute them from Finder (the OSX file browser), which is why we use the trickery we do in the ".app"

At any rate, included maps should be in a finished state, there should be no further updates for a map. That solves the need for an auto updater too.

Note that I do plan on taking the better maps that have appeared here on the forums and considering them for inclusion in the main game.
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby wowie » 25 Apr 2012, 22:10

qreeves {l Wrote}:Note that I do plan on taking the better maps that have appeared here on the forums and considering them for inclusion in the main game.

My intention with this was making something that would possibly be a place to easily find "good, but not quite good enough" maps.
Having a separate map pack or packs for these would, in my mind at least, solve 3 problems:
A. adding maps in between releases, since releases tend to be many months apart from each other
B. as mentioned above, a place for maps that don't make it into the official game, but were still worth mentioning... like deleted scenes from a movie.
C. keeps the main game download size low, for people with slower internet connections that just want to hurry up and play now after discovering the game, and worry about extras later

Knowing that someone has tried this before spurred my interest in doing this.
Originally I thought this thread would die quickly, but apparently the demand is there (look at how active this thread is! :) )so I don't see a reason not to try it out.

Edit: Also I like the points about finished maps and not needing an updater. If this goes any further without being shot down, I'll have to remember that.

Maybe I'm just too ambitious and I need just need to focus myself elsewhere. I'm starting to get the feeling that I'm annoying or...something.
Should I just log off right now and quit posting for a week or two to preserve everyone's sanity? :?
I lost the game.
wowie

Postby inpersona64 » 25 Apr 2012, 23:25

You were on point when you mentioned not including every single completed map in the main RE releases. I think people should always have the option to download what they want to specifically have in the game :D Anyways, if I may chime in on your ideas, they are pretty elaborate (not that its a problem), but I don't think we have to judge every map. I think all we need is enough people to generally say that the map is 'completed'. From there, perhaps every so often, Quin (or his appointed associate) takes the 'completed' maps from the forums (any and all of them) and zips them up, and reposts them in a "Map Pack" thread or something similar. That thread will probably most likely get sticky-ed so we'll always know where to get the latest map pack.

If we are getting started, I can probably say for the most part, the first Map Pack will have the most maps included :lol:. From the time trial maps that have been created, to the number of general maps that have been posted here over the last 8 to 10 months. All depends on how far back we want to include maps.
inpersona64

Postby wowie » 26 Apr 2012, 04:17

I just decided that I liked the idea of releasing map packs based on the timeframe that they were released in. The first packs would be several date-based packs released at once using the every 3 months = 1 pack suggestion from sona64.

example: all maps released between 1/1/2010 and 3/31/2010 would be a map pack. All 4/1/2010-6/30/2010 maps would be a map pack. All blablah etc. you get the idea.

Problem is, what if a pack is released then a map in it gets included in the next official release?
I lost the game.
wowie

Postby wowie » 26 Apr 2012, 04:18

(posting from mobile w/short char limit ugh)
Do you edit the pack contents or no? Should every pack include all maps released in the set timespan regardless of official inclusion, if only to prevent confusion and need to update packs after release? Before anything proceeds, the bugs need to be ironed out first.

Also, I still think it would be a good idea for some minimum inclusion standard... even if it's only "map is finished and can be played in an onslaught deathmatch"
I lost the game.
wowie

Postby inpersona64 » 26 Apr 2012, 05:21

That would cause a bit of a dilemma. I guess this is why the person putting together all these maps in the pack(s) will work closely with Quin and let him know which maps are going into the map pack. This way, Quin can tell that person whether to add the map in the pack, or to not to (if it's gonna be included in the next RE release).

BTW, I keep bringing Quin's name up, but it doesn't have to be him that makes the decisions for map packs. I'm just assuming that he'd have some say in the map packs.

And I believe every map will have it's standard. I personally don't do onslaught lol. So I wouldn't be one to judge from an onslaught DM. But I've always believed that every map included in RE has a strong point in one of the gametypes. For example, Spacetech and Longestyard are good for regular DM, Linear is great for CTF, Dropzone is great for Bomber-Ball, and Isolation is great for Defend the Flag. I'd judge a map by it's strongest gametype. Because I know every map maker has something special in mind that usually caters more towards a particular gametype, even though every map is supposed to be playable on all gametypes. But I wouldn't be a judge anyways. So however maps are judged is fine with me.
inpersona64

