Music for "Shocking" a Level with lightning

Re: Music for "Shocking" a Level with lightning

Postby mteufel » 01 Aug 2016, 07:54

Krobonil {l Wrote}:I think I got the right harmonies.
It was not easy to describe electric danger without getting too urban "^^

Good start, however I think I could still contain a little more of the "forest" feeling.

Krobonil {l Wrote}:I also tried to keep the genre of Wansti (the composer of many ST soundtracks)

Not a bad idea, but I think other stuff would be fine too as long as it fits into the general idea of the game.

Krobonil {l Wrote}:- Which rhythm will fit better?
The slower one at the beginning or the faster with the drum?

I think the faster one is a bit too fast for the game.

Krobonil {l Wrote}:- Is it enough creepy? Or maybe too much?

It could be a little less (only a little) creepy. You should hear a bit more of the forest, and you could put a little more highlight on the electricity in the water.

Krobonil {l Wrote}:With your inputs I will continue until 2:00 and make it loopable.

Note that we can also loop a defined (in seconds) part of the file (e.g. https://github.com/SuperTux/data/blob/master/music/forest.music): it will start from the beginning until it reaches loop-at where it will jump back to loop-begin. Then the part between loop-begin and loop-at will be looped until something else interrupts it.

(Note that this is just my opinion, I'd wait for more feedback from others)
SuperTux developer
mteufel

Postby Serano » 01 Aug 2016, 07:59

I like it. It's not too creepy, but has an unpleasant atmosphere to it. But I have to agree, a little more forest feeling in the song would be good.
SuperTux Team Member
Serano

Postby mteufel » 01 Aug 2016, 11:54

If you don't mind, we can also ask people on Twitter for feedback.
SuperTux developer
mteufel

Postby RustyBox » 01 Aug 2016, 16:57

I like it, too. But I like the slower one more. The faster one is a bit to hectic, since in the level you often have to wait until you can enter the water.
SuperTux Level+Worldmap Designer, Artist and Story Writer
RustyBox

Postby Serano » 04 Sep 2016, 14:29

Wow, very nice! I really like it. :)
SuperTux Team Member
Serano

Postby mteufel » 04 Sep 2016, 14:43

Krobonil {l Wrote}:Hi again and thanks for waiting :)

No problem. After all, we're the ones asking for the music. So, we can wait.

Krobonil {l Wrote}:More Forest feeling
- I used more forest-common instruments like brass and a panflute
- The melodies and some chords are deeper now

I like these changes. It really sounds more like in the forest now. The intro might also need some changes, in my opinion, but the soundtrack is already much better.

Krobonil {l Wrote}:Volume
- And I noticed that there's no rain-sound in the level.
Is it planed to insert a soundeffect or is this something that should be into the music?

I assume now would be a good time for the level designers to play with ambient sound effects in the game and find the correct settings for the effect in the level so that we can decide whether or not it needs to be in the music.
SuperTux developer
mteufel

Postby RustyBox » 04 Sep 2016, 14:52

I like it, it sounds really good. But I'm not sure about the fast part of the soundtrack though. Since it's going to be for the level Shocking, it's shoud be a slower soundtrack, because you have often to wait, until you can enter the water.
SuperTux Level+Worldmap Designer, Artist and Story Writer
RustyBox

Postby christ2go » 04 Sep 2016, 15:01

The music sounds very good and I like it very much, but when playing this to the shocking level the part at 1:00 might be a bit too light for the shocking music, in my opinion it should be a bit darker, but apart from that it's a great soundtrack!
christ2go

Postby mteufel » 05 Sep 2016, 12:40

mteufel {l Wrote}:I assume now would be a good time for the level designers to play with ambient sound effects in the game and find the correct settings for the effect in the level so that we can decide whether or not it needs to be in the music.

RustyBox said he tried the ambient sound effects, and that he doesn't like the rain sound effect we currently have in our repository. He says it sounds "scratchy" (for reference, we're talking about https://github.com/SuperTux/data/blob/master/sounds/rain.wav). That means we either need a better free rain sample, or it needs to be in the music. I'd recommend the former, because that can be used independently from soundtracks.
SuperTux developer
mteufel

Postby Serano » 29 Oct 2016, 08:27

I think it's perfect now. It has still the unpleasant feeling, you can hear it's supposed to be in the forest, and the speed of it is alright. Makes you feel like being in a stormy/rainy environment, nobody wants to stay long in there. ;)
SuperTux Team Member
Serano

Postby mteufel » 29 Oct 2016, 12:24

Yup!

@Krobonil: Have you got any high quality and source files for our media archive?
SuperTux developer
mteufel