I got stuck in Mattie's World, level 05 (difficult mode)

I got stuck in Mattie's World, level 05 (difficult mode)

Postby Wuzzy » 31 Dec 2015, 18:52

Hi! I have completed most levels on Mattie's World (0.4.0 add-on). I am currently trying to finish the levels in difficult mode.
Difficult mode is basically a whole new island actually, it is very different from normal difficulty mode. And yes, it really is difficult! :D
(Hint: You can enable difficult mode by going to the igloo on the world map and go one step to the north, then hit the jump key. Now go to the right pipe and press the up key.)

But I am stuck in level 05. At the part with the walking flames I can't get over the wall; I have no idea how to activate the white blocks, there are just always off. I haven't found a lantern in this level either and I have searched a lot through the level and even used the pipes and found all 3 blue coins but I found nothing how to enable the white blocks or any way to get over the big wall.
Wuzzy

Re: I got stuck in Mattie's World, level 05 (difficult mode)

Postby Hume2 » 03 Jan 2016, 10:57

The lighting unfortunately depends on the graphic card, so it's possible that it works for LMH, but doesn't work for you (and me as well).
Hume2

Postby LMH » 05 Jan 2016, 18:51

I hope the lighting does not depend on the graphics card, that would be a pretty nasty bug which really should be reported.

However, I do recall someone changing how magic blocks react a while back. That change appears to have broken the bonusblock containing light as well as the dynamic effects from the badguy livefire. So it looks like the level is going to be broken in this release. I'll file a bug report. I noticed some other broken elements of my levels so I'll have to fix those as well. Once I go through everything, I'll update the level set. Unfortunately the ETA is a bit in the air as I do not have the time that I use to. Thanks for letting me know, sorry it panned out rather nastily in the current version.
LMH

Postby Wuzzy » 03 Oct 2016, 08:46

I have now finally managed to beat the level in version 0.5.0. Maybe I updated the level set in the process, I don't know.

But the thing is, I just got stuck again in the level set. I have now completed levels 1-8 in difficult mode but I have no idea how to proceed to the levels below. Any ideas?
Wuzzy

Postby LMH » 14 Oct 2016, 08:09

My apologies, but the later difficult levels do not yet exist. The difficult map was a work in progress, and I was sloppy at how I cut off the parts completed. What you are seeing are simple placeholders and not any new levels. I had intended to clean it up and/or add more, but I felt that the game was picking up too many instabilities in the code (the magic block issue you originally reported is one of many bugs introduced due to some rather sloppy revisions), and have since let myself become extremely inactive. I'll have to check to see if the game has become more stable, as I had many little projects that I gave up on after being disheartened at how poorly they performed all of a sudden. This made me sad and I would love to make more levels, but I've felt that a lot of my work was being undermined by the unstable nature of the game. I am glad my sloppy fix got you through the level though (although know that it doesn't restore the level to its original intent, just makes it passable). You can rest easy knowing that you have completed all challenges currently available- there is no going on at this point.
LMH

Postby Tobbi » 15 Oct 2016, 20:04

Can you please create issues for these instabilities in the code?
SuperTux developer.
Tobbi
SuperTux Moderator

Postby Wuzzy » 20 Oct 2016, 19:01

Oh, there's another problem with Mattie's World at the moment: The overworld tiles look really weird and full of graphical glitches. This wasn't a problem before SuperTux 0.5.0. Sorry, that's all I can tell you for now.
Wuzzy

Postby LMH » 21 Oct 2016, 03:51

@Tobbi, I think most of them are already reported, the most severe are related to all the problems introduced into collision mechanics such as the stacked object jitter (I'm pretty confident they were all introduced at once). I got a list somewhere, but it was growing so long that I just gave up because I realized all my time was going to be spent reporting bugs (or figuring out which ones to report) instead of fixing up the levels.

@Wuzzy, that doesn't surprise me, someone probably made a change to graphics or mapping. Guess it's something else for the list.
LMH

Postby Hume2 » 22 Oct 2016, 15:44

For the graphics glitch:

(tiles
(width 4)(height 4)
(images
(region "worldmap/shared/roads.png" 96 128 32 32)
)
(editor-images "worldmap/shared/invisible_paths-editor.png")
(ids
2030 2031 2032 2033
2034 2035 2036 2037
2038 2039 2040 2041
2042 2043 2044 2045
)
(datas
6 10 23 30
5 9 29 27
20 18 12 3
17 24 31 0
)
)

It seems like the image no longer works. I don't know why, but I think, it isn't worth fixing. When you delete the image tag, it just shouldn't appear. And in my opinion, it's not a good idea to draw empty surfaces and it's better to not draw these surfaces instead. So this is a way to fix it.
Hume2