Need help with ST Editor

Need help with ST Editor

Postby Lolkat » 23 Jul 2013, 04:47

Hello, Im using a Windows computer (due to my virtual machine not working D:) and I installed the windows setup for the 0.3 editor. I installed mono aswell. However, if i try to open it, it pops up the command prompt window but instantly crashes. Im clueless about all the git stuff. Can anyone tell me the problem?
Lolkat

Re: Need help with ST Editor

Postby Lolkat » 23 Jul 2013, 22:42

I got the editor working, and I want to play the level in game, but when I try to load the level, it isnt under contrib levels, and when I replace any other level, the game crashes upon trying to enter the level. Please help!
Lolkat

Postby Lolkat » 24 Jul 2013, 00:49

I also have the .exe and data directories set but i cant test the level at all.
Lolkat

Postby ctdabomb » 25 Jul 2013, 14:01

Cool! you got the editor working. Sorry I couldn't help sooner.
You should just be able to play levels right from the editor.
can you play any levels in the game before yo switched them around?
Some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help smiling when you shove them down the stairs.
ctdabomb

Postby Lolkat » 25 Jul 2013, 18:56

I got it working. The first level I made was corrupt or something. Ive made like 7 working levels since. The only thing is Im not too sure how to get them to a file besides File.
Lolkat

Postby ctdabomb » 09 Aug 2013, 16:11

Lolkat {l Wrote}:The only thing is Im not too sure how to get them to a file besides File.

Sorry, for not being around. vacation. can you please elaborate? Currently I am not quite getting you.
Some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help smiling when you shove them down the stairs.
ctdabomb

Postby Lolkat » 25 Aug 2013, 02:50

I got it to work, but now I can't load my world map. It crashes the minute I enter the world map.
If you can figure out the problem, please let me know. I've attached my add-on thingy below.
Attachments
lolkat.zip
my add-on test thing
(38.13 KiB) Downloaded 325 times
Lolkat

Postby LMH » 25 Aug 2013, 20:41

I found two things causing issues with your addon. First, in your info file you need to set levelset to false; that is in /levels/Lolkat's Levels/info change "(levelset #t)" to "(levelset #f)". Otherwise SuperTux will not load the worldmap and instead gives you a list of all the levels.

Second, the crash that was giving you issue is due to not having a "intro.stl". Since you copied your worldmap from the world 1 worldmap, you inadvertently set yourself up for having an intro level that loads automatically. You probably didn't delete it because you did not see it- it has an invisible sprite. You can probably remove it from the editor if you click on the spawn point multiple times until it selects the hidden level. Otherwise you can remove it by opening the worldmap in a text editor and deleting the lines manually.

Fix these two things and your levels will be playable as an add-on. Pretty good job for a first-timer, usually I see just a bunch of files that are not packaged at all properly. Let me know when you have your levels set (or if they are already), and I can see about making them downloadable by others in-game.
LMH

Postby Lolkat » 26 Aug 2013, 00:08

LMH {l Wrote}:I found two things causing issues with your addon. First, in your info file you need to set levelset to false; that is in /levels/Lolkat's Levels/info change "(levelset #t)" to "(levelset #f)". Otherwise SuperTux will not load the worldmap and instead gives you a list of all the levels.

Second, the crash that was giving you issue is due to not having a "intro.stl". Since you copied your worldmap from the world 1 worldmap, you inadvertently set yourself up for having an intro level that loads automatically. You probably didn't delete it because you did not see it- it has an invisible sprite. You can probably remove it from the editor if you click on the spawn point multiple times until it selects the hidden level. Otherwise you can remove it by opening the worldmap in a text editor and deleting the lines manually.

Fix these two things and your levels will be playable as an add-on. Pretty good job for a first-timer, usually I see just a bunch of files that are not packaged at all properly. Let me know when you have your levels set (or if they are already), and I can see about making them downloadable by others in-game.

