Variable Tinkerers

Re: Variable Tinkerers

Postby srbs » 02 Oct 2011, 21:21

qreeves {l Wrote}:It might be better to pre-build the list rather than use loopfiles in the gui itself (as it would do this every frame).

YAY! I'm not the only one here concerned with these types of things.. Then again, it is quin and not some random scripter.
srbs

Postby ZeroKnight » 03 Oct 2011, 00:39

srbs {l Wrote}:YAY! I'm not the only one here concerned with these types of things.. Then again, it is quin and not some random scripter.

I did say I put it together rather quickly, not to mention I AM learning as I go :/ All of this is new to me, and everything I now know has been learned through doing all I have here.

But now that I think about it, how exactly is it being looped every frame? Correct me please, if I am wrong, but newgui creates the GUI, and showgui shows it. Unless I'm misunderstanding, showgui isn't re-running that loop every time, it just gets run once in newgui and what makes it up is "saved", which showgui then shows. Unless showgui actually re-runs verbatim what you used in newgui, I don't see how this would constantly loop.

Please, instead just of assuming I'm some "random scripter" who isn't concerned with optimization and efficiency, tell me WHY what I'm doing isn't the best way. I run RE at an average ~20 FPS, and any other game at equally poor FPS. Why would I NOT be concerned with optimization?
[ Github ][ WazuClan -- irc.wazuclan.com #wazuclan ][ Zero's Archive of RE Extensions, Scripts, WeapMods & More! ]
ZeroKnight

Postby sireus » 03 Oct 2011, 21:20

ZeroKnight {l Wrote}:Unless showgui actually re-runs verbatim what you used in newgui

Exactly that. AFAIK, this is mainly because it makes things so incredibly simple. You don't have to store or reference anything within the engine (not between frames, anyway). For example, if you use a giuslider, instead of somehow storing a pointer to the value, you just use $whatever in the menu script, and the slider will update whenever the value changes, because it actually updates all the time. But most importantly, this takes away the need for a complex notification chain which would be required to tell each element (from a simple checkbox to an entire menu) when it needs to update itself. This way, you can modify menus completely "on the fly".
sireus

Postby ZeroKnight » 04 Oct 2011, 17:06

Thank you, sireus, for explaining that. I feel rather silly for not realizing that, but I'm glad I know for sure now. I'll be trying to avoid this in the future. (except for where it's necessary, of course~)

Though I am curious, exactly how much extra resources would be wasted running that loop every time?
[ Github ][ WazuClan -- irc.wazuclan.com #wazuclan ][ Zero's Archive of RE Extensions, Scripts, WeapMods & More! ]
ZeroKnight

Postby qreeves » 05 Oct 2011, 01:47

Quite a lot because it requires accessing the hard drive (or its cache).
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby srbs » 08 Oct 2011, 23:35

ZeroKnight {l Wrote}:Please, instead just of assuming I'm some "random scripter" who isn't concerned with optimization and efficiency, tell me WHY what I'm doing isn't the best way. I run RE at an average ~20 FPS, and any other game at equally poor FPS. Why would I NOT be concerned with optimization?

If you script, you can be considered a random scripter, just like quin and I are. I did not mean to single you our for any reason, I was just excited that other people exist who still optimize scripts for such an odd language. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

ZeroKnight {l Wrote}:But now that I think about it, how exactly is it being looped every frame? Correct me please, if I am wrong, but newgui creates the GUI, and showgui shows it. Unless I'm misunderstanding, showgui isn't re-running that loop every time, it just gets run once in newgui and what makes it up is "saved", which showgui then shows. Unless showgui actually re-runs verbatim what you used in newgui, I don't see how this would constantly loop.

newgui stores the text in the arguments, then showgui executes it every frame

srbs
srbs

Postby ZeroKnight » 23 Oct 2011, 00:45

ZeroKnight

Postby Architect » 05 Nov 2011, 22:02

how do i make plasma nade?
i forgot
Architect