Where to get the most recent version of SuperTux

Where to get the most recent version of SuperTux

Postby LMH » 14 Feb 2012, 19:21

There are three primary ways to get and play SuperTux:
1. The stable release of SuperTux (which is rather dated).
2. The most recent (April 2015) development snapshot which can be found (as well as the stable release) here.
3. The Git repository.

If you're interested in the most recent development version of the game (which I assume you are if you're reading this forum) you will want the Git repository version which is constantly changing and being updated with new tweaks and features. The repository is the home of the most recent source code of SuperTux and must be built. To access it you will need Git to copy the code from the server. Once you have the code you must then compile it and build the game. This can be a pain (see this post for more info), especially for a novice who has never done anything like this before.

The SuperTux level editor, has received less attention as of late and binaries are hard to find. The source code is also available through Git, but it requires additional dependencies. The following might be helpful for those trying to get a working editor.
Editor- Windows (0.3.4 -ish snapshot, this requires Gtk# for .NET) Note that filepaths must be entered manually to change images/music/etc. in this build, i.e. it's buggy.
Some interesting stuff for Windows
LMH

Re: Where to get the most recent version of SuperTux

Postby Knitter » 15 Feb 2012, 13:08

If anyone needs an OS X compiled version, please download the file named SuperTux.zip available at http://www.wuala.com/Knitter/wp/

It's an app bundle for OS X Snow Leopard 64bit, I don't know how well it will work on other versions, but it should work fine in Lion. It contains all the needed libraries packed in the bundle.

I compiled it against the latest git code for the master branch and it's my first successful app bundle (yhay!), it may be useful if any OS X user wants to test the latest version (doesn't contain my pt translation) and it doesn't feature a bundle icon.

Regards,

Knitter
Knitter

Postby qubodup » 17 Feb 2012, 23:39

I am testing from git on Arch Linux 32bit.

1. A black screen appears and I have to wait for ~5seconds for the game menu to appear.1

A "Loading..." text or anything similar indicating that the player has to wait would make him not be worried that the game might be broken or something. Useful for first impression on weak systems.

When pressing Enter to enter a level on the map, a "Loading" heads-up display element would also be good to make it clear that the key press has been successful.

2. The first level of play with penny has an snow heap that doesn't cover the feet:
The same is true for igloos at level end

3. In the 'listen to music and chat and get captured sequence, the audio is not in synch. They still chatter after I have re-gained control over tux.

4. The first level has no indication of 'level done. The pole and igloo that is in all other levels should be used here as well for consistency and teaching the player that it means level end.

5. The skid sound seems rather loud. A step sound seems logical to be added. here are some, although possibly unfitting.

6. The death sound is way too loud and I would suggest one that has positive feedback a la "oh, too bad" rather than "BAM!" :) This is also true for the 'getting hit but not dying' sound.

7. Each time a new sprite appears for the first time on the screen, there is a short delay. Understandable from a technical standpoint but annoying. :)

What specifically do you want us to test? :)
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby LMH » 20 Feb 2012, 02:14

Knitter {l Wrote}:If anyone needs an OS X compiled version, please download the file named SuperTux.zip available at http://www.wuala.com/Knitter/wp/

Thanks! It doesn't work for me, but I'm also on a 32-bit system (and probably a couple of OS X versions behind; I get the generic "The application SuperTux quit unexpectedly." error). May I ask how you went about making the app bundle? I've been wanting to do so for some time on my own machine but have been too busy to dig around and find out how to do so properly (plus my first attempt seems to have failed), a push in the right direction would be appreciated. I'll add the link to the list, but if anyone with a 64-bit architecture has issue let me know since I cannot confirm directly that it works.
LMH

Postby LMH » 20 Feb 2012, 02:33

qubodup {l Wrote}:What specifically do you want us to test? :)

Your list of issues is exactly the type of thing that is useful. Fresh eyes are always valuable for picking out what was obviously missed or since forgotten. I'm not certain how often and how many of the developers check on these forums yet, so probably the best place to submit bugs or make feature requests is the bugtracker. Although between ctdabomb and I, we'll probably get the message though.
LMH

Postby Knitter » 20 Feb 2012, 12:31

LMH {l Wrote}:Thanks! It doesn't work for me, but I'm also on a 32-bit system (and probably a couple of OS X versions behind; I get the generic "The application SuperTux quit unexpectedly." error).

As I said in the topic, it is really just for 64bit systems, I compiled it with the default settings and the resulting executable is 64bit. I actually thing the libraries are universal (32bit + 64bit) but I'm not sure since I made a few changes to my macports installation. But the executable is definitly 64bit only. If I manage to properly learn the process of compiling and packaging applications in OS X I'll try to create bundles for previous versions, but for now I can only work with 64bit versions.

LMH {l Wrote}:May I ask how you went about making the app bundle? I've been wanting to do so for some time on my own machine but have been too busy to dig around and find out how to do so properly (plus my first attempt seems to have failed), a push in the right direction would be appreciated.

I've sent you an e-mail with some info so that I don't start derailing the thread :), but I don't really have much I can share, most of what I was able to achieve was by trial and error and I still haven't really understood the process, or at least where I was failing before.

LMH {l Wrote}:I'll add the link to the list, but if anyone with a 64-bit architecture has issue let me know since I cannot confirm directly that it works.

That is why I posted it here, so that other could test it :).
Knitter

Postby LMH » 21 Feb 2012, 03:58

Alright, with the info Knitter was so kind to provide me with I've tried to put together a 32-bit OS X version of the game. I'm using 10.5.8 and would assume it should work in more recent versions of OS X. Let me know if there are any problems.

