Lolkat's Levels v1

Lolkat's Levels v1

Postby Lolkat » 11 Oct 2014, 01:01

After a long while, my new set, which will be expanded on indefinitely, is being released to the public!

{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
FEATURING ALL NEW AREAS!
Snow
Sky
Cave
Forest
Dark Forest
Clutch Island (Levels my friend made he let me put in. I taught him how to use the editor!)
Scrap Zone
Coldsteel Factory

-COMING SOON!-
Flesh Area

Some things that are new in this are the addition of BACKWARDS LEVELS!
Backwards levels are normal levels played backwards, with an eerie feel to them, such as skully hops, lava, fire/ice/ghost balls, and darkness!

Scrap Zone levels are levels that I intended to use, but decided they were way too horrible/unfitting for the map.

Coldsteel Factory features a whole new background and a whole new music track made by me in FL STUDIO!

To Install:
Drop data folder in Super Tux 0.3.4 folder.

PLEASE LEAVE FEEDBACK! FEEDBACK HELPS IN SO MANY WAYS :D
Attachments
Lolkat's Levels 2.0.zip
(2.45 MiB) Downloaded 580 times
Lolkat

Re: Lolkat's Levels v1

Postby re342 » 25 Nov 2014, 10:44

Hello Lolkat,

I´ve played the most of your levels. They are great, but some of them are very hard.

In the level 'Falling Rocks', I am missing the exit.

I came until this place

and there is neither a sign nor the final goal.
re342

Postby Lolkat » 07 Dec 2014, 05:13

Thanks for the reply! Sorry I'm replying so late.
I don't know what going on with Falling Rocks! because I have the exit placed down in the editor:

I'm assuming one of the levels considered hard is Hell Houses, which I am reworking in the next version all ready due to the end area's ridiculous difficulty. If you can give me some of the areas in levels you found unfair or difficult, I can look into improving how they are setup.

Again, thanks for the response!
Lolkat

Postby re342 » 07 Dec 2014, 17:56

Hell Houses is difficult, but not the hardest level. 'Teetering in the dark' is harder and for example 'Unnamed' is maybe unreachable. I just came until the place with the owls. In the place with the gray lights, I always lost my life which I got with the bonus on the begin.
re342

Postby Lolkat » 07 Dec 2014, 18:05

Unnamed is in the scrap yard for a reason. And Teetering in the dark is one of the harder levels, but much more beatable than Hell Houses IMO. Anything in the "Scrap Yard" area will probably be hard or poorly made, as it said.
Lolkat

Postby re342 » 07 Dec 2014, 19:23

Sorry, i misstook the hell-level in the scrap yard with the level 'Hell Houses'. Hell Houses is very hard, too. There is one place with a jumpy and two hedgehogs which is very very hard.
re342

Postby Lolkat » 08 Dec 2014, 02:15

Yea, that is getting removed in the next version. I dont know how i beat that while playtesting.
Lolkat

Postby Tobbi » 23 Dec 2014, 20:18

Would it be possible for you to replace the End Seq blocks with a script trigger that calls Level.finish(true) (in the Falling rocks level, I mean) ?

--Tobbi
SuperTux developer.
Tobbi
SuperTux Moderator

Postby Lolkat » 24 Dec 2014, 16:33

I suppose I will, considering this appears to be a reoccuring problem.
Lolkat

Postby LMH » 07 Jan 2015, 08:43

It would be really helpful if you packaged your levels as a self-contained addon. This way your custom content does not need to be merged with a working data directory which is a real pain for those working on development. Also, it's easier to install your levels since a single file only needs to be placed into the addons folder in the .supertux2 directory (plus it makes it easier for me to make your levels accessible on a larger scale through the in-game addon manager). This can be done by putting all your files into a single .zip file structured as if starting in the supertux/data/ directory. In addition, you need to create a .nfo file so SuperTux can recognize an addon. This is done by creating a text file called something like "lolkat-levels-2.nfo" which contains the something like following text:
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
(supertux-addoninfo
      (id "lolkat-levels-2")
      (version 1)
      (type "worldmap")
      (title "Lolkat's Levels 2")
      (author "Lolkat")
      (license "GPL 2+ / CC-by-sa 3.0")
    )

This .nfo file along with any directories needed for your addon (levels, music, images, etc.) should then be compressed into a .zip file. You can test if it works by placing it in .supertux2/addons and seeing if you can access/play the levels with the game utilizing the addon menu. These days I do not have the time to set it up myself, so if you can do it then I can make them accessible faster. You can always use any addons downloaded with the game as a guide as to how to set it up.

I wasn't able to play your levels with all the custom content since I was unwilling to modify and track changes in my working tree, but there were a few things I noticed which could improve the set regardless. Most of your levels could benefit from a clear indicator that the level is done, often it seems that they just abruptly stop. You have many lost badguys who fall off the screen before the player can reach them, this makes it impossible for those with obsessive-compulsive disorder to max out the max fragging stat. There are also many minor graphical glitches, often due to tiles being on the wrong layer (I bet this is why Falling Rocks! cannot be completed). This gives many levels an unfinished feel. In addition, you do not use solid tiles very consistently- sometimes they are background and sometimes not, thus it is unclear on initial impression what will interact with Tux. For example, the vertical wood tiles in Hang Tight are a bit confusing since they look the same as the areas Tux can walk, replacing them with poles or the blue wood tiles would make the level more clear (of course when it comes to secret areas feel free to be deceptive). You have a couple of levels that use bicycle platforms which I found to be completely unplayable- these development features should probably be used sparingly and without a ton of other level elements since they still are a bit unruly. I got stuck between the first two houses in Snowbirch, there should be a way out (or a way to suicide) if the trampoline is left in front of the first structure. This level also suffers from inconsistent tile use. The invisible ceiling in Author's Note is obnoxious and should be redesigned. This is a start, as I have yet to evaluate the entire levelset.

I do not mean to be discouraging in any way as most of this is more-or-less polish work. I think these things would really improve your levelset and mean them for constructive purposes. I'd like to post the levels to addons, but it would help if some of the more serious bugs were worked out and they were packaged as an addon.

Keep up the good work, and I look forward to another revision.
LMH

Postby Lolkat » 18 Jan 2015, 01:06

Wow Thanks for all this criticism! Once I get the editor back up and running (Just changed computers) I'll work on all of this, first priority being conversion to a self-contained addon.
I will be sure to add some finish poles to each level to clear up some end confusion.
Not sure how I'll deal with the fall-off enemies effectively, I'll possibly either add blocks to certain areas or just remove then entirely.
About the wrong layers, I could easily go through and patch those up, though it may take a bit. Falling Rocks!'s end may have accidentally been set to the wrong layer, never thought about that.
A solution I could do for the inconsistency of solid tiles would be to make darker versions of certain tiles so they keep the same feel but dont confuse the player. (Like the darkened forest fill tiles used in certain cave sections of the forest.)
Snowbirch's houses can be quite a problem, I'll definitely fix them so you don't have to kill Tux or Abort. I'll work on a rework for the bicycle platform levels, or just move them into the scrap yard. I'd have to agree with you on the invisible ceiling, I can fix that easily. Don't know why I didn't rework it in the first place.

Thank you very much for your reply!
Lolkat