POLL: What's your favorite weapon of Red Eclipse?

What's your favorite weapon of Red Eclipse?

Melee (Fist & Kick)
4%
Sword
9%
Pistol
5%
Flamer
9%
Shotgun
23%
SMG
13%
Plasma
6%
Rifle
25%
Rocket
3%
Grenade
4%

Total votes : 141

Re: POLL: What's your favorite weapon of Red Eclipse?

Postby Vaecrius » 05 Feb 2012, 07:07

Voted plasma, the only spammable weapon in the game, as a close second to instagib rifle. The full-auto slow-rapid-fire projectiles are perfect since I basically can't hit fire without moving the cursor, and the altfire makes up for any impracticality with pure lulz.

Getting over my least favourites first, in descending order of hate:
Pistol - between the semiauto clicking and the low power it's completely useless to me.
Shotgun - I don't understand how it works. There's a lot of stuff coming out but it's not clear what causes damage and what doesn't, so all I know is it's a near-instakill at point blank perfectly lined up, but I have no other use for it except distraction and cover fire. [EDIT: So it turns out the projectile is just really slow. Same place as before, which is odd since the flak cannon is my best weapon in UT.]
Rocket - again I don't understand how it works. Every so often I'll hit nearby geometry, other times it seems to do no damage. Looks hella impressive though (though that does give a surviving target plenty of concealment)
Rifle - I almost cried when I realized how weak it was compared to insta. [EDIT: ...and then, long after posting this, I learned about the splash damage, which turns it from an underpowered sniper weapon into a perfectly decent medium-plus-range primary.]

And the runners-up to the love:
SMG - my third. Love how you can do headshots with this. :D [EDIT: now my second. A bit better at cover fire than plasma when you're assisting a flag cap.]
[EDIT: Rifle - my third, with plasma just below it. Adjust numbers below accordingly.]
Flamer - my fifth. (I should point out that my favourite classes in TF2 are pyro, medic and heavy...)
Grenade - my fourth [EDIT: I've lost track of numbers so in any case I'm bumping this down somewhere below flamer]. Few people ever get killed by it outside of sticking to people and total flukes, but it's great for making people run away.
Sword - I generally ignore it if it's not medieval so I've got no real comment. Love the HUGE reach though.
Last edited by Vaecrius on 15 Feb 2012, 19:14, edited 3 times in total.
Vaecrius

Postby inpersona64 » 05 Feb 2012, 08:12

Ah, another Plasma lover, thats good :) I like all the weapons in this game in general (apart from the flamer since it's the only weapon that noobs can kill me with lol).

In regard to your other comments on the other weapons, I take it you're pretty new to Red Eclipse. If I may, let me just say the pistol, if possible, you should try to make your best friend. Get much practice with it because you'll always have it (if its not Insta, Medieval, or Ballistic). The shotgun takes more work and it works much similar to the Sword; need to be close to do damage. It works medium range but if you're in close, you'll have no problem taking down the competition. The flak cannon on the shotgun is something you have to get used to because once you learn the "geometry" of the maps in this game, you can get some sweet kills with its secondary around corners. The Rocket...I don't have much to say about it. you just aim at a target and if you're spot on, its a one-shot-kill.

I think the plasma is MY personal Achilles heel, and I try to use it more because I'm the worst with it. I would suggest you try to use weapons that you aren't so great with; that way you can be a better well rounded player.

(BTW i switched my vote from SMG to Rifle because SMG kind of sucks to me right now and the Shotgun is my close second cause i'm getting better with it)
inpersona64

Postby Remilia Scarlet » 13 Feb 2012, 19:36

Sword or pistol...
Sword for it's high damage but not game-braking qualities, you still require skill to use it;
Pistol because it has a good damage output, decent clip and allows you to shoot almost as fast as you can click. It is also accurate and shots fired travel at reasonable speeds. Due to it's low cooldown time between shots it is also not punishing to miss, making it an effective choice in hover or jetpack mutator matches. As with the sword, you also require skill to use it effectively.