Postby wowie » 27 Apr 2012, 22:37

Here is what I think I might possibly do:
Find all of the maps I can.
Include community maps that have been approved by at least two members of this forum as "complete." (counting myself of course)
Organize them into mappacks by date created, then in alphabetical order by map name.
Organize the maps into mappacks based on 3 month intervals, e.g. all maps released between 1/1/2010 and 3/31/2010 would make up a single mappack.
Mappack naming scheme: redeclipsemappack[month of pack release date]-[day of pack release date]-[year of pack release date]
Pack maps into a folder with a README that gives detailed instructions on how to install the pack, as well as listing the creation date of every map in the pack next to its name in a list.
If a map is already included in the main game, don't include it in a pack, but make a note in the mappack README saying "This map is included in the official version of Red Eclipse."
Update a mappack if a map in the pack gets put into the main game.
If a map is found that was created at an earlier date but the corresponding mappack for that date is already released, do not update the mappack. Instead, add it to the newest mappack in progress.

README teamplate:

{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
Thank you for downloading the [month/day/year] Red Eclipse Map Pack! Here are your installation instructions:

In Windows the User Content directory is at Username\My Documents\My Games\Red Eclipse. You may need the necessary rights for this folder in windows vista or windows 7.
This is a separate directory from the Installation directory C:\Program Files\RedEclipse\data but the game treats both directories as the same allowing you modify game content without replacing the original game assets.

ex: any maps you save in game are stored in Username\My Documents\My Games\Red Eclipse\maps
all default maps in the installation directory are stored in C:\Program Files\RedEclipse\data\maps
any maps you have downloaded from a server are located in Username\My Documents\My Games\Red Eclipse\temp

for Windows the user content directory is Username\My Documents\My Games\Red Eclipse
for Mac OS the user content directory is /Users/<name>/Library/Application Support/redeclipse
for Linux the user content directory is ~/.redeclipse

Take all of the files out of this mappack and place them in your user content directory. Now pat yourself on the back, you have just installed your mappack!

Maps released between [starting date of the quarter year] and [ending date of the quarter year]:

[mapname] -Released [month/day/year] -by [author name]-Included in this map pack
[mapname -Released [month/day/year] -by [author name]-Included in Red Eclipse release version [version number]

For the most up to date instructions on installing your map pack, visit http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/redeclipse/index.php?title=Map::user_content

Sooo... Where, currently, are any huge repositories of maps besides this forum and quadropolis? I want to make sure I cover all of my bases before I start gathering anything together.
This system I think is simple without being too verbose. Also, would anyone willing to help with this or am I going it alone? What are everyone's thoughts on this so far?
Last edited by wowie on 01 May 2012, 01:11, edited 1 time in total.
I lost the game.
wowie

Postby inpersona64 » 28 Apr 2012, 04:19

pk1001100011 {l Wrote}:For some nice maps look here: http://fapthatmap.tk

A couple more maps that should be added:

Pumpstation
by 4rson

Quad Arena
by Wazubaba

Escape by Goku (I believe there are two versions of it)
inpersona64

Postby wowie » 28 Apr 2012, 04:34

@pk

Q1: I like the internet because it's anonymous... My name is Billy Bob Joe Bob Steve Bob John Bob Smith Bob Harris, The 3rd, Jr., P.H.D. ...Does that answer your question?
Q2: I'm not on IRC... what is IRC? (Dumb question, I know, but it's a legit question; I really don't know the answer.)
Q3: Nope never played RedE once in my entire life. (A stupid question deserves an equally stupid answer! :lol: )
Q4: My online nickname is usually wowie or some variation of it in most games. Usually though I don't play online much because my current internet connection is a disgrace to modern technology.

What is that website?
Do you own that website?
Do you know how to develop websites?

Before you all start suggesting maps (I'm counting all of those suggestions as approvals btw) I want the approval of the devs themselves before I go ahead on this.
It's obvious that the community supports me on this... but do the devs support this? I don't want to barge in, hop onto the couch, and act like I own this place. That would be rude.
The blueprints are ready... Devs... May I respectfully ask for your permission before I start building a new wing onto this fun little house?
I lost the game.
wowie

Re: Community map pack [My finger is on the launch button]

Postby wowie » 28 Apr 2012, 07:44

Cool. Maybe if we get permission to launch this thing you could do the mappack hosting for it... :D
That's IRC? Wow am I dumb. No I'm not on the RedE IRC... how would I get on it? (I think a box of rocks would be able to figure all of this out faster than I can.)
Also, I'm going to be busy and completely away from internet for the next 24-60 hours (between 1 and 2+1/2 days), see you all later. :)
I lost the game.
wowie