I set the levelset to true so I could play them in supertux after I realized that the worldmap wasn't working.
Thanks for telling me the fix, I'll get to fixing it right away, and thanks for telling me that I did a pretty good job for a first time :)

EDIT: Patched up the stuff, added an intro level explaining some stuff, its all done now!
Attachments
lolkat.zip
YAY! ITS DONE :D!
(39.59 KiB) Downloaded 321 times
Lolkat

Postby LMH » 27 Aug 2013, 21:45

Alright, I've added your levels to the add-on manager. People with ST 0.3.3-GIT and 0.3.4 will be able to download and play them from the game. I did make one tweak to the worldmap: I swapped the special tiles for actual teleporter tiles since I was seeing some bizarre behavior which prevented me from getting to the skullyhop castle. Hope you don't mind.

As requested in the intro level, here is some feedback. First I would suggest that you make levels no shorter than 35 tiles high. This is because SuperTux supports multiple resolutions, and if you play on a high-resolution setting, short levels abruptly end and appear to be floating over the background which fills the whole screen (i.e. your 20 tile high level sits in the middle of a 35 tile high background and looks awkward). You can modify short levels to look good at high res, but it's a bit tedious. Next, I'd suggest you use more coins and secret areas. These levels were a bit badguy-heavy, which isn't necessarily bad, but there wasn't a lot of loot along the way when slogging through the massive armies. Try adding content to make the level stats useful, it will also add to the replay value of the levels. Even though the levels were fairly challenging, they were also short on average (which is probably best for hard levels). I did like that they were beatable and I never had to resort to cheating just to play through (although a couple of times I came close). I realize that being your first levels they're going to be a little rough, but I think you're well on your way. Anyway I look forward to your next batch.
LMH

Postby Lolkat » 28 Aug 2013, 21:29

Alright, Ill make my next batch of levels 40 in height, that also allows me to create some more complex levels such as forest levels with underground sections or maybe some ruins.
I plan on updating it with coins, but I don't know how to make a secret area trigger. And about the thing with skullyhop castle, I really don't know what happened there. Im pretty sure I set it to warp you to the coordinates when I was making the map. Id also like to know which levels you came close to cheating on. (Im guessing either Dispenser Alley, On Thin Ice, or Frosty Castle XP)
Lolkat

Postby LMH » 02 Sep 2013, 07:54

There should be an object in the editor for secret areas (click the Object Tool and there should be a blue square that says "Secret Area"). Just place it in your level and adjust the size as necessary.

There was a problem with the editor using out-dated functions for special-tile which is why the teleportation did not work even though your coordinates were correct. I have since updated the editor so that won't be an issue anymore (although you will need to update your source and rebuild to see the changes).

I think the levels that gave me the most issue were Frosty Castle and Area Denial (the lack of contrast between interactive and background drove me crazy). Thin Ice also caused some issue, but I had fire when I did Dispenser Alley so I managed to get through just fine- it would be brutal w/o powerups.
LMH

Postby Lolkat » 28 Sep 2013, 21:33

Ok i have a new problem now when updating to ST 3.4.
I hooked up the new data and exe directories but when i click on the Unisolid category my editor crashes.
Also, I cant get any of the newer badguys (Haywire, Scuba Divers,Snowman, Owl,.etc)
The all category also crashes if i scroll to where the unisolid blocks are.
Lolkat

Postby Lolkat » 28 Sep 2013, 21:45

Ugh, now when im building levels they get corrupted or something and it teleports me to the upper left hand corner and kills me instantly and i cant fix it no matter what! This has been happening alot with my editor though even on 0.3.3
Lolkat

Postby LMH » 02 Oct 2013, 08:04

Err... that sounds distressing. Have you also upgraded your editor? If not, that is likely your problem. Editor binaries are hard to find, but you might try the one here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/70v98 ... 130831.zip

It should be reasonably close to the 0.3.4 version of the game, and might fix you problem.

EDIT: broken link updated
LMH

Postby Mr. Hilter » 07 Oct 2013, 22:40

I'm also looking for a working editor for Windows. You really should just bundle the editor with the game so everybody gets the right editor for his version of this great game. Anyway I tried your Dropbox link, but it is 404 like everything else Google came up with. Any chance to get a working editor elsewhere?
Mr. Hilter

Postby LMH » 08 Oct 2013, 20:18

404!? Dreadful. I guess I'm not surprised. Fortunately I saved a copy. Try this:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/70v98iv1q7n83uc/supertux.editor-0.3.4%2BGIT_20130831.zip

I should probably also mention that the editor requires Gtk# for .NET, so if this is your first attempt to use the editor you'll need to download that first.

