Hello! I want to contribute

Hello! I want to contribute

Postby marcusvinicius » 31 Oct 2010, 18:11

Hello I'm musician and I know 2d and 3d art and I think I can help you with the last one but I felt a little confusing with your system. For example: I read you need a stone door 3d model, but what size? How it will look like? I can decide everything?

My site
marcusvinicius

Re: Hello! I want to contribute

Postby amuzen » 01 Nov 2010, 17:52

Hi,

I have been trying to collect information about the style to a project wiki page recently. The game has very little content at the moment and the style isn't established in practice, apart from perhaps character art, so some confusion is expected. The existing graphics, out of which many are placeholderish, can be found by browsing the git repository. Perhaps you could use them as a size reference for your own models or something like that.

In general, if there's something related to style and content that isn't documented in the wiki, you can decide it yourself. Any important decisions would be nice to discuss beforehand, but generally you can just read the relevant things from the wiki and follow your own judgment after that. I'd be glad to answer any questions or discuss things too so it's pretty much up to you to decide which way you'll work.

The task list is incomplete since there's still so much missing and thinking of and listing everything isn't practical. In general, the things from which the game would benefit the most at this point would be monsters, map objects and tiles (caves/buildings/furniture/plants/etc.), reagents and other collectibles (logs/ores/plants/etc.), various items (clothes/armor/crafting tools/steampunk style guns/etc.), and character art. You're free to pick yourself or come up with your own ideas too.

I'm not sure if the wiki explains some of the technicalities very well so if there's something that doesn't make sense to you, let me know and I'll try to clarify it. Well, as long as you create your model with Blender and use image textures and, in the case of animated models, armature modifiers, the rest of the work needed to get the model exported could be handled in no time.

By the way, may I ask where you heard about the game? Our publicity guy wanted to know for some reason. :p
amuzen
LoS Moderator

Postby marcusvinicius » 01 Nov 2010, 22:22

Hi, thanks for the explanation. I heard about you in Free Gamer blog
http://freegamer.blogspot.com/
marcusvinicius

Postby fraang » 06 Nov 2010, 21:21

Can anyone post the details about the formats, compressions, and so on? I think artist will need the infos. :)

For example:

Textures:
Format: DDS (Direct Draw Surface) - RGBA8
Mipmaps: Yes
Compression: None
fraang

Postby amuzen » 07 Nov 2010, 00:36

In short, save textures as DDS with mipmaps and DXT5 compression to test them in-game. RGBA8 and a couple of other DDS pixel formats are supported as well but DXT5 is the recommended one. I'll add a note to the wiki about the formats for future reference.

You don't necessarily need to worry about texture format or details on exporting models, though. The image format you use while modeling doesn't matter so you can use, for example, PNGs in Blender and send them and the Blend file to me and I'll get them converted and included to the game. For the most part, graphics look the same in-game as they do in Blender so it should be possible to create good looking things with good confidence even if you can't test in-game. Since documentation is still lacking, I'm prepared to take care of the technicalities myself if it makes it easier for artists to get started.

If there are any other questions or concerns, I'll be happy to address them. If there's enough demand, I might also be able to write some tutorials on how to create graphics and get them to show up in-game.
amuzen
LoS Moderator

Postby anark10n » 30 Jan 2011, 22:35

Yo

I'm up for making 3d content. Just like to know though, how far can i push the polygon count. I noticed the model of the girl is around 4000. Can i push that, because i'd really like the extra verts/polys to avoid some horrible mesh deforms.

No offense meant to your current 3d artists.
Last edited by anark10n on 03 Feb 2011, 11:40, edited 1 time in total.
anark10n

Postby freelikegnu » 31 Jan 2011, 06:03

I also heard about this game from the Free Gamer blog interview. the game and Blender script made for export works great so far with Ubuntu 10.10. I noticed the files require Blender 2.5+ and after putting the export script (from /usr/share/lipsofsuna/tool) in ~/.blender/scripts I had to set the scripts folder in the blender 2.5 preferences to that folder, in case anyone is getting stumped where I did.
freelikegnu