Otherwise the SMG is decent and I like even the normal rifle for it's splash damage. I think the Plasma is really easy to dodge(even the alt-fire) but that's just my opinion. The weapon I'm weakest against is the Flamer, but that seems to be pretty much universal.
Remilia Scarlet

Postby Headmew » 28 Feb 2012, 01:35

Actually i don't have a favourite weapon since I like to change and try alternate fires.
Headshot!
Headmew

Postby Fallen » 28 Feb 2012, 17:35

hmm... My favourite weapon... It must be RIFLE, I use it most times and it's easy to make headshot with it.

Anyway with mele I can't kill from a distance, and it's FPS - FirstPersonShooter, not FirstPersonNinja (or TTP, because there's an option to use TPP).
Sword - same as with mele.
Pistol - I like it, very powerfull weapon, but it's too hard to kill from high distance, anyway it's good with connection in Rifle.
Flammer -big misstake, this weapon shouldn't exist in that game. Flammer is overpowered, and... it's too easy to kill someone... You need only to hold left mouse button and run via whole map... Higher power (about 50%), less ammo (to about 30% of current) and slower reload (about 40-50%) should make this weapon more balanced with another weapons.
Shotgun - It's very good rifle man killer - easy to kill ppl with rifle, another is not too hard to kill too, flammer is not hard enemy against it, but I really don't like it's weapon model (sorry!). I like when shotgun in game looks more like in Duke Nukem 3D :D
SMG - ideal weapon, very fast, reload is fast too, but it's knockback and ammo clip is too big... Knockback should be about 40% less by default, and hav 40% more with critical hits. Btw. It's hard to make headshot with one shoot, but with few bullets it's not that hard to do.
Plasma - primary shoot is good, secondary - I think that loading higher plasma ball should be a little bit faster.
Rifle - as I said - it's brillant weapon, ideal shoots, zoom is beatiful on high distances.
Rocket - I don't like it, just wrong game. secondary shoot is more smillar to usage of rocket in Half-Life 2. It will be good ofc in campaing (if any will be done...), but I think that in deatmatch or smth is not too good, it makes game more unbalanced, it gives frags for luck.
Grenade - ofc it's good in small maps - but not only! It can really help you if you are runing with a Rifle, and enemy with shotgun or smg is very close to you (anyway don't forgot about it secondary usage - making terrorist from enemy :D)

I think that there should be more weapons, maybe with smillar usage of current weapons, but with other looks and mixed primary from one weapon and secondary from another ;)

Sorry for that spam.
Sentenced to the Eternal Damnation...

BloodFrontier...

+++ Sorry for my English +++
Fallen

Postby inpersona64 » 28 Feb 2012, 17:56

Fallen {l Wrote}:Flammer -big misstake, this weapon shouldn't exist in that game. Flammer is overpowered, and... it's too easy to kill someone... You need only to hold left mouse button and run via whole map...

Grenade - ofc it's good in small maps - but not only! It can really help you if you are runing with a Rifle, and enemy with shotgun or smg is very close to you (anyway don't forgot about it secondary usage - making terrorist from enemy :D)

I think that there should be more weapons, maybe with smillar usage of current weapons, but with other looks and mixed primary from one weapon and secondary from another ;)

Sorry for that spam.

About the flamer, this is why I tell people the only skill involved in use of the Flamer is the ability to HOLD DOWN THE LEFT MOUSE BUTTON. That's it. I'm pretty sure you develop that skill once you learn to drag and drop lol

I like to think of the grenade in this game like the grenade in Halo, it makes great use when used in conjunction with any weapon because you can bring someone's health down to half or more, and coupled with the residual damage, it'll take you less shots to complete the job :)

The weapon I had an idea for, and that will probably be brought up in a future thread is some "dual" weapon. That is super unique in its own way and would be a nice addition to the weapons we have currently in this game. We've got a sword, a plasma pistol, a sniper rifle, submachine gun, rocket launcher, grenade, vortex weapon, automatic shotgun, shrapnel launcher, and semi-automatic and burst pistols. And a flamer thrower. A dual type of weapon is very much different from the rest. The only problem is I'm having trouble thinking of what these dual weapons fire. Again, this isn't the thread for ideas, so maybe I post in a recent one or just open a new thread.
inpersona64

Postby Vaecrius » 29 Feb 2012, 09:50

You're kinda forgetting the other skill in "not getting killed before you can do any significant damage if you don't crit". It's fallen quite some ways down my list the more I realize the vast bulk of my kills with it are lucky flukes on already-injured targets and I've never managed a "clean" kill with it except at some significant opportunity cost...

