Some hope for old 0.1x levels

Some hope for old 0.1x levels

Postby Worldblender » 17 Jul 2015, 03:40

The original issue: https://github.com/SuperTux/supertux/issues/84
Finally, after having to spend tens of minutes correcting and converting the first of the real levels from an addon (Tux Strikes Back), I got a working levelset ready to be read by the offical supertux-editor. :) This is an all-manual work without the help of scripts, but I had the time to do this.
NEW: All of the levels have been minimally finished, with some having been altered more than others. Included are both the repacked addon and the levels themselves.
GREAT: The original author Christian Schaefers has now allowed me to license my modifed levelset as CC-BY-SA, version 4.0. :sa: This means that commercial use of this version is now permitted; the license for the original levelset remains unchanged so that two different confusing versions won't exist.
The intro level and the extro stuff will remain unaltered, except for adding my credt for this work.

NOW: The new versions of the levelset are here! I fixed up more stuff as described in replies.
rqian-tux-strikes-back-v2.zip
Newest version of the levelset.
(47.87 KiB) Downloaded 357 times

tsb-v2-repack-levels_210815.zip
Standalone levels for easier editing; latest version.
(37.14 KiB) Downloaded 345 times
Attachments
tsb-v2-repack-levels_210715.zip
Standalone levels for easier editing, older version.
(29.31 KiB) Downloaded 359 times
cschaefer-tux-strikes-back-v2-repack.zip
Repacked addon for out-of-the-box play and testing.
(35 KiB) Downloaded 379 times
Last edited by Worldblender on 21 Aug 2015, 21:26, edited 4 times in total.
Worldblender

Re: Some hope for old 0.1x levels

Postby Tobbi » 19 Jul 2015, 23:06

Hey,

it's great that tsblevels are finally getting some love. :-)

Would it be possible for you to change the height of the levels so that it doesn't look so bad on my Macbook Pro?

Also, if you have a github.com account, please do a pull request here:
https://github.com/SuperTux/supertux

(makes it easier to add the changes)
SuperTux developer.
Tobbi
SuperTux Moderator

Postby Worldblender » 20 Jul 2015, 00:25

Yes, I can; I'm doing manual editing and then more processing with the supertux-editor. I may change the heights to 25, as you requested. Now I know about the license saying something about "not to be sold" -> noncommercial use only, so what should I do about this license problem?
Worldblender

Postby Akien » 20 Jul 2015, 08:18

Worldblender {l Wrote}:Now I know about the license saying something about "not to be sold" -> noncommercial use only, so what should I do about this license problem?

As far as I know "non-commercial" content won't fit in the main repos of SuperTux (well it could, but it would made packagers and redistributors cringe and have to delete this content when providing SuperTux. If you can contact the original author and ask them to relicense under a nicer license (like CC BY or CC BY-SA), it would be way better.
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby Tobbi » 20 Jul 2015, 20:25

Yes, please contact the author regarding the license. You can find contact information at his homepage http://www.christian-schaefers.de/
SuperTux developer.
Tobbi
SuperTux Moderator

Postby Worldblender » 20 Jul 2015, 20:35

Yes, I will, when I finish all the levels and polishing them up. The resulting changes will then be packed into a .zip file, containing only the modified levels. Some levels may be altered more than others, keep in mind, and may detract from the originals slightly.
:think: For a little bit of nostalgia, should I use the old jumpy sprite for all of the jumpy enemies in the levelset?
Worldblender

Postby Worldblender » 21 Jul 2015, 23:56

Finally! I got all the levels converted and minimally polished! :D [see the first post for the files] Try all the levels out and report the following, if possible:
  • Difficulty of the levels
  • Aesthetic issues
  • Bugs within the levels
  • Anything else you want to tell me about the modified levels (comment)
I'm on my merry way to helping Supertux become a better game, and updating/porting an addon, is only one of my first steps. Once I implement more changes suggested, I'll try to reach the original author about relicensing the addon to permit commercial uses as well.
Worldblender

Postby LMH » 25 Jul 2015, 03:42

Very nice, I like how you have incorporrated new elements while keeping true to the original gameplay. I did experience some aesthetic issues though. First I'd increase the height of each level to no less than 35 tiles (level height has always been a problem with this one), this will aviod awkward spaces above and below when using the higher resolutions. I'd also try to avoid using coin rain near the top of the level, for maximum effect the player needs time to see the rain fall. I found that "Level 12: The Flood" was very difficult with the darkness, you might want to add a little more light otherwise it's mostly impossible without any powerups and when using a lower quality display. The last two levels had some significant streaking of graphics in regions with the pure black background (near the top of the background gradient). I'm not sure if all platforms experience this, but setting the top color to have a slight amount of red in it should fix this.

As far as gameplay, there was one very severe issue where the introduction does not load and instead causes SuperTux to crash. On a lesser note, "Level 14: Path of Fire" was pretty trivial with the iceflower first thing, although this is consistent with the whole set which is pretty easy with the right powerup, you may nevertheless consider changing it. Many of the levels still have badguys that fall off the screen or die before Tux reaches them, making it pretty difficult or impossible to finish out the max fragging stat for some of the levels.