Postby TristamK » 28 Apr 2012, 12:11

http://fapthatmap.tk - god table . i like it .
pk1001100011 {l Wrote}:@inpersona64: Thank you. :)
You can find there a few maps that you can find only when you meet RM[Temka] or TristamK playing

yes . I create and remade much maps for time-trial . If I'm will not lazy - i can create later global topic with all maps that i have .I have ...mmmm... 10 . maybe 6 finished maps for time-trial .But other maps must be fixed . Also you can download here youtu.be/JYohu1KvnBk my last map :P .
And some fixes to table -
All heaven's maps last version 1.5 . date 22.01.2012
ItsSlideTime-LR4 - last v. 1.0 . date 09.03.2012
M1 . version 1.0 .date 25.04.2012 i think
Race 7 - rename to r7 . version - v.2.0 . date - 16.03.2012
P.S. If some one have suggestion to HAWK - say me . Because i want did update :P
EDIT1. and you forgot about map LavaFall . Yesterday i finish last version . today i will post that in topic
The official group of the Cube 2 Sauerbraten and Red Eclipse in vkontakte -> https://vk.com/cube_engine_news - VK support English too ;) . Also you can find all news about Cube 2\Red Eclipse in this group too
Topic with FULL information about Time-Trial . All maps , video , tutorials here . Also here you can see all best times on maps .
My youtube chanel
TristamK

Postby TristamK » 28 Apr 2012, 14:43

pk1001100011 - M1 created by [RM]Temka =)
My youtube chanel
TristamK

Postby fawstoar » 28 Apr 2012, 18:32

+1 for Pumpstation.

Actually +900000000, THAT MAP NEEDS TO BE IN THE ROTATION, STAT!
-Wasabi
Map flythroughs, RE trailers, etc: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL67578B2BCD99FB7B
fawstoar

Postby qreeves » 29 Apr 2012, 01:46

Of course I give my blessing for this idea to go ahead. As I've said, I would like to review the list so I can determine which ones will be going into the game before you put them into a pack. Heck, I'll even host the packs for you in our Sourceforge repository and maybe put a link to them on the website.
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby wowie » 30 Apr 2012, 22:33

qreeves {l Wrote}:Of course I give my blessing for this idea to go ahead. As I've said, I would like to review the list so I can determine which ones will be going into the game before you put them into a pack. Heck, I'll even host the packs for you in our Sourceforge repository and maybe put a link to them on the website.

Wow... cooool! I think I'm going to try finding and gathering some maps now.

edit: I almost completed a basic database... but then I accidentally closed it w/o saving... I feel so dumb right now. Trying again now.

edit 2: My database software hates me right now so I'm going to do it the old fashioned way... .txt documents.
Also that way when I post it everyone will be able to edit it while having next to zero tech skills...
All that is needed is the ability to know which date and/or letter comes first in the calendar/alphabet... and the ability to use a keyboard.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here it is: redeclipsemaptable.txt

It's nowhere near complete, and I plan on working on it a lot myself, but anyone is welcome to add to it and then post the updated version.
Place entries in order of date created. If multiple maps share the same creation date, list them alphabetically from a to z.
Once I feel this table is close to complete, I'll begin downloading all of the maps and compiling them into packs.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm working on the table right now as you read this until the next time I edit this post.

redeclipsemaptable.txt

I just finished adding all of the current quadropolis maps.
I'm not going to be on the computer for the rest of the day.
I may still post later today via mobile garbage, but I am done modifying this list for the day.
Last edited by wowie on 03 May 2012, 01:04, edited 1 time in total.
I lost the game.
wowie

Re: Community map pack [All systems are go!]

Postby xjojox » 01 May 2012, 04:20

If you have maps that you want people to play the easiest solution would to just put them on a custom map server so that people could vote for them. The server will automatically send the map files to people that dont already have it.

You would need to make the maps have unique version names (mymapv123)
And make sure the lightmaps are not making the mapfiles so large that people can't download them quickly.(lightprecision 256)
xjojox

Re: Community map pack [All systems are go!]

Postby wowie » 01 May 2012, 04:46

I frequently find that the ingame map downloader fails to work for me because my internet connection is so bad. Also, downloading large quantities of maps simultaneously is usually faster outside of the game anyway. You do make a good point about version numbering, but that shouldn't be a problem because a map needs to be finished completely before it is added. I wonder, though, who would be willing to run a massivemappack server? Also, is it possible to make custom maps show up properly in a rotation?
I lost the game.
wowie