What is wrong with Incubator Island now? (In a good way)

What is wrong with Incubator Island now? (In a good way)

Postby Savs » 26 Mar 2016, 05:48

What is Incubator Island supposed to be now? Originally being an worldmap for breeding new levels proposed for the main game, but now it's a complete mess mixed with levels being really frustrating and not following level design guidelines. Maybe shall we move sK!LL's levels from Incubator to Bonus Island 3 or remove them completely?

I've made this post because I think that the levels from pre_git_bugtracker_worldmap look misplaced for Incubator Island. I think they are better suited for Bonus Island 3 or even 4 since they are not following the level design guidelines I mentioned above.
Last edited by Savs on 07 Jul 2016, 06:02, edited 2 times in total.
Savs

Re: What is wrong with Incubator Island now? (In a good way)

Postby Serano » 26 Mar 2016, 08:20

The new levels are indeed experimental and very hard... Some ideas, like the collectable crystals for the large snowman are very good, but in overall, I don't like those levels very much...
SuperTux Team Member
Serano

Postby Tobbi » 27 Mar 2016, 17:56

Originally, Incubator Island wasn't supposed to be in the stable release. We should've actually added a note regarding the experimental state of the levels therein.

@Savs: I know you've been blocked from editing the organisation's bug reports and such. I might have been a little bit too quick about doing that. I like your interest in SuperTux, seriously. I just think you should be more careful proposing changes and issues. I'd like for you to stick around in our IRC channel, see http://supertuxproject.org/contact.html#IRC to connect there. Eventually we'll probably get an agreement as to what' suitable and what isn't in terms of feature requests and pull requests and can get you unblocked in the end.
SuperTux developer.
Tobbi
SuperTux Moderator

Postby Hume2 » 28 Mar 2016, 15:52

I know right that some of those levels are challenging. I try to keep the hard levels on the dead ends, so you can skip the harder levels just by picking another road. The sK!LL's levels are all in a separate road. I've added a nice feature that the titles of the levels can have different colours, that helps the player about its local difficulty.
Hume2

Postby brmbrmcar » 28 Mar 2016, 20:09

I updated the worldmap.stwm file, but the colours still did not show.
brmbrmbrmbrmbrmbrmcar
brmbrmcar

Postby brmbrmcar » 28 Mar 2016, 20:11

ER... I needed a newer SuperTux version!
brmbrmbrmbrmbrmbrmcar
brmbrmcar

Postby Hume2 » 29 Mar 2016, 06:12

Yes, it's only in those development versions.
Hume2

Postby Savs » 12 Apr 2016, 14:46

I tried to move some levels (most of them by sK!LL) from Incubator to Bonus Island 3 but unfortunately it was too complex to edit the Bonus 3 worldmap by text editor manually and the editor is quite outdated (0.3.0) so it does not work with new world maps. Someone could made a modified Bonus 3 world map with the appropriate levels integrated and upload the resulting file as an attachment here.
Savs

Postby brmbrmcar » 13 Apr 2016, 17:31

I see now. I have the development version.
brmbrmbrmbrmbrmbrmcar
brmbrmcar

Postby Savs » 23 Apr 2016, 08:57

Finally i got the new editor working on my pc. Now i post the modifed Incubator and Bonus Island III here. Notice that the Incubator Island has a lot of blank space but that's good, seeing the worldmap being ready to be expandable by good new levels.
Attachments
pre_git_bugtracker_worldmap.zip
Bonus Island III as addon
(803.92 KiB) Downloaded 258 times
edits.zip
modifed Bonus Island III
(647.41 KiB) Downloaded 271 times
Savs