Be sure to try to contact the author sooner rather than later, if you don't have the right licencing, then it's harder to share and few people will get to enjoy the levels.

Finally, I'd suggest you append the end credits with your name after something like "referbished by". Gotta acknowledge all your hard work afterall.
LMH

Postby Danfun64 » 01 Aug 2015, 17:31

I tested your "refurbished" version. The intro still crashes me (probably since you did nothing with it) and you didn't fix the level 7 problem involving an icecube hitting mr bomb and leaving the player stuck. Also, you didn't add the timer or set the bottom tiles to be the bottom of the level.
Danfun64

Postby Worldblender » 13 Aug 2015, 16:52

I have most of that stuff fixed now, except for the timers and introduction. The timers: I'm not sure if players can finish them within 100 seconds, as the standard levels don't have them. Introduction: I'm not sure what's the best way to fix the introduction level, so I may need help on that.
I'm more likely to upload the latest version of the levels when I finish editing them again, and if needed, contact the original author to see if relicensing is possible.

This is the error I get when I start the original levelset, although it will not appear again when the levelset is started again, because the intro level is not launched afterwards:
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
[FATAL] /build/supertux-W6aC2p/supertux-0.3.5~git20150728+4~ubuntu14.04.1/src/supertux/main.cpp:443 Unexpected exception: Squirrel error: Couldn't unset worldmap in roottable (the index 'worldmap' does not exist)

UPDATE: I now have sent an e-mail to the original author. All that needs to happen is to see what he will reply back to me with. If he does reply, I'll put my conversation with him here. Else not, what is there that I can do if I don't get a response anytime soon, within the next 5 months?
Worldblender

Postby Tobbi » 14 Aug 2015, 01:41

I *think* the issue you're experiencing has something to do with our Squirrel implementation. I don't get why this crashes though. All attempts to resolve the issues failed so far. Only thing that kind of worked is uncommenting something that I think shouldn't be uncommented (worldmap.cpp, line 931). I will possibly add an issue to our bug tracker tomorrow to find someone who can investigate the problems.

--Tobbi
SuperTux developer.
Tobbi
SuperTux Moderator

Postby Tobbi » 19 Aug 2015, 20:37

@Worldblender: The crash issue will be fixed in the upcoming release of SuperTux. Mathnerd314 tracked it down successfully!
SuperTux developer.
Tobbi
SuperTux Moderator

Postby Worldblender » 21 Aug 2015, 21:29

I have new versions of this levelset up and ready! And even better: This levelset can be considered truly "Free Cultural" as I now, with the new CC license, can permit commercial exploitation, as long the license remains unchanged.
As always, look at the first post for the new stuff.
Worldblender

Postby LMH » 22 Aug 2015, 21:35

Great. I'll see about updating the addon repo and getting them available. I might be a little bit slow, but will try to get things running within a week- or at least let you know if I have any issues.
LMH

Postby Tobbi » 24 Aug 2015, 10:25

Hey LMH,

keep in mind that there are a few tiles being used in some levels (like the "Tux carrying an ice cube" sign) that have been added recently and are in SuperTux version 0.3.5 and above, so maybe won't show up in 0.3.4 and below. Not sure if that poses a problem.
SuperTux developer.
Tobbi
SuperTux Moderator

Postby LMH » 25 Aug 2015, 05:40

Thanks for the head's up. In general, I'll only change the addon index for the most recent build so older versions of the game will not see it as an option. Unless someone makes a specific request that their levels are for earlier builds I'll assume the most recent version only.
LMH

Postby Tobbi » 31 Aug 2015, 10:44

Hey, @Worldblender,

if you want, in my opinion, there are quite a few levels in world1 and world2 that could use a touch-up as well (only if you feel up to it, of course).

--Tobbi
SuperTux developer.
Tobbi
SuperTux Moderator

Postby LMH » 20 Sep 2015, 22:26

FYI- addon should now be updated in the main repo. The new version should be downloadable in-game using the addon manager.
LMH

Postby Worldblender » 23 Sep 2015, 05:55

Good. Glad to see something of mine appear in a public repository since months! :D
BTW, were any final changes made to addon before it got uploaded? I wamt to mske sure that it is plsyable, while having a nice appearance
Worldblender

Postby LMH » 28 Sep 2015, 05:35

There may have been some minor changes to the .nfo file to make it work, but the levels/worldmap should all be untouched.
LMH

Postby Worldblender » 28 Sep 2015, 05:47

LMH {l Wrote}:There may have been some minor changes to the .nfo file to make it work, but the levels/worldmap should all be untouched.

Okay, I was hoping that my levels could be playable and beatable at all; I don't want to upset people because this levelset was unplayable.
Worldblender

Postby brmbrmcar » 25 Oct 2015, 18:26

The beginning of level 6 is now too easy.
brmbrmbrmbrmbrmbrmcar
brmbrmcar

Postby Hume2 » 08 Nov 2015, 19:41

I restaure the other levels from fan site in a git repository. I have still many levels to work on, so if you want to help, you're welcome.
Hume2