Is there anything to this "dual" weapon concept other than the word? I thought you were talking about wielding 2 existing weapons at once in the other thread but here it's like it should be a brand new weapon on its own... like a double-barreled shotgun or something? Or something that shoots out of both ends and you can take out someone in front of and behind you?
Vaecrius

Postby ram » 01 Mar 2012, 06:06

The SMG is pretty good. The pistol is not bad even at long distances. The rate of fire on both is good.
The rifle takes a long time between shots and perhaps doesn't have enough knockdown power.
The plasma gun is near useless. The 'projectile' speed is much too slow.
ram

Postby Dessard » 03 Mar 2012, 18:34

My favorite is the Rifle - because I play mostly igib whenever possible - but also in normal. It was the SMG, but since the update it kind of feels weak, although it works well still. I mainly just use whatever is on hand though, to try to be good at all of them.
Dessard

Postby wowie » 15 Mar 2012, 23:46

I think the rifle/shotgun combo is the best all around loadout. (for me anyways...)
But...I use grenades wherever I can... games will be the only place where I'm a good chef. (if there were an award for grenade cooki-- wait, that other game I played did have achievements for that... I've got the timing mostly down for this game's throws already, now I just need to compensate for the major-league-fastball-pitch throw speed :) )

Boom!
I lost the game.
wowie

Postby ClassyRain » 28 Mar 2012, 06:16

Rifle is great; it's explode gives alot of hitpush and moderate damage, and I don't have to aim that well to use it, and it can be used for both short range and long range, and because a headshot is a 1-hit kill, AND because it's awesome <3
ClassyRain

Postby wowie » 01 May 2012, 02:10

A random online person taught me some proper swashbuckling... My new fave weapon is the SWORD. Everyone either runs either to or from you at top speed whenever they see you.
It's intense, up close, in-your-face, personal... and... heart pounding AWESOME to use once you know how to do it*.
Just make sure to switch to something else with more range before taking on flamers otherwise you're going to be over-done like a bad steak before you even know what happened.

*You can only effectively wield it whe your ping is less than 200. I had good ping for one day this week, and it was, in a word: Epic. :cool:
I lost the game.
wowie

Postby spainach.12 » 14 May 2012, 16:11

Well, I had a tough time since I like all weapons save for the rifle (primarily because I'm one of those trigger-happy, pyromanic, berserk-going people and a slow precise weapon like the rifle doesn't suit me).

I like the flamer for its wide range, but I find it too clumsy to use and without style to use on single opponent situations.

The pistol feels great and I especially love that *bang* sound. Quick reloads and fast fire rate makes it a rather nice weapon. But it's difficult to use against other guns.

The smg is an amazing weapon. But I think it's rather easy to use by just spraying it around. I usually get random headshots with it.

The shotgun's also a favorite of mine. Nice splash, good bounce which makes for easy targeting. But there's too little ammo for my taste. I use it mostly though for finding the distance between me and the opponent.

The sword does great damage, but difficult to aim on a moving target. And it makes me feel cool with the impulse+slash move. B)

I find the plasma the most versatile weapon of all. I use the Right click to push people to a corner and then slash them with the sword which looks cool, or just lead them to fall or towards a group of zombies or allies. The left click makes a good replacement for the pistol with better damage (I think). When people get stuck in the plasma ball, I use a flamer to make their deaths much faster (just for fun) or to chase those that got away with a sword/smg/shotgun whichever one I have.

Well, I suppose you already know what I voted for.
spainach.12

Postby DijitaL » 15 May 2012, 01:44

Plasma blaster!

rawr!
DijitaL

Postby TristamK » 15 May 2012, 16:42

My prefer combination rifle + smg . I did that choice after playing quake live . SMG work here like light gun from quake . Have stun effect + good damage . And i like rifle for splash damage and good range .
Sorry for my bad English. Sometimes i use google translator.
The official group of the Cube 2 Sauerbraten and Red Eclipse in vkontakte -> https://vk.com/cube_engine_news - VK support English too ;) . Also you can find all news about Cube 2\Red Eclipse in this group too
Topic with FULL information about Time-Trial . All maps , video , tutorials here . Also here you can see all best times on maps .
My youtube chanel
TristamK