Thanks for the heads-up on the broken link. Let me know if it works, but expect some bugs since it is still just a development snapshot.
LMH

Postby Mr. Hilter » 12 Oct 2013, 12:54

Great. This really should be part of the default installer.
Mr. Hilter

Postby Lolkat » 12 Oct 2013, 18:25

OK, so far Ive only ran into 2 major bugs with the editor you provided.

#1- Background image is unchangeable.
Error:
"Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation."

at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(IRuntimeMethodInfo method, Object target, Object[] arguments, SignatureStruct& sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeType typeOwner)

at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethodFast(IRuntimeMethodInfo method, Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeType typeOwner)

at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks)

at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)

at System.Reflection.RuntimePropertyInfo.SetValue(Object obj, Object value, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] index, CultureInfo culture)

at System.Reflection.RuntimePropertyInfo.SetValue(Object obj, Object value, Object[] index)

at LispReader.FieldOrProperty.Property.SetValue(Object Object, Object value)

at Undo.PropertyChangeCommand.Do()

at ChooseResourceWidget.OnEntryChangeDone(Object o, FocusOutEventArgs args)

--Caused by--

"Couldn't load resource 'blue-middle.jpg'"

at Resources.DefaultResourceManager.Get(String ResourcePath)

at Drawing.TextureManager.CreateImageTexture(String Resourcepath)

at Drawing.TextureManager.Get(String Resourcepath)

at Drawing.Surface..ctor(String Resourcepath)

at Background.set_Image(String value)

--Caused by--

"Could not find file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\SuperTux 0.3.4\data\blue-middle.jpg'."

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)

at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath)

at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access)

at Resources.DefaultResourceManager.Get(String ResourcePath)

#2- Music doesnt play, no matter the track. Its basically just that. No error or anything.
Lolkat

Postby ctdabomb » 15 Oct 2013, 12:31

I think the first issue was something wrong with loading .jpgs.... but that was fixed a bit ago. A workaround for it was to manually type it into the box (or copy paste)

I have no idea about #2 does music work in your regular game?
ctdabomb

Postby Lolkat » 17 Oct 2013, 22:21

ctdabomb {l Wrote}:I think the first issue was something wrong with loading .jpgs.... but that was fixed a bit ago. A workaround for it was to manually type it into the box (or copy paste)

I have no idea about #2 does music work in your regular game?

Yes music works in my reg game just not when I try to add music to my custom levels. The music isnt muted or anything and i hear sounds fine.
Lolkat

Postby LMH » 28 Oct 2013, 04:32

Mr. Hilter {l Wrote}:Great. This really should be part of the default installer.

Perhaps when both the game and editor reach a stable version, they will be.

Lolkat {l Wrote}:OK, so far Ive only ran into 2 major bugs with the editor you provided.

You're right, I can confirm these bugs. Something must have gone horribly wrong in the magic required to make it work in Windows. I'll poke a little bit, but there may not be a lot of willing and able support to get a functional version any time soon. It turns out that both issues are the same and more severe than just the inability to set backgrounds and music. I found that I when you change any file name, this snapshot fails to preserve the filepath. For example when you change the music, it sets the path to something like "bonus.ogg" instead of "music/bonus.ogg". The same goes for images and sprites, which causes an error since the editor needs the images immediately to display on screen.

ctdabomb {l Wrote}:A workaround for it was to manually type it into the box (or copy paste)

This is still true. So long as you get the correct filepath into the property text box you should be able to change things. For some whatever reason, this editor cannot do it on its own.
LMH

Postby Lolkat » 01 Aug 2014, 21:58

Certainly has been a long time since I've had trouble with this. Everything was running fine until I had to reinstall my operating system.
I reinstalled supertux and got the editor again and tried launching it. It only pops up for about 3 seconds in task manager then auto closes. I have net framework latest, latest mono, and have used CorFlags on it, but it all ends up the same way, 3 seconds in task manager then closes. No CMD pop-up, no appearance on the taskbar or anything.
:!: NEVERMID I DIDN'T HAVE GTK# INSTALLED XD
Lolkat