My new levels and worldmap

My new levels and worldmap

Postby Michel Di Salvo » 23 Jul 2015, 14:02

I have created some new levels for Supertux!

I send them in attachments as a .zip file. My new levels are inside.
I have tested them in Supertux 0.3.4.
I have firstly written them in French, so I have put the texts into the 'fr.po' file. Then I have translated them in English into the 'en.po' file. All this are in the .zip file.

It would be great if some of my new levels could be added to the incubator island? then the main game?
If not, would it be possible to add my worldmap with my new levels in the 'Contrib Levels' section?
Attachments
Monde.zip
My new levels
(111.95 KiB) Downloaded 548 times
Michel Di Salvo

Re: My new levels and worldmap

Postby LMH » 25 Jul 2015, 03:41

Thanks for your contribution. Your levels are very long with a lot of coins- which isn't a bad thing, it makes them very adventurous. However, since SuperTux is primarily a run-and-jump game, I don't think they quite make the requirements for the regular game. This is fine though because you do have a worldmap, which makes it fairly easy to package as an addon that anyone can download in-game.

The levels themselves are very clean and I didn't find any immediate bugs (although I was able to weasel my way through some of the lantern puzzles in a way you probably didn't intend by taking advantage of some of the game mechanics). I enjoyed many of the elements of your levels, and the use of solid tilemaps for secret areas was an interesting change. There were a couple of instances where I'd kill an iceblock or leave a lantern behind resulting in my inability to reach a secret area. I found this frustrating given the size of the levels (I was not very inclined to replay a level that took 10 minutes but I missed some of the content). I think the worst was after the lava falls toward the end of the haunted cave where I had to suicide since I was just scouting out and didn't have the lantern with me. I think a trap like that should be either early in the level, or close to a respawn point (or part of a shorter level). Otherwise that was a pretty cool level. These will be great for players who really like marathon and large-world adventure type levels.

After you get some feedback from other people, and if you're happy with the way it is, I'll help you package the levels as an addon (check the .supertux2 directory for any addons you've installed to use as an example) and we can add them to the addon manager.
LMH

Postby Michel Di Salvo » 27 Jul 2015, 20:07

Thank you for your reply.

I'm sorry for the problem at the end of the haunted cave. It was not intended. So I have modified this level to suppress this problem, and I send it with this reply.

Concerning the places where you cannot enter a secret area because you have killed an ice block or because you left a lantern behind, it was intended in order to avoid it is too easy to access secret area. I think that the secret area should keep its secret some time before it is discovered and that the secret area should not be discovered at the first time that the level is played ? In this way, I think that we have more pleasure when we succeed to enter ?

I would be happy if we can package my levels as an addon that anyone can download in-game. Maybe we wait other feedback before to make it ?
Attachments
niveau2.zip
haunted cave
(19.18 KiB) Downloaded 442 times
Michel Di Salvo

Postby Toufik » 11 Aug 2015, 11:44

Merci mon ami :)
J'aime tes niveaux! Ils sont magnifiques. Je sais bien que l'édition de niveaux est parfois difficile à compléter, mais comme tu as connu les tactiques et les bases de l'éditeur de niveaux, tout est déroulé normalement et le résultat est parfait !
PS / Bienvenue au forum :)
Toufik

Postby Tobbi » 11 Aug 2015, 21:38

I have to agree! The levels are great! So, we only need to find out how to pack them together as an add-on.
SuperTux developer.
Tobbi
SuperTux Moderator

Postby Michel Di Salvo » 20 Aug 2015, 15:14

To LMH:
I think I am ready to package my levels as an addon and to add this to the game.
I have already made a .zip file according to the addons I have found on the .supertux file. I send it with this message.
Can you tell me what I have to do now?
or can you add this addon yourself?
Thank you.
Attachments
monde.zip
my levels and worldmap
(113.25 KiB) Downloaded 387 times
Michel Di Salvo

Postby LMH » 22 Aug 2015, 21:31

I'll check to make sure it all works properly and see about getting it added to the game. Apologies if it takes me a bit, I'm in the process of reconstructing my system. Thanks.
LMH

Postby LMH » 29 Aug 2015, 03:40

The good news is that I have been able to get your levels into a working addon (see attached- slightly different format than you used). The bad news is that localization does not work with addons- it's a standing issue with the game. Given the ingenious way in which you handled naming your levels utilizing the localization features of the game, you can imagine how the outcome might be if the game did no translations at all. Basically none of your levels will have the correct title if used as an addon. For now, it may be best to manually give each level its appropriate name to make it playable in the hopes that localization support for addons will happen in the future. Or I suppose you could be lazy for now, but check the attached to see how it plays (after removing any other copies of your level place zip file into .supertux2/addons/ and activate it in the addons menu).
Attachments
michel-the-frozen-continent.zip
(113.25 KiB) Downloaded 387 times
LMH

Postby Michel Di Salvo » 12 Sep 2015, 20:39

I modified all texts to solve the localization problem.
It seems work properly in English :-) It works in French only if we manually unzip the .zip file in the .supertux2 directory, if not all texts are only in English.
I send the modified file.
Attachments
michel-the-frozen-continent.zip
levels and worldmap
(114.72 KiB) Downloaded 405 times
Michel Di Salvo

Postby re342 » 21 Sep 2015, 17:29

Your levels are very nice. Thank you for sharing them.
re342

Postby Tobbi » 24 Sep 2015, 00:31

@LMH:

Is there anything else that needs to be done to these levels? I would like to add them to the repository index.
SuperTux developer.
Tobbi
SuperTux Moderator

Postby LMH » 28 Sep 2015, 05:26

@Tobbi:

There was one minor tweak I need to make to one of the files, but everything else seems good. I'll try to get it done soon.
LMH

Postby LMH » 30 Sep 2015, 07:53

My apologies, apparently I had confused the most recent download and an earlier version. The new one worked perfectly and has been added to the addon index. Sorry for the delay, these are good-quality levels and I should have made them available earlier.
LMH

Postby Tobbi » 16 Oct 2015, 17:18

I fixed the localization bug for add-ons and thus, the localization files will be picked up in 0.4.0. I tested this with your add-on and it works fine.

Thank you very much!
SuperTux developer.
Tobbi
SuperTux Moderator