Where to get the most recent version of SuperTux

Re: Where to get the most recent version of SuperTux

Postby niso » 05 Nov 2012, 22:08

I have an account... But the pages are locked ;)
niso

Postby NaN » 06 Nov 2012, 13:01

@niso Isn't the editor C#? Then the assembly should run on any supported platform.
NaN

Postby niso » 06 Nov 2012, 15:13

I'm someone you would call a noob in those things ;) So, please don't ask me.
Everything I know is:
http://supertux.lethargik.org/wiki/Buil ... the_editor
http://supertux.lethargik.org/wiki/Down ... vel_Editor
niso

Postby LMH » 06 Nov 2012, 21:34

Thanks NaN, the new version seems to work just fine. And thanks Niso for bringing to my attention Rgcjonas' builds- I hadn't realized they were still being upkept. I will update my links (thanks ctdabomb for adding them to the main list- my intent is to just keep the most recent version here so it is maximally idiot-proof; I think the most appropriate place for older versions is on the wiki, so I've cut the list on the main post here a bit).

Niso, if you just recently set up your wiki profile it may be a little while before you can actually edit pages, there is a little bit of a lag time before new accounts are truly viable to reduce the spam. However, there are a few pages that do have restricted access; for example the downloads page and main page. You will need to poke someone with privileges to get those changed.
LMH

Postby ctdabomb » 07 Nov 2012, 01:50

charlie {l Wrote}:Surely we can get somebody to sort out a recent Windows build.

Probably could do with a Free Gamer article. Help for SuperTux, OpenDungeons... get me another top project and I'll write that article.

maybe USF or one of the inactive projects on here?
Some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help smiling when you shove them down the stairs.
ctdabomb

Postby LMH » 15 Dec 2012, 00:55

FYI- Ubuntu users can now download binaries for SuperTux and the editor which are compiled daily and thus always current. Use the link in the top post to access the PPA.

If anyone has the expertise to set up something similar for other platforms, please do so and let us know. I'd like to see the need for snapshots eliminated.
LMH

Postby dusted » 05 Apr 2013, 12:24

Have you considered using jenkins to automatically build SuperTux when pushing to the git repository? That way you always have the latest and greatest binaries online ?
dusted

Postby LMH » 07 Apr 2013, 01:54

On quick inspection that looks exactly like what the project could use. I'm not familiar with Jenkins, and it would be a while before I have the time to figure it out. But if someone is able to take the initiative and put something together in the mean time, that would be great.
LMH

Postby dusted » 08 Apr 2013, 10:13

I already have a Jenkins server which is able to compile Wizznic! and some other things for 32/64 bit Linux and 32 Bit Windows.
I could have a look at getting it to build SuperTux automatically, I'm not exactly sure how many other things I need on the buildserver than C/C++/SDL/OpenGL, but I think I can find the time to check that out during the weekend.
dusted

Postby telebiker » 09 Apr 2013, 08:05

Hello!
There is an ice world and a forest world. What about other worlds?
telebiker

Postby LMH » 09 Apr 2013, 23:55

For additional worlds, check the "Contrib Levels" menu item. You can also add to the worlds listed in this menu. If you have the most recent build of SuperTux this is easily done by fist going to "Add-ons" and installing whatever is available online. More dated versions of the game may have the ability to install additional levels but lack very much content, for these you can install more levels manually (see http://supertux.lethargik.org/wiki/Levels#Third-party_levels). However, you should be aware that older versions of the game can have some pretty funky behavior with custom levels that use newer content.
LMH

Postby LMH » 02 Aug 2013, 04:31

I think I have a functional 32-bit Intel Mac OS X app bundle of the SuperTux 0.3.4 development shapshot. Anyone who has a Mac and cannot build from source, can try it out here. Please let me know if it works or doesn't because I don't have multiple Macs to test on. I do not expect it to work on a Power PC.
LMH

Postby LMH » 06 Aug 2013, 01:35

Well I've finally built SuperTux on Windows and have put together a 0.3.4 package that might work for others. I can only test on Windows 7, but it seems to work quite well. If Windows users would like to try it out and let me know about any success or failure that would be great. Download it here. After unzipping, you should be able to just open the supertux2 exe and play.
LMH

Postby Sauer2 » 06 Aug 2013, 11:07

Works here on Win 7 64-bit, too.
BTW: In the beginning are hint signs as well as those :!: boxes. Isn't that a little too much?
BTW2: Nice little pirate snowballs!
Sauer2

Postby LMH » 10 Aug 2013, 19:51

Glad to hear it worked.

You're right that the info block + help signs are a bit much. I'm not sure what the rationale for the redundancy is, or even if there is one (I think the signs were added later, maybe as a replacement). Perhaps the info blocks should be removed- it would simplify work for translations. Although I guess it doesn't really hurt anything and some people might prefer to read instructions.

Those pirate snowballs really are awesome- I am glad that they are actually in the game now.
LMH

Postby LMH » 02 Oct 2013, 08:12

Oops, I've been lazy and havn't updated the top posting in a while. Anyway there is a Windows binary for the 0.3.4 editor out there:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7214528/supertux.editor-0.3.4%2BGIT_20130831.zip

It requires Gtk# for .NET, which you can find here:
http://www.mono-project.com/Gtk-Sharp_Installer_for_.NET_Framework)
LMH

Postby Sauer2 » 03 Oct 2013, 13:50

Yep, seems to work.
Sauer2

Postby legobuilder » 14 Jan 2014, 09:02

LMH,
I downloaded the editor through the link Editor-windows you posted and i clicked on it, it didn't do anything.
I should have gtk-sharp installed

How do i open the editor please? :) :)
legobuilder

Postby LMH » 17 Jan 2014, 19:39

Hmmm... If you have gtk# installed, then it should just run. Have you tried reinstalling gtk# through the supplied links? If it's simply doing nothing (no error message or other feedback) it will be pretty hard to know what is going wrong.
LMH

Postby charlie » 13 Apr 2015, 10:02

Information in the top post is out of date.

This thread should probably be outmoded and a new one used.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator