Serano's old Forest

Re: Serano's old Forest

Postby Serano » 29 Jun 2016, 07:29

J_128 {l Wrote}:When are you going to release this to the public? :)

When it's done. ;) Maybe next month, unless I'm making more levels than I'm currently planning...
SuperTux Team Member
Serano

Postby Serano » 09 Jul 2016, 16:05

It's done! I'm looking forward for your ideas/feedback/suggestions. :)
Attachments
forestlevels.zip
(137.6 KiB) Downloaded 488 times
SuperTux Team Member
Serano

Postby brmbrmcar » 09 Jul 2016, 16:32

I played the first level. I found it annoying that you can't turn back at certain points.
brmbrmbrmbrmbrmbrmcar
brmbrmcar

Postby Serano » 09 Jul 2016, 16:55

brmbrmcar {l Wrote}:I played the first level. I found it annoying that you can't turn back at certain points.

Okay, but isn't that the case for most of the levels in the game?
SuperTux Team Member
Serano

Postby brmbrmcar » 09 Jul 2016, 19:34

In almost every other level I can turn back completely at any stage. I think this should be a guideline.
brmbrmbrmbrmbrmbrmcar
brmbrmcar

Postby RustyBox » 10 Jul 2016, 11:59

These levels are really good! I like the atmosphere of the levels. :)
I also like that you are using the forest variant of Jumpys, because I personally really like them.
SuperTux Level+Worldmap Designer, Artist and Story Writer
RustyBox

Postby Serano » 10 Jul 2016, 12:21

RustyBox {l Wrote}:I also like that you are using the forest variant of Jumpys, because I personally really like them.

I had some reluctance using them, because I find the forest variant quite ugly... But I'm glad that you like it. :)
SuperTux Team Member
Serano

Postby mteufel » 10 Jul 2016, 12:24

brmbrmcar {l Wrote}:In almost every other level I can turn back completely at any stage. I think this should be a guideline.

No, it shouldn't be as long as you can collect all bonuses and enter all secret areas. This is perfectly possible in this worldmap/levelset.

Serano {l Wrote}:It's done! I'm looking forward for your ideas/feedback/suggestions. :)

Ideas, feedback, and suggestions are important here, since we plan to include at least some of these levels in the revamped Forest world.
Let's start with the positive things:

• follows the style guidelines except in one point (water)
  • uses new features in a way that it doesn't feel excessive
  • great ideas
  • well-chosen secret areas
  • not too hard, but it doesn't get boring
  • you worked with what features were available

What could be changed:

• make the levels less linear (alternative exits e.g. in secret areas)
  • make the worldmap less linear
  • new features (ideas need to be found first) could be implemented, e.g. items or per-level features (such as light in "Light and Magic")

I'm also not sure if we could get a more ghost forest artwork (more like http://supertux.lethargik.org/wiki/File:Forestworldoverview.jpg and http://supertux.lethargik.org/wiki/File:Ghost-portal.jpg).

RustyBox {l Wrote}:I also like that you are using the forest variant of Jumpys, because I personally really like them.

What do people here think about the idea of using sharp needles of conifers instead of metal spikes for wooden jumpys?

@RustyBox: you should've received an email from the forum where I also suggested you to contribute some levels for the next release. Did you get it? Would be nice to have an answer.
SuperTux developer
mteufel

Postby Serano » 10 Jul 2016, 12:40

mteufel {l Wrote}:make the worldmap less linear

For this matter we could use one of those great worldmaps which have been sent in for the forest worldmap contest. Has anyone been chosen as the winner, by the way? ;)

mteufel {l Wrote}:@RustyBox: you should've received an email from the forum where I also suggested you to contribute some levels for the next release. Did you get it? Would be nice to have an answer.

More levels by RustyBox would be very nice, too. :)
SuperTux Team Member
Serano

Postby mteufel » 10 Jul 2016, 12:48

Serano {l Wrote}:For this matter we could use one of those great worldmaps which have been sent in for the forest worldmap contest. Has anyone been chosen as the winner, by the way? ;)

No, we were pretty busy with the editor stuff recently. The community should be consulted, but I think it would be a decision between your, RustyBox's and possibly also Jonathan's submission. Obviously the level selection will change again once we add more of them, so there might be some changes again anyway.
SuperTux developer
mteufel

Postby brmbrmcar » 10 Jul 2016, 15:36

It should be a guideline to be able to turn back! Otherwise you may never see how to get anywhere.There was a point to allowing backscroll as default.
brmbrmbrmbrmbrmbrmcar
brmbrmcar

Postby RustyBox » 10 Jul 2016, 17:07

mteufel {l Wrote}:@RustyBox: you should've received an email from the forum where I also suggested you to contribute some levels for the next release. Did you get it? Would be nice to have an answer.

No, I don't think so. I can only remember, that you have suggested to me, that I should share the progress of my project.
RustyBox

Postby mteufel » 10 Jul 2016, 17:29

RustyBox {l Wrote}:No, I don't think so. I can only remember, that you have suggested to me, that I should share the progress of my project.

I sent it using the forum's mailing system, maybe it's in your spam folder? If it's not there, contact me at
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
mteufel AT urandom DOT eu DOT org
and I'll re-send it directly.
SuperTux developer
mteufel

Postby toothbrush » 10 Jul 2016, 23:48

your work is pretty good, advice you to do more levels to be more interesting to play! Good luck!
toothbrush

Postby mteufel » 11 Jul 2016, 16:55

@RustyBox: you should have already received my email by now. In fact, I answered to like 5 minutes after you sent me your mail. If you haven't received it yet, then the most likely cause is that Outlook.com/Hotmail/Windows Live/Microsoft is rejecting my mail because I don't pay them to unblock my mail server's IP (they're known for doing that kind of stuff).
SuperTux developer
mteufel

Postby RustyBox » 11 Jul 2016, 17:38

mteufel {l Wrote}:@RustyBox: you should have already received my email by now.

I've received your email.
RustyBox

Postby Serano » 13 Jul 2016, 15:56

I've tried and made an new, less linear level. Tell me what you think. :)
Attachments
newlevel.zip
(7.66 KiB) Downloaded 379 times
SuperTux Team Member
Serano

Postby Serano » 18 Jul 2016, 09:06

I've changed the platform behaviour in the level "Thick wood", so you don't have to wait for it for coming back...
Attachments
levelfix.zip
(8.02 KiB) Downloaded 362 times
SuperTux Team Member
Serano

Postby Toufik » 24 Aug 2016, 00:32

I've just finished your worldmap and it is very good!!!!!!. Continue my friend serano!!!! I can't forget the suggestions and help that you gave me for my worldmap toufik's levels :) Thank you ;)
Last edited by Toufik on 24 Aug 2016, 16:20, edited 2 times in total.
Toufik

Postby Serano » 24 Aug 2016, 08:01

Toufik {l Wrote}:I've just finished your worldmap and it is very good!!!!!!. Continue my friend serano!!!! I can't forget the suggestions and help that you gave me for my worldmap toufik's levels :) Thank you ;)

Thank you very much, I'll certainly do that. :)
SuperTux Team Member
Serano