I know it should be relatively easy to put together a universal binary on OS X, but I haven't had the time to figure it out. For now Mac uses will have to deal with two different downloads.
LMH

Postby ctdabomb » 16 Apr 2012, 18:27

we have some more Mac packages from xeno74
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=2980
Some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help smiling when you shove them down the stairs.
ctdabomb

Postby niso » 02 Nov 2012, 15:23

Hi!
I bought a new computer and I wanted to install LMH's supertux snapshot (September 2011) which works fine for my addon. But: It's a dead link for windows. Could anybody reupload this, please.
I'm a little bit disappointed that nobody posted a more recent snapshot for windows. I would do it but I'm still too dumb to compile the game without error messages. :(
niso

Postby ctdabomb » 02 Nov 2012, 18:05

hmm.. Unfortunately, this is the most recent snapshot for windows. and since this package isn't available any more I think you will be stuck with 3.3 until the next version as there are no other SVN/GIT packages for windows that I know of.
Some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help smiling when you shove them down the stairs.
ctdabomb

Postby niso » 02 Nov 2012, 19:45

What I don't understand:
Is it really that hard for somebody with certain skills, which I don't have, to compile Supertux for all the windows users out there? It's not just me. We are millions of people. ;)
niso

Postby ctdabomb » 02 Nov 2012, 22:09

I have a version of that installed on a different computer through wine, but not the install file.... IDK if there is a way that you could use those or not....
sounds stupid of me.
ctdabomb

Postby niso » 02 Nov 2012, 22:24

Okay, ctdabomb...
Let's wait for LMH's reply. Maybe he can simply reupload the file ;)
niso

Postby ctdabomb » 02 Nov 2012, 22:31

I don't think that it was LMH. I think it was a person on the bugtracker who made it.... don't know who...
ctdabomb

Postby niso » 02 Nov 2012, 22:36

Oh, yes.... I'm think you're right. Hm... Wish me and all other windows users luck that he (or any other user, e.g. Hume2) still has the installation file anywhere.
niso

Postby charlie » 03 Nov 2012, 12:59

Surely we can get somebody to sort out a recent Windows build.

Probably could do with a Free Gamer article. Help for SuperTux, OpenDungeons... get me another top project and I'll write that article.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby NaN » 03 Nov 2012, 14:06

I am compiling foss games on windows for myself, would be happy to provide builds. I am not that much into writing installer scripts though. :twisted: (In case of SuperTux there is a inno setup script already it seems.)

One question would be where to upload/host the games, sourceforge?
NaN

Postby ctdabomb » 03 Nov 2012, 14:58

right now we are hosting all our files on google code, but that is just for supertux, don't know about other games.
ctdabomb

Postby NaN » 03 Nov 2012, 18:25

Compiled on Win7/VS2010 (installer version): supertux-0.3.3-GIT-win32-setup.exe

Would you guys accept portability patches(vs related)?
NaN

Postby niso » 04 Nov 2012, 20:48

Thank you so much for your help, NaN.

But your Version doesn't work for me. I can open the game and navigate through the menu. When I try to start the worldmap the game crashes: Supertux.exe does not work anymore.
I've tried to start the game as a admininstrator and let windows search for a solution for compatability issues -> Nothing worked.

Maybe I forgot some of the requirements for the game. Do you know some files I have to download/install befor I can play the game. I would search on the Wiki but it doesn't work today :?
niso

Postby LMH » 04 Nov 2012, 23:56

Thanks for bringing attention to the broken link, fortunately I kept a backup. I have updated the link, and you can also access it here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?fdiegf22ga217dd

It is still pre-Git, but better than nothing.

I also had problems with NaN's installation: it starts fine, but before the screen loads I get switched into window mode and get nothing but blackness, can still hear the music and navigate the menus (by memory since I cannot see), but when I start a game the program crashes.

I was able to fix the black screen issue by changing to windowed mode in a working build then exiting so that the preferences were saved. Now the main menu loads fine, so I suspect it's just related to the bug where you loose the image when switching between full screen and windowed combined with having too many versions of the game on my PC.

Unfortunately, the crash doesn't log anything in the command prompt window and instead you're left with the generic Windows program crash dialog requesting that you contact Microsoft for help, so I don't have much useful information to help isolate the problem. However, I did discover that the test collection levels work fine. Worldmaps seem to cause the crash as well as the old test collection. Not sure what that means, but perhaps it will help.

I've got some real life projects that I've got to take care of in the immediate future, so I probably won't be able to give a lot of aid to this right now. However, I think that your (NaN) efforts will be greatly appreciated by many players and will try to check in occasionally to see if there is any way I can help. It looks like everything installed correctly on quick inspection, but I will have to check in more detail if I can find time, perhaps it is a library issue (seems most likely). A working Windows build of the recent Git would be a phenomenal asset to the fans.
LMH

Postby NaN » 05 Nov 2012, 00:05

Sorry, it was my fault. The installer picked up the wrong exe. I re-upped a working/tested one. Would be great if someone could give it a try(link is the same).
NaN

Postby niso » 05 Nov 2012, 13:00

@Nan: I'll do it later. What about compiling the editor, too?
@LMH: Great that you saved your version.

After searching on the wiki a while, I recognized a this http://supertux.lethargik.org/wiki/User:Rgcjonas
It's a more recent version of supertux than yours, LMH, but it's older than yours, NaN.
When I have time, I'll try to structure the wiki. So that everybody can find these windows-snapshots.
niso

Postby niso » 05 Nov 2012, 20:52

@NaN: I've tried it and it works for me! Great work!

...but i noticed that i can't edit the wiki.
niso

Postby ctdabomb » 05 Nov 2012, 22:00

Do you have an account? it was finally locked to unregistered users because of the large amounts of spam. get an account and you should be able to edit pages. (unless they are certain pages that are locked.)
ctdabomb