Small Tux run animation

Small Tux run animation

Postby onpon4 » 12 Nov 2015, 01:23

I've been developing a new game based on the SuperTux graphics/sounds/music called ReTux. Some of you may be aware of this; I've mentioned this project a couple of times before on the IRC channel, and I also made a post about it on these forums.

One thing that I simply couldn't live with in SuperTux's graphics was the lack of a proper run animation for Tux, so I paid an artist to make one. SuperTux might have a use for it, so I've packed all of the Tux sprites used by ReTux into an archive along with the relevant license info. That archive can be found here:

http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releas ... tes.tar.gz

Since ReTux only uses the small Tux sprites, this is only for small Tux. Additionally, it's in the split-sprite format that SuperTux 0.3.0 uses; to get a single image, simply paste the arms over the respective body component (the images are the same size, and the arms are positioned accordingly).
onpon4

Re: Small Tux run animation

Postby charlie » 12 Nov 2015, 13:26

Glad to see you are still developing ReTux although I'm not really agreeing with the way you are going about distributing it (i.e. effectively charging $20 for it).

Perhaps look to some of the open source games on Steam for a bit of inspiration on alternative ways to earn from the development. A version on Steam has a huge potential player base, will generate income, and allow you to be both open source (and publicly so) but also charge for the game.

You can see a list of the (known to me) open source games on Steam on our Steam group:
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/freegamerblog
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Tobbi » 13 Nov 2015, 18:30

Hey,

could you please post some screenshots which show correct attribution according to CC-BY-* licenses of the assets in the game?

Thanks in advance!
SuperTux developer.
Tobbi
SuperTux Moderator

Postby onpon4 » 13 Nov 2015, 21:46

CC BY? It was my understanding that the graphics are under the GNU GPL (I'm pretty sure I clarified this on IRC about a year ago). If this is not the case, you ought to actually indicate this in SuperTux. AUTHORS, the only document I have seen in SuperTux discussing this issue, makes no mention of the graphics being under CC BY.

The way I'm complying with what I have understood to be the license of these graphics (the GNU GPL) is to indicate the authors (to the best of my ability -- unfortunately, the lack of statements in SuperTux itself on the matter for graphics means the best I can do for most of them is "SuperTux development team", which the people I talked to on IRC around a year ago agreed was acceptable), the license, and (if applicable) where I got them from, in a file called "LICENSES". A copy of the GNU GPL is kept in the root directory of ReTux, since that is the license of the program. A snippet of LICENSES (the part relevant to the Tux images) is found in the archive above. This is the full file, currently:

http://pastebin.com/TgJ01cYe

There's also a credits screen:

But even the assets which do have CC BY or CC BY-SA indicated don't stipulate that credit has to be provided through a credits screen or anything like that, and LICENSES already gives attribution, so this is really a token gesture and has nothing to do with licensing compliance.
onpon4

Postby Tobbi » 13 Nov 2015, 21:50

Sorry, I believe this was my misunderstanding. The assets are apparently under GPL. As long as you keep stuff in LICENSES, it's fine with me :-)
SuperTux developer.
Tobbi
SuperTux Moderator

Postby brmbrmcar » 13 Nov 2015, 22:36

That's Milestone 1!
brmbrmbrmbrmbrmbrmcar
brmbrmcar

Postby onpon4 » 14 Nov 2015, 00:50

brmbrmcar {l Wrote}:That's Milestone 1!

What is? I'm only using one file from Milestone 1 (the Milestone 1 fireball sound). The Tux sprites are from version 0.3.0 (though I think I modified them slightly; I'm not entirely sure).
onpon4

Postby brmbrmcar » 15 Nov 2015, 10:54

I mean the credits.
brmbrmbrmbrmbrmbrmcar
brmbrmcar

Postby onpon4 » 15 Nov 2015, 12:21

What, the background? No, that's custom-made and based on stuff from Milestone 1.9. In fact, this background is composed of four separate layers and will parallax-scroll; the "arctis_dark" background in Milestone 1 is just a flat image.
onpon4

Postby brmbrmcar » 17 Nov 2015, 17:43

So is the text. It looks very Milestone 1-y.
brmbrmbrmbrmbrmbrmcar
brmbrmcar

Postby Alzter » 23 Sep 2016, 04:06

The running animation is ok... but a little choppy. Tux's body keeps gittering back and forth!
He should stay leaning forward, not move forward and back continuously! I was thinking of animating my take on the run...
Alzter