Postby ctdabomb » 15 May 2012, 17:09

for the rifle, I like aiming with the scope and then shooting without the scope so I can make longer range shots.
Some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help smiling when you shove them down the stairs.
ctdabomb

Postby DroiD » 20 May 2012, 13:08

lol i haxed the variables so i can play smg insta with bots XD
even tho i tryed rifle automatic with explosion
rockets with no firing delay and no self damage
swords that you can throw...
but i had more fun with the smg and anyway the smg would win
DroiD

Postby jboakajnosko » 24 May 2012, 20:54

I'm surprised that so few like the rocket - it's a one-shot frag!
jboakajnosko

Postby ctdabomb » 24 May 2012, 20:58

jboakajnosko {l Wrote}:I'm surprised that so few like the rocket - it's a one-shot frag!

I never even git a rocket. and then when i do, someone kills me right away :(
Some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help smiling when you shove them down the stairs.
ctdabomb

Postby wowie » 24 May 2012, 21:11

It's also a bullet magnet. KILL THE GUY HE HAS A ROCKET DIE-DIE-DIE-DIE-DIE!!!!!!!!!!!111 :p You have very little time to think about who you want to kill with your one shot frag, because it's very rare that nobody at all sees you pocketing it. Odds are there's also 15 other guys who want that rocket just as badly as, if not more than, you do! :lol:
I lost the game.
wowie

Postby inpersona64 » 24 May 2012, 23:01

ctdabomb {l Wrote}:
jboakajnosko {l Wrote}:I'm surprised that so few like the rocket - it's a one-shot frag!

I'm sorry :( I know I attributed to this.

wowie {l Wrote}:It's also a bullet magnet. KILL THE GUY HE HAS A ROCKET DIE-DIE-DIE-DIE-DIE!!!!!!!!!!!111 :p You have very little time to think about who you want to kill with your one shot frag, because it's very rare that nobody at all sees you pocketing it. Odds are there's also 15 other guys who want that rocket just as badly as, if not more than, you do! :lol:

You are right. And I have found one way to remedy this. I learned this from years of studying the bots (and by years, I mean since RE's first release). Basically you pick up the rocket and more often than not you are already holding some weapon (like the pistol) so you immediately switch to the pistol or other weapon to conceal your one-hit kill weapon. Then when you find the right time, you whip it out and let it loose on some unsuspecting enemy. This is why I love spectating matches, you learn so much; not just from players, but from bots too :D So no one really knows you have the rocket until you pull it out. And when you pull it out, you'd better be ready to use it because you will (as wowie has stated) be fired upon to obtain the rocket.
inpersona64

Postby wowie » 24 May 2012, 23:44

I've never had a chance to try that because, as I've said, I'm usually not alone when I pick it up.
I am aware of that strategy though and try to watch for it when there are small numbers of players on a big map.
I usually get more kills from killing people trying to pick up the rocket than from actually using the rocket myself. :p
I lost the game.
wowie

Postby Iridium » 18 Jun 2012, 01:47

ctdabomb {l Wrote}:

Learn the maps.

Shotgun + Plasma combo for me.
Iridium

Postby inpersona64 » 20 Jun 2012, 23:16

Iridium {l Wrote}:
ctdabomb {l Wrote}:Learn the maps.

+1
You should at the very least know the layouts of the most popular maps, perhaps not ALL of them :P

You can guess my combo from my signature :)
Rifle + Shotgun
inpersona64

Postby Iridium » 21 Jun 2012, 17:50

inpersona64 {l Wrote}:
Iridium {l Wrote}:
ctdabomb {l Wrote}:Learn the maps.

+1
You should at the very least know the layouts of the most popular maps, perhaps not ALL of them :P

You can guess my combo from my signature :)
Rifle + Shotgun

Heh, indeed. Love your videos BTW.

I actually land the most hits with the rifle, but the amount of damage it does nullifies that, and of course the ridiculous reload time. So, I chose my second and third choices.
I think a weapon that has the least amount of ammo per round out of all the weapons in the game should be really powerful, which the rifle is not.

IMO, the instagib rifle should replace the normal rifle, which would nullify its other shortcomings, and the instagib rifle should be a one-shot-kill sort of deal, à la Quake Live's railgun.
-Iridium